ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Transfer Portal

Pretty sad to lose a coach for the same position to a school like Wichita St and and not a P5 This off season is gonna need to drastically change or next year's team might be lucky to get to .500
A school like Wichita St? Lol. You mean one that has made 8 NCAAs since the last time UTEP did? Including a Sweet 16 (2015) and Final 4 (2013). They’ve won 12 games in the tournament since UTEP last did.

School like Wichita St. Please.

Speaking of Witchita State...Morris Udeze transferring. 6'8" 240lbs averaged 10/6/1 in the AAC. Started every game this year and got his free throw shooting above 72%.

Close to 1300 in the portal now

Reactions: MineroFanatico
A school like Wichita St? Lol. You mean one that has made 8 NCAAs since the last time UTEP did? Including a Sweet 16 (2015) and Final 4 (2013). They’ve won 12 games in the tournament since UTEP last did.

People are gonna very surprised when Golding leaves for a high mid major job.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

Lol, I knew you'd open your Big Mouth! Fact is they're not a Major and Utep obviously couldn't match. So my point is my point, regardless of their accomplishments over the last 10 years or so, keep it moving bruh!

Lol, I knew you'd open your Big Mouth! Fact is they're not a Major and Utep obviously couldn't match. So my point is my point, regardless of their accomplishments over the last 10 years or so, keep it moving bruh!
It’s clear you do not understand the hierarchy of college athletics or UTEP’s standing in it. Wichita is in a better league and is a better program. You also were throwing around Coastal Carolina as a CUSA candidate as 9 teams were leaving the conference.

• Haha
Reactions: nattybry
It’s clear you do not understand the hierarchy of college athletics or UTEP’s standing in it. Wichita is in a better league and is a better program. You also were throwing around Coastal Carolina as a CUSA candidate as 9 teams were leaving the conference.
A. Stop responding to my posts, I don't like you. So let this be the last time I humor you.
B. I understand it very well, which is why I obviously said it's sad UTEP lost an assistant to a school like that as a opposed to a High Major. That shows how far UTEP has truly fallen. Pay Attention and read between the lines dude!)
C. I don't remember mentioning Coastal Carolina particularly. However what does that have to do with anything? They recently became an FBS member and have shown success in football since moving up and in basketball they're relatively decent. I don't see how that proves your argument. You just like to start crap, bother someone else I'm done with you on this or any other subject.

A. Stop responding to my posts, I don't like you. So let this be the last time I humor you.
B. I understand it very well, which is why I obviously said it's sad UTEP lost an assistant to a school like that as a opposed to a High Major. That shows how far UTEP has truly fallen. Pay Attention and read between the lines dude!)
C. I don't remember mentioning Coastal Carolina particularly. However what does that have to do with anything? They recently became an FBS member and have shown success in football since moving up and in basketball they're relatively decent. I don't see how that proves your argument. You just like to start crap, bother someone else I'm done with you on this or any other subject.
Because you refer to Wichita St as “a school like that”. They’re obviously a better job than UTEP. You call it “starting crap”, I call it, “calling out dumb/uninformed opinions”.

Golding really has his work cut out now. He has said that the portal is something you have to deal with and utilize. When Jans lost a bunch of players he replaced them from the portal and won. Golding is going to have to do that too. Tough after losing his best recruiter. If Kennedy, Sibley and Z stay that would help a bit. Get the Newtons and a solid big and maybe we are back in business.

Amazing how everything came apart at the seams considering how much we heard about how close this team was.

Apparently there was even some woman who worked at the hotel the team was staying at who commented on how close everybody seemed blah blah blah blah blah.

Facade?

Last edited:
Amazing how everything came apart at the seams considering how much we heard about how close this team was.

Apparently there was even some woman who worked at the hotel the team was staying at who commented on how close everybody seemed blah blah blah blah blah.

Facade?

Probably a fake story.

It's coach speak and it's easy to say because it can't be disputed.

This is the reality that the NCAA created. The fans pushed for freedom for the players and now we don’t like it. Deal with it. You can root for your team no matter who’s wearing the jersey. Just shows that these gentlemen are not interested in an education.
We will all see you can coach and who can’t.!
Free agency has basically come to college basketball and it’s ugly for most schools. Just look at the numbers in the portal.

This is the reality that the NCAA created. The fans pushed for freedom for the players and now we don’t like it. Deal with it. You can root for your team no matter who’s wearing the jersey. Just shows that these gentlemen are not interested in an education.
We will all see you can coach and who can’t.!

I still think my idea of every student athlete can sign 1 Full Ride D1 scholarship is the solution. IF you want to transfer, go ahead, but the next school can only offer 50%.

IF you think that you can gamble on yourself, sign with your first choice for 50% and save the Full Ride for a P5 or whatever. But you only get one shot at a Full Ride. Now if you have NIL deals, then hey, transfer and let the NIL deal pay your other 50%.

But I think its ridiculous that guys play for 3 or 4 Universities in a 4-5 year spanand every time they want to Transfer, they are wined and dined and flown all over the country. Then they get to trade one Full Ride for another without even passing courses or making graduation progress. Its madness.

I still think my idea of every student athlete can sign 1 Full Ride D1 scholarship is the solution. IF you want to transfer, go ahead, but the next school can only offer 50%.

IF you think that you can gamble on yourself, sign with your first choice for 50% and save the Full Ride for a P5 or whatever. But you only get one shot at a Full Ride. Now if you have NIL deals, then hey, transfer and let the NIL deal pay your other 50%.

But I think its ridiculous that guys play for 3 or 4 Universities in a 4-5 year spanand every time they want to Transfer, they are wined and dined and flown all over the country. Then they get to trade one Full Ride for another without even passing courses or making graduation progress. Its madness.
What's the return on investment?

It's easy to dump on CJG at this point, but as some have said, this is the reality of what college sports is all about in today's environment and rules (or lack thereof). I think CJG was the first to know this mass exodus was coming, including our top recruiting assistant- no matter what he said in public. I have to remind myself that he came from an environment at ACU that dealt with player defections and assistant turnover from year-to year for 10 years straight and still came out a winner because he's was respected by his players, had some skill as a coach and knew how to make up for his deficiencies by hiring the right assistants around him. Additionally, he convinced the administration and students there to buy into the program. It didn't happen overnight and he stayed until it bore fruit. Everything inside me tells me he's going to do the same thing here at UTEP. We'll know soon enough, but until then, I'm not going to get too excited over who stays and who leaves from year-to year. Besides, what other choice do we have? Other than bitch, moan and complain.

GO MINERS!

We will see how all these transfers effect next season. I think CJG can utilize the transfer portal to build a team that is best suited to his style. Not that there was anything wrong with this season's players, but it is easier for a coach to seek out transfers that would best fit their style than trying to forcefully mold current players into it. There are over 1700 players in the portal and a 20 win season should do well to attract the right type of talent.

FYI… I was listening to Kappy last night and he started off by saying that we shouldn’t have been surprised because the whispers were that there was going to be a mass exodus and they were just surprised that it took So long for everybody to announce their decisions to enter the portal. He also stated that word is that Kennedy’s decision could still take about a week until we hear anything.
As for Pierre leaving, he says that he wouldn’t be surprised if Spriggs got promoted. Golding is very high on him and he’s been all over the recruiting trail.

I don't see Kennedy staying. He's a high major commodity with size and skill. For his own good he should go to a big school. I'm sure ASU remembers what he did to them a couple of years ago.

Reactions: denverutep
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT