ADVERTISEMENT

OT: panhandlers around UTEP

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
I don’t ever recall a winter when there were this many beggars/homeless people along Mesa near UTEP.

I just tell them, “Hey man, I’ve got my own family to take care of.”

it's insane where I live lately. I usually tell them I don't carry cash (cause who does anymore?), until they start talking about apple pay and atm withdraws. That's when I laugh in their face and keep walking

Reactions: unihorn
There’s a black guy that sits on a bench on the Durango Street bridge leading to Southwest University Park always asking for money. He’s been there for every Chihuahuas game for the past five seasons. Last Saturday he was there too for the Locomotive game. This guy has quite a little tax free enterprise going. I just ignore him.

From what I know, homelessness is down. Although they may be choosing new spots to congregate.

Remember that terrible murder in downtown El Paso a few years ago? That was done by homeless people from San Angelo who would come down here.

Reactions: topminer
I became homeless to own the libs, MAGA!
Once again, don't you have a tattoo appointment? :p

They travel and El Paso is a hot spot because of weather and EPPD tried cracking down on them a few years ago but the citinzery told the chief to "back off....don't be mean", etc. Central has some vets who are struggling to adjust back to civilian life and their story is heartbreaking and end up working Dyer (especially lower Dyer) due to addiction. I met one such man and locals helped him with his military hardship paperwork and red tape to get off the streets.

Just came back from an extended road trip across Texas. I’ll probably expand in a separate thread but I was amazed by the homeless issues in other cities. Tent cities all over the place.

Here in Denver, Hickenlooper, when mayor, came up with a plan to eliminate homelessness. The city poured tens of $millions into accommodations and services for the homeless. Guess what happened? We got a much bigger problem.

It's a perfect lesson in government action but the people who matter don't want to learn.

ELP is mild compared to Austin, and Austin is nothing compared to Denver.
Ever since Colorado legalized marijuana, the homeless rate increased 3 fold. Most are juveniles (for some reason a lot of them are from Houston) and vets seeking ptsd treatment. It's a drain on the city budget and resources yet it's sad to see people living on the street especially with brutal winter we've had this year. So what is one to do......

Come to Seattle. We have tent cities that spring up overnight on the sidewalk. The cops litterally give people 3 days to move their tents. When they finally do move it's like 100 yds down the sidewalk. Where the process starts all over. We have a huge problem with needles left everywhere. Seattle is a great city but homelessness is a big issue and no one really knows how to address it. The Seattle times estimated it would cost 500 million a year to adequately address the situation. The odd part is there is no hotter economic city in the US than Seattle. There are more jobs than people and alot are 6 figure jobs.

Look at LA too. I went to Disneyland in November and the bums took over the bus benches near the park. They set up traps against the bench almost like you would do as a kid with bed sheets and your parents’ couch. And no one says a thing.

We should open the borders and let more people in. Afterall, it's the humane thing to do. We need more people living on the streets cuz like, we don't have enough already...

There’s a black guy that sits on a bench on the Durango Street bridge leading to Southwest University Park always asking for money. He’s been there for every Chihuahuas game for the past five seasons. Last Saturday he was there too for the Locomotive game. This guy has quite a little tax free enterprise going. I just ignore him.
Him being black is irrelevant to this....

Ever since Colorado legalized marijuana, the homeless rate increased 3 fold. Most are juveniles (for some reason a lot of them are from Houston) and vets seeking ptsd treatment. It's a drain on the city budget and resources yet it's sad to see people living on the street especially with brutal winter we've had this year. So what is one to do......
Thats odd lol, how are houstonians landing over there

We should open the borders and let more people in. Afterall, it's the humane thing to do. We need more people living on the streets cuz like, we don't have enough already...

Most of the homeless population in my experience are American citizens. I've rarely if ever seen a person on the street that's not American. Immigrants especially undocumented ones are deathly affraid of any action that would result in any type of interaction with any type of law enforcement or government agency. As a result they will live with 10 or 20 in a very small apartment but not on the streets.

Crack, 211's, hurricanes, 4 dollar pack of cigarettes named after small towns in Wyoming and Montana, dirty socks, the bum life aint for the faint of heart.

Can we not be political asses about this? I'll hold my fire for the sake of being pleasant.

Reactions: MistaBinks
"The good, the bad and the ugly" when politicians get aggressive with the homeless. I gave you one example that happened in El Paso when the chief got aggressive. The city turned on him. In Hawaii, one took it to another level in 2013 and in 2015 he literally got his head bashed in by the homeless. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/30/tom-brower-beaten-hawaii_n_7698086.html

We put a price on people in this country (slavery). We abolished slavery and allowed child labor during reconstruction and into early 20th century and turned a blind eye to the underground railroad to help build american infrastructure. El Paso has tunnels under Sunset Heights that were part of the UR. No president pushed a call to spirit to rebuild the country until shit happened and FDR created programs for all to get back to work. Jim Crow reared it's ugly head and the north was just as bad as blacks went to Chicago and the Burroughs up north. Mexicans lived on site near the crops they worked ( Bracero program was not in effect yet) and settled the southwest and So Cal in numbers just like the Germans, Irish and Italians much earlier. Uncle Sam said if you fight for me, I'll send you to college and path to citizenship (which was and still is a lie if you have a minor felony). American pushed a "See Dick or Jane run!" culture. Sad part his, humanity does not work this way. It doesn't "take a village" or "I'm my brother's keeper" goes so far. Villages shun people for whatever reason and my brother hates my f'en guts: Christians thrown out of their church for being gay or transgender. Women assaulted then turned on when they seek help from law enforcement or proper authorities. Even worse if it's a person of influence or power. Those with special needs: Full disclosure, this one hits home but I literally get ill seeing the football program getting new digs, new weight lifting equipment....a new college like stadium and yet special needs diag's get axed or thinned due to budget reasons. Special needs child is on a specific diet and the cafeteria fights it (yes, it happens in El Paso) but the qb needs to bulk up, the O lineman needs to trim down and accommodations are made. That is shunning our village. You see, they can't produce or run the front POS system, therefore, they don't have that much value. Now, you're a young child with learning problems. He gets no help, but needs help. He is picked on. He gets a tough skin and talks with switchblade mouth. By late twenties, he is addicted to alcohol at the very least and once divorced. He got back from Iraq and fighting demons. He gets no help just like he didn't in high school. He is doing everything now. He calls a former girlfriend. He's broke, confused, depressed, can't learn his job like his boss wants. He has a gun in his hand. She begs "DON'T". Silence after getting her ear drums blown out through her cell phone.

You all get my drift? You have no value, you have no worth. You have no worth, you feel like you have no soul. Let's stop buying all the ammo we can possibly get and do you really need that F-250 or bigger when a F-150 can do just fine? You don't need a Glock. Go to animal rescue and get a dog. Your "herding" breeds do nicely watching the Ponderosa while you're away. We all love America? Tell your state and federal congressional reps to actually support family farms! I'm married into a family farm. The state and feds stick it where the sun doesn't shine. And yes, they really do feed the world but yet a farmers yield is a nice "bargaining chip" when we....wait for it....wait for it....Bingo! When we got to war.

Where did all these homeless come from? We created the problem. They just follow the money and the sun. Nothing has changed coming out of the civil war. Grampy had a good job and nice tract home working at Asarco. We now want El Paso to be a real big city with The Cheesecake Factory on the west side. It comes with a price.

Reactions: develman
"The good, the bad and the ugly" when politicians get aggressive with the homeless. I gave you one example that happened in El Paso when the chief got aggressive. The city turned on him. In Hawaii, one took it to another level in 2013 and in 2015 he literally got his head bashed in by the homeless. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/30/tom-brower-beaten-hawaii_n_7698086.html

We put a price on people in this country (slavery). We abolished slavery and allowed child labor during reconstruction and into early 20th century and turned a blind eye to the underground railroad to help build american infrastructure. El Paso has tunnels under Sunset Heights that were part of the UR. No president pushed a call to spirit to rebuild the country until shit happened and FDR created programs for all to get back to work. Jim Crow reared it's ugly head and the north was just as bad as blacks went to Chicago and the Burroughs up north. Mexicans lived on site near the crops they worked ( Bracero program was not in effect yet) and settled the southwest and So Cal in numbers just like the Germans, Irish and Italians much earlier. Uncle Sam said if you fight for me, I'll send you to college and path to citizenship (which was and still is a lie if you have a minor felony). American pushed a "See Dick or Jane run!" culture. Sad part his, humanity does not work this way. It doesn't "take a village" or "I'm my brother's keeper" goes so far. Villages shun people for whatever reason and my brother hates my f'en guts: Christians thrown out of their church for being gay or transgender. Women assaulted then turned on when they seek help from law enforcement or proper authorities. Even worse if it's a person of influence or power. Those with special needs: Full disclosure, this one hits home but I literally get ill seeing the football program getting new digs, new weight lifting equipment....a new college like stadium and yet special needs diag's get axed or thinned due to budget reasons. Special needs child is on a specific diet and the cafeteria fights it (yes, it happens in El Paso) but the qb needs to bulk up, the O lineman needs to trim down and accommodations are made. That is shunning our village. You see, they can't produce or run the front POS system, therefore, they don't have that much value. Now, you're a young child with learning problems. He gets no help, but needs help. He is picked on. He gets a tough skin and talks with switchblade mouth. By late twenties, he is addicted to alcohol at the very least and once divorced. He got back from Iraq and fighting demons. He gets no help just like he didn't in high school. He is doing everything now. He calls a former girlfriend. He's broke, confused, depressed, can't learn his job like his boss wants. He has a gun in his hand. She begs "DON'T". Silence after getting her ear drums blown out through her cell phone.

You all get my drift? You have no value, you have no worth. You have no worth, you feel like you have no soul. Let's stop buying all the ammo we can possibly get and do you really need that F-250 or bigger when a F-150 can do just fine? You don't need a Glock. Go to animal rescue and get a dog. Your "herding" breeds do nicely watching the Ponderosa while you're away. We all love America? Tell your state and federal congressional reps to actually support family farms! I'm married into a family farm. The state and feds stick it where the sun doesn't shine. And yes, they really do feed the world but yet a farmers yield is a nice "bargaining chip" when we....wait for it....wait for it....Bingo! When we got to war.

Where did all these homeless come from? We created the problem. They just follow the money and the sun. Nothing has changed coming out of the civil war. Grampy had a good job and nice tract home working at Asarco. We now want El Paso to be a real big city with The Cheesecake Factory on the west side. It comes with a price.

So the homeless are victims of American society? Or more specifically, white American, consumers (men)?

What’s your point?

P.S., paragraphs would help.

Or maybe they’re homeless cuz all those people crossing the border took their jobs...

Reactions: jdubb66
Well, they study this stuff. Most of the homeless are mentally ill or opioid addicts. There's a new group of the working poor (moms who work at walmart and their kids) who are homeless.

There will obviously be some ideological differences in how to handle the situation.

But strides have been made with veterans. Thankfully. Good stuff can happen when people put down their partisan hats and just try to be good people. Veteran Homelessness is down by half!

https://iava.org/end-veteran-homelessness-iava-recommendations/

If we would treat everyone with dignity, and we all would abide by your laws, this country would be a much better place.
For some reason the hate has overwhelmed our country!!
Does anyone know why? More important what can we do to change it?

Reactions: minermx07
If we would treat everyone with dignity, and we all would abide by your laws, this country would be a much better place.
Well, there are theories, but they are just theories.

There are two big theories.

Theory 1) The Echo Chamber. Republicans watch Fox News and listen to talk radio. Democrats watch MSNBC and listen to Podcasts. They are living in different worlds where their thoughts are just reinforced. When a different idea comes into their world, it's violently oppressed.

Theory 2) The Great Political Realignment of the 60s. Political Parties used to be economically driven. There were Conservative Democrats. There were Liberal Republicans. Republicans in the Northeast. Democrats in the deep South. The Culture Wars shifted everyone. Politics became more personality driven and ideological. Things got uglier.

There's another theory that I hope gains steam. It's called Assymetrical Polarization.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
1st sentence yes yes yes.

I think hate is exaggerated. It's mostly just conflicting point of views based on different backgrounds, experiences and/or levels of education.

Or maybe they’re homeless cuz all those people crossing the border took their jobs...
Lol that is stupid, illegals are not taking any jobs americans want to do. Illegals come in and work cleaning, fast food or in the fields....Quit blaming illegals for americans being lazy if they really wanted a job they could get it. I live in the rgv which is 90% hispanic and about 80% of the panhandlers are white. The hispanic homeless here usually will offer you a service or will be selling food etc to make money instead of just straight up asking for money. Im really young so ive worked in fast food recently before i got into the oil industry and trust me homeless who really want a job can go get it. I have witnessed lt and they get hired. Also let me guess you blame illegals for americans wanting to do drugs.... cmon now us as americans need to stop blaming illegals.

Can we not be political asses about this? I'll hold my fire for the sake of being pleasant.
In my defense, I was just being a smart ass. I honestly don't think either political side is to blame, nor do I notice more homeless people than before either. Like I mentioned in a previous comment (which everyone seems to have missed), the influx to the UTEP area is a direct result of the rescue mission being torn down. It was in close proximity to UTEP. I heard many people wondering where those folks would go. Well, there ya go...

A lot of the homeless are druggies. Some are vets (an effing shame), but some use the vet tag to get sympathy and money when in reality they never served. True story, I have seen MANY so called homeless get into nice rides and drive away.

The city passed an ordinance years ago trying to keep homeless people off corners and out of traffic. They claimed they were trying to be safe, when in fact I honestly believe they just wanted them out of sight. Gradually, they have returned.
Eh....I dont know. I don't think it's a larger issue as much as a more visible issue, but thats just me....

Unfortunately, some people go through rough spots in life and homelessness is their only option. Others are able bodied, but realize that there is money to be made on the streets, especially if you involve people and pulling at their heart strings. A rule I have is that I will never give a person money. I will offer to by them a meal or put gas in their vehicle, but the person asking will never gain physical control of any monies.

It is surprising at how many people "begging" will reject the offer of food, when they say they are hungry, or gas, when they are traveling through town and ran out of gas. Of all the times that I have offered these alternatives, only about 7 or 8 people have accepted. The others keep asking for the money and I finally just walk away.

Reactions: axingfools1
Here are some situations that would prevent someone from using a shelter, according to Denver Homeless Out Loud:

“All those who love their husband or wife and feel safer together than separated as shelters do to couples…
All those who work late nights and can’t get into a shelter…
All those who work nights and have no option to sleep in a shelter in the day...
All those who work early morning day labor and can’t get out of the shelter in time to work…
All those women who are traumatized by male staff in the bunk areas wakingwomen to kick them out…
All those with pets or service animals who are rejected from shelters…
All those who can’t conform toregimented rules…
All those who can’t handle being ordered around and degraded by staff…
All those with insomnia who can’t watch TV or read but must be in bed with no cell phones...
All those who have stayed in a shelter program for ninety days with a promise of housing to no avail and given up on service providers…
All those who have been kicked out at 3 a.m. for no fault of their own because staff failed to sign them in or enter their chores in the records…
All those who need food in the night and fear being kicked out for keeping food with them in bed against the rules…
All those who don’t want to sleep with bedbugs...
All those suffering a drug addiction that can’t pass a urine analysis to stay in the shelters…
All those don’t make it in the lottery to get a bed…
All those who can’t get down on the floor to sleep on a mat…
All those with more than two bags of belongings who either go into the shelter and lose their property, or stay outside to keep their property...
All those trans-gender folks who have been abused in a shelter or forced to strip to prove their sex…
All those who want their time back from waiting in lines for early admission hours to get into a shelter…
All those who don’t want to be preached to by shelter providers…
All those with mental health struggles who can’t handle being around hundreds of people in a tight space…
All those released from the hospital at 1 a.m. onto the streets…
All those physically unable to move about when police ask them...
All those who feel safer staying outside with friends than in a building with strangers…
All those who feel safer or happier staying by themselves on the streets than with hundreds of people in a shelter…
All those who prefer the dignity of a tent to the warehousing and dehumanizing treatment of a shelter…
All those who want control of their own life and choices…“

In ancient Rome there were panhandlers. In any civilization you will have a bell curve and that curve will have has proven time after time that the cream rises to the top and also shows that people will be on the other side of the curve. But most of us will be centered.

Life isn't fair, sorry.

Lol that is stupid, illegals are not taking any jobs americans want to do. Illegals come in and work cleaning, fast food or in the fields....Quit blaming illegals for americans being lazy if they really wanted a job they could get it. I live in the rgv which is 90% hispanic and about 80% of the panhandlers are white. The hispanic homeless here usually will offer you a service or will be selling food etc to make money instead of just straight up asking for money. Im really young so ive worked in fast food recently before i got into the oil industry and trust me homeless who really want a job can go get it. I have witnessed lt and they get hired. Also let me guess you blame illegals for americans wanting to do drugs.... cmon now us as americans need to stop blaming illegals.
Problem is all the government handouts have made us lazy. Why work when you know the government is not going to let you starve, and will put a roof over your head for almost nothing.
There was a time when people wanted a hand up not a handout. I’m afraid those days are gone. That’s why “Americans “ won’t do those jobs. No need to work that hard. What a shame.

let's also keep in mind that many of these "poor" homeless folk do it because they enjoy that lifestyle. I've known dudes like that.

Some people do the 9-5, others would rather beg for money and drink and do drugs all day. Im not sure which is the more appealing lifestyle myself, honestly...

Reactions: MineroFanatico
let's also keep in mind that many of these "poor" homeless folk do it because they enjoy that lifestyle. I've known dudes like that.

Some people do the 9-5, others would rather beg for money and drink and do drugs all day. Im not sure which is the more appealing lifestyle myself, honestly...

That’s a fair point. There was a guy who used to sit and beg near Montwood and George Dieter back in the day and he lived in a house down the street from my mother in law. For him, panhandling was a full time job and at the end of the day he just went home to his house.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
That’s a fair point. There was a guy who used to sit and beg near Montwood and George Dieter back in the day and he lived in a house down the street from my mother in law. For him, panhandling was a full time job and at the end of the day he just went home to his house.

Seen it alot lol at the gas stations, mom comes in with kids all dirty gives story then leaves in huge f250 super duty

Seen it alot lol at the gas stations, mom comes in with kids all dirty gives story then leaves in huge f250 super duty

Or how about the people who go door to door and say they need money for gas, or their kid’s medicine?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT