ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sun Bowl

I hate having to hope another city loses their bowl for the year.

Barring a Boise State drop I don't imagine there are too many options though. I see social media posts wanting UTEP, which isn't going to happen.

I see some want other schools that probably haven't practiced since the week of Thanksgiving

Boise State pulled out of Arizona Bowl. WSU needs to to decide to play Central Michigan in Arizona or in El Paso

MinerManiac getting some pub from KLAQ?😄

It has been brought to our attention that there IS A COUPON ON THE BACK OF THE TICKETS! On our App Chat, user MinerManiac let us know that he would definitely take free tickets to the Sun Bowl game even if it doesn't happen all because of the coupon!

"if it doesn't happen i can still use the coupon on the back! $1 drink at circle k or sonic is usually the coupons on the back"
Now, in the tickets that we have at the station (listen up to MoSho for your chance to score some free tickets) the back of the tickets have a coupon to Rudy's BBQ. Sounds amazing, right? The great thing is that the coupon doesn't expire until March!"

https://klaq.com/dont-throw-out-your-sun-bowl-tickets-take-advantage-of-that-coupon/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=KLAQ 2021 2021-12-27&utm_term=KLAQ Smart List 2020

MinerManiac getting some pub from KLAQ?😄

It has been brought to our attention that there IS A COUPON ON THE BACK OF THE TICKETS! On our App Chat, user MinerManiac let us know that he would definitely take free tickets to the Sun Bowl game even if it doesn't happen all because of the coupon!

Now, in the tickets that we have at the station (listen up to MoSho for your chance to score some free tickets) the back of the tickets have a coupon to Rudy's BBQ. Sounds amazing, right? The great thing is that the coupon doesn't expire until March!"

https://klaq.com/dont-throw-out-your-sun-bowl-tickets-take-advantage-of-that-coupon/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=KLAQ 2021 2021-12-27&utm_term=KLAQ Smart List 2020
Wasn't me.

CMU has the type of coach I wish UTEP could get. Had success at the G5 level, took Florida to two bowl games and two top 25 finishes but his third year wasn't up to par so he was gone with a 22-12 record.

Now at CMU, making about the same that we pay Dimel.

Reactions: Taco1977
Kudos to Bernie Olivas, the PAC-12, the MAC, and everyone else involved for saving the Sun Bowl and making this game happen. This could actually end up being a better matchup, and one of the surprise sleeper games out of all the bowls. Washington State wanted to play, and Central Michigan definitely wanted to play. To the Chippewas, this is a huge opportunity for them to face a Power 5 opponent on national TV, instead of a Group of 5 opponent streamed on YouTube. No, it’s not Alabama, but to Central Michigan, it might as well be. They will come to El Paso hungry and ready to play, and most importantly, more appreciative of their bowl game opportunity than Miami would had ever been. I’ll be rooting for them this Friday, but at the end of the game, will applause both universities for saving the Sun Bowl game.

Now we need that Friday forecast fixed. One day of rain is forecast out of the next 10 and it has to be on Sun Bowl day.

Reactions: unihorn
Honestly, it's a crappy move if it's true they're negotiating CMU's payout down.

So what about the CMU fans that had already bought tickets to the Arizona Bowl? Or Miami Fans that had already bought tickets to the Sun Bowl? I predict 30 to 33,000 butts in the stands.

Reactions: kickballpro
Honestly, it's a crappy move if it's true they're negotiating CMU's payout down.

I dont know anything about this but bowl teams are required to purchase an allotment of tickets. So maybe they're was a compromise between buying tickets and the payout?

CMU's payout will go from around $300,000 in the Arizona Bowl to over a $1 million in the Sun Bowl....nothing crappy about that.
Well, if it goes from $3 or $4 million or whatever to 1 just because they're Central Michigan instead of Miami, then yes it is.

Well, if it goes from $3 or $4 million or whatever to 1 just because they're Central Michigan instead of Miami, then yes it is.

I respectfully disagree. The MAC was set to receive 150,000 from the Arizona Bowl. Instead, they are getting a million bucks. I'm quite certain they'll take that trade every day and twice on Sunday.

They saved the Sun Bowl and have to relocate the say before the game. They should get a full payout.

You have to understand that Bowl Teams are required to buy all their allotment or it gets taken out of their payout. I dont expect CMU to sell their tickets. I am sure a deal was made.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I'm fully aware of how the bowls work but CMU bailed out the Sun Bowl.
CMU could also be going home with nothing in their pocket, cause their bowl game was also in jeopardy of not being played. Now they will be on national tv and getting tons of publicity. Even if they had played Tuscon that is just a line on the bottom of ESPN.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
CMU could also be going home with nothing in their pocket, cause their bowl game was also in jeopardy of not being played. Now they will be on national tv and getting tons of publicity. Even if they had played Tuscon that is just a line on the bottom of ESPN.
The Sun Bowl is not great publicity. They could have tried to get another opponent in the Arizona Bowl. They would have certainly been invited to the Holiday Bowl a better Bowl in a better city. They stepped up and saved a dying bowl game.

Does anybody think that the Arizona Bowl also had to have their hands greased a little for having to be the ones left holding the bag?

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
The Sun Bowl is not great publicity. They could have tried to get another opponent in the Arizona Bowl. They would have certainly been invited to the Holiday Bowl a better Bowl in a better city. They stepped up and saved a dying bowl game.
You really think another team is going to play on 3 days notice for 150,000. So now we are not only going to sh on UTEP but the Sun Bowl also.
Is anyone on this board happy with living in El Paso.

You really think another team is going to play on 3 days notice for 150,000. So now we are not only going to sh on UTEP but the Sun Bowl also.
Is anyone on this board happy with living in El Paso.
Nobody is bashing UTEP. I think half of the people who post on this board don't live in El Paso. I don't care about what goes in the city. I just it would be a travesty if CMU didn't get a full payout. I don't think the Sun Bowl could survive two cancelations in a row.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Nobody is bashing UTEP. I think half of the people who post on this board don't live in El Paso. I don't care about what goes in the city. I just it would be a travesty if CMU didn't get a full payout. I don't think the Sun Bowl could survive two cancelations in a row.
Alright, but how can you possibly say the Sun Bowl is bad publicity when EP/SB rolls out the Red carpet and the bowl itself is nationally televised? To argue they should have shot for the Holiday Bowl is correct in hindsight, but there is no way to have known UCLA would pull out, especially with the coach’s comments earlier this week.

And let’s face it, it seems like there are a few on this board who are not happy about going from one to three to seven wins. Given how the past few years have gone, I just don’t get it.

Does anybody think that the Arizona Bowl also had to have their hands greased a little for having to be the ones left holding the bag?

I don't think so. You know the old adage that "he who has the gold makes the rules." The Sun Bowl pays more than 4 million more than the Arizona Bowl. No way the Arizona Bowl was gonna determine who gets to fill their available slot first.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT