ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sun Bowl

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
yahoo has Clemson vs Washington St.

That would be huge for the Sun Bowl if they can get Clemson.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Palm also has UNT vs Miami Ohio in the Bahamas bowl while McMurphy is reporting MTSU vs Toledo in the Bahamas Bowl is a done deal.
You’d think he’d have some Sun insider knowledge.

Does Pac 12 even have enough bowl eligible teams?? I see that they have 7 bowl tie ins. Only 6 teams are bowl eligible.

90% sure it will be Washington State vs a 6-6 team from the ACC.

I didn't realize we dropped a spot in the ACC pecking order this year.

IF (hypothetical) we could use the Sun Bowl to get the MWC invite, the match up would be San Diego St vs Washington St.

You can almost guarantee that the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl jumps us next season. They have the MWC champion currently. The window on that potential alliance would close.

Reactions: Hot For Keitha
90% sure it will be Washington State vs a 6-6 team from the ACC.

I didn't realize we dropped a spot in the ACC pecking order this year.

IF (hypothetical) we could use the Sun Bowl to get the MWC invite, the match up would be San Diego St vs Washington St.

You can almost guarantee that the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl jumps us next season. They have the MWC champion currently. The window on that potential alliance would close.
Jesus, Man — Sun Bowl isn’t leverage for UTEP.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Do y’all even understand how bowls work? If CBS dumps the Sun Bowl, you can stick a fork in it.
Yes, we understand. It doesn’t mean we can’t want to see something else. If Wash St comes, the last 7 Sun Bowls will have featured ASU 3 times and Stanford & Wash St twice each. At least the ACC has sent a different team each of those 7 years.

Not everyone in El Paso is 60 years old and will just blindly hand over their money for a continuous mediocre product.

Yes, we understand. It doesn’t mean we can’t want to see something else. If Wash St comes, the last 7 Sun Bowls will have featured ASU 3 times and Stanford & Wash St twice each. At least the ACC has sent a different team each of those 7 years.

Not everyone in El Paso is 60 years old and will just blindly hand over their money for a continuous mediocre product.
Today was Giving Tuesday.

Do y’all even understand how bowls work? If CBS dumps the Sun Bowl, you can stick a fork in it.
You understand that we give 4.4 million dollars? And only 300 thousand comes from CBS. We can get the same from NFL Network. Check your receipts next time you rent a car. That's how the Sun Bowl is funded. Not by CBS.

Maybe if the Sun Bowl would have changed networks years ago, it wouldn't be the low tier bowl it has become. It wouldn't get passed by every new Bowl Game that pops up.

You understand that we give 4.4 million dollars? And only 300 thousand comes from CBS. We can get the same from NFL Network. Check your receipts next time you rent a car. That's how the Sun Bowl is funded. Not by CBS.

Maybe if the Sun Bowl would have changed networks years ago, it wouldn't be the low tier bowl it has become. It wouldn't get passed by every new Bowl Game that pops up.
The Alamo Bowl outbids Sun Bowl every time. Not my words, go ask Bernie. The channel does not matter.

Reactions: kickballpro
Yeah, I’m sure other networks are just itching to pick up the Sun Bowl game.

Yeah, I’m sure other networks are just itching to pick up the Sun Bowl game.
ESPN shows lower tier bowls. Why wouldn't they broadcast the Sun Bowl?

So many people believe that it is so important that the Sun Bowl stay on CBS. I just don't get it. Back when I was a kid, when a anyone who had cable was the envy of their classmates, being on a broadcast network was huge. Now with the proliferation of cable/satellite/streaming it makes no difference. Much, much bigger bowls than the Sun Bowl are on ESPN, they don't seem to care that they're not on a broadcast network. Like I said, smaller bowls are on there, too. There certainly would be a place for the Sun Bowl.

Oh, and can someone please tell me how being on CBS has helped the Sun Bowl? It used to be no surprise if a couple of ranked teams played in the Sun Bowl. For years we've been sliding further and further down the pecking order. It seems that the PAC-12 and the ACC don't care about being on a broadcast network either, as they keep allowing ESPN televised bowls to pick earlier than the Sun Bowl. It's time for the Sunnies to stop worrying about that CBS affiliation.

ESPN shows lower tier bowls. Why wouldn't they broadcast the Sun Bowl?

So many people believe that it is so important that the Sun Bowl stay on CBS. I just don't get it. Back when I was a kid, when a anyone who had cable was the envy of their classmates, being on a broadcast network was huge. Now with the proliferation of cable/satellite/streaming it makes no difference. Much, much bigger bowls than the Sun Bowl are on ESPN, they don't seem to care that they're not on a broadcast network. Like I said, smaller bowls are on there, too. There certainly would be a place for the Sun Bowl.

Oh, and can someone please tell me how being on CBS has helped the Sun Bowl? It used to be no surprise if a couple of ranked teams played in the Sun Bowl. For years we've been sliding further and further down the pecking order. It seems that the PAC-12 and the ACC don't care about being on a broadcast network either, as they keep allowing ESPN televised bowls to pick earlier than the Sun Bowl. It's time for the Sunnies to stop worrying about that CBS affiliation.
Then why hasn’t another network outbid CBS?

It's not just what a network pays to broadcast, I'm sure there are other agreements/details that the Sun Bowl and CBS have. 300,000 doesn't seem like a lot but the other obligations etc may add to this. The whole bowl situation has really downgraded the Sun Bowl and not sure CBS is to blame. I think the SB needs to evaluate it's position but I don't think they have much leverage in any direction.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Then why hasn’t another network outbid CBS?
I doubt that the Sunnies have ever shopped it. They all think that having the bowl game on a broadcast network is still a big deal (like I said above, it isn't), and brag about the CBS affiliation, even though the match ups that they are able to produce haven't been very attractive for quite a while. Now I doubt that ESPN would match the $300K we are getting from CBS, but as others have pointed out only a small percentage of the money generated for the Sun Bowl comes from our contract with CBS. The Sun Bowl doesn't need CBS to survive, but, like you, the Sunnies don't see it that way.

I doubt that the Sunnies have ever shopped it. They all think that having the bowl game on a broadcast network is still a big deal (like I said above, it isn't), and brag about the CBS affiliation, even though the match ups that they are able to produce haven't been very attractive for quite a while. Now I doubt that ESPN would match the $300K we are getting from CBS, but as others have pointed out only a small percentage of the money generated for the Sun Bowl comes from our contract with CBS. The Sun Bowl doesn't need CBS to survive, but, like you, the Sunnies don't see it that way.
I doubt there are any other takers.

The Cure Bowl was on CBS Sports Network and now it’s on ESPN2. Why would the Cure Bowl get other takers, but not the Sun Bowl?
Obviously a bowl with a 500k payout pitting the AAC vs Sun Belt, that struggles to draw 20k is way more attractive. The Sun Belt has a lowly payout of 4.5 million, two P5 teams, and crowds consistently around 45k. Hopefully CBS never leaves or it will end up on Facebook live or maybe even completely off tv.

It's not just what a network pays to broadcast, I'm sure there are other agreements/details that the Sun Bowl and CBS have. 300,000 doesn't seem like a lot but the other obligations etc may add to this. The whole bowl situation has really downgraded the Sun Bowl and not sure CBS is to blame. I think the SB needs to evaluate it's position but I don't think they have much leverage in any direction.
The Sun Bowl gets most of its money from the Rental Tax, Ticket Sales, and sponsor. Unless El Paso - who buys the large majority of tickets stop buying tickets for 9-3 MWC teams, the bowl will be fine, no matter where it’s broadcast

Obviously a bowl with a 500k payout pitting the AAC vs Sun Belt, that struggles to draw 20k is way more attractive. The Sun Belt has a lowly payout of 4.5 million, two P5 teams, and crowds consistently around 45k. Hopefully CBS never leaves or it will end up on Facebook live or maybe even completely off tv.
Exactly

The last Sun Bowl had higher tv ratings than most ESPN bowls, not counting the New Year's Bowls or playoffs. Only 6 ESPN bowls had higher tv ratings.

The last Sun Bowl had higher tv ratings than most ESPN bowls, not counting the New Year's Bowls or playoffs. Only 6 ESPN bowls had higher tv ratings.

True, but CBS isn't giving the money that the ratings deserve. Disney/ABC/ESPN could bury the Sun Bowl with TV money. Las Vegas Bowl surpassed the Sun this year. That's an ESPN Bowl. Jimmy Kimmel Bowl is the new Bowl on the Block and they are on ABC.

The Holiday Bowl and Las Vegas Bowl will now switch in the pecking order every other year and both are ahead of the Sun.

TV Ratings are a worthless stat if the Network is paying peanuts.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
One of those was the Pinstripe Bowl with Miss St and Wake Forest. Which was broadcast on a Friday afternoon at 320p EST.

BTW, yesterday on SportsTalk, Bernie was telling Steve that Oregon State was ahead of Washington State. And Steve had to correct him and say no Washington State has a better record in Conference. So Bernie started saying that Washington State will probably come then.

But the guy hosting the show had to tell the Sun Bowl guy who's coming.

True, but CBS isn't giving the money that the ratings deserve. Disney/ABC/ESPN could bury the Sun Bowl with TV money. Las Vegas Bowl surpassed the Sun this year. That's an ESPN Bowl. Jimmy Kimmel Bowl is the new Bowl on the Block and they are on ABC.

The Holiday Bowl and Las Vegas Bowl will now switch in the pecking order every other year and both are ahead of the Sun.

TV Ratings are a worthless stat if the Network is paying peanuts.
Then why haven’t they pulled up the Brinks truck?

Then why haven’t they pulled up the Brinks truck?
CBS isn't committed to college football. ESPN pulled out the Brinks truck and outbid them for SEC.

In 2023 the best on CBS will be MW and if they decide to resign CUSA to CBS Sports. Doubt it though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT