ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sun Bowl

Alright, but how can you possibly say the Sun Bowl is bad publicity when EP/SB rolls out the Red carpet and the bowl itself is nationally televised? To argue they should have shot for the Holiday Bowl is correct in hindsight, but there is no way to have known UCLA would pull out, especially with the coach’s comments earlier this week.

And let’s face it, it seems like there are a few on this board who are not happy about going from one to three to seven wins. Given how the past few years have gone, I just don’t get it.
The Sun Bowl is not bad publicity but it's not a game changer for CMU's recruiting of fundraising. The point about the Holiday Bowl is that CMU had the leverage and if they wanted to use on the Sun Bowl they could have. If they would have waited 12 more hours they would have been invited to the Holiday Bowl. My point was CMU didn't try to extort the Sun Bowl and I think the Sun Bowl should pay them a full payout. A cancelled Sun Bowl would have been way more damaging to the Sun Bowl than it would be to CMU football.

The Sun Bowl is not bad publicity but it's not a game changer for CMU's recruiting of fundraising. The point about the Holiday Bowl is that CMU had the leverage and if they wanted to use on the Sun Bowl they could have. If they would have waited 12 more hours they would have been invited to the Holiday Bowl. My point was CMU didn't try to extort the Sun Bowl and I think the Sun Bowl should pay them a full payout. A cancelled Sun Bowl would have been way more damaging to the Sun Bowl than it would be to CMU football.
Their previous bowl game was set to streamed while the Sun Bowl is going to be nationally broadcast on CBS; of course that would be better for them recruiting and fundraising wise. Saying that their program played on CBS, regardless of circumstance, would have helped them.

There was no possible way for CMU to have had any leverage when UCLA’s head coach re affirmed they would play in the bowl game as of last night. They don’t have leverage right now either because the Holiday Bowl would more than likely prefer to poach WSU than CMU to keep their ACC P12 tie ins.

Nobody is bashing UTEP. I think half of the people who post on this board don't live in El Paso. I don't care about what goes in the city. I just it would be a travesty if CMU didn't get a full payout. I don't think the Sun Bowl could survive two cancelations in a row.
I don't live in EP anymore, but I read the EP times, follow what's going on and see what's newly developed in El Paso, cause it's my home town and I have pride in where I grew up! So I definitely care about the perception El Paso, UTEP and the Sun Bowl get!

Their previous bowl game was set to streamed while the Sun Bowl is going to be nationally broadcast on CBS; of course that would be better for them recruiting and fundraising wise. Saying that their program played on CBS, regardless of circumstance, would have helped them.

There was no possible way for CMU to have had any leverage when UCLA’s head coach re affirmed they would play in the bowl game as of last night. They don’t have leverage right now either because the Holiday Bowl would more than likely prefer to poach WSU than CMU to keep their ACC P12 tie ins.
The Sun Bowl has never been a recruiting or fundraising boom for any school involved. People aren't flocking to CBS to watch the Sun Bowl.

Honestly, it's a crappy move if it's true they're negotiating CMU's payout down.
Miami and now UCLA have been raked over the coals and rightly so. Not rightly so because they have positive cases but because they a)waited until the very last minute, literally and b) did not keep in contact with their opponent in a timely manner but rather the opponent got a call minutes before it hit the news.

The Sun Bowl has never been a recruiting or fundraising boom for any school involved. People aren't flocking to CBS to watch the Sun Bowl.
When there was a non qualifier for USC years ago the SB had a line of colleges asking Sunnies to consider them. Dennis Franchione was a young buck coach from UNM at TCU who put together a presentation as to why the sunnies should let a mid major in. The rest is history.

Bowl games are always a good thing. $350,000 or a few million, national TV on a major network is a prom dance you don’t say no to. If CMU gets the upset you can bet they will get a good recruit or two. Not everybody has cable or are online (which is still sad state for our country) but you can get CBS.

The Sun Bowl looks empty on tv. Miami pulling out at the last minute plus the cold rainy wather didn’t help.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Sun Bowl attendance has been on the downswing since 2015. Today it might reach a new low it hasn't seen since the before the stadium was expanded.
All bowl games not CFP related have suffered. It doesn’t help that they’re all shown live on TV either. It use to be a game had to be sold out 2-3 days in advance, otherwise it would be locally blacked out. Also doesn’t help that players nowadays are quitting, eh I mean opting out, of playing in bowl games. That’s today’s new normal.

Reactions: kickballpro
Anyone notice how ESPN acts like this game doesn’t exist? Evil empire.

Reactions: Rot
CBS had several saguaro cactus shots in their intro. The only saguaros here were planted by landscapers.
CBS should have taken shots from UTEP‘s Chihuahuan dessert garden or taken a drive on Trans Mountain and Stanton Dr. near the mountain. There are so many beautiful views of the EP dessert scenery.

What facts?
images

So much for being major underdogs, CMU is playing inspired football and Wazzu is sleep walking. This game reminds me of the time when TCU from the old WAC played a heavily favorite USC in the Sun Bowl. USC thought they could show up and beat TCU, but they got whipped instead.

Reactions: unihorn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT