ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sun Bowl

So much for being major underdogs, CMU is playing inspired football and Wazzu is sleep walking. This game reminds me of the time when TCU from the old WAC played a heavily favorite USC in the Sun Bowl. USC thought they could show up and beat TCU, but they got whipped instead.
Washington State's two starting tackles "opted out" of the bowl game and their star QB, therefore, hasn't had time to throw.

I hate the idea of "opting out" of bowl games, especially in the era of NIL. Selfish players are not only now allowed to make money, but they're also allowed to "opt out" of their bowl game. They're having it both ways.

For this generation, there's nothing bigger than themselves. It's not good for society.

Ya think the change from Miami to C. Michigan had something to do with it? I do!
I don't know. I doubt Miami would have sold over 20k walk up tickets. Sales were already low before Miami pulled out.

I for one like the Sun Bowl on CBS. If they moved to ESPN, there is no way the game would be played on New Year’s Eve. Would probably get pushed to before Christmas and get lost in the shuffle. I was speaking to a rep from the Independence Bowl at the CUSA championship game and found it very refreshing how he explained how they follow very closely what the Sun Bowl does because they are both so similar…tradition, home grown and not ESPN affiliated. As he told me, the Sun bowl has been their model because they are so successful in doing what they do.

Washington State's two starting tackles "opted out" of the bowl game and their star QB, therefore, hasn't had time to throw.

I hate the idea of "opting out" of bowl games, especially in the era of NIL. Selfish players are not only now allowed to make money, but they're also allowed to "opt out" of their bowl game. They're having it both ways.

For this generation, there's nothing bigger than themselves. It's not good for society.
I agree with much of what you stated regarding the attitude with many of today’s players. The CBS commentators mentioned CMU is also missing a couple of key players who opted out from this game. It seems to me CMU is taking advantage of their opportunity of playing in a bowl game they would normally not have a chance to play in. I think Wazzu took them lightly.

he explained how they follow very closely what the Sun Bowl does because they are both so similar…tradition, home grown and not ESPN affiliated. As he told me, the Sun bowl has been their model because they are so successful in doing what they do.
But the Independence Bowl has been with ESPN since the early nineties.

I for one like the Sun Bowl on CBS. If they moved to ESPN, there is no way the game would be played on New Year’s Eve. Would probably get pushed to before Christmas and get lost in the shuffle. I was speaking to a rep from the Independence Bowl at the CUSA championship game and found it very refreshing how he explained how they follow very closely what the Sun Bowl does because they are both so similar…tradition, home grown and not ESPN affiliated. As he told me, the Sun bowl has been their model because they are so successful in doing what they do.
That's just an assumption. ESPN only broadcasts one game on New Year's Eve. The Gator Bowl and it runs at the exact time as the Sun Bowl. There are plenty of TV slots available for both bowls on that day.

The Independence Bowl is not owned by ESPN like say the NM Bowl but it has been broadcast by ESPN/ABC almost its entire existence.

We'll see if CBS bids on the Sun Bowl when it's time to negotiate again. It looks like they're slowly withdrawing from college football.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
Bowls are dead. Players don't want to play in them anymore. Kids now either opt out of them or they enter the portal.

The Sun Bowl could try and become the G5 title game to stay relevant. But there will not be a Sun Bowl in 10 years or hardly any other bowls for that matter. It will be a playoff system with Bowls incorporated. A College Football Playoff and an NIT type playoff.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Excellent post. Furthermore, if you’re a Miner fan, ESPN and the corporatization of college football are not your friend.

Excellent post. Furthermore, if you’re a Miner fan, ESPN and the corporatization of college football are not your friend.
If the SB signs with ESPN maybe they put it on ABC.

CUSA has a TV deal with CBS Sports and they didn't broadcast a single UTEP game. UTEP was on some sort of ESPN platform for 11 of the 13 games this year. Who's really our friend?

If the SB signs with ESPN maybe they put it on ABC.

CUSA has a TV deal with CBS Sports and they didn't broadcast a single UTEP game. UTEP was on some sort of ESPN platform for 11 of the 13 games this year. Who's really our friend?
Not ESPN.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
You gave to wonder if there becomes a College Football playoff with 12 or 16 teams and a G5 Playoffs with 12-16 teams, which network is going to have the playoff rights?

But the Independence Bowl has been with ESPN since the early nineties.
Yes it’s ESPN/ABC but is shown on ABC. Apparently, CUSA has a deal where their champion has to play in a Bowl on ESPN. For example, UTSA this year petitioned to play at the Independence Bowl (ABC) and was denied by the conference.

Reactions: kickballpro
Yes it’s ESPN/ABC but is shown on ABC. Apparently, CUSA has a deal where their champion has to play in a Bowl on ESPN. For example, UTSA this year petitioned to play at the Independence Bowl (ABC) and was denied by the conference.
This is only the second time in their existence that it was shown on ABC. A #12 ranked BYU probably appealed to ABC.

Depending on the teams it most likely returns to ESPN next year. Next year it has a tie in with Army and an AAC team.

That's interesting that the CUSA champion has to go to on ESPN. Maybe there's hope they sign CUSA to a TV deal during negotiations next year.

Easy for you to say. Their future is on the line. You see what just happened? Imagine being a first day pick and losing out on that for an exhibition that means nothing.

Terrible coaching to not be ready after a kickoff. Hopefully those five yards don't cost them a 3 n out.

How is that any different from the 12 other games they played earlier this season? Or the games they played the past 2-3 seasons? It’s all bullshit.
Im talking about the pointless bowl games. Dont change the subject.

Again, maybe you guys should mind your own business instead of trying to tell kids what to do with their future plans.

Im talking about the pointless bowl games. Dont change the subject.

Again, maybe you guys should mind your own business instead of trying to tell kids what to do with their future plans.
Or maybe those “kids” should honor their commitment to their teammates and the school that’s paying for their entire tuition

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT