ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Why aren't you watching the NBA Finals??

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
NBA ratings lowest since 1994.

I'm not watching because my team isn't in it. I lose interest when my team isn't doing good. I'm a Knicks fan so I haven't been watching a lot for a while. I will watch if I'm in a sports bar or at a gathering. But I would rather watch something else. Its same with Utep if they ain't doing good then I wont really follow what's going on. So my reason for not watching NBA finals or playoffs is because my team is out of it. It's not because of the other thing 👍👍👍

The political stuff hasn’t really bothered me, it’s the constant ticky-tack fouls and the complete lack of defense/low post play. The league wanted to open up scoring, which I understand but it’s gone to such an extreme that these games are over glorified rec league games.

It’s the same with The NFL. I understand the rule changes with regards to player safety because no one wants these guys to be vegetables once they retire but offenses are at such an advantage it’s no fair.

How is this style of play better?

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Only pay half attention when Denver is in the playoffs. Don’t like the all political BS. Don’t want to see that during any sports event. The main reason is the protection of the star players while others can be mugged. Hate the double standard.
When I do watch is maybe the last two minutes.

For me its the matchup. The Heat cannot compete with the Lakers.

Also, really turned off when Denver beat LA and then the Lakers sent a film into the league complaining about fouls and the next night Lebron goes to the line 14 times and Denver Players were all in foul trouble.

For me its the matchup. The Heat cannot compete with the Lakers.

Also, really turned off when Denver beat LA and then the Lakers sent a film into the league complaining about fouls and the next night Lebron goes to the line 14 times and Denver Players were all in foul trouble.

That’s what kills me about basketball. I’m not for out and out taking players out a la the 80s Pistons, but the fact that you can not play anything resembling a physical style of basketball is so annoying. You have guys that are build like Gods and they’re flailing like fish whenever there’s contact.

Another issue that has turned me off on the NBA is Instant Replay.

The best part of any basketball game is the last 5 minutes when its back and forth and all the stars are on the court. I have seen way too many games stopped for replays killing all the momentum.

Instant Replay is annoying in the NBA.

on board with everyone here. The matchup isn’t intriguing. The way the game is officiated is annoying. And I miss different styles of play.

The Nuggets were fun because Jokic is such a unique player.

But it’s all drive and kicks now. Layups and threes. Can’t touch the star as he drives, bulldozes his way to the hoop. That was what made Iverson so special. He was tiny and could finish through the contact. Now it would be so easy for him.

on board with everyone here. The matchup isn’t intriguing. The way the game is officiated is annoying. And I miss different styles of play.

But it’s all drive and kicks now. Layups and threes. Can’t touch the star as he drives, bulldozes his way to the hoop. That was what made Iverson so special. He was tiny and could finish through the contact. Now it would be so easy for him.

Its so easy to score that in many ways shootouts have lost their excitement. Every team runs up and down the court it’s become normal. The same thing with the NFL. The game was so different even 10 years ago it was fun to watch a gun slinger like Favre, Marino, Manning or Warner (with St Louis). Now QBs would be crucified if they had their numbers.

Add to all this that the supposed face of the NBA is an annoying crybaby that throws up his arms and whines every time a mosquito flies around him makes it that much worse.

That has annoyed me for years, but the political stuff is a turn off too.

Been watching...pulling for Jimmy Buckets, who should still be in Chicago. Was screaming at the tv the other night for Spoelstra to get outta that zone. Duncan Robinson can’t play defense without fouling, Herro has been awful and his defense has been lazy. If Dragic and Bam play tonight I think the Heat win, otherwise it’s over.

I wonder if the NBA had the Lakers tank this game to try and drum up ratings! I usually don’t believe crap like that, but as strange is this year is I would believe just about anything.

As unlikeable as many NBA players are....there are some guys who are really easy to cheer for......

Jimmy Butler, Dame Lillard, Kemba, Giannis, Luka, Murray, Jokic.....

I think sometimes the NBA is too much like the “cool kids table” and all the super-teaming and colluding kinda ruins it. All the ref manipulation.

I'm a big Lakers fan, so I've been watching. Those Miami injuries are unfortunate, and this series could have been really competitive if it wasn't for a couple players going down.

Series has been pretty boring for the casual fan, so I'm happy for the Heat tonight.

Sports has taken a back burner to what we're going through now. I only watch games that I'm really interested in now (UTEP, Cowboys) and don't really care for other games all that much at this time. I'm republican, but I don't support trump at all. I can see how some trump supporters get annoyed at watching sports because it's not a protest against their country but a protest against trump. Also, not having fans on TV and worrying about getting with a group of friends really hurts moral when it comes to sports

To every demographic that finds LeBron off putting or whatever, there are demographics that consider him a hero. At worst, he’s the second best player of all time. I’m not a huge fan but I’m enjoying the show while he is still playing.

The kneeling, in my opinion, went rampant after trump called the NFL players SOBs. That's when it became a protest against trump

Reactions: minermx07
The Kaepernick kneeling crap started in 2016, when Obama was still POTUS. It IS a protest against our country.

Sorry, Mr. Wildcat, but it has never been a protest against "our country." It's always been a protest for people of color to receive the same level of respect and treatment that whites receive, in particular, by law enforcement. BLM is not a movement against our country. It is a movement that makes our country BETTER.

Reality sucks doesn’t it. I have talked to a lot of people who were casual sports fans, these are the ones who have turned off sports do the political crap.
Some of us will watch (trying to ignore it), but it looks like we are becoming the minority.

Not really. The NBA’s archaic Nielsen ratings may in fact be down. That being said, the NBA Finals have never occurred in October before. An NBA Finals game has never gone head to head against Sunday Night Football. NBA Finals have never occurred every other night due to no traveling. The TV ratings don’t take streaming into account. The NBA skews younger and more technologically adept. We have had this discussion before though. The naysayers on this board will bash the NBA because of its commitment to social justice.

Sorry, Mr. Wildcat, but it has never been a protest against "our country." It's always been a protest for people of color to receive the same level of respect and treatment that whites receive, in particular, by law enforcement. BLM is not a movement against our country. It is a movement that makes our country BETTER.
Even if what you say is true, that's still not the same as saying that the protests are against Trump, which is what Randaddy Miner said.

I hope people stop watching and players stop getting paid millions and millions of dollars to do something they love to do. There’s no reason the top athletes can’t survive on a 600k salary. For gods sake I have to make it work with ten times less than that.

I hope people stop watching and players stop getting paid millions and millions of dollars to do something they love to do. There’s no reason the top athletes can’t survive on a 600k salary. For gods sake I have to make it work with ten times less than that.

Ditto that!

The enormous disparity in income between the general public and our entertainers and athletes is ridiculous.
Crazy that’s what we as a society prioritize as worthy and deserving. I’m not being preachy because I realize that I contribute to its continuation as much as anyone, just by watching. Still blows my mind, though.

Last edited:
Ditto that!

The enormous disparity in income between the general public and our entertainers and athletes is ridiculous.
Crazy that’s what we as a society prioritize as worthy and deserving. I’m not being preachy because I realize that I contribute to its continuation as much as anyone, just by watching. Still blows my mind, though.
I dont mind the high pay (as long as we fans keep paying to watch them), but I do mind players breaking their contracts. Players won't hold out forever. The leagues and owners just need to be on the same page and stop allowing it to happen.

Reactions: minermx07
Even if what you say is true, that's still not the same as saying that the protests are against Trump, which is what Randaddy Miner said.
Who was the republican nominee when the 2016 NFL season started? trump is a bigly reason why this started but that is just my two cents

Who was the republican nominee when the 2016 NFL season started? trump is a bigly reason why this started but that is just my two cents
Show me where Kap said the reason he started kneeling was to protest the GOP nominee (not yet even elected) Trump.

It was trump's rhetoric that was setting the tone for his supporters... but anyways, I forgot to mention that on top of not having fans in the stands, not having the team's logos on the court also makes the games less appealing to the casual fan.

Don’t think the teams logo means jack s—-.
If your a liberal your not going to have a problem with the political stuff, if your a conservative it bothers you.
Is either one right or wrong? Just your personal beliefs. But to be blinded and say it’s not effecting the ratings just isn’t truthful.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I know it is affecting the ratings to a certain extent. I said earlier in the thread that I'm sure trump supporters probably don't wanna watch because it attacks trump's platform. Like you said, It doesn't bother me because I don't like trump, but that isn't the main reason for the drop in ratings. I'm not watching right now because I'm not into sports as much as I was before the pandemic hit. Then you add the lack of ambiance in a sporting event and it loses a lot of its appeal.

I think the NFL is gonna do okay with its ratings compared to the other pro-sports because you don't notice the fans (or lack of) as much as you do in baseball or basketball (except on field goals). You see your team's name in the end zone, the logo at midfield (I haven't seen any redskins games, so I don't even know what they have at midfield). The ambiance has a lot to do with it for me. Imagine how much it would suck if they didn't have to simulated crowd noise on the TV?

I am quite content if someone tunes in, sees Black Lives Matter on the court, and changes the channel solely for that reason. I don’t want to share a fandom with that person. Anyone who says they are offended by the Social Justice messages but claims the are not prejudice is not being truthful. I’ll bet anyone on this board that the next NBA television contract is more lucrative than the current one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT