ADVERTISEMENT

Pac & Big 12/SunBowl/Utep

In his defense he did say they should work together.
Denvernowins just likes to argue.

But what he doesn't know I also like to argue.

Now that Pac 12 are losing USC and UCLA that diminishes the Sun Bowl product. Sun Bowl / Utep/ Paul Foster, should work together to offer something to the Big 12 or Pac 12. UTEP has just as much to offer than Boise State and San Diego State or UTSA . El Paso is becoming a hot recruiting spot now. But accorse Utep wont do anything, they never think big. It's like a bunch denvernowins are working there.

Now that Pac 12 are losing USC and UCLA that diminishes the Sun Bowl product. Sun Bowl / Utep/ Paul Foster, should work together to offer something to the Big 12 or Pac 12. UTEP has just as much to offer than Boise State and San Diego State or UTSA . El Paso is becoming a hot recruiting spot now. But accorse Utep wont do anything, they never think big. It's like a bunch denvernowins are working there.

I'm not arguing. I'm just stating the facts.

But accorse Utep wont do anything, they never think big. It's like a bunch denvernowins are working there.

Accorse? Anyway…

You really think someone with power at UTEP comes on here and looks at “negative” posts and stops doing something because of it?

Just because you “think big”, doesn’t mean it’s logical or remotely possible. Only you would waste time and money with a “UTEP to Big 10” campaign. UTEP could spend all its budget and raise $10 million more for this campaign to “propose” themselves to the Big 10. The Big 10 will say “Thanks, next”. You just wasted everyone’s time and money on a stupid, stupid idea.

UTEP and El Paso are not attractive to pro leagues and top conferences. Nothing you can say or do will change that.

Reactions: denverutep

Can you elaborate on this please? I can't think of a single thing that we're even close to them with. Unless you are talking about non-football related stuff? In which case is not really relevant to the realignment that's going on.

Accorse? Anyway…

You really think someone with power at UTEP comes on here and looks at “negative” posts and stops doing something because of it?

Just because you “think big”, doesn’t mean it’s logical or remotely possible. Only you would waste time and money with a “UTEP to Big 10” campaign. UTEP could spend all its budget and raise $10 million more for this campaign to “propose” themselves to the Big 10. The Big 10 will say “Thanks, next”. You just wasted everyone’s time and money on a stupid, stupid idea.

UTEP and El Paso are not attractive to pro leagues and top conferences. Nothing you can say or do will change that.
I blame it on AJ. If his food wasn't so spicy we would be under consideration.

UTEP was in the same league with

Arizona
Arizona State
Boise State
Utah
SMU
UTSA
BYU
San Diego State
And many others and UTEP keeps getting passed up.

Are you telling me that Tuscon and idk Denton has more to offer than El Paso/UTEP?

UTEP has been getting passed up ever since the Borderland Conference. If Uteps leadership was more aggressive then maybe UTEP wouldn't been below UTSA. UTEP is just like El Paso, every other city/university are making big moves. While ELP/UTEP are just sitting around hoping someone invites them. IDK if UTEP has been aggressive in the past but they need to start being more aggressive.

This is Uteps chance and they should also be making a pitch to Big 12 and Pac12. I bet UNM and UTSA will also be making pitches.

• Haha
UTEP was in the same league with

Arizona
Arizona State
Boise State
Utah
SMU
UTSA
BYU
San Diego State
And many others and UTEP keeps getting passed up.

Are you telling me that Tuscon and idk Denton has more to offer than El Paso/UTEP?

UTEP has been getting passed up ever since the Borderland Conference. If Uteps leadership was more aggressive then maybe UTEP wouldn't been below UTSA. UTEP is just like El Paso, every other city/university are making big moves. While ELP/UTEP are just sitting around hoping someone invites them. IDK if UTEP has been aggressive in the past but they need to start being more aggressive.

This is Uteps chance and they should also be making a pitch to Big 12 and Pac12. I bet UNM and UTSA will also be making pitches.

It's not about the city. I would rather live in El Paso over Tuscaloosa, but if I had a choice I would choose to play for the Crimson Tide.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Accorse? Anyway…

See with this logic of thinking, is why UTEP keeps getting left behind. How many times has Utep been dumped or left behind?? The reason isnt because UTEP doesn't have the resources, its because of the Uteps leadership.

See with this logic of thinking, is why UTEP keeps getting left behind. How many times has Utep been dumped or left behind?? The reason isnt because UTEP doesn't have the resources, its because of the Uteps leadership.

You just don't get it. UTEP doesn't have the endowment compared to other school.

The gods have spoken, meaning the Supreme Court. The super conferences have aligned themselves. UT and OU to SEC and now UCLA and USC. PAC 12 will not be left out but they have a time cushion of a couple years at best.

However, the super conferences are not stupid. One of the SEC coaches came out saying “we need FCS schools” (on our schedule). The super conferences can’t be whomping on each other because TV revenue is the end game. Seriously, do you want to see Alabama year after year after you get over you holiday hangover? Alabama is respected and admired, not loved. They’re not Catholic affiliated like Notre Dame who draw a cult like religious following who still draw on historical admiration 80 years later. Hell, OU has a better history but outside the Red River, no one knows or really cares. Fans do want to see OU Vs Georgia though in the near future. That makes headlines. USC vs a full Nebraska Stadium… that’s (TV) money.

The mid majors will be left with the TV scraps as the “Super Conference” becomes reality. NDSU? Big 10/Power programs schools will not schedule them (their main rival Minnesota ended the rivalry). Embarrassing losses are too costly.

Mid majors, learn to love ESPN weekday football. It’s the new reality to take over Saturday late afternoon slot. The super conference will control that. Don’t get me wrong, OU v UTEP will be on Saturdays for a cool mil towards UTEP coffers. But weeknight football, especially Friday night, will be Boise vs Marshall or Appy State vs Fresno State.

Reactions: chuwy9
Fili, UTEP “leadership” spoke over the past 30 years. All the energy was put into taking UTEP from commuter school status to a research university (Tier 1). There was focused long range planning, politicking (lots of that), investment, you name it. What that “leadership” did should not be faulted in my opinion. That “leadership” took UTEP to new places for academic reasons. Athletics follow academics, not vice versa.

Now as for athletics, that “leadership” gave the reigns to a former Miner coach to change the culture at UTEP athletics. Stull literally transformed Miner sports. Stull also took gambles and lost his hat and there were gambles he should have put money down and played his hand, but he didn’t. It’s over and done, let’s move on.

What can we do? Buy tickets but hold coaches accountable for sub par performances. UTEP basketball fans will not tolerate bad losses but give a “whatever” pass to the football coach? No. Demand a good product and good coaches. Second, forming a circular firing squad amongst Miner nation is so gawd damn counterproductive but yet prevalent. It’s great that there is some level of passion but direct it at the coaches and make them aware that team performance was sub par. Kids who live with mom and dad shouldn’t be leading the charge; however, business owners who have deeper pockets and access to the AD for private bourbon n’ cigar sessions at the country club shouldn’t have all the say either. Both scenarios have happened and both blew up. For example, Bailey vs Price. Bailey was a cigar smoke filled room decision. Price was a fan base led passion hire (literally on this website led by nineteen rabbit and others). Proper analysis wasn’t followed and it didn’t go well.

So what’s my point? The “leadership” (yes I am referring to Diana N.) gave the reigns to the AD. Stull, like a Roman emperor, built up brick and mortar, literally, but his generals lost critical battles. Nord, Price, Kugler, Floyd? What did Stull get? One shared conference title, one regular season title and one NCAA invite and a new conference that fans are not so hot about as we come up on two decades.

Ok, UTEP lost out on MW openings but that’s conjecture and open interpretation. Natalicio knows what went down but she’s pushing up daisies. Let’s move on. Kids in the basement mentality has been driving the narrative on here for a while and it needs to stop, in my opinion. Facts need to drive UTEP in these new uncharted waters. The portal and scotus decision rearranged the college sports world (and social changes). But knowing the basics is needed. How college programs work, outreach. Key board warrior tactics without knowledge of the facts is futile. When UTEP sends out a letter or phone call for support, offer a hand. Buy season tickets, they’re dirt cheap for God sakes! UTEP offers a chair at the dinner banquet fund raiser or fan based interaction, take it and be heard. Don’t bite the hand and then come on here and start infantile arguments and poke the ribs of caring fans “see, I told you!” [poke, poke].

The “leadership” of days past are dead or retired. At least they can say “I did what I thought was right”.

Having a D1 program in your town, your alma mater, your school you identify directly with, is like having a driver’s license, it is a privilege, not a right. It can be taken away and then what?

Last edited:
Fili, UTEP “leadership” spoke over the past 30 years. All the energy was put into taking UTEP from commuter school status to a research university (Tier 1). There was focused long range planning, politicking (lots of that), investment, you name it. What that “leadership” did should not be faulted in my opinion. That “leadership” took UTEP to new places for academic reasons. Athletics follow academics, not vice versa.

Now as for athletics, that “leadership” gave the reigns to a former Miner coach to change the culture at UTEP athletics. Stull literally transformed Miner sports. Stull also took gambles and lost his hat and there were gambles he should have put money down and played his hand, but he didn’t. It’s over and done, let’s move on.

What can we do? Buy tickets but hold coaches accountable for sub par performances. UTEP basketball fans will not tolerate bad losses but give a “whatever” pass to the football coach? No. Demand a good product and good coaches. Second, forming a circular firing squad amongst Miner nation is so gawd damn counterproductive but yet prevalent. It’s great that there is some level of passion but direct it at the coaches and make them aware that team performance was sub par. Kids who live with mom and dad shouldn’t be leading the charge; however, business owners who have deeper pockets and access to the AD for private bourbon n’ cigar sessions at the country club shouldn’t have all the say either. Both scenarios have happened and both blew up. For example, Bailey vs Price. Bailey was a cigar smoke filled room decision. Price was a fan base led passion hire (literally on this website led by nineteen rabbit and others). Proper analysis wasn’t followed and it didn’t go well.

So what’s my point? The “leadership” (yes I am referring to Diana N.) gave the reigns to the AD. Stull, like a Roman emperor, built up brick and mortar, literally, but his generals lost critical battles. Nord, Price, Kugler, Floyd? What did Stull get? One shared conference title, one regular season title and one NCAA invite and a new conference that fans are not so hot about as we come up on two decades.

Ok, UTEP lost out on MW openings but that’s conjecture and open interpretation. Natalicio knows what went down but she’s pushing up daisies. Let’s move on. Kids in the basement mentality has been driving the narrative on here for a while and it needs to stop, in my opinion. Facts need to drive UTEP in these new uncharted waters. The portal and scotus decision rearranged the college sports world (and social changes). But knowing the basics is needed. How college programs work, outreach. Key board warrior tactics without knowledge of the facts is futile. When UTEP sends out a letter or phone call for support, offer a hand. Buy season tickets, they’re dirt cheap for God sakes! UTEP offers a chair at the dinner banquet fund raiser or fan based interaction, take it and be heard. Don’t bite the hand and then come on here and start infantile arguments and poke the ribs of caring fans “see, I told you!” [poke, poke].

The “leadership” of days past are dead or retired. At least they can say “I did what I thought was right”.

Having a D1 program in your town, your alma mater, your school you identify directly with, is like having a driver’s license, it is a privilege, not a right. It can be taken away and then what?
well said and i agree.. lets all get together and support the Miners ... season starts with a NT win ..

Reactions: kickballpro
It's not about the city. I would rather live in El Paso over Tuscaloosa, but if I had a choice I would choose to play for the Crimson Tide.

I dont want to hear it. At one point Boise State and UTSA were below Utep.
UTSA and Boise State are out there making moves and Utep is just sitting around making excuses. It's like UTEP and UTSA are brothers, and UTSA is out there being successful, making things happen. While UTEP is still living at home with Mom and Dad.

Reactions: axingfools1
I dont want to hear it. At one point Boise State and UTSA were below Utep.
UTSA and Boise State are out there making moves and Utep is just sitting around making excuses.

That’s cute, but not really true.

The last time UTEP made the NCAAs, UTSA hadn’t played a down of football yet. The last time UTEP won a NCAA Tournament game, Boise was still in FCS. Boise won the 1980 National Championship and made the title game in 1994.

What does that have to do with anything you ask?

They weren’t one of the worst football programs in FBS and never have been. Their fans aren’t conditioned to accept bad football and mediocrity like UTEP fans. Boise also won a lot of games, and more importantly, they won the right games. UTEP got blown out by UTSA and Boise last year too. Probably happen again this year too.

UTSA has had 1 really good year and they’re located in San Antonio, which is a better city than El Paso. It has more and better everything. UTEP can’t do anything about that.

Boise is a good football school because they had a good run of coaching hires and they won games. If they didn’t win games, they would just be another Utah St or Wyoming. Having a blue field helped them stand out. Beating Oklahoma and having a player propose to cheerleader did a lot for their national expose. Something UTEP hasn’t had the opportunity for.

And what moves is Boise making exactly? They have been in the MWC since 2011. UTSA’s peak is the AAC as long as they play in that basketball arena they have. They’re not going anywhere better. What moves are they going to make? The AAC is better than CUSA, but that’s not saying much.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I think the Sun Bowl is in its final year of the P12/ACC alignment.

I think CBS is committed until 2026.

I’d like it if the MW became one of the Sun Bowl aligned conferences.

And what moves is Boise making exactly? They have been in the MWC since 2011. UTSA’s peak is the AAC as long as they play in that basketball arena they have. They’re not going anywhere better. What moves are they going to make? The AAC is better than CUSA, but that’s not saying much.

Both schools are in better positions for Big 12 or Pac 12, if there was a pecking order for who is next to get into a major conference these schools are now above UTEP. This would be my ranking.

1. SMU
2.Boise State
3. San Diego State
4 .UCONN (because of basketball)
5. UNLV
6.New Mexico
7. Colorado State
8. Fresno State
9. Temple
10. UTSA

Its frustrating in just a short time UTSA has passed UTEP. I dont even think UTEP is in the top 20.

• Haha
Both schools are in better positions for Big 12 or Pac 12, if there was a pecking order for who is next to get into a major conference these schools are now above UTEP. This would be my ranking.

1. SMU
2.Boise State
3. San Diego State
4 .UCONN (because of basketball)
5. UNLV
6.New Mexico
7. Colorado State
8. Fresno State
9. Temple
10. UTSA

Its frustrating in just a short time UTSA has passed UTEP. I dont even think UTEP is in the top 20.
Hilarious!! The Lobos, Fresno, and Temple are bigger threats than UTSA to get into a bigger conference? Absolutely nobody has ever talked about UNM moving conferences. You truly are special.

If the PAC 12 loses a couple more schools but survives by adding some MWC schools, we may see SDSU represent the PAC 12 in the Sun Bowl. I just hope UTEP makes it into the MWC this time around even if the league is a lessor version of its self.

If the PAC 12 loses a couple more schools but survives by adding some MWC schools, we may see SDSU represent the PAC 12 in the Sun Bowl. I just hope UTEP makes it into the MWC this time around even if the league is a lessor version of its self.
Only if they take the Pac 12 champion. SDSU will win that conference as it stands now. They are 8-2 against them since 2016, and beat UTAH the champion last year. SDSU's football program is getting stronger and stronger especially with the new stadium opening on National TV vs Arizona on CBS. All they needed last year to run the table was a better QB, as they only had a decent one. They just got a great grad transfer from Virginia Tech that started every game there.

Next years basketball team is already ranked in the top 15 in most polls as they have everyone back from the 2nd strongest defensive team in the nation, and added 2 great scorers from the transfer portal. Their weakness was scoring, not defense, and they have now shored that up.

Bottom Line: If UTEP stays in Conference USA 6.0 or whatever version it's on or they move to super watered down MWC eventually it'll only make a difference to us a UTEP Fans. We'll be happy to have old rivalries rekindled and travel will be easier. However it would still end up being a 1 bid league in basketball most likely and a 3rd tier football conference behind Power Conferences, Watered down Pac 10, Big 12 and AAC. So in the end does it really matter?!

Bottom Line: If UTEP stays in Conference USA 6.0 or whatever version it's on or they move to super watered down MWC eventually it'll only make a difference to us a UTEP Fans. We'll be happy to have old rivalries rekindled and travel will be easier. However it would still end up being a 1 bid league in basketball most likely and a 3rd tier football conference behind Power Conferences, Watered down Pac 10, Big 12 and AAC. So in the end does it really matter?!
The rich get richer. We’ll take what we can get.

Reactions: nattybry
A watered down MWC will still be much stronger than a weak CUSA. CUSA as it is, may be the weakest football conference now, after re alignment, it may not even be Tier 3, falling way behind MW, Mac, Sun Belt and AAC.

If UTEP stays in CUSA, they should fire Senter immediately. It will be made up of bunch of FCS teams.

Secondly, you keep bashing the MW, when they had 4 teams make the NCAA tournament last year. Even if they lose some teams, they won't be looking for FCS teams like CUSA to fill in the ones that leave. They will still be heads and shoulders better than CUSA as will the Sun Belt and the MAC.

If UTEP does not get invited to the MW it will be a big blow to us and our program after all the re-alignment settles. Stop saying that the MW is only marginally better. The Mountain West is a better football conference than the Pac 12 with UCLA and USC. Even if they lose some teams to the Pac 12, it will still be a big step up for us.

It all depends on who and how many teams the MW losses. There are scenarios where they could lose up to half of the league. The options to backfill in the west aren't that many. There's only two FBS teams that make sense, UTEP and NMSU. I doubt they'll be able to get any other Texas teams now. La Tech and who else? FCS teams. Maybe they finally pull the trigger on the Dakota and Montana schools. Either way, any conference UTEP ends up in will be made up of FCS teams.

Firstly any stats representing the current MWC don't apply to the scenario I'm speaking of. Again this is all hypothetical as the landscape continues to change. Also I didn't say UTEP should stay in CUSA. I clearly stated that it will rekindle rivalries and be better for travel. However I'm talking about a future MWC in which these are the remaining schools left behind..... Wyoming, Nevada, Air Force, San Jose St. Fresno St, New Mexico and Hawaii Football Only. No Boise St, No Colorado St, No Sand Diego St, No UNLV. Better than CUSA obviously, but not as alluring as it once was I'm simply saying. They'd probably add UTEP, NMSU and La Tech in this scenario. So regionally and rivalry wise it'd definitely be a good move for Utep. I'll admit after thinking about it more it could possibly be a 2 bid league and be much better in football. So yes if that happens we definitely should make the move, it just won't have the same Pizazz that it does now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmanminer
Firstly any stats representing the current MWC don't apply to the scenario I'm speaking of. Again this is all hypothetical as the landscape continues to change. Also I didn't say UTEP should stay in CUSA. I clearly stated that it will rekindle rivalries and be better for travel. However I'm talking about a future MWC in which these are the remaining schools left behind..... Wyoming, Nevada, Air Force, San Jose St. Fresno St, New Mexico and Hawaii Football Only. No Boise St, No Colorado St, No Sand Diego St, No UNLV. Better than CUSA obviously, but not as alluring as it once was I'm simply saying. They'd probably add UTEP, NMSU and La Tech in this scenario. So regionally and rivalry wise it'd definitely be a good move for Utep. I'll admit after thinking about it more it could possibly be a 2 bid league and be much better in football. So yes if that happens we definitely should make the move, it's just won't have the same Pizazz that it does now!
Those are teams we should be able to compete with.

Hilarious!! The Lobos, Fresno, and Temple are bigger threats than UTSA to get into a bigger conference? Absolutely nobody has ever talked about UNM moving conferences. You truly are special.
Its hilarious you think UTSA is above those schools.

That’s cute, but not really true.

The last time UTEP made the NCAAs, UTSA hadn’t played a down of football yet. The last time UTEP won a NCAA Tournament game, Boise was still in FCS. Boise won the 1980 National Championship and made the title game in 1994.

What does that have to do with anything you ask?

They weren’t one of the worst football programs in FBS and never have been. Their fans aren’t conditioned to accept bad football and mediocrity like UTEP fans. Boise also won a lot of games, and more importantly, they won the right games. UTEP got blown out by UTSA and Boise last year too. Probably happen again this year too.

UTSA has had 1 really good year and they’re located in San Antonio, which is a better city than El Paso. It has more and better everything. UTEP can’t do anything about that.

Boise is a good football school because they had a good run of coaching hires and they won games. If they didn’t win games, they would just be another Utah St or Wyoming. Having a blue field helped them stand out. Beating Oklahoma and having a player propose to cheerleader did a lot for their national expose. Something UTEP hasn’t had the opportunity for.

I think Fili is under the belief that UTSA is headed to a major conference. “Big moves”

The ACC has reached agreements through 2025 with the Belk Bowl, Camping World Bowl, Hyundai Sun Bowl, Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman, New Era Pinstripe Bowl, San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl, TaxSlayer Gator Bowl and the new game in Boston, which will be named later this fall.

Pac 12 agreement is also through 2025

Reactions: unihorn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT