ADVERTISEMENT

Pac12 not dead?

This makes it sound like Texas State administration is working overtime to improve their school's position, while UTEP brass is twiddling their thumbs hoping for an invite.
Some of you guys still don’t get it. Texas St is being considered because of their location, not anything else. If TSU were in Amarillo, they would be on the same level as us. They’re in “Austin”, so they’re several levels above us.

Question.....is it possible that during the course of the legal proceedings between PAC and MWC that they realize they're both being stupid and they say "F*ck it, let's merge"? Or has that ship sailed?

I hope UTEP gets in......but I'm expecting the absolute worst.

Some of you guys still don’t get it. Texas St is being considered because of their location, not anything else. If TSU were in Amarillo, they would be on the same level as us. They’re in “Austin”, so they’re several levels above us.
Most of us get it because we've been on the wrong end for the past 30 years and have gone through this comparison with other schools ad nauseum. Your comment doesn't add any special insight. My point here is on the proactive nature of the administration, not the overall package.

Most of us get it because we've been on the wrong end for the past 30 years and have gone through this comparison with other schools ad nauseum. Your comment doesn't add any special insight. My point here is on the proactive nature of the administration, not the overall package.
It doesn’t matter how often Senter “calls up” the MWC, they’re going to take UTEP for reasons other than persistence. Just because Senter hasn’t sent out a press release stating they’re trying to get in, doesn’t mean they are not “trying”.

Question.....is it possible that during the course of the legal proceedings between PAC and MWC that they realize they're both being stupid and they say "F*ck it, let's merge"? Or has that ship sailed?

That’s the million dollar question. It could happen. Money can make all that bullshit go away quick.

Reactions: kickballpro
It doesn’t matter how often Senter “calls up” the MWC, they’re going to take UTEP for reasons other than persistence. Just because Senter hasn’t sent out a press release stating they’re trying to get in, doesn’t mean they are not “trying”.
There are other ways to be proactive. One of the ways, for example, is to be calling up supporters in order to get commitments for further financial support of the program contingent on our admission to a new conference, either to pay for our cusa exit fees or to improve the budget. This is what a smart administrator would be doing so you can bet Senter isnt doing it.

There are other ways to be proactive. One of the ways, for example, is to be calling up supporters in order to get commitments for further financial support of the program contingent on our admission to a new conference, either to pay for our cusa exit fees or to improve the budget. This is what a smart administrator would be doing so you can bet Senter isnt doing it.
He cannot do that. He has probably reached out to a very select group of donors and that’s it. The more people that know, they more likely the information gets out. If it gets out, it can lead to disappointment.

He absolutely can do that. It's what the Utah State administration did to get the pac-12 invite, by committing the school to pay for the entire mwc exit fee. It's no secret that UTEP and UTEP fans all want out of conference USA. Heck, this Texas monthly article says as much. There is no need to be coy and secretive about our efforts to be a more attractive candidate to get in. If you can't be attractive because of your on-field play or your location, you have to improve the one thing you can control which is investment in the athletic program.

But I share the opinion that most people do here which is we will get an invite not through our own efforts, which are few both on and off the field, but basically because we're all that's left to be poached.

San Antonio is a Cowboys and Spurs town, then Longhorns and Aggies fight over the remains. UTSA is a commuter school like UTEP, not a lot of school pride.

Gut feeling is Jim Senter is not being aggressive and trying to get in. All I have heard is that the MWC has contacted Sac State and NMSU. We are going to get left behind by NMSU. Senter should be fired if this happens.
I have zero faith in Senter. He has proven time and time again that he is not proactive and his decision process it to let things play out. This might be the only way to get rid of him.

Sad but true. He is the equivalent of a game manager QB. He is not in there to win the game, he is in there to not fumble the ball.

I actually have a little hope we can end up in the PAC. The idea of UTEP in the PAC is so insanely crazy that it is why I think there is hope. College realignment stopped making sense a long time ago and UTEP to the PAC makes no sense. 🤣

Reactions: FarWestTexas
With regard to Senter/Wilson, they need to be prepared to have the funds available to potentially pay out any CUSA exit fees, which are reportedly around $2M. In terms of budget, it would be a selling point to show they are willing to commit additional funding to athletics. In short, have a viable plan in place ready to go.

Gut feeling is Jim Senter is not being aggressive and trying to get in. All I have heard is that the MWC has contacted Sac State and NMSU. We are going to get left behind by NMSU. Senter should be fired if this happens.
Dude!!!!! Stop!!!! That’s not his call!!!! He can discuss it with Wilson, but he does not make that decision!!!

Reactions: Minerinciter
With regard to Senter/Wilson, they need to be prepared to have the funds available to potentially pay out any CUSA exit fees, which are reportedly around $2M. In terms of budget, it would be a selling point to show they are willing to commit additional funding to athletics. In short, have a viable plan in place ready to go.
You’re right, but there is no proof they currently have or have not planned for that.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I believe the department had a 5 mil surplus.
The $2 million CUSA exit fees are relatively low compared to what the AAC and SB have. Plus UTEP will get a major increase in TV revenue with either conference. If given the opportunity to make the jump, UTEP should see this as an opportunity to invest more in their athletic program.

The $2 million CUSA exit fees are relatively low compared to what the AAC and SB have. Plus UTEP will get a major increase in TV revenue with either conference. If given the opportunity to make the jump, UTEP should see this as an opportunity to invest more in their athletic program.
That’s speculative. If a miracle happens and the Pac comes calling, yes they will likely increase their current media money.

I don’t think it’s going to be a definite jump if the MWC comes calling and they just lost their “best” teams.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That’s speculative. If a miracle happens and the Pac comes calling, yes they will likely increase their current media money.

I don’t think it’s going to be a definite jump if the MWC comes calling and they just lost their “best” teams.
I don’t want to jump on the “Negative Nancy Express” but I agree with you. As UTEP fans we’re making every case possible why the Miners should be the number 1 candidate for both the PAC and MWC. Unfortunately every AD and fan is doing the same. We’ll know soon enough.

I don’t want to jump on the “Negative Nancy Express” but I agree with you. As UTEP fans we’re making every case possible why the Miners should be the number 1 candidate for both the PAC and MWC. Unfortunately every AD and fan is doing the same. We’ll know soon enough.
I’ve said from the start that UTEP would join the MWC because they were needed. If that’s being “negative” then I don’t know what to tell you all.

This version of the MWC will be inferior in every way to the old version. Anyone expecting anything different is kidding themselves.

Dude!!!!! Stop!!!! That’s not his call!!!! He can discuss it with Wilson, but he does not make that decision!!!
There's a lot he can do to prepare for a potential presentation. Call up donors, get a plan together to present to potential conferences, call each of these potential conferences, etc.

It is up to the conference to decide whether to invite utep or not. But utep has an impressive campus and I think senter should be trying to get one of these conferences to come visit the campus. There has been a lot of academic growth over the years. R1 research institution. Senter needs to find some money to invest into the athletics. Either potential conference could be a game changer for utep athletics. The MWC is the more likely option, but Senter should shoot his shot with the PAC as well.

I have no doubt that Senter has been in contact with the PAC12 and MWC and has Wilson's approval in hand. There is no way that the negotiations haven't happened.

Like Natty has said 500 times, its not ultimately Senter's call, but Wilson is the final signature and the only one that can sign on the dotted line and write the Checks.

But they have to wait and see if all current MWC teams sign the agreement today to the fee structure . If anyone on the MWC side decides to jump ship then it will fall apart. So Senter and Wilson have to play the waiting game and not jump the gun. Once that agreement is signed, then they will leave CUSA.

I have no doubt that Senter has been in contact with the PAC12 and MWC and has Wilson's approval in hand. There is no way that the negotiations haven't happened.

Like Natty has said 500 times, its not ultimately Senter's call, but Wilson is the final signature and the only one that can sign on the dotted line and write the Checks.

But they have to wait and see if all current MWC teams sign the agreement today to the fee structure . If anyone on the MWC side decides to jump ship then it will fall apart. So Senter and Wilson have to play the waiting game and not jump the gun. Once that agreement is signed, then they will leave CUSA.
It still won’t fall apart, unless the Pac takes almost everyone. If the Pac takes 1 or 2 more, the MWC will still try and make a go of it. At least $17M incoming from anyone else that leaves.

If UTEP gets in, it's because Wilson putting UTEP way ahead in R&D and greatly enhancing UTEP's Tier 1 footprint. You all are not giving it any stock but it's a big freaking deal in conference talks and it was a top requirement to get in the former PAC12. Utah got in a few years back not just they greatly improved in athletics all around and had massive capital improvements to their stadium but the state literally poured money into them being a top health R&D university. (Yes, they did not want BYU getting in as well had a lot to do with it).

From what I understand, there are two issues. First is that the PAC (whatever) has a massive war chest from the exit fees that were already paid by departing members and they didn’t/don’t want to share it with the “bottom feeders” of the MWC.

Second issue is if the MWC merges with the PAC, they lose the exit fee money FSU/USU/SDSU/BSU/CSU paid.

Too much money for a merger to happen

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT