ADVERTISEMENT

Pac12 not dead?

What’s worrisome is we’re not hearing any official news mentioning UTEP is being considered by either the MWC or PAC12. It’s demoralizing when we hear the MWC has reached out to MAC schools located in a different region and time zone. It would be reassuring to hear information from good sources on one of these conferences reaching out to UTEP, like it’s been reported with other schools. By this point we should have heard some news about UTEP being in the mix. Time and time we’ve seen opportunities to join better conferences come and go and this administration never seems to be prepared. Wilson and Senter should have implemented an aggressive and strategic plan from the last conference realignment that included a strong commitment to our athletic program and facilities.

I agree with everyone on here. Absolutely concerning that we’re not hearing anything positive one way or the other regarding conference realignment. And I’m on board with you guys, if we’re still in C-USA when the dust settles a lot of fans will stop supporting this athletic department financially. 60 years of getting passed up is unacceptable and Senter has had more than enough time to right the ship.

You guys are funny. Constant last place finishes by the football team over the last 60 years and now being near the bottom finishes in basketball, aren’t enough to stop support. Not being chosen in this round of realignment, is a reason to stop supporting though. LMAO.
I think the one thing we all have, especially on this board is hope. Us and those old school season ticket holders are suckers with our support and (sometimes) optimistic view of UTEP athletics. But the longer conference realignment goes and the more we get passed up this new dog eat dog world of college athletics is showing us that this Athletic Department, coaches and players aren’t capable of hanging. And you’re right… 60 years of futility and bad hires has lead us to this point. And the fact that presidents like Natalicio and Wilson accept it, and we as fans accept it is disgusting. We are getting what we deserve.

I agree with everyone on here. Absolutely concerning that we’re not hearing anything positive one way or the other regarding conference realignment. And I’m on board with you guys, if we’re still in C-USA when the dust settles a lot of fans will stop supporting this athletic department financially. 60 years of getting passed up is unacceptable and Senter has had more than enough time to right the ship.
No they won’t. There are a “large” amount of fans that absolutely will keep supporting. I don’t like Senter either, but what does he have to do with anything that happened before he got hired?

You guys are funny. Constant last place finishes by the football team over the last 60 years and now being near the bottom finishes in basketball, aren’t enough to stop support. Not being chosen in this round of realignment, is a reason to stop supporting though. LMAO.
Well.....yeah.

Hope springs eternal around here. Yeah we have last place teams, but hope sets back in when the season restarts.

League affiliation is different......CUSA has been fine for us, but the more time we spend here, the more we realize that college athletics has passed us by. Perhaps we are getting what we deserve, but it's still a sh!tty pill to swallow.

What’s worrisome is we’re not hearing any official news mentioning UTEP is being considered by either the MWC or PAC12. It’s demoralizing when we hear the MWC has reached out to MAC schools located in a different region and time zone. It would be reassuring to hear information from good sources on one of these conferences reaching out to UTEP, like it’s been reported with other schools. By this point we should have heard some news about UTEP being in the mix. Time and time we’ve seen opportunities to join better conferences come and go and this administration never seems to be prepared. Wilson and Senter should have implemented an aggressive and strategic plan from the last conference realignment that included a strong commitment to our athletic program and facilities.
Really, I’ve read several reports Utep is squarely involved in talks with PAC 12 and MWC. Not twitter speculation. Also know for a fact PAC 12 and MWC have talked to Utep. Of course we don’t know what’s going to happen, but to imply they’re not talking is inaccurate.

I think the one thing we all have, especially on this board is hope. Us and those old school season ticket holders are suckers with our support and (sometimes) optimistic view of UTEP athletics. But the longer conference realignment goes and the more we get passed up this new dog eat dog world of college athletics is showing us that this Athletic Department, coaches and players aren’t capable of hanging. And you’re right… 60 years of futility and bad hires has lead us to this point. And the fact that presidents like Natalicio and Wilson accept it, and we as fans accept it is disgusting. We are getting what we deserve.
I’ve been trying to tell you guys for years, not to accept mediocrity and losing. Now it’s an issue? Golding would have been fired already if I were AD. Dimel would have been gone after 2022.

It’s not the coaches or players fault, only the athletic department. We kept Price, Floyd, Kugler, and Dimel too long because of fans that kept buying season tickets. “One more year”, “Wait until next year” “The Calvary is coming”. UTEP made the wrong hire, every single time. Even if UTEP made the correct hires, we still might be in the same situation.

I made the suggestion over three years ago that we get in front of this realignment cycle. Some scoffed at my suggestion. Look at us now.

So now that this new deal is in place for the 7 MWC schools how does it affect the revenue split if 2 other teams join?

Not being chosen I’m ok with. Declining to not be chosen is where I draw the line.

Well.....yeah.

Hope springs eternal around here. Yeah we have last place teams, but hope sets back in when the season restarts.

League affiliation is different......CUSA has been fine for us, but the more time we spend here, the more we realize that college athletics has passed us by. Perhaps we are getting what we deserve, but it's still a sh!tty pill to swallow.
To piggyback off of this, even though we have come up on the wrong end of realignment up to now, we all knew there was going to be at least one last cycle of realignment involving the PAC and mwc. So those of us who have followed this for a long time have been holding out for just this opportunity. Well, it looks like it is here. There are currently 3 or 4 open seats at the table and we need to do all we can to finish on one when the music stops. If we fail to seize this opportunity, I don't see where we go from here in the future. Our position in the pecking order of things will be firmly solidified and there won't be anything to hope for. Why be a fan at that point if there's no hope of improvement? Why be in it for one winning season every 10 years? At that point I might as well just follow my alma mater instead of my home team.

So for now I'll keep hoping that things go our way, but I won't be surprised if they don't.

At the end of the day, if CUSA is home, then UTEP can continue to watch their fanbase dwindle... Senter needs to be the first to go, period... He is terrible at fundraising, choosing coaches, and even his social presence is crappy. If UTEP gets left out again, when is the next opportunity? Who knows, but i'm getting tired of watching ZERO progress...

Let’s see them. Post them here for us to read.
Here ya go…

Which Texas schools are rumored to be joining the new Pac-12 Conference?
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/texas-schools-rumored-joining-pac-154230014.html

Here ya go…

Which Texas schools are rumored to be joining the new Pac-12 Conference?
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/texas-schools-rumored-joining-pac-154230014.html

Took me like 3 minutes to read all that stuff and none of them say UTEP is in talks with either conference.

Took me like 3 minutes to read all that stuff and none of them say UTEP is in talks with either conference.
That’s not true. It had been said on here Utep hasn’t even reached out to PAC 12. In all 3 articles it imply Utep has in fact investigated leaving CUSA. Also I am not giving my source l, but I know mentions a cost effectiveness analysis is being done on moving conferences. So at the end of the day Utep is at least attempting to look into a change. Whether it has legs and actually happens I said no one knows. When you find out which you will soon, that all of these things are at least being explored make sure you respond with a “My bad Natty, just like Jacksonville St. you were right again” lol I’m kidding, but Corona I promise you Wilson is reaching out to both MWC and PAC 12

That’s not true. It had been said on here Utep hasn’t even reached out to PAC 12. In all 3 articles it imply Utep has in fact investigated leaving CUSA. Also I am not giving my source l, but I know mentions a cost effectiveness analysis is being done on moving conferences. So at the end of the day Utep is at least attempting to look into a change. Whether it has legs and actually happens I said no one knows. When you find out which you will soon, that all of these things are at least being explored make sure you respond with a “My bad Natty, just like Jacksonville St. you were right again” lol I’m kidding, but Corona I promise you Wilson is reaching out to both MWC and PAC 12
Appreciate the info. But seems to me the implication of what you're saying is that the administration has waited until now to do a cost benefit analysis of moving conferences. They should've already had one done long ago in preparation for something like this occuring. Yeah, probably wouldn't have known the exact teams until this week but even so, UTEP should have already looked into all the possible combinations of moves to determine at what point it makes sense to move. And here's my non-scientific conclusion: if you get a chance to move out of cusa, move.

At the end of the day, if CUSA is home, then UTEP can continue to watch their fanbase dwindle... Senter needs to be the first to go, period... He is terrible at fundraising, choosing coaches, and even his social presence is crappy. If UTEP gets left out again, when is the next opportunity? Who knows, but i'm getting tired of watching ZERO progress...
UTEP’s fanbase continues to dwindle because of lack of winning and other poor decisions, not because of the conference. They just got 41k for Southern Utah.

Shouldn't that analyst been done, when the Pac12 imploded? Or the many times, CUSA has been raided? Does your source mention if the Pac-12 or MWC have presented to UTEP yet?

1) A lot of schools are leaking their names to try get the PAC/ MWC's attention. Some aren't realistically being considered.

2) UTEP is going behind the scenes. Wilson and Senter aren't retarded. From UTEP's standpoint, what could be done has been done.

3) We are still in play. Stop acting like ***** on social media, it's embarrassing AF!

Appreciate the info. But seems to me the implication of what you're saying is that the administration has waited until now to do a cost benefit analysis of moving conferences. They should've already had one done long ago in preparation for something like this occuring. Yeah, probably wouldn't have known the exact teams until this week but even so, UTEP should have already looked into all the possible combinations of moves to determine at what point it makes sense to move. And here's my non-scientific conclusion: if you get a chance to move out of cusa, move.
I agree with all of this. I’m just reporting what I found out. It almost feels like Utep is barely doing this now for the next wave not this one. Utep doesn’t seem aggressive and may very well let this great opportunity pass us by!

Reactions: Miner_Tavo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT