ADVERTISEMENT

Pac12 not dead?

Um yeah. It’s Tijuana an and Tijuana has improved in the last twenty years

The cities are more similar than people realize.
Well not exactly, Tijuana has improved dramatically over the last 20 years while Juarez took the wrong turn since 2004 and from there has gone spiral down. Just take a look at all the skyscrapers they built in Tijuana and the one coming next year, plus all the major improvement to their Airport with the CBX etc etc etc https://es-us.noticias.yahoo.com/cosmopolitan-group-traerá-tijuana-edificio-212500614.html

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Um yeah. It’s Tijuana and not Juarez

And even though Tijuana has some of the same issues as Juarez does, if not more or worse. SDSU has a brand new, very nice football stadium that cost an obscene amount of money to build and was way over budget. The bball team went to the Final Four this decade and San Diego has very nice beaches and tourist attractions. There are lots of things to make it easy to ignore the problem across the border. El Paso practically puts a magnifying glass on Juarez because there is nothing to use as a distraction in El Paso.

And even though Tijuana has some of the same issues as Juarez does, if not more or worse. SDSU has a brand new, very nice football stadium that cost an obscene amount of money to build and was way over budget. The bball team went to the Final Four this decade and San Diego has very nice beaches and tourist attractions. There are lots of things to make it easy to ignore the problem across the border. El Paso practically puts a magnifying glass on Juarez because there is nothing to use as a distraction in El Paso.
TJ doesn’t have Venezuelans and other Central American countries trying to cross every day. If they do, it’s minimal and not once ever mentioned by the media.

If money is no object, 99 out of 100 people would choose San Diego over El Paso.

Juarez has the beautiful beaches of Rio Grande Mall, Misiones and Samalayuca but you cannot ask for more, (just kidding). They'll have that 34 story Quorum Tower by Misiones that's under construction but that is nothing compare to Tijuana.

He was saying that UTEP literally overlooks the border into Juarez. San Diego State is around an hour drive from the border crossing.
You can see Juarez from the UTEP library. I can’t believe white people from the rest of the country, don’t want to look out of the library and see pink & yellow roofs of a 3rd world country! But yeah Jim Senter not publicly releasing his desire to get UTEP into another conference is a bigger issue!!

TJ doesn’t have Venezuelans and other Central American countries trying to cross every day. If they do, it’s minimal and not once ever mentioned by the media.

If money is no object, 99 out of 100 people would choose San Diego over El Paso.
That’s a very good point. I tell people I’m from El Paso and the first thing they ask is if it’s as bad as the media says.

That’s a very good point. I tell people I’m from El Paso and the first thing they ask is if it’s as bad as the media says.
Right. It is an issue. There’s many people that would just never visit because they think illegals are running all over downtown and the rest of the city.

Right. It is an issue. There’s many people that would just never visit because they think illegals are running all over downtown and the rest of the city.
And I remember Mike Price saying schools used the crime in Juarez as against UTEP.

Regarding the TJ/San Diego connection it’s easy to separate those two because like what someone said San Diego has its own vibrant city and things that separate it from TJ. El Paso, what do we have?

UTEP literally overlooks the border into Juarez.

Call me biased, but that is one of the coolest things about UTEP. There is a room in the Fox Fine Arts Building that has a perfect view of the clash/merger of two countries and cultures. On one side of the room is one of the poorest, roughest neighborhoods in Juarez, where only poor people build their houses on the mountain side. On the opposite side of the room is a view of all the mansions up by Scenic Drive, where only the rich can afford to build large houses on the mountain side.

I don’t want to change the topic, but if these numbers are true what is ITEP’s annual football spending? I’m curious to know if UTEP isn’t willing to significantly up their spending this may mean our chances of a PAC-12 invite, as unlikely as it seems might have been a pipe dream all along.

Reactions: FedupMiner

I don’t want to change the topic, but if these numbers are true what is ITEP’s annual football spending? I’m curious to know if UTEP isn’t willing to significantly up their spending this may mean our chances of a PAC-12 invite, as unlikely as it seems might have been a pipe dream all along.
I’ve been trying to tell you guys, UTEP isn’t even being considered for the Pac 12. Those schools didn’t want UTEP when they were in the MWC, they sure as **** don’t want UTEP now.

UTEP’s only option is the MWC and it’s right now. This opportunity is unlikely to come up again.

Key words in what you said: "isn’t willing"

IF UTEP commits to an appropriate spend amount depending on conference they will be given consideration. The now watered down PAC12 will likely have a higher requirement than the even more watered down MWC.

Either way, Wilson and Senter need to get off their collective asses and get a move done.

Looks like total Athletic Department expenditures for last year was just over $35 million for all sports combined but couldn’t find a breakdown

UTEP sits where it sits because of that view of Chanty Town Juarez Mexico across the Rio Grande. Juarez Government is not doing its Job.
I hate to say I agree. I one time had a dumb girl come visit me from Phoenix and thought that was El Paso smh!!! It’s not pretty, sorry it may be an interesting dynamic being so close, but it looks like a 3rd world country next door. In this manner I support the wall and blocking that view, sorry if I offend, I said what I said! It’d be different if it was a pretty view or nice neighborhood.

Reactions: KaneFan29
I hate to say I agree. I one time had a dumb girl come visit me from Phoenix and thought that was El Paso smh!!! It’s not pretty, sorry it may be an interesting dynamic being so close, but it looks like a 3rd world country next door. In this manner I support the wall and blocking that view, sorry if I offend, I said what I said! It’d be different if it was a pretty view or nice neighborhood.

Have you even ever been in El Paso? How tall do you suggest the wall be? It likely needs to be 500 feet tall at a minimum to block a view from anywhere on the west side. This is among the stupidest things you've ever said on 'digs. Sorry if I offend.

Have you even ever been in El Paso? How tall do you suggest the wall be? It likely needs to be 500 feet tall at a minimum to block a view from anywhere on the west side. This is among the stupidest things you've ever said on 'digs. Sorry if I offend.
lol I lived there for 35 years that’s all haha!!! Obviously I don’t mean blocking what’s on the mountains D.A. However block the lower parts and as much as possible!

• Haha
Reactions: utep-piggy
Last edited:
lol I lived there for 35 years that’s all haha!!! Obviously I don’t mean blocking what’s on the mountains D.A. However block the lower parts and as much as possible!

Um, I was referring to the "lower" parts...

Let’s have the El Paso taxpayers spend millions of dollars on a wall so that natty who doesnt live in EP doesn’t have to see the lower parts of Juarez. Brilliant!

They should build a 100 meter tall x 3 mile long screen wall that shows a different scenery across the border. :p

Let’s have the El Paso taxpayers spend millions of dollars on a wall so that natty who doesnt live in EP doesn’t have to see the lower parts of Juarez. Brilliant!
Money well spent lol it wasn’t really even related to this topic, it was a response to a comment about it, so let’s move back on topic fellas

Reactions: KaneFan29
Jim Senter back on Aug 6th on Sportstalk, discussing joining the MWC:

"In a lot of ways, it makes a lot of sense to be traveling up and down the spine of the Rocky Mountains, playing teams that we used to play 20,30,40 years ago. The flip side is YOU HAVE TO BE INVITED, THEY HAVE TO WANT YOU........... For us to be attractive we need to do the best job that we can at winning and competing for championships. And having a dynamic and engaged fanbase."

Jim Senter back on Aug 6th on Sportstalk, discussing joining the MWC:

"In a lot of ways, it makes a lot of sense to be traveling up and down the spine of the Rocky Mountains, playing teams that we used to play 20,30,40 years ago. The flip side is YOU HAVE TO BE INVITED, THEY HAVE TO WANT YOU........... For us to be attractive we need to do the best job that we can at winning and competing for championships. And having a dynamic and engaged fanbase."
The mountain doesn’t want us! Never has, never will.

3 domino's have to fall at some point but when? It can't take too long because schools need to start preparing for the transition.

If Utep is in cusa after all of this — we deserve what we get … I will have lost all hope
If you bought a ticket to see Mike Price coach after the 2008 season and didn’t tell anyone you were displeased with the product, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Same with all the other lame ass coaches we kept too long.

All the "Negative Nellies" on here are missing one thing: Time. It takes time to assemble all the moving parts to this Conference Shaping equation. The fact that nothing has been announced, as it pertains to us, is not proof of anything. Not pro or con. Both Conferences have the Skeleton in place either by choice or by rejection, and now they need to be fleshed out. Some people think that the less current choices there are, the more value UTEP acquires.

If you bought a ticket to see Mike Price coach after the 2008 season and didn’t tell anyone you were displeased with the product, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Same with all the other lame ass coaches we kept too long.
Well thankfully I won’t blame myself since I have not lived in El Paso since 1995 …. 😂

Reactions: kickballpro
All the "Negative Nellies" on here are missing one thing: Time. It takes time to assemble all the moving parts to this Conference Shaping equation. The fact that nothing has been announced, as it pertains to us, is not proof of anything. Not pro or con. Both Conferences have the Skeleton in place either by choice or by rejection, and now they need to be fleshed out. Some people think that the less current choices there are, the more value UTEP acquires.
I’m just saying at the end of all of this … not now just saying when it’s all wrapped up

UTEP: The Miners were in the WAC from 1967-2005 before moving to Conference USA where it has resided since then. This also would get the MW into Texas with a school that's been at the FBS level for a long time. Problem is, UTEP is not good at football. The Miners have two winning seasons in the last 18 years, both 7-6 campaigns (in 2021 and 2014). In the last dozen seasons, the program is 41-101. There's some potential here, but it's not been shown much in football, in particular.

2 winning seasons the last 18 years…what a joke! this is the reason we haven’t moved up….thank you kugler, dimel, stull, center, juarez slums, juarez cicarios, pancho villa, mariachis, tortillas….

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT