ADVERTISEMENT

Pac12 not dead?

Shouldn't that analyst been done, when the Pac12 imploded? Or the many times, CUSA has been raided? Does your source mention if the Pac-12 or MWC have presented to UTEP yet?
Absolutely should’ve been done before, not barely recently! It’s only someone in the Financial dept. so not many details. Basically what the move cost would be, how long would it take Utep to recover and then start making profit from a move, etc…

Reactions: shyminer81
Absolutely should’ve been done before, not barely recently! It’s only someone in the Financial dept. so not many details. Basically what the move cost would be, how long would it take Utep to recover and then start making profit from a move, etc…

You can't know that stuff until you know where the other pieces are falling. Sure we know our costs. But not possible to estimate the value of NEWPAC or MWC until you know who ends up where. Now that's become clear we can see if it's worth it. Sure MWC has money now, but what will the next rounds of media contracts and bowl alignments look like now that the top teams and media markets have all left?

Reactions: nattybry
Ummmmmm, what part of MW requesting permission from MAC do you not understand? Hell, I am not totally sure they want Texas State. All that blow is coming from them and unconfirmed sources. This MW request to MAC is paper in hand CONFIRMED source.

And Kap tipping his hand, too.

Last edited:
Second, let's be realistic, ok?! We all know AF, and maybe UNLV, but definitely AF (and UNM ) said "No on UTEP or we're gone!". Wilson is a well seasoned diplomat but UNM and AF (ironic Wilson being former very top AF brass) want nothing to do with UTEP.

Appreciate the info. But seems to me the implication of what you're saying is that the administration has waited until now to do a cost benefit analysis of moving conferences. They should've already had one done long ago in preparation for something like this occuring. Yeah, probably wouldn't have known the exact teams until this week but even so, UTEP should have already looked into all the possible combinations of moves to determine at what point it makes sense to move. And here's my non-scientific conclusion: if you get a chance to move out of cusa, move.
Agree. It's not fvckn rocket science. Always a step behind. Reactive instead of proactive. Life as a Miner fan.

You can't know that stuff until you know where the other pieces are falling. Sure we know our costs. But not possible to estimate the value of NEWPAC or MWC until you know who ends up where. Now that's become clear we can see if it's worth it. Sure MWC has money now, but what will the next rounds of media contracts and bowl alignments look like now that the top teams and media markets have all left?
So do you think Utep is being overly cautious and judicious or just the right amount since the landscape keeps changing?

So do you think Utep is being overly cautious and judicious or just the right amount since the landscape keeps changing?

I don't know what's happening. I've worked some business deals and I have thoughts on what should be happening.
UTEP should have had a prospectus ready to send out with minor modifications.
They should have had their own internal financials well understood.

In the early stages you start talking in big picture generalities to see if there's mutual interest and what the potential sticking points are. UTEP reaches out to PAC and MWC. They tell them our side of the numbers and ask to see what numbers the conference is kicking around. You do your own due diligence to see if their numbers match what you think. The conference does the same. Then you start working on the sticking points.

Conference will probalby ask us to commit to a minimum budget. We will ask them to commit to a minimum payout. Etc. etc.

This all takes time. At no point do you tell your middle managers or workers what's going on. I seriously doubt a random position coach on the football team knows the true state of things. You don't announce things until it's nearly a done deal. Anything that's public is probably a red herring.

I don't know who your contacts are, you may well have more inside knowledge than this guy.

I do have 100% faith that if there is a way to screw things up and leave us worse off than we are now, UTEP's leadership will find a way.

And we want to join the MWC? Who waited to expand after they got raided? How are they being proactive? They are being reactive.

I think this is a very legit question. Is the remaining MWC worth jumping conferences for? What will their next media contract and bowl affiliations look like? PAC I think is an obvious upgrade if that is an option

Reactions: kickballpro
I don't know what's happening. I've worked some business deals and I have thoughts on what should be happening.
UTEP should have had a prospectus ready to send out with minor modifications.
They should have had their own internal financials well understood.

In the early stages you start talking in big picture generalities to see if there's mutual interest and what the potential sticking points are. UTEP reaches out to PAC and MWC. They tell them our side of the numbers and ask to see what numbers the conference is kicking around. You do your own due diligence to see if their numbers match what you think. The conference does the same. Then you start working on the sticking points.

Conference will probalby ask us to commit to a minimum budget. We will ask them to commit to a minimum payout. Etc. etc.

This all takes time. At no point do you tell your middle managers or workers what's going on. I seriously doubt a random position coach on the football team knows the true state of things. You don't announce things until it's nearly a done deal. Anything that's public is probably a red herring.

I don't know who your contacts are, you may well have more inside knowledge than this guy.

I do have 100% faith that if there is a way to screw things up and leave us worse off than we are now, UTEP's leadership will find a way.
Old leadership, yes.

Heather Wilson has an expansive resume. She was Secretary of the Air Force. That budget alone is in the 100's of billions. UTEP's #'s are nothing relative to what she was managing prior. We are in good hands. She knows more than us keyboard warriors.

I think this is a very legit question. Is the remaining MWC worth jumping conferences for? What will their next media contract and bowl affiliations look like? PAC I think is an obvious upgrade if that is an option
Yes, their media deal is unknown and it’s anyone’s guess what it will look like. Just saying, people shouldn’t worry about UTEP being proactive or reactive. When it comes to realignment, they’re not getting passed up because they were slow to get a financial feasibility study prepared.

However, UTEP should absolutely go to the MWC. CUSA isn’t able to add any current FBS teams.

Reactions: utep-piggy
That’s not true. It had been said on here Utep hasn’t even reached out to PAC 12. In all 3 articles it imply Utep has in fact investigated leaving CUSA. Also I am not giving my source l, but I know mentions a cost effectiveness analysis is being done on moving conferences. So at the end of the day Utep is at least attempting to look into a change. Whether it has legs and actually happens I said no one knows. When you find out which you will soon, that all of these things are at least being explored make sure you respond with a “My bad Natty, just like Jacksonville St. you were right again” lol I’m kidding, but Corona I promise you Wilson is reaching out to both MWC and PAC 12

Let's be real. NONE of us here need a "source" inside UTEP to know that UTEP has reached out to both the PAC12 and MWC. For UTEP to have not contacted either by now would be a colossal dereliction of duty. I know none of us have much faith in Wilson or Senter to do what's best for the athletics department but that would be beyond belief.

Second, let's be realistic, ok?! We all know AF, and maybe UNLV, but definitely AF (and UNM ) said "No on UTEP or we're gone!". Wilson is a well seasoned diplomat but UNM and AF (ironic Wilson being former very top AF brass) want nothing to do with UTEP.
Did they say no recently or was it year ago when they said no ? And why they don't want to have anything to do with UTEP ?

Yes, their media deal is unknown and it’s anyone’s guess what it will look like. Just saying, people shouldn’t worry about UTEP being proactive or reactive. When it comes to realignment, they’re not getting passed up because they were slow to get a financial feasibility study prepared.
I think you’re missing the point. You’re talking too immediate. It sounds like you’re talking specifically to the situation as it exists right now. UTEP, without a doubt, is the creator of its own circumstances and is exactly where it belongs due its actions and inactions…going back quite some time.

Maybe because they are losing in a crappy conference against schools they have nothing in common with.
Unless we’re getting beat up by USC, Texas, or Florida every week in a power conference, I’m not losing more confidence in UTEP. It’s all the same that we’re just not winning.

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas
-Lets look back to 1999. The MW was created to leave out UTEP, let's get that straight. Natalicio called UNM president expressing total disbelief because they went on public record in support of UTEP and literally voted privately NOT to invite UTEP.
-Now back to today. UNLV and AF said they were staying. UNLV already signed (their fans are not happy) committal papers.

The AF recommitment to MW spoke volumes. They don't want UTEP, period (as well as UNM). Second, UTEP does have a "war chest" account but to leave and join? UTEP does not have it. Boosters are tied into capital improvements.

After listening to Senter on ESPN and TV, the man lacks charisma and communication skills. Kap on ESPN600 has to fill in the blanks for him most of the time when he interviews him. Wilson can bring the 90th Fighter Squadron (F-22 5th gen fighters) and all the private companies and civil service that support them to El Paso, but when it comes to cut throat FBS college athletics, UTEP is on an island.

They are out of their league. (told to me from a booster, too).

I think you’re missing the point. You’re talking too immediate. It sounds like you’re talking specifically to the situation as it exists right now. UTEP, without a doubt, is the creator of its own circumstances and is exactly where it belongs due its actions and inactions.
UTEP is where it’s at because of poor coaching hires and the inability to fire them when it was obvious to most, it wasn’t working out.

UTEP isn’t in a better position because of factors they don’t control. Which are El Paso and perception of the city.

UTEP is where it’s at because of poor coaching hires and the inability to fire them when it was obvious to most, it wasn’t working out.

UTEP isn’t in a better position because of factors they don’t control. Which are El Paso and perception of the city.
I wholeheartedly disagree.

Reactions: shyminer81

Utep situation is not the result of the last 10-20 years. It's a result of the last 40 years which culminated in the 1999 airport 5 meeting that left us holding the bag, and one of the reasons for that was because 1) UTEP sports were already bottom of the conference and 2) UTEP was a major proponent of the wac 16 conference expansion (because we have always looked easy to the major Texas universities that have never wanted any part of us) and suffered the repercussions for it.

Reactions: picks up
I wholeheartedly disagree.

Kane is not wrong here. Have you traveled the state, and the rest of the country. El Paso does not have a good perception by the rest of the country. They've done a crap job of marketing themselves, and the press is all about cartels and violence. Don't take it personally, none of these people have been to El Paso, but a lot of people have their own notions of what it's like, and not open minds

Kane is not wrong here. Have you traveled the state, and the rest of the country. El Paso does not have a good perception by the rest of the country. They've done a crap job of marketing themselves, and the press is all about cartels and violence. Don't take it personally, none of these people have been to El Paso, but a lot of people have their own notions of what it's like, and not open minds
I’m not going to dispute that notion. However it is not why UTEP sits where it sits. Not by a long shot.

Not just that but so many cities that were at El Paso’s level have not only caught us but passed us by in terms of quality of life projects. The arena fiasco is a prime example of dim witted city leadership dropping the ball every step of the way. Going out of town and seeing what other cities have to offer I don’t fault anyone for leaving this city.

I’m not going to dispute that notion. However it is not why UTEP sits where it sits. Not by a long shot.
It’s part of the reason. The media market is ranked low, especially considering the size of the city. Plus the current political climate and news, reflects negatively on this place.

Lack of D1 talent for a city this size, also does not help UTEP. That is why Rice, UNT, UTSA and other schools with worse facilities and fan support have passed us. Not because of Senter’s alleged “lack of trying”.

It’s part of the reason. The media market is ranked low, especially considering the size of the city. Plus the current political climate and news, reflects negatively on this place.

Lack of D1 talent for a city this size, also does not help UTEP. That is why Rice, UNT, UTSA and other schools with worse facilities and fan support have passed us. Not because of Senter’s alleged “lack of trying”.
Hopefully you’re not putting words in my mouth. I didn’t mention Senter specifically in this conversation. However, I don’t think he has at all helped the situation since his arrival.

Hopefully you’re not putting words in my mouth. I didn’t mention Senter specifically in this conversation. However, I don’t think he has at all helped the situation since his arrival.

I would think that our budget and committed facilities improvement projects are relevant to our attractiveness. And that is a Senter problem. Recall that he was brought in because of his amazing ability to fund raise. At a private college with an extremely loyal and prosperous alumni base.

Well, there is D1 talent in El Paso, thing is they want to play somewhere else.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT