ADVERTISEMENT

Peak Dimel

UTEP SHOULD fire Dimel after this one. Instead, it's a morale victory and he will be allowed to retire as UTEP HC.

Next year's team is going to have much less talent, through graduation and transfer portal. It's not getting better than this under Dimel.

That loss hurt. They were firmly entrenched in the driver’s seat and EVERYTHING wrong with these teams came up at once and hit them in the ass. The awful defense, the O-Line penalties, awful QB play…. Good God.

Reactions: kickballpro
Gonna be an interesting one. Will Dimel return?
No way Senter pulls the trigger. According to him, there is no money. So, if that is the case (which is of course not true), he would need to approach boosters. Problem with that, is that he has no relationship with them. Wilson doesn't care, and won't hold Senter accountable...but I guess that's not her job.

I’ve been on the fence with Dimel because I liked the fact that his teams have been in the fight late in the season the last couple of years, but today was bad. Granted it’s a top 25 team, and if they come back to beat you, they come back to beat you. But UTEP gave that game away with all the mistakes. For two quarters they reverted back to the UTEP team that won 1 game a couple of years back. Brownholtz had a legit shot to claim the QB job next year but he should never start again.

Short bus Senter is an incompetent leader. At any other school Dimel is fired. As a result of today's loss Dimel has won as many games in five years as Kugler did. That should get him fired. Next year will be ugly. You couldn't make an easier more manageable schedule than we had this year. This was the easiest schedule UTEP has ever had. Dimel in his fifth year couldn't even win six with an easy schedule. It's time for Dimel to go but for any improvement to happen Senter has to be fired first.

The sequence with the QB face mask, followed by the holding call, then another pre snap penalty, IMO took the victory away. I thought UTEP looked good throughout. Then we have a pick at the 6 yard line.

Say what you want about Dimel being a .500 coach, but he had us ready for this game. Most of you thought we would lose by 30.

Moving forward, I doubt UTEP makes a change. But they should, Not because of this game but because the program as a whole is stagnant.

Short bus Senter is an incompetent leader. At any other school Dimel is fired. As a result of today's loss Dimel has won as many games in five years as Kugler did. That should get him fired. Next year will be ugly. You couldn't make an easier more manageable schedule than we had this year. This was the easiest schedule UTEP has ever had. Dimel in his fifth year couldn't even win six with an easy schedule. It's time for Dimel to go but for any improvement to happen Senter has to be fired first.
I dont care if next year is ugly. Better to start over now than later. Every second with Dimel is wasted time and it has been for a while. I'm just concerned that Senter will have to make the next hire and he will have some other outside dude convince him that UTEP his a 7 year job now because of the transfer portal 🤮

The sequence with the QB face mask, followed by the holding call, then another pre snap penalty, IMO took the victory away. I thought UTEP looked good throughout. Then we have a pick at the 6 yard line.

Say what you want about Dimel being a .500 coach, but he had us ready for this game. Most of you thought we would lose by 30.

Moving forward, I doubt UTEP makes a change. But they should, Not because of this game but because the program as a whole is stagnant.
The thought of losing by 30 is what actually makes this loss worse.

The basketball season starts in the CUSA Tournament in a one bid league. It will remain this way until UTEP decides to improve the football program and get us out of CUSA.

You are absolutely correct and UTSA has given us the blueprint. We laugh at their basketball facilities but look what conference their basketball team is playing in next season…all because of their football team.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
The basketball season starts in the CUSA Tournament in a one bid league. It will remain this way until UTEP decides to improve the football program and get us out of CUSA.

You are absolutely correct and UTSA has given us the blueprint. We laugh at their basketball facilities but look what conference their basketball team is playing in next season…all because of their football team.

And their fans are showing up

UTSA has definitely priorized football, but they also have a huge advantage in location for recruiting. There are good players all over the area. In my opinion, the NMSU and even UNM comparisons are more appropriate. Kind of the trifecta of really bad football. 👎

Reactions: TxRdKiller
How much blame do you guys put on the players? I think they shoulder a fair share because they folded and they couldn’t get out of their own way in the second half.
I was not there but did hear from my UTSA friends that it was very loud and it was causing a lot of Utep false starts. I can say, I’ve seen multiple teams fall apart from the noise in the Alamodome.

I was not there but did hear from my UTSA friends that it was very loud and it was causing a lot of Utep false starts. I can say, I’ve seen multiple teams fall apart from the noise in the Alamodome.
I cannot confirm how loud it was or wasn’t. What I can confirm is that we know every time we make our OL hold position for 15-20 seconds until the play clock is down to 2 or 3 seconds, we have a false start.

I cannot remember how many times I yelled at the screen to snap the ****ing ball, only to wait so long and have a false start. That is on the coaches.

They were on the Center and they way he snaps the ball. My guess is that in the pregame meeting with the officials, UTSA’s coach pointed out something the Center does that he saw on film and the officials threw flags every time he did it.

I asked a former UTEP offensive lineman for his opinion of what was going on with Meyer during the game regarding all of the false starts, here is his text:

I think the crowd noise got to him. It doesn’t help that they were using a “clap” for cadence. It’s in the dome, no one can hear that clap. That’s on Dimel for not fixing that. Plus we have a freshmen corner with no help over the top! Just bad overall. Out coached in the second half with no adjustments.

I asked a former UTEP offensive lineman for his opinion of what was going on with Meyer during the game regarding all of the false starts, here is his text:

I think the crowd noise got to him. It doesn’t help that they were using a “clap” for cadence. It’s in the dome, no one can hear that clap. That’s on Dimel for not fixing that. Plus we have a freshmen corner with no help over the top! Just bad overall. Out coached in the second half with no adjustments.
Utsa realized that 14 couldn’t cover any of their receivers and picked him apart. Brownholtz also tore his hamstring on that 44 yard run that got called back. He was not the same the rest of the game. Heartbreaking loss and tough season. Don’t know where they go from here. This was their season to do something.

Utsa realized that 14 couldn’t cover any of their receivers and picked him apart. Brownholtz also tore his hamstring on that 44 yard run that got called back. He was not the same the rest of the game. Heartbreaking loss and tough season. Don’t know where they go from here. This was their season to do something.
14 is a true freshman, no? He was getting burned like a joint in Santa Teresa. Why didn't they get him some help?

14 is a true freshman, no? He was getting burned like a joint in Santa Teresa. Why didn't they get him some help?
Exactly why the CB coach should've been fired. Also, the two CBs that had been starting were dressed and one of them came in when #14 faked an injury to get the heck out of there, only to be thrown right back to the wolves as soon as UTSA got the ball back.

No way Senter pulls the trigger. According to him, there is no money. So, if that is the case (which is of course not true), he would need to approach boosters. Problem with that, is that he has no relationship with them. Wilson doesn't care, and won't hold Senter accountable...but I guess that's not her job.
If there’s no $$$, it’s Senter’s fault for not raising it.

What football vision does Senter have to sell to big money donors? Nada

If there’s no $$$, it’s Senter’s fault for not raising it.

What football vision does Senter have to sell to big money donors? Nada
I keep waiting for the UTEP Athletics Strategic plan for 2025 to be published. Or, how about that rumored "big" announcement regarding regarding major athletic facilities improvements (like NMSU for instance)? Or a NIL for football (is Adidas going to save us?). I guess we need to keep telling ourselves to be patient. Senter has only been AD for 5 years, and Wilson has been President for 3. If only my boss were the same. 😀

I keep waiting for the UTEP Athletics Strategic plan for 2025 to be published. Or, how about that rumored "big" announcement regarding regarding major athletic facilities improvements (like NMSU for instance)? Or a NIL for football (is Adidas going to save us?). I guess we need to keep telling ourselves to be patient. Senter has only been AD for 5 years, and Wilson has been President for 3. If only my boss were the same. 😀
Pretty telling that Hunt, et al started an NIL for basketball but not football.

Tulsa is likely firing Montgomery. He did well considering his recruiting situation. His teams were never a soft touch.

I don’t follow all the programs, but are any of our programs any where close to winning a Conference Title?
Let’s look

Beach Volleyball 4-17. In their last tournament, they went 1-19 in their matches, going 0-4.

Men’s Cross Country finished 2nd at the CUSA Championships and finished 13th of 17th at the NCAA Mountain regionals. I have no idea if this is good or not.

Womens CC finished 8th at the CUSA Championships

Men’s Golf has had generally poor results. Tied for 10th out of 12 at last tournament. Conference championship is soon

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Women’s Golf faired better, but finished 8th out of 9 at the CUSA championship

Rifle seemed to have good results, but I don’t believe they qualified for anything significant.

Soccer (W) was 1-7-2 in conference play

Softball is 2-13 in conference play with 3 more series left to play.

Tennis (W) was 5-14 and 1-4 in CUSA play. Lost in first round of CUSA tournament

Both T&F teams are still going and I couldn’t easily decipher their results.

Volleyball was 17-13 and 10-4 in conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT