ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: When does Dimel get canned?

When does Dimmel get Canned?

• After NMSU game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
They will not bring in anyone of substance until the UTEP administration decides to spend money to upgrade 🏈 facilities (yes, starting with the field lighting) and start considering when and where to build an indoor practice facility. Otherwise, this will be repeated in five years looking for a new coach.
Hopefully with the right hire utep can start getting money in and investing

Reactions: FedupMiner
Just to throw a name out there, that I love, Jason Eck Idaho Vandals coach. Fiery Offensive minded coach! Probably going to have Idaho in the FCS Finals this year. Whooped Nevada this years and gave Cal a game.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
If Senter does pull the plug, he’s just going to throw Barrick Nealy in as interim and leave the coordinators in. And in UTEP chaos the dude would win some games to make the decision difficult for Senter.

Up and coming coaches can be good but they can also bite you in the ass. Just look at UNM’s Danny Gonzales. Played for UNM, was on Rocky Longs staff, and was a defensive coordinator at ASU before getting the job. He has an even worse record than Dimel and brought in supposed better talent.

Dimel’s departure was discussed at length on yesterday’s Sportstalk. Kap repeatedly expressed his opinion that Dimel would be replaced at the end of the season barring a miraculous turnaround.

He also mentioned the fact that Senter already has his list of potential coaching candidates.

I hope his list includes coaches who know how to properly utilize the forward pass and the entire playbook. I’m tired of the boring and ineffective ground and pound offense we’ve seen here the last 10 years.

Last edited:
Dimel’s departure was discussed at length on yesterday’s Sportstalk. Kap repeatedly expressed his opinion that Dimel would be replaced at the end of the season barring a miraculous turnaround.

He also mentioned the fact that Senter already has his list of potential coaching candidates.
I hope it includes a coaches who know how to properly utilize the forward pass.
Hopefully it's coaches who care about scoring points and not just running time off the clock SMH 😏 I already have Jason Eck's name in the hat, hopefully he will be interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: picks up

I hope his list includes coaches who know how to properly utilize the forward pass and the entire playbook. I’m tired of the boring and ineffective ground and pound offense we’ve seen here the last 10 years.
No point in having Senter pick the coach. Dimel was already kept a year too long.

Up and coming coaches can be good but they can also bite you in the ass. Just look at UNM’s Danny Gonzales. Played for UNM, was on Rocky Longs staff, and was a defensive coordinator at ASU before getting the job. He has an even worse record than Dimel and brought in supposed better talent.
That’s why we need successful HC experience.

Last edited:

Senter has a list?

giphy.gif

UTEP has the reputation of being a place where coaches go to die. Bailey, Lee, Nord, Price, Kugler, Price (again) and now Dimel. What kind of coach would want to risk his future by coming here?
Mel Tucker beats.

Reactions: jdubb66
UTEP has the reputation of being a place where coaches go to die. Bailey, Lee, Nord, Price, Kugler, Price (again) and now Dimel. What kind of coach would want to risk his future by coming here?
That’s definitely untrue.
Lee had an OC job the next season. So did Nord.
Bailey probably took some time off, but took a XFL job.
Mike Price retired? So who was going to hire a retired, old coach?
Kugler had a job the next year too, but is apparently not coaching now because of his incident. Even if he were mediocre here, who was gonna hire him as their HC?
Dismel will go back to being an assistant if he chooses to. Only Senter was dumb enough to give this guy an undeserved 2nd chance.

Hopefully it's coaches who care about scoring points and not just running time off the clock SMH 😏 I already have Jason Eck's name in the hat, hopefully he will be interested.
Completely agree. Kugler and Dimel were both more concerned about winning time of possession than winning games. I hate that it's always talked about with the utmost importance my Tiecher, media, and coaches. We have been winning time of possession for ten years and it hasn't mattered. Time of possession is the most irrelevant stat as far as I'm concerned.

I hope Senter and whoever else is calling the shots understand this. We are absolutely sick of run first, trash offense. They’ve killed the fan base not only with the losing but with this negative football they play. I bet Dimel would have more butts in seats if he was scoring 28 but giving up 35 because at least it’s fun and there’s hope in a shootout. But for the last 10 years once we give up 17 that’s the ballgame right there.

Completely agree. Kugler and Dimel were both more concerned about winning time of possession than winning games. I hate that it's always talked about with the utmost importance my Tiecher, media, and coaches. We have been winning time of possession for ten years and it hasn't mattered. Time of possession is the most irrelevant stat as far as I'm concerned.
For what it's worth Jason Eck is gonna go FBS after this year when he has Idaho competing for an FCS Championship. I say Senter puts out a feeler early. That's why I would love for Dimel to get fired before the season. Guys like this won't last and will get better offers. I don't think a guy with Texas ties is needed. This is a new age of recruiting and that's not as important as it once was.

We used to complain some about Coach Price's teams scoring a lot in a two-minute offense, but not being able to score at all in a ten-minute offense. Now, Dimel's teams can't score in any kind of offense. Did he used to be a soccer coach in a former life? Did he play Keep Away too much as a child? How sad for us.

We used to complain some about Coach Price's teams scoring a lot in a two-minute offense, but not being able to score at all in a ten-minute offense. Now, Dimel's teams can't score in any kind of offense. Did he used to be a soccer coach in a former life? Did he play Keep Away too much as a child? How sad for us.
Probably hoping Hardison would develop into his next Collin Klein (KSU), which has now blown up in his face in spectacular fashion as Hardison has become such an easy qb to read for opposing secondaries and since he is a pure drop back passer, easy to sack, too. Dimel said he worked one on one with Hardison over the summer and camp; he either lied or Hardison learned nothing or a bit of both. Second, his offense became easy to defend as well as any opposing team who studies video can easily see by UTEP's formations what they will run. Heck, we all can call it from our couch by now.

Senter needs to make a move now. I do not know the morale in the locker room but if he's lost that, then the only hope to boost that is to fire Dimel ASAP.

Also, UTEP is not the highest on the coaching totem pole so firing Dimel now buys Senter a 6-week head start on the coaching search in hopes of luring somebody decent. I cannot imagine any recruit who has interest in UTEP is leaning towards us after watching the dumpster fire that Dimel continually puts on the field.

If Dimel has lost control of the team, he is a liability and needs to go sooner rather than later. But who would Senter put in as the interim head coach? Would they have any more control? Would that mean we just tough it out till the end of the season? We had such high hopes before the first game against Jacksonville State. Now we're circling the drain and picking up speed. Dimel has stayed with Hardison way past the time he should have figured out that Hardison wasn't going to get much better. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Senter had better already have a list of candidates he wants to interview for the coaching position. If not, Wilson had better have a list of candidates for Athletic Director.

Does anyone remember when Dimel stated that he "was eyeing the UTEP position" while he was still at KSU? Seriously, he said that on the radio. Six years later and how things may appear to have come full circle?

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Lol at Tyrin Smith “might” go that route. Everyone knows he is going that route.
And he probably should. But he should move on once and for all…and stay gone.

I’ll admit, I was hypocritical in the sense that I would never take a player back if put in a similar situation as Dimel, however as a fan, my thinking was that the Miners needed every “advantage” they could get so I wanted Smith back as soon as I heard it was a possibility. Should have known better though. It was bound to not work out.

He should probably forget about the P5 route and go to UTSA, UNT, SMU, or even TX ST.

And he probably should. But he should move on once and for all…and stay gone.

I’ll admit, I was hypocritical in the sense that I would never take a player back if put in a similar situation as Dimel, however as a fan, my thinking was that the Miners needed every “advantage” they could get so I wanted Smith back as soon as I heard it was a possibility. Should have known better though. It was bound to not work out.

He should probably forget about the P5 route and go to UTSA, UNT, SMU, or even TX ST.
He is at best a decent G5 WR. Should have went to WKU the first time he tried to get out.

Which players would a new coach want to keep for next year? I'm sure Burgess will transfer out.
Depends on the type of hire.

If it’s a Dimel Type, won’t be much change because they will keep as many players that would stay, recruit his guys, redshirt them, and it will be a slow long build.

The type of Coach I think most people want is a guy who cleans out the cupboards, recruits the portal, and has no interest in building anything.

In either scenario, recruiting is what butters the bread.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT