ADVERTISEMENT

Possible head basketball coaches

Lol, Gotta think out of th box man, Richardson is too old, Hardaway and Foster don't have nearly the experience and we need a new culture and winning attitude here at Utep, why would we promote from within, if it hasn't been working, unless your happy with how the last 8 years have gone?

Richardson should at least be asked if he's interested. I thought he should've been hired in 2010 and don't think he's ever even been asked.

Hardaway would be able to attract recruits as one of the best NBA players from the '90s.

Greg Foster if he could bring his son in with him.

Promoting within is mostly dependent on how this year ends up.

And I don't care what anyone thinks: Keitha Adams would be interesting.

Thanks for info. and best wishes

Nolan Richardson
Keitha Adams
Greg Foster
Tim Hardaway
Phil Johnson
Bobby Braswell
Kris Baumann
Hell no on all of them (even though I'm sure Foster, Braswell and Johnson will get interviews).

stay-off-the-weed.jpg

Hell no on all of them (even though I'm sure Foster, Braswell and Johnson will get interviews).

stay-off-the-weed.jpg
What's wrong with Foster? He's been getting some good coaching experience as an assistant in the NBA and he knows how to work with big men. My biggest question mark (which is important for the college game) is recruiting.

Was he involved at all in recruiting when he was assisting at UTEP?

He spent like 3 years as a college assistant? Then bolted for the NBA as an assistant.
Sure, he "may" have done a bit of recruiting, but he sure hasn't established himself as a recruiter. And while he is gaining experience as an assistant in the NBA, how does that get him ready to be a head coach in college? (Kugler anyone?)
Look I like Foster. He's a good dude and loves El Paso. But no...just no

Best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate, best candidate....

How about some long shot candidates?

Mark Jackson?
I wonder why he isnt getting another shot at NBA. Give him a call.

Jeff Van Gundy : ive said his name a bunch of times . I think he would do it.

Dan Marjele : he doing a pretty good job at GCU.

Reactions: Miner_24 oz

Mark Jackson?

2 Candidates have absolutely no NCAA coaching experience (recruiting/NCAA compliance etc) and one probably has a buyout. I can’t remember a time UTEP bought out a contract. So that’s a no to 3.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Hopefully Senter laying the groundwork for our next coach. We are in dire need of a recruiter and stand up person.

Just curious.....why not Phil? Minus him getting thrown out twice in a five game span, there seems to be a good energy with the team.

There, FIFY.

The ONLY way he should even be considered, in my opinion, is if "it" started to click with this team and we saw actual improvement over the course of conference play, we win the conference tourney and at the very least have a good showing in the NCAA tourney. Short of that, we really do need to start from scratch.

Mark Jackson?

Like mentioned above, van Gundy has turned down offers from NBA and major P5 schools. He isn’t coaching here.

Dan Marjele is making around 1 million dollars at GCU and GCU is a better basketball program. Why would he want to come to UTEP to make less money and clean up a mess of a program when he is at a better program?

Like mentioned above, van Gundy has turned down offers from NBA and major P5 schools. He isn’t coaching here.

Dan Marjele is making around 1 million dollars at GCU and GCU is a better basketball program. Why would he want to come to UTEP to make less money and clean up a mess of a program when he is at a better program?

GCU is not a better basketball program dont be silly. Only reason it would be long shot is cause he likes Phoenix and is probably waiting for Suns job. But Utep would be a and upgrade over GCU.

Do you have any proof that Van Gundy has been offered any NBA jobs? And which P5 schools have offered him a job?? Only thing that makes sense is he loves his TV gig. But to me i think van gundy is a odd person and i could see him take a low key job like UTEP.

GCU is not a better basketball program dont be silly. Only reason it would be long shot is cause he likes Phoenix and is probably waiting for Suns job. But Utep would be a and upgrade over GCU.

Do you have any proof that Van Gundy has been offered any NBA jobs? And which P5 schools have offered him a job?? Only thing that makes sense is he loves his TV gig. But to me i think van gundy is a odd person and i could see him take a low key job like UTEP.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20378274/jeff-van-gundy-takes-team-usa-challenge-jvg-style

Its laughable that you think Van Gundy would take the UTEP job. I am sure you thought John Gruden was interested in the UTEP football job a few months ago.

GCU is in much better shape than UTEP right now. Like I said earlier, Dan Marjele makes around 1 million at GCU. Why in the hell is he going to take a pay cut to come to UTEP????

Last edited:

Historically speaking, you are right. Currently, they are a better program. 27-7 and 22-9 for the last two years. Averaging over 6800 fans per game and on the rise. Recruiting to the Phoenix area is a WHOLE lot easier than it is to EP. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet being a private school, DM's budget is much higher at GC. Also, GCU is trending up and we have been trending down the last half decade.

I'd love to have Dan Majerle, but no way he leaves that cush job for the train wreck we've got in our midst.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20378274/jeff-van-gundy-takes-team-usa-challenge-jvg-style

Its laughable that you think Van Gundy would take the UTEP job. I am sure you thought John Gruden was interested in the UTEP football job a few months ago.

GCU is is much better shape than UTEP right now. Like I said earlier, Dan Marjele makes around 1 million at GCU. Why in the hell is he going to take a pay cut to come to UTEP????

How is GCU in a better shape? UTEP could afford 1million i dont believe the people that say they cant. I just think UTEP is being cheap. UTEP needs to open its pocket books.

People thought that Tim Floyd was a long shot.

besides did you not read where i put "long shot candidates "?

How is GCU in a better shape? UTEP could afford 1million i dont believe the people that say they cant. I just think UTEP is being cheap. UTEP needs to open its pocket books.

GCU is in better shape. Read Fanaticoog's post above.

Do you have any proof where people though Floyd was a long shot? I actually thought it was very likely to happen 8 years ago when the UTEP job was open.

Ya I read where you put Van Gundy in the long shot candidates. Van Gundy is in the "No chance in hell" category.

Fili, I do think you're on the right track with a Romar type. Somebody who has proven themselves as a head man, but for whatever reason is currently sitting on the sidelines as an assistant. Just gotta be careful dipping into those waters. There's a good reason some guys are assistants right now, as opposed to hc.

Why do you think UTEP could afford 1 million dollars. They HAVE NEVER paid a coach that type of cash. So how have you managed to come to this conclusion? I would love to know. Because I doubt you have seen the accounting books for the athletic department.

I’ll believe UTEP can pay a coach 1 million bucks, when they pay them a million bucks.

Floyd was making 600k a year. And we sit here and talk sh*t that Stull and Floyd were BFFs, so why wouldn’t he just hook him up and pay him that type of cash? So just stop with this nonsense.

And since we’re on the topic of “Long Shot Candidates” might I throw a couple other names in there:

Phil Jackson
Calipari
Red Auerbach
Chuck Daly

Last edited:
Why do you think UTEP could afford 1 million dollars. They HAVE NEVER paid a coach that type of cash. So how have you managed to come to this conclusion? I would love to know. Because I doubt you have seen the accounting books for the athletic department.

Simple because UTSA can. Just because they never had doesnt mean they can.

Ok... so nothing is based on any sort of fact other than the fact that another school pays a coach a million bucks. And their athletic budget/donor base/etc has absolutely Jack sh*t do with UTEP.... that’s your reasoning. Get out of here with this nonsense.

21xx4m.jpg

Why not look at the high school ranks for a BB coach while we’re at it? Tony Harper is available.....

Last edited:
Fili, I do think you're on the right track with a Romar type. Somebody who has proven themselves as a head man, but for whatever reason is currently sitting on the sidelines as an assistant. Just gotta be careful dipping into those waters. There's a good reason some guys are assistants right now, as opposed to hc.
It depends. Billy was sitting on the sidelines waiting for an opening he liked. According to BG years ago while at UTEP he asked Coach Self if he should apply (this is when both were at Illinois) and Self told him to do it.

According to a waitress at Kiki's Restaurant she just overheard PJ will settle for a 2010 Buick, membership at Vista Hills Country Club and go on Obamacare if he gets the job and he'll pay for his Machaca plate. Senter looked very interested.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Ok... so nothing is based on any sort of fact other than the fact that another school pays a coach a million bucks. And their athletic budget/donor base/etc has absolutely Jack sh*t do with UTEP.... that’s your reasoning. Get out of here with this nonsense.

21xx4m.jpg

Why not look at the high school ranks for a BB coach while we’re at it? Tony Harper is available.....

Okay smart guy well you tell me how a school like UTSA and others like UTSA that are in the same level as UTEP. How are they able to spensd $1million on coaches and UTEP cant???

Reactions: axingfools1
Okay smart guy well you tell me how a school like UTSA and others like UTSA that are in the same level as UTEP. How are they able to spensd $1million on coaches and UTEP cant???
For starters they have a President who is pro athletics. Our President is at Dana Dimels press conference stating that she doesn't know of any other university that does more for less like UTEP does. She obviously does not follow sports because if she did, she would know the university in Las Cruces is owning us in every sport and they have much less than UTEP.

UTEP can’t pay the football coach one million no way on Gods green earth can we pay athe new football coach and his improved staff and now go pay that kind of money to the basketball coach.

Well “genius”.... I didn’t think it needed ‘splaining but UTEP is not UTSA, and UTSA is not UTEP. I don’t think we know what UTSA’s athletic budget is to the dollar, nor do we know what their donor base is, and what type of revenue they bring in compared to UTEP. Do you? Just because another school pays their coach X-amount of dollars doesn’t mean that UTEP should automatically be able to pay the same thing. “A&M got Jimbo Fisher, why can’t UTEP?”
What I do know, from the outside looking in is that UTEP’s only revenue generating sports are in the sh*tter. Football attendance is dropping, basketball isn’t doing too good either. And all that money is used to help keep every other sport afloat. So unless you can show me some ledger that shows some wealth of money on the books you don’t know what you’re talking about.

you don’t know what you’re talking about.

FiliUTEP has no clue what he's talking about.

This is the same guy who thinks Puerto Rico isn't part of the United States and thought that Sharif Fajardo was a foreign player (eventhough he was born in New York).

What he’s saying is akin to going “My neighbor just bought a Benz.... THEREFORE my brother should be able to afford a BMW.” Good point there buddy..... good point.

Actually, I have to agree with Fili. I saw the numbers a few years ago (can't remember the site) when our attendance had already dropped in football and basketball. Our athletic department bottom line was still showing over a 2 million profit. That was even before we started doing the big money games.
Look folks, don't kid yourself. College athletics is a big business. The goal is to make money. UTEP low balls so they can make the most money while spending the least amount. They choose not to spend big bucks on coaches. They could, but don't. And won't.

Like if you know the numbers, that’s one thing. Just don’t try to make some factual point by saying just because another school pays someone so much UTEP should pay the same. Every school is different.

And I’m not defending Stull or Natalicio I have gone on record saying they both suck. But given the scope of the athletic program, how many sports/coaches/athletes/facilites etc, is it good business to allocate 1/5 of that profit towards a coach’s salary? I’m sure travel expenses/salaries/the cost of scholarships rise every year. And I’m sure the amount of money they bring in is different every year given the drops in attendance with football/basketball.

But with that said if we want a coach to be paid 1,000,000 it’s probably dependent on boosters/fans to donate. And I hope Senter can get that point across to fans and the city.

Actually, I have to agree with Fili. I saw the numbers a few years ago (can't remember the site) when our attendance had already dropped in football and basketball. Our athletic department bottom line was still showing over a 2 million profit. That was even before we started doing the big money games.
Look folks, don't kid yourself. College athletics is a big business. The goal is to make money. UTEP low balls so they can make the most money while spending the least amount. They choose not to spend big bucks on coaches. They could, but don't. And won't.

Those numbers are wrong: http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sp...illion-dollar-loss-only-part-story/455716001/

UTEP athletics $18 million loss only part of story, officials say

UTSA has a new prez as the old one, Romo, was hugging female employees a little too awkwardly (KSAT. 2017).

References:
Reporter, Generic. Some KSAT Article. KSAT.com. 2017.

UTSA has a new prez as the old one, Romo, was hugging female employees a little too awkwardly (KSAT. 2017).

References:
Reporter, Generic. Some KSAT Article. KSAT.com. 2017.

lol! It's funny how people love to state things and want you to take their word for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT