ADVERTISEMENT

Possible head basketball coaches

Looks like a good young coach. Virginia's staff has done very well under Bennett. He would probably keep the tradition of defense as a priority for UTEP basketball. I do prefer a higher tempo offense though. His bio really doesn't mention much about his recruiting prowess, but maybe he could get some good players here and possibly bring Fili Rivera with him (given his connection to Puerto Rico).

He recruited Klay Thompson to WSU. Top assistant at Virginia. Seems solid.

Found this little tidbit as well, from 8-30-17

Assistants rated

In a poll of more than 100 Division I men’s basketball coach, UVa’s Ron Sanchez was ranked second behind Duke’s Jon Scheyer among college assistants likely to become a “star” head coach. Seventh on the list was third-year Florida assistant Darris Nichols, a Radford High School graduate who scored 993 points in his playing career at West Virginia.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/uva/d...cle_fc980897-70ff-5fcc-9b06-36932e23afef.html

Found this little tidbit as well, from 8-30-17

Assistants rated

In a poll of more than 100 Division I men’s basketball coach, UVa’s Ron Sanchez was ranked second behind Duke’s Jon Scheyer among college assistants likely to become a “star” head coach. Seventh on the list was third-year Florida assistant Darris Nichols, a Radford High School graduate who scored 993 points in his playing career at West Virginia.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/uva/d...cle_fc980897-70ff-5fcc-9b06-36932e23afef.html
Nice info. Sanchez could be a really good hire.

Sounds good. UTEP will not hire him.

If UTEP went conservative on football, they will on basketball.

I was just being a smart ass.

Who knows whom UTEP will hire?

Typically, but there is no rule or written in stone law, top tier assistants are waiting for bigger fish or a mid major may be shy about hiring such an assistant for a host of reasons. The Dimel hiring situation in football is an excellent example IMO.

I was just being a smart ass.

Who knows whom UTEP will hire?

Typically, but there is no rule or written in stone law, top tier assistants are waiting for bigger fish or a mid major may be shy about hiring such an assistant for a host of reasons. The Dimel hiring situation in football is an excellent example IMO.
Yet to be seen, but Dimel hire doesn't look like a bad one. This recruiting class will be ranked hire than any of Kuglers and this was a last minute patchwork recruiting class

What if UTEP brought back Keitha to run UTEP men's team? UTEP was a pioneer in mens basketball once, why not again for 21st century?

Reactions: MinerMambo
Let’s hire a 6-12 woman’s coach just to be trailblazers. We could hire the first Dog as a head basketball coach, the first gold fish and so on and so on. Even if she threw her hat in the ring there’s no way in hell shes the best candidate for the job.

In 16 seasons at UTEP Keitha had 2 NCAA Tourney appearances, 1 conference regular season championship , and like 2 NIT appearances. Not only no but hell no for her coaching the men’s team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cube Jack
IF we hire Keitha Adams this could be her first recruit.

51WY661EZBL.jpg

He also plays football too...

Reactions: unihom
How much will the new coach get. Looks like Dimel got 700k and assistants got a raise. I hope Utep gets a good proven coach.

I had posted earlier that Kugler and Floyd were paid a combined 1.1 million dollars a year. If none of that changes I would think 400k/year would be what we would pay for a new BB coach. I would love to believe that Senter is making headway in terms of excitement within the community and he will be able to increase donor money and therefore allow UTEP to up the salaries of the coaches.

I had posted earlier that Kugler and Floyd were paid a combined 1.1 million dollars a year. If none of that changes I would think 400k/year would be what we would pay for a new BB coach. I would love to believe that Senter is making headway in terms of excitement within the community and he will be able to increase donor money and therefore allow UTEP to up the salaries of the coaches.
It seems that everybody is getting paid more. Can we get an assistant from a big time program for 500k and incentives?

You could be right. Senter sounds like he wants people to give so we can do more, and he’s not taking the “we do more with less” approach some people want to take at UTEP.

Reactions: jdubb66

Do you think that they already have their person? What has Senter say about the search?

I am sure we’ll have to wait till the end of the season to see what happens. Regardless of the money offered if Senter can increase enthusiasm and donors I am sure we will have some good candidates lining up.

Kidd fired today by the Bucks (for anybody who might think Foster could be a good choice as head coach). He may be looking for a job soon.

Based upon what?
Yes, please do tell. Seventy percent is rather high. But then again you can say Trump has a seventy percent chance of keeping his hands (or lips) to himself while in the White house.

It sounds far fetched and probably not going to happen but I hope to be wrong.:p

Yes, please do tell. Seventy percent is rather high. But then again you can say Trump has a seventy percent chance of keeping his hands (or lips) to himself while in the White house.

It sounds far fetched and probably not going to happen but I hope to be wrong.:p

Didn't CNN say Clinton have a 99% chance to win the election?

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Would rather have Ron Jeremy as our next head coach. He could get good recruits here. Orgys and plenty of hot chicks would be around the program.

Would rather have Ron Jeremy as our next head coach. He could get good recruits here. Orgys and plenty of hot chicks would be around the program.

Rick Pitino? ;)

I'm 98.5% sure that no one on this board has any clue on any names of potential basketball coaches. This isn't a Stull hire where we can get in the ballpark. This will surprise us all.....watch...

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I wouldn't want a convicted felon as our next basketball coach.
I wasn't aware of that, where'd you hear that? Do you just make up fictious things to annoy or do you really just get false facts. I saw nothing about Ron Sanchez UV Assistant Coach being a convicted felon. If by some miracle your correct, then if he's good enough for UV #2 in the Nation and one of the Top Assistants in D1. Why not for us?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT