ADVERTISEMENT

Possible head basketball coaches

Judging from the ridiculous wishlist here, here's mine:

1. Bob Knight -- he's not much older than Nolan Richardson and was friends with Coach Haskins. He previously coached in Texas so let's ask him!

2. Jim Calhoun -- hey, also not much older than Nolan Richardson! He'll be hungry to get back into college basketball after a 5-year absence! It doesn't hurt to ask, right?

3. Thad Matta -- I mean, people claim we should try for all of these fired big name coaches, right? I'm sure he'll want to prove himself after Ohio State dropped him.

4. Bo Ryan -- he's actually younger than Nolan Richardson so why not? He's only been out 2 years so he'll be on track

5. John Wooden -- I know his death in 2010 really affected his availability, but look what he did with UCLA in the 60s!

1. Bob Knight -- he's not much older than Nolan Richardson and was friends with Coach Haskins. He previously coached in Texas so let's ask him!

2. Jim Calhoun -- hey, also not much older than Nolan Richardson! He'll be hungry to get back into college basketball after a 5-year absence! It doesn't hurt to ask, right?

3. Thad Matta -- I mean, people claim we should try for all of these fired big name coaches, right? I'm sure he'll want to prove himself after Ohio State dropped him.

4. Bo Ryan -- he's actually younger than Nolan Richardson so why not? He's only been out 2 years so he'll be on track

5. John Wooden -- I know his death in 2010 really affected his availability, but look what he did with UCLA in the 60s!

We could always use a John Wooden hologram on the sidelines...truly "more with less."

I like it lol

We could always use a John Wooden hologram on the sidelines...truly "more with less."
If Ronnie James Dio can have is own post mortem hologram rock n roll tour and sell tickets I say give it a shot!

tupac-coachella-hologram-2.gif

Hologram Tupac has been without work for a couple of years. You can get him for a mil a season easy.

#fakenews

Sorry bra, I know the site I saw the numbers was a legit site, not a story fed to the Times by UTEP to make you feel bad for them. Naturally, you don't believe me, and I'm not taking my precious time to prove it to you, so there's that.

Nope, that's not how it works. I posted the facts and you posted nothing.

UTEP spends a lot on basketball. In fact UTEP's basketball budget ranks one spot behind Wichita State. UTEP's basketball buget is in the top twenty percent of d1 programs. If we wanted to pay a million dollars we could. That however wouldn't play into the narrative Dr Natalicio wants you to believe.

UTEP spends a lot on basketball. In fact UTEP's basketball budget ranks one spot behind Wichita State. UTEP's basketball buget is in the top twenty percent of d1 programs. If we wanted to pay a million dollars we could. That however wouldn't play into the narrative Dr Natalicio wants you to believe.

Do you have a link for this? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Do you have a link for this? I'd be interested in checking it out.

A year or two ago a lawyer who, was the student body president in the seventies, wrote a scathing editorial about utep hoops and used the numbers in his article. I will try to find the article and post it.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
A year or two ago a lawyer who, was the student body president in the seventies, wrote a scathing editorial about utep hoops and used the numbers in his article. I will try to find the article and post it.

Are you talking about Steve Fischer's articles?

Nope, that's not how it works. I posted the facts and you posted nothing.

You didn't post any facts. You posted an El Paso Times article. That is far from facts. (I guess everything Brett posts is fact and not UTEP fed info, right?)

Message boards are for discussion. (in this case UTEP discussion) This isn't a court of law. I don't have to prove my case using facts. I am not slandering anyone by saying UTEP makes millions in profit. If you or anyone else chooses to believe this is not true, so be it. I just don't care.

UTEP won't pay a coach a million a year. I don't think they need to either. Get a good young coach and pay around $750k with a large buyout clause. That's where we should be.

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about the athletic budget I can’t imagine UTEP would pay mega money for a coach just because of the buyout associated with firing said coach. If you want to pay your coach over a million dollars I would imagine you need at least two or three million dollars allocated to cover a potential buyout if they’re fired and hiring a new coach.

Well “genius”.... I didn’t think it needed ‘splaining but UTEP is not UTSA, and UTSA is not UTEP. I don’t think we know what UTSA’s athletic budget is to the dollar, nor do we know what their donor base is, and what type of revenue they bring in compared to UTEP. Do you? Just because another school pays their coach X-amount of dollars doesn’t mean that UTEP should automatically be able to pay the same thing. “A&M got Jimbo Fisher, why can’t UTEP?”
What I do know, from the outside looking in is that UTEP’s only revenue generating sports are in the sh*tter. Football attendance is dropping, basketball isn’t doing too good either. And all that money is used to help keep every other sport afloat. So unless you can show me some ledger that shows some wealth of money on the books you don’t know what you’re talking about.

UTEP and UTSA are in the same conference. Utep draws more in attendance than they do.Have you seen UTSAs basketball gym? They just got into D1 not so long ago. And now all of the sudden they are able to pay more to their coaches than UTEP? Texas A& M plays in the SEC you cant compare them to UTEP. Im comparing UTEP to schools in C-USA. If Utep wants to win they are gonna have spend like every other school is doing in CUSA. This isnt the 90s anymore. Prices for good coaches has gone up and utep is going to have to keep with todays market.

Reactions: axingfools1
UTEP and UTSA are in the same conference. Utep draws more in attendance than they do.Have you seen UTSAs basketball gym? They just got into D1 not so long ago. And now all of the sudden they are able to pay more to their coaches than UTEP? Texas A& M plays in the SEC you cant compare them to UTEP. Im comparing UTEP to schools in C-USA. If Utep wants to win they are gonna have spend like every other school is doing in CUSA. This isnt the 90s anymore. Prices for good coaches has gone up and utep is going to have to keep with todays market.

I agree that UTEP needs to up their coaches pay. But you have to agree that yes UTEP has good attendance but at the same time how many games are they selling tickets dirt cheap? Those 10.00 ticket games aren’t bringing in boat loads of money. Just out of curiosity I checked Ticketmaster and UTSA backetball games are 8.00 for reserved seating so I can’t tell you how they do it.

I’m looking online and from what I’ve seen Steve Henson the coach at UTSA has an annual salary of 289,000/year.
https://salaries.texastribune.org/university-of-texas-at-san-antonio/

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mysa...hired-as-seventh-men-s-basketball-7222430.php

Their football coach is scheduled to make 1,000,000 a year.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.expr...oach-grateful-for-raise-contract-11953698.php

Floyd was making around 600,000 a year. And Kugler was making around 500,000.

So UTSA is paying both football and basketball coaches 1.3 million and UTEP is paying 1.1 million. So we are talking a 200,000 difference for both schools. If anything you could argue that we pay our football coaches so little because we we are paying our basketball coaches so much.

Last edited:
You didn't post any facts. You posted an El Paso Times article. That is far from facts. (I guess everything Brett posts is fact and not UTEP fed info, right?)

And as I clearly stated previously you illiterate a hole, I don't remember the site an I am not spending my time looking it up for your dumba$$. I KNOW it is fact. I don't give a rats a$$ if you believe it.

Message boards are for discussion. (in this case UTEP discussion) This isn't a court of law. I don't have to prove my case using facts. I am not slandering anyone by saying UTEP makes millions in profit. If you or anyone else chooses to believe this is not true, so be it. I just don't care.

UTEP won't pay a coach a million a year. I don't think they need to either. Get a good young coach and pay around $750k with a large buyout clause. That's where we should be.

Wow, that was a long post. lol

If you don't have the facts, then that means they don't exist.

I posted the facts and you posted nothing to dispute those facts.

Steve Forbes is the only name that should be on Senter's list! We are gonna have to pay him though, he will have other opportunities that's for sure. Has done a great job so far at E. Tennessee St.

Is his contract loaded with incentives? Mike Price "technically" had a one million dollar contract. It was loaded with bonuses and incentives and even had a clause for a big payout if he won the national championship. I shit you not.

Second, let UTSA play their stupid pissing match games with UTEP and with El Paso for all that matters. If UTEP paid $5 million to a basketball coach, UTSA will pay Five million and one cent. Alamo Bowl does the same with the Sun Bowl. UTSA is the ODU of Texas; they have massive illusions of grandeur.

I believe Forbes makes around $230K base salary & gets a $200K retention bonus every July 1. He also has incentives. ETSU will probably try and pay him more, but can only pay him so much. I would guess they would max out around 600K or so? His team has won 9 of their last 10 and their only loss is at Xavier by 2. They were up 22 and lost.....I have no idea if he would be interested in your job, I'm just aware of his relationship with Jim Senter. Good luck the rest of the year.....

Reactions: El Paso 777
I believe Forbes makes around $230K base salary & gets a $200K retention bonus every July 1. He also has incentives. ETSU will probably try and pay him more, but can only pay him so much. I would guess they would max out around 600K or so? His team has won 9 of their last 10 and their only loss is at Xavier by 2. They were up 22 and lost.....I have no idea if he would be interested in your job, I'm just aware of his relationship with Jim Senter. Good luck the rest of the year.....
Forbes would be a great hire, but from reading this, ETSU can pay exactly what UTEP will pay him, so Forbes is definitely a long shot at coming here. Why would he leave a better situation to go to a worse situation making the same amount of money???

Isn't he a convicted felon? Professors and other employees at UTEP have to pass a background check during the application process to work at UTEP, I am sure the same goes for the coaches who apply.

Yeah, we don't need that kind of negativity around the program. We should stick to hiring coaches who funnel money to highly regarded players. Worked wonders last time.

I have heard Senter is interested in Ron Sanchez from Virginia.
Looks like a good young coach. Virginia's staff has done very well under Bennett. He would probably keep the tradition of defense as a priority for UTEP basketball. I do prefer a higher tempo offense though. His bio really doesn't mention much about his recruiting prowess, but maybe he could get some good players here and possibly bring Fili Rivera with him (given his connection to Puerto Rico).

Last edited:
Reactions: EPTUTEP
Lets not act like the background to work at UTEP is the same as gaining the highest levels of Govt. clearance. I am sure Kimani Young passed a background to get job at Minnesota.

Yeah, we don't need that kind of negativity around the program. We should stick to hiring coaches who funnel money to highly regarded players. Worked wonders last time.

Great post! Especially considering his history and first recruiting class. We all should have known he would end up being a bust here. Thanks for diverting the thread to make this point. Fresh take!

Lets not act like the background to work at UTEP is the same as gaining the highest levels of Govt. clearance. I am sure Kimani Young passed a background to get job at Minnesota.
Well ya comparing a background check from utep to a high end govt job is like comparing apples to oranges, but a felony can even disqualify someone from even getting a basic minimum wage retail job. Even if we did hire him, having a convicted felon as a coach will hurt us on the recruiting trail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT