ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty Much New Mexico Bowl Bound!

With UNT’s win over UTSA, it looks like we’re going to the NM bowl. That really sucks! It looks like UNT will be going to the Frisco Bowl. The Frisco Bowl would have been great.
I think that as well

ESPN isn’t going to send UTEP to New Orleans to play a 10 win Louisiana. They want competitive bowls, not a game nobody will watch after the 1st quarter.
Ummm..... So not sure how your math works, but where I come from 10% isn't a very good chance guy!

No body asked me, but I don’t think we should be going to any kind of bowl, just because we had 7 wins. We didn't beat anyone of consequence; only losers that we historically haven't beaten. We have lost 4 of our last 5 and will be nationally embarrassed no matter who we meet. The 7-5 record is deceiving.

No body asked me, but I don’t think we should be going to any kind of bowl, just because we had 7 wins. We didn't beat anyone of consequence; only losers that we historically haven't beaten. We have lost 4 of our last 5 and will be nationally embarrassed no matter who we meet. The 7-5 record is deceiving.
Well fortunately it's not up to you and with so many bowls 7 wins is pretty much a for sure your going bowling. Think of it like CBI or NIT. More practice time, helps build to next year and if you win fan base will be happy.

Well fortunately it's not up to you and with so many bowls 7 wins is pretty much a for sure your going bowling. Think of it like CBI or NIT. More practice time, helps build to next year and if you win fan base will be happy.
More like CBI or CIT. No way the NIT would take a 16-14 UTEP team.

More like CBI or CIT. No way the NIT would take a 16-14 UTEP team.
It's a little different record wise in basketball because the games played. So percentage wise it's more like 18-14, but I get your point. Either way it still applies, more practice, small reward and happy fan base with win.

We're not one of those financially well-off schools who can flirt with elite coolness by turning down the payout of a bowl bid

So one of these: ODU, Wyoming, N. Texas, M. Tenn, Ball St., Miami, OH
I don't think it will be any of the cusa schools. All of them finished strong. My guess would be on Wyoming or the MAC teams.

I don't think it will be any of the cusa schools. All of them finished strong. My guess would be on Wyoming or the MAC teams.
It doesn't matter who finished strong. It matters if your conference has enough bowl tie ins. Whichever conference has more bowl eligible teams than tie ins will be the conference where the six win no bowl teams come from.

It doesn't matter who finished strong. It matters if your conference has enough bowl tie ins. Whichever conference has more bowl eligible teams than tie ins will be the conference where the six win no bowl teams come from.
That would also be the the MW or MAC.

Why not Wyoming over UTEP if it was between the 2? Are UTEP fans going to travel to the game if they don't attend the games in El Paso? Wyoming's average attendance is higher than ours. What benefit does UTEP bring to the bowl game?

I would also guarantee any bowl would rather have a MW school than a CUSA one. You have to look at this from outside El Paso. Does UTEP and their vaunted offense make for an exciting bowl game? Who cares about UTEP outside of El Paso? Our only option is the New Mexico Bowl, because no other bowl would want us. At least under Price we slung the ball all over the place and weren't like watching paint dry.

Sure, maybe Dimel played the only way he could with our talent to win, and this is the team that we have. But this is a team that only a homer could enjoy watching. We do not make for an exciting bowl game.

Because UTEP is 7-5 and not 6-6.
Lol, thanks for clarifying that for him! He wrote a whole bunch of stuff on why a bowl would pick Wyoming over UTEP and you summed up the answer nice and short! So reiterating the tweet that was posted said... A 6-6 Group Of 5 Team Will Be Left Out!

Why not Wyoming over UTEP if it was between the 2? Are UTEP fans going to travel to the game if they don't attend the games in El Paso? Wyoming's average attendance is higher than ours. What benefit does UTEP bring to the bowl game?

I would also guarantee any bowl would rather have a MW school than a CUSA one. You have to look at this from outside El Paso. Does UTEP and their vaunted offense make for an exciting bowl game? Who cares about UTEP outside of El Paso? Our only option is the New Mexico Bowl, because no other bowl would want us. At least under Price we slung the ball all over the place and weren't like watching paint dry.

Sure, maybe Dimel played the only way he could with our talent to win, and this is the team that we have. But this is a team that only a homer could enjoy watching. We do not make for an exciting bowl game.

Damn UTEP still isn't safe...

I wonder if this is true

Last edited:
They don’t understand how it works. CUSA cannot place ODU or UNT in a bowl and leave UTEP out. UTEP is 100% going bowling.
I think it's gonna be one of the 6-6 MAC teams. Or if CUSA wanted to be petty they would make ODU or UNT stay home.

Oso, NoWins, and Natty yall need to stop shooting the messenger.

I think it's gonna be one of the 6-6 MAC teams. Or if CUSA wanted to be petty they would make ODU or UNT stay home.
Probably, I guess it depends on which bowls are left. ODU and UNT probably “deserve” to go bowling based on their last 5 games. It’s all up to ESPN to decide once all guaranteed slots are taken.

Why would a conference make one of its members stay home? Is that even possible? It’ll ultimately be ESPN who decides who stays home.

Ironically, if the San Francisco Bowl were playing this year, we’d be talking about a 5-7 team going bowling.

Why would a conference make one of its members stay home? Is that even possible? It’ll ultimately be ESPN who decides who stays home.

Ironically, if the San Francisco Bowl were playing this year, we’d be talking about a 5-7 team going bowling.
Because those conference teams aren't going to be in C-USA anymore. Sun Belt did it to an 8-4 WKU when they left. At least that’s what their fans claim.

Interestingly most new Bowl Projections have Utep playing in DFW area Bowls. Frisco & First Responder Bowl's.

Reactions: JCorona
Im fine with that after seeing the other matchups we'd have. Here's my percentage of winning vs potential teams in our Bowl game.

Wyoming 50%
Nevada 35 %
Utah St. 30 %
Fresno St./Army 20%

Georgia -3,000,000% just threw this one in there for fun lol

I really doubt they will stick Army in the NM Bowl to face UTEP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT