ADVERTISEMENT

Question regarding UTEP and NMSU

Tucson_Miner

MI Regular
Nov 24, 2004
so we all have an idea (or ideas) of what it will take for us to make the NCAA tournament ... more athletic players, players staying a full four seasons, strong OOC wins, win the conference tournament.

BUT what do you do when you lose your last 9 tournament opening games as NMSU has. Reason I ask is getting in seems to be a little easier to figure out but how in the heck do you take it that next step?

Hearing that the Aggies have lost their last 9 first round games got me thinking ... would we be happy just going? Does CTF have to actually win and not just get in to prove himself or will we be happy to get in and lose?

Good question. Myself, whatever Middle Tennessee is doing would work for me. Interesting thing, in the post game analysis of Middle Tennessee's win, I heard a lot of talk about Kermit Davis strategy and tactics on defense. Switching defenses in the middle of possession, the defenses they employ and so on. So similar to what Floyd and company have done, or did the latter half of the season. We know Davis is a Floyd protege. My question is, who was coaching who? Plus it helps to have recruited the right personnel and kept them. I think JaCorey Williams transfer to MTSU was a godsend for them this season, much like Caracter was for Barbee. The dude is a beast.

I didn't really answer your question though. If we made the Dance 9 years without a win, playing in a conference similar to ours or nmsu's, I wouldn't be a happy camper. I'd imagine you'd hear the same gripes you're hearing now in these parts. 9 years, you gotta win now and then.

Last edited:
so we all have an idea (or ideas) of what it will take for us to make the NCAA tournament ... more athletic players, players staying a full four seasons, strong OOC wins, win the conference tournament.

BUT what do you do when you lose your last 9 tournament opening games as NMSU has. Reason I ask is getting in seems to be a little easier to figure out but how in the heck do you take it that next step?

Hearing that the Aggies have lost their last 9 first round games got me thinking ... would we be happy just going? Does CTF have to actually win and not just get in to prove himself or will we be happy to get in and lose?

Those 9 times have been by 5 different coaches though. Had they all been under 1 coach then fans would have the right to be upset. Even though, I'm sure NMSU has been the lower seed in all of those games.

At this point, just getting in would be an accomplishment. No need to win, just get there.

Those 9 times have been by 5 different coaches though. Had they all been under 1 coach then fans would have the right to be upset. Even though, I'm sure NMSU has been the lower seed in all of those games.

At this point, just getting in would be an accomplishment. No need to win, just get there.
Ok, I can see your point about the different coaches. I didn't really look that up. As far as CUSA is concerned, MTSU has proven it can be done. Heck, not even Memphis could muster a win in the Dance, their last few trips while in CUSA. Yeah, I'd be thrilled with a trip back, but would expect a win if given a decent seed.

Reactions: SportsFanOfElPaso
Good question. Baby steps. First just get in. That would be enough. After losing several straight, the satisfaction of just getting there would start to wear thin...with me at least.

However, that said, getting in at least gives you a chance to advance.

To the OP, NMSU is probably in a very unique situation. They are a small fish but inside of a tiny beta fish tank. They should win their conference tournament every year.

Most schools 'fit in' their conferences. NMSU is the odd situation of being non-relevant yet being the biggest name in the conference.

Having two other decent teams and one good student section doesn't make a conference.

To the OP, NMSU is probably in a very unique situation. They are a small fish but inside of a tiny beta fish tank. They should win their conference tournament every year.

Most schools 'fit in' their conferences. NMSU is the odd situation of being non-relevant yet being the biggest name in the conference.

Having two other decent teams and one good student section doesn't make a conference.

NMSU is non-relevant? What does that make UTEP since they can't even beat NMSU?

How many decent teams are in CUSA? The WAC had more teams playing in the postseason.

And no, NMSU shouldn't win every year because they still have to win the games. Next year with Grand Canyon being eligible for the WAC tournament it will be much tougher.

Reactions: alvinosports
NMSU is non-relevant?

Correct.

What does that make UTEP since they can't even beat NMSU?

NMSU non-relevance doesn't make UTEP anything. They are in different conferences. NMSU is a non-relevant fish in a non-relevant pond. UTEP is a mid size fish in a mid size pond. Their recent records against each other does not change that fact.

How many decent teams are in CUSA?

The WAC had more teams playing in the postseason.

I'm sure ESPN and CBS are in a bidding war for the TV rights because of that.

And no, NMSU shouldn't win every year because they still have to win the games. Next year with Grand Canyon being eligible for the WAC tournament it will be much tougher.

That's on you for accepting mediocrity. That's not me. I would not even want the teams NMSU played in the WAC tourney to even be on our OOC schedule - much less consider them too tough to be expected to beat every season.

Yeah, Louisiana College, Maryland Eastern Shore, and SE Louisiana are way better than playing WAC teams? We can't even beat the WAC team on our schedule. Great observations RanDaddyMiner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlos,

Did I say I preferred or even wanted Louisiana College, Maryland Eastern Shore, or SE Louisiana on our schedule? No need for conjecture or projection. You can stand on your own points and merits if you apply yourself.

Your friend, mentor, and spiritual advisor,

RanDaddyBinks

We have a wiener! Funny how when someone new pops up, that is the first person he is accused of being. Couldn't be more wrong. Think about the realm of possibilities.

Well played but you missed the point. If I'm randaddyminer then you must be Carlos. Now excuse me as I have to go check if green font is available...

That is a very interesting response. Why can't he have a different point of view? Why can't he have a difference of opinion? Why must he be a troll for thinking all 14 CUSA are "decent"? Are the only options "agreement" or "trolling"?

You're not a decent team when your RPI in the 300's.

You know somebody is a troll when they say they are 14 decent teams in CUSA.

Agree with EPSF or you are a troll. Brilliant.

il_fullxfull.322256001.jpg

Reactions: MistaBinks
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT