ADVERTISEMENT

Questions on Dimel?

waggcat

High school stud
Jun 23, 2006
KSU fan for many years and thought I'd see if you guys were ready to go all Tennessee on us or not.

Happy to answer any questions you have about Dana Dimel. There's good and bad about this hire for you I think.

I have a question. How happy is K-State nation to get rid of Dimel? On a scale of 1-10. 9 or 10?
Ha. You tell me. If I had to guess, it is an 8 at a minimum but I don't think that that means he's destined to fail here. I think there are concepts of his offense that can work for UTEP, but he's going to have to quit being so predictable. Our fan base could call probably half the plays based on formation this year.

Oh and to put this in context....this was only the second best pawning job we've done lately. John Currie leaving to be the AD at Tennessee is still #1 in the last 12 months....

Reactions: stratton657
What area did he recruit for KSt and how good of a recruiter is he?

What other coaches from KSt are rumored to be coming along with him?

What do you have to say about the pool-table incident?

He wasn't confined to a specific recruiting area, but did have ties in multiple areas, Texas being one. Still, don't kid yourself like he's some former TX HS coach that knows everyone. KSU hasn't exactly mopped up with TX recruits lately. He would obviously get heavily involved with key offensive targets and kids generally in the state of KS.

There are no rumored coaches coming your way that we know of. He kind of splintered himself from the rest of the coaching staff. Lots of infighting this year supposedly centered around how he probably over-featured his son as part of our offense. I can see him trying to grab Michael Smith (just lost his job at Arkansas and former KSU WR and WR coach). He's energetic and most KSU fans liked him. I can see him being brought in in some capacity.

I honestly never even heard the pool table rumor until now....

1. He was part of the old guard who didn't recruit and led to the constant talent drain we have

2. None You want. He pisssd off most of the younger ones with a lazy recruiting work ethic and was on his way out. Even though kstate never fired coaches

3. No comment

Part of all of his issues was he came expecting to get the kstate head coach job... which he had no chance at all, so rumors had him sabotaging this year's team as payback

He would have been an inspired choice at oc.. as hc...... well

Reactions: ksufelis

It’s been said by a couple people he might be bringing former KSU LB coach Mike Cox with him.

Cox was let go before this season. It was reported he was helping former AD John Currie look for reasons to push Bill Snyder out.

It’s not an A+ source that Cox is coming along or anything so don’t be shocked if it doesn’t happen. Other than that I would be surprised if any of the KSU staff comes with Dimel.

It’s been said by a couple people he might be bringing former KSU LB coach Mike Cox with him.

Cox was let go before this season. It was reported he was helping former AD John Currie look for reasons to push Bill Snyder out.

It’s not an A+ source that Cox is coming along or anything so don’t be shocked if it doesn’t happen. Other than that I would be surprised if any of the KSU staff comes with Dimel.
I wonder if he'd give Mangino a call? All fat man and KU jokes aside, you could do worse when trying to get a program back off the ground.

Waggcat, don't waste your time in here. El Paso fans are never happy. Our team just went 0-12, and instead of being happy we don't have to endure another year with Coach Kugler, Now everyone is crying that we didn't hire Sumlin or Briles like we ever had a chance. These are the same people who expect a 9-3 season next year or bust. Funny how one win next season is an improvement. Give the guy an opportunity to show what he can do. Funny how many professional critics, coaches, and or athletic directors are in here.

Waggcat, don't waste your time in here. El Paso fans are never happy. Our team just went 0-12, and instead of being happy we don't have to endure another year with Coach Kugler, Now everyone is crying that we didn't hire Sumlin or Briles like we ever had a chance. These are the same people who expect a 9-3 season next year or bust. Funny how one win next season is an improvement. Give the guy an opportunity to show what he can do. Funny how many professional critics, coaches, and or athletic directors are in here.
I get it. I think the other KSU fans on here can agree when I say that our boards would be in complete melt down at 0-12.

Dimel has been around a lot of really talented football coaches. His offense is capable of many different looks, but to be honest I'm not sure how much of the offense he ran at KSU was his vs. Bill Snyder's. Still, the predictability was the worst part. That and the stubbornness to keep trying things that hadn't worked in previous games over again (going with slowly developing run plays from the shotgun on 3rd and 4th and short was extremely common this year).

Still, involving the QB in the run game and going a little counter-culture has its advantages in most leagues. It makes you harder to prepare for and defense don't see that look just a whole lot (at least not in the big 12).

I'll also defend his recruiting a tad bit. Snyder wasn't ever focused on in-season recruiting and I imagine that makes Dimel look like he doesn't care. He may..I guess you'll see soon enough.

C'mon newbie you're not going to argue there were better options within UTEP's grasp like Keeler, Houston, Gilbert, Briles(not art). Hope for the best and DD has success, but to say this was the best they could do is disingenuous at best willful ignorance at worst.

C'mon newbie you're not going to argue there were better options within UTEP's grasp like Keeler, Houston, Gilbert, Briles(not art). Hope for the best and DD has success, but to say this was the best they could do is disingenuous at best willful ignorance at worst.
Newbie or not, perhaps it was the best we could do. Who's to say any of those mentioned names were interested or didn't come with a hefty price tag. We already heard "more with less". Since NON of us were in the negotiations or interviews, we have no clue what was looked at or why others may have been looked over. I agree all we can do is hope for the best and hope DD has success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT