ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage at the SAC

UTEPMiners8106

MI Hall of Famer
Jul 15, 2013
Did any of you guys go?

I went and I have to admit it was fun seeing the team in that environment. Dimmel did a good job explaining all of the drills and what they were trying to accomplish throughout the practice.
It was good watching the team line up in 3 wide and watching the WRs go downfield. And I thought it was exciting watching Locksley throw a gem on his first pass for a TD.

Sat with him at the Track meet today. heard him say he was a little sore but who wasn't.

What was cool was seeing UTEP's new royalty with Aaron Jones and Will Hernandez. And I missed him but saw that Coach Rodney Terry was there as well and spoke to the crowd during the town hall session.

I wasn’t able to go. How was the attendance like? More or less how many fans were there in the stadium?

I read online that they said 500. My guess was a little more. But the fans were engaged and it looks like people enjoyed what they saw.

Reactions: HeWore62
I could see that as well. People were trickling in and out all night. Not everyone stayed for the town hall and the scrimmage.

Personally I had no interest in going to the townhall and hear Senter explain why we’re not going to The MWC, why we don’t have baseball, why fans can’t tailgate till Monday and why they think football tickets are too expensive...... again. And that’s not a knock on Senter.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
The answers don’t bother me because he’s making the point that it’s about money. And unfortunately fans want all these things but no one goes to games and fewer give.

Anybody who thinks we can have baseball, is a damn fool. Anybody who expects 5.00 tickets are damn fools
Tailgating can and should be fixed.

What are this boards (locals) gripes with tailgating? Seems like most people want a place close to the stadium to get ossified drunk. Does that sum it up?

Reactions: UTEPDefense
I believe it’s more the limitations put on it, when tailgating with a large group not all want to go to the game. Currently only one person is allowed to stay. Who wants to stay alone. I know my wife would go for the tailgating, but could care a less about the game. I’m sure their are others I. The same boat.
Also only being able to stay for one hour after the game. That’s not enough time to redirect the grill.

Reactions: burnme1
People complain about parking now. Remember how a ton of people would tailgate and not even go to the games? Imagine the parking if they go back to the way it was.
I remember in the late 80's and early 90's some people I would go to games with wouldn't go into the game because they were having more fun on their butts drinking and eating.

I went to the Town Hall / Scrimmage at the SAC. As most have mentioned, it’s pretty much the same questions at this point. From all the buzz online, I thought there was going to be a much bigger crowd. I’m not even sure what a good / bad crowd is for a spring scrimmage.

Reactions: burnme1
I believe it’s more the limitations put on it, when tailgating with a large group not all want to go to the game. Currently only one person is allowed to stay. Who wants to stay alone. I know my wife would go for the tailgating, but could care a less about the game. I’m sure their are others I. The same boat.
Also only being able to stay for one hour after the game. That’s not enough time to redirect the grill.
Stupid spell check

Seems like a simple fix, allow two to stay back and must bugout time of 2 hours after the game.

I still contend that at least half of the people who are currently complaining about the tailgating rule changes can not even name one single rule change. It has just become a popular excuse that caught on in popularity without most people even knowing the details. For once, when someone complains about tailgating, I wish Senter would just ask them specifically which one of the 2010 tailgating rule changes that they are not happy with? Half the people won't be able to name one rule change, they are simply complaining because they have heard other people say it for years now.

That being said, sometimes the perception becomes a bigger problem than the issue itself, so Senter will still need to address this bad PR and I hope they can find a balance to help improve the situation, but also keep: underage drinking under control, keep our campus from being trashed, and not have 5,000 people hanging out on campus drinking and partying, without even buying tickets, at the same time that the game is going on.

BTW, I am absolutely thrilled with Senter thus far. We desperately needed him and his vision/drive/effort. I am thankful that he was the choice for AD.

I still contend that at least half of the people who are currently complaining about the tailgating rule changes can not even name one single rule change. It has just become a popular excuse that caught on in popularity without most people even knowing the details. For once, when someone complains about tailgating, I wish Senter would just ask them specifically which one of the 2010 tailgating rule changes that they are not happy with? Half the people won't be able to name one rule change, they are simply complaining because they have heard other people say it for years now.

That being said, sometimes the perception becomes a bigger problem than the issue itself, so Senter will still need to address this bad PR and I hope they can find a balance to help improve the situation, but also keep: underage drinking under control, keep our campus from being trashed, and not have 5,000 people hanging out on campus drinking and partying, without even buying tickets, at the same time that the game is going on.

BTW, I am absolutely thrilled with Senter thus far. We desperately needed him and his vision/drive/effort. I am thankful that he was the choice for AD.
We have to be reponsible with alcohol consumption! That was the main concern, and it HAS to be the main concern going forward! Too many deaths in El Paso because of alcohol. It's a no brainier that UTEP would tone down the tailgating. People need to see the bigger picture and be more responsible. I support the strickter tailgating rules for safer roads and a safer campus

Parking? I park about a mile away, tailgate, eat, walk about a mile, and enjoy the sights and sounds of the tailgating. It's actually a pleasure! I would hate to drive up to the stadium door and miss all this! It's college football for God's sake!

Remember when Monster Trucks and the Memphis game were both sold out at the same time on the same night?

All week long UTEP said to get there early.

I’ve never had a problem with parking in the schuster garage and either shuttling or walking. That night I got there 3 hours before game time and walked around and made a day of it. But I ran into Culpepper who was stuck in gridlock trying to get to the Don.

My issue has always been with logistics. Pointing people in the right direction. UTEP always has assumed that everyone knows where to go. You go a lot, I go a lot, but I also try to sell people on the games and in some cases they will tell me, ‘I went once and it was a hassle.’ Just because we know the routine doesn’t mean the casual fan does.

Reactions: MistaBinks
I read online that they said 500. My guess was a little more. But the fans were engaged and it looks like people enjoyed what they saw.
You hear fewer F-bombs with this new staff, but these new guys have their own way of making the message stick. Definitely a teaching environment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT