ADVERTISEMENT

So rumor has it.....

TortugaEP

Rookie
Aug 4, 2015
Ok, so I am PISSED! The team we have sucks! I have been a HUGE fan of Floyd since he was here as an assistant. I followed him throw all his years elsewhere. I prayed he would come home to retire. I STILL don't buy into all the speculation he was job hunting at any point while head coach here. I call bullshit....but....

Every once in a while I come across a bit of info that, while it's just a rumor, has some legs. Today I heard that Floyd is gone this year regardless of what happens. Fired? retired? Take another job elsewhere? I just don't know.

I do know that I would LOVE for him to be gone TODAY! I'm not spending the money I do on season tickets for this crap. I'm feeling petty much the same way I did Price's last few years. ( I haven't been to a game since)

take it for what it's worth.....

Ok, so I am PISSED! The team we have sucks! I have been a HUGE fan of Floyd since he was here as an assistant. I followed him throw all his years elsewhere. I prayed he would come home to retire. I STILL don't buy into all the speculation he was job hunting at any point while head coach here. I call bullshit....but....

Every once in a while I come across a bit of info that, while it's just a rumor, has some legs. Today I heard that Floyd is gone this year regardless of what happens. Fired? retired? Take another job elsewhere? I just don't know.

I do know that I would LOVE for him to be gone TODAY! I'm not spending the money I do on season tickets for this crap. I'm feeling petty much the same way I did Price's last few years. ( I haven't been to a game since)

take it for what it's worth.....

I hope your source is correct. It's time. It's been time.

Reactions: Metal Mania Joe
Not saying I agree or disagree just saying if Floyd is gone this is what I think will happen

If BG has cleaned himself up and will at least commit to 3 or 4 years of getting this program back to the NCAA I'd be ok with giving him a second shot here. He's a flat out recruiter and Motivator, just needs to stay off the Sauce

Brad Underwood would be a homerun hire. He would get us back to tournament.

Cross wouldnt leave UTA to come to UTEP. He's a UTA alumn and met his wife there. It would be a latterel move. He may leave UTA but it wont be for another mid major job. In fact I think it would have to be a top 20 job for him to even consider a move.

I've always thought about the reason why Greg Foster left for the NBA rather than wait in the wings for CTF to retire. I think he wanted to build his resume with coaching experience in the NBA to go along with his playing career to bolster his name in the recruiting wars, be more attractive to those impressionable recruits. Hopefully

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Brad Underwood would be a homerun hire. He would get us back to tournament.

Cross wouldnt leave UTA to come to UTEP. He's a UTA alumn and met his wife there. It would be a latterel move. He may leave UTA but it wont be for another mid major job. In fact I think it would have to be a top 20 job for him to even consider a move.

UTEP is not a lateral move from UTA. UTEP is a superior program. Perhaps not for the 2015-16 season, but overall UTEP is a step or 2 up from UTA.

UTEP is not a lateral move from UTA. UTEP is a superior program. Perhaps not for the 2015-16 season, but overall UTEP is a step or 2 up from UTA.

Not anymore. We both play in one bid leagues. UTA plays in brand new arena that is nicer amenities wise and technologically than the Haskins center. It only holds 7000 but the CPC is a top of the line arena. Outside of the power five schools in Texas I think only SMU has a better arena than UTA. They can pay him more than we can pay him because they dont play football. Hes in the middle of one of the top recruiting areas in the country. We definitely have better history and fan support. However, considering his ties to UTA and the facilities he has to work with, UTEP would be a latterel move.

Purple or whatever you call yourself. GET OVER IT !!! CANTU really? If he was any good he would be Head Coach somewhere else by now. Again like The Eagles song says..... GET OVER IT !!!

Not anymore. We both play in one bid leagues. UTA plays in brand new arena that is nicer amenities wise and technologically than the Haskins center. It only holds 7000 but the CPC is a top of the line arena. Outside of the power five schools in Texas I think only SMU has a better arena than UTA. They can pay him more than we can pay him because they dont play football. Hes in the middle of one of the top recruiting areas in the country. We definitely have better history and fan support. However, considering his ties to UTA and the facilities he has to work with, UTEP would be a latterel move.

I can believe that UTEP has finally reached the conclusion that it has to invest in football to raise the stature of the entire athletic department. I firmly believe they will not short fund basketball to do it. Basketball is and will remain too important to UTEP and El Paso to do that. But football can be a big money maker and sometimes you need to spend money to make money. Invest in football and the returns will come in.

As for UTEP being a lateral move for the UTA coach, that's not the case at all.

Floyd makes $605,000 annually while Cross makes $200,000. Not even close. Now maybe he loves UTA so much he won't leave but it's not because the UTEP job is a lateral move. It's a move up. The link below shows figures from Feb of 2014.

http://salaries.texastribune.org/university-of-texas-at-arlington/scott-cross/1743/

Reactions: Rot
Purple or whatever you call yourself. GET OVER IT !!! CANTU really? If he was any good he would be Head Coach somewhere else by now. Again like The Eagles song says..... GET OVER IT !!!

Metal or whatever the hell you call yourself GET OVER What? Did I say I wanted cantu? I just said I bet you that's the direction they go, learn to read!! Being able to read and comprehend is important in life.....

I can believe that UTEP has finally reached the conclusion that it has to invest in football to raise the stature of the entire athletic department. I firmly believe they will not short fund basketball to do it. Basketball is and will remain too important to UTEP and El Paso to do that. But football can be a big money maker and sometimes you need to spend money to make money. Invest in football and the returns will come in.

As for UTEP being a lateral move for the UTA coach, that's not the case at all.

Floyd makes $605,000 annually while Cross makes $200,000. Not even close. Now maybe he loves UTA so much he won't leave but it's not because the UTEP job is a lateral move. It's a move up. The link below shows figures from Feb of 2014.

http://salaries.texastribune.org/university-of-texas-at-arlington/scott-cross/1743/

He gets paid less now, but they have made a huge investment into the program. Im sure they could give him a deal like shaka Smart had at VCU in 1-1.2 million a year range. This is the most publicity UTA has ever had. I cant them letting UTEP or any other mid major out bid them to keep cross. They have huge potential. They could become the Texas version of Wichita State. Their president has said they wont bring back football unless they get 100 million in private donations. Football is not coming back anytime soon so they can pour more money than most schools into hoops.

I don't know guys. Only thing I do know is a very rarely see this guy, but when I do and he drops a bit of info, it's been pretty darn accurate. Who friggin knows....

IMHO I don't like any of the coaches on staff anymore. I used to think Johnson was being groomed to replace Floyd when he retired. But I soon realized they are both old. LOL Cantu is young but Floyd couldn't get him the SC job, so why could he get the UTEP gig? Foster....while a super nice guy and a good big man coach, doesn't seem to be a HC. Besides, do we want to go the same route as our football program with a learn on the job coach? yeah, no.

What I would LOVE to see is Stull step down now. He's done a great job, but let's take it to another level!!!

Dang let the yr finish, I know we haven't been dancing with CTF but always had quality teams truth is if one of our player didn't jump to the draft this thread would be nonexistent, one bad year and people want to hang CTF let the yr play out because the only thing that matters is how we end it

Reactions: Carlosergio
If BG has cleaned himself up and will at least commit to 3 or 4 years of getting this program back to the NCAA I'd be ok with giving him a second shot here. He's a flat out recruiter and Motivator, just needs to stay off the Sauce
Great real. I loved Billy but he has MAJOR issues - Back to the Future is not the answer. Anyway, Tim Floyd is a great coach and he will get the problems straightened out. If he leaves - he leaves - but I hope he doesn't.

Reactions: mine n for gold
I've been quiet for quite some time, but I feel the need to state some facts. First of all, we are very lucky to have CTF as our coach. Tell me how many CUSA head coaches have NBA and high-major college coaching experience. We all know that this is a one bid league in which whoever plays the best in MARCH has the best chance to get to the big dance.
As far as CTF staff is concerned, all of his assistants could be coaching at a much higher level. I agree that Johnson is no spring chicken but has more experience than 95% of the NCAA coaches in the country. Regarding a previous comment about Cantu being next in line for the UTEP job, I couldn't agree more that he clearly has the experience and proven track record. A close relative of mine, who also happens to be a USC trustee, has told me on several occasions that they made a terrible decision by not hiring Cantu for the permanent job. For example, during his interim year, he beat UCLA on the road (they went on to win the Pac-12), AZ (they went on to the Sweet 16), Stanford (Elite 8), and many others. All of the doubters should take a few moments to read his bio, there are several current NBA'ers whom he recruited.
No matter what happens I'm a loyal Miner alum, donor and fan for life. I just want to see Football and Basketball succeed.
And, not to leave out Coach Braswell but lets also not forget he has several years of HC experience.
I agree with a Imaminer about the major issues with BG. We don't need him back in EP. I'm sure we all recall his behavior at Texas Tech?? Lastly, UTA Coach Cross has had 2 good seasons out of 12. Can he recruit at a high level year in and year out? I doubt it.

Reactions: mine n for gold
UT Arlington 5-15259 3052 This is the average home attendance figs for UTA so far this year and with their good team it isn't really impressive. Can't believe UTEP and UTA are level in terms of being a lateral move. They have a good team but I would not put them on the same level as UTEP, job wise. I think he would move in a heartbeat if the situation and pay was right. Cross is not going to jump from UTA to a big major, but he certainly could from UTEP like all the others we have had here.

I've been quiet for quite some time, but I feel the need to state some facts. First of all, we are very lucky to have CTF as our coach. Tell me how many CUSA head coaches have NBA and high-major college coaching experience. We all know that this is a one bid league in which whoever plays the best in MARCH has the best chance to get to the big dance.
As far as CTF staff is concerned, all of his assistants could be coaching at a much higher level. I agree that Johnson is no spring chicken but has more experience than 95% of the NCAA coaches in the country. Regarding a previous comment about Cantu being next in line for the UTEP job, I couldn't agree more that he clearly has the experience and proven track record. A close relative of mine, who also happens to be a USC trustee, has told me on several occasions that they made a terrible decision by not hiring Cantu for the permanent job. For example, during his interim year, he beat UCLA on the road (they went on to win the Pac-12), AZ (they went on to the Sweet 16), Stanford (Elite 8), and many others. All of the doubters should take a few moments to read his bio, there are several current NBA'ers whom he recruited.
No matter what happens I'm a loyal Miner alum, donor and fan for life. I just want to see Football and Basketball succeed.
And, not to leave out Coach Braswell but lets also not forget he has several years of HC experience.
I agree with a Imaminer about the major issues with BG. We don't need him back in EP. I'm sure we all recall his behavior at Texas Tech?? Lastly, UTA Coach Cross has had 2 good seasons out of 12. Can he recruit at a high level year in and year out? I doubt it.

Exactly!!

So if a large corporation hires a VP of Sales based on his experience and back grounf, but after 6 years he's done nothing at the company he was hired, should it matter what he did at his previous companies or what he's been able to do or in this case not do for your company? Simple Scenario with an obvious answer in today's world.

This talk is way premature plus coaching is different I'm saying if 32 sorry can't remember name didn't declare for the draft we wouldn't be having this discussion

So if a large corporation hires a VP of Sales based on his experience and back grounf, but after 6 years he's done nothing at the company he was hired, should it matter what he did at his previous companies or what he's been able to do or in this case not do for your company? Simple Scenario with an obvious answer in today's world.

Eventually that person will turn the corner for you. Trust me, I know business. I used to work at Montgomery Ward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT