ADVERTISEMENT

Some new sports Utep can add

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
For men If not baseball.

What about lacross or wrestling? Wrestling could benifit the football program. Wrestling could be for womens and men.

Also why doesnt utep have a swim team?

It just seems how big utep is it doesnt offer many sports.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
What about lacross or wrestling? Wrestling could benifit the football program. Wrestling could be for womens and men.
Wrestling is a popular winter sport in the northern states: something to do during the winter when it's below zero outside, when it's not football season. The state of Iowa is a powerhouse, with the U of Iowa, Iowa St., and Northern Iowa frequently in the top ten, and they are successful particularly because wrestling is very popular at the high school level (again, winter sport in a northern state), so they have a substantial talent pool to recruit from.

I don't perceive that competitive wrestling is popular in El Paso at all, high school or otherwise, and I don't think they would ever attract the talent or have the fan support to even approach the success at the northern schools where it's actually popular.

The southern schools are traditionally better baseball schools than the northern schools, and if there's one thing CUSA is actually good for right now it's baseball. If UTEP were to add a men's sport, it really needs to be baseball to take advantage of that. I could also see men's soccer (I mean, if people want MLS in El Paso, such a soccer town we are, we should be able to support a team at UTEP, right?).

UTEP offers and has great tradition in track & field, which most schools don't offer. That's the tradeoff we've made in not having some teams that other schools have, like baseball. And I think it's the right call, given our tradition.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
What high school sports have El Paso kids done well at historically where recruiting locally would be an option? Not football or basketball, but possibly baseball and soccer. These might be smart ideas because there is a viable supply locally for a foundation.

Reactions: axingfools1
You know it's spring time when we start the annual what sport UTEP should add thread, lol. That said due to Title IX and UTEPs athletics budget in general we won't see another sport added in our lifetime....I hope I'm wrong but there's no way we can afford to add any sport especially when it will operate at a financial loss as all collegiate sports do sans football and men's basketball in general.

Only 2 more sports. UTEP offers 14 sports and NMSU 16....that's combined between men and women. I'm sure when you add up total scholarships given in all sports it would be nearly identical.

As far as I can tell on the men's side NMSU has baseball and tennis....UTEP has neither. While UTEP has men's track and field, NMSU does not.

Someone smarter than me would have to answer that. That said the last data I could find showed UTSA spending 26.1 million on athletics in 2014-2015. UTEP spent 29.3 million in the same time period. Adding sports means adding to the expenditures and any sport added would not be revenue generating thus it would create a greater chance to operate in the negative as an athletic program.

CUSA has strong baseball and soccer leagues. If we ever did add those two sports I believe we could build winners that yearly competed for conference championships. Most of the time UTEP would make deep runs in the Soccer championship and the college World Series.

This is what I don't understand.

Football Bowl Subdivision Requirements An institution classified in Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) shall meet all the Division I membership requirements set forth in NCAA Division I Bylaw 20.9.9 and in addition, shall:

1. Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20. Sponsorship shall include a minimum six sports involving all male teams or mixed teams (males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams. [Bylaw 20.9.9.1]

Only 2 more sports. UTEP offers 14 sports and NMSU 16....that's combined between men and women. I'm sure when you add up total scholarships given in all sports it would be nearly identical.

As far as I can tell on the men's side NMSU has baseball and tennis....UTEP has neither. While UTEP has men's track and field, NMSU does not.

For UTEP to add baseball and also a woman's sport because of title 9, there would have to be donors willing to pay for those additional schollies and coaches and travel. That would not be a huge amount compared to some other sports but it does have to be paid for. I'd love to see it but Stull has to actually get busy and find some college baseball fans in EP with money to spare.

UTEP has the required 16 sports by having CC, Indoor T&F and Outdoor T&F for both men and women. So technically 6 men's sports and 10 women's sports.

UTEP utilizes 6 men CC athletes and 6 women's CC athletes on the track teams, thus saving schollies. Why the ncaa allows IT&F and OT&F to count as 2 sports, I don't know, because the athletes and schollies are the same. So basically UTEP gets by with the minimum scholarships allowed to qualify as FBS.

Reactions: kickballpro
UTEP has the required 16 sports by having CC, Indoor T&F and Outdoor T&F for both men and women. So technically 6 men's sports and 10 women's sports.

UTEP utilizes 6 men CC athletes and 6 women's CC athletes on the track teams, thus saving schollies. Why the ncaa allows IT&F and OT&F to count as 2 sports, I don't know, because the athletes and schollies are the same. So basically UTEP gets by with the minimum scholarships allowed to qualify as FBS.

Thanks. Didn't know that about track and field. So there is your answer, UTEP will never add another male sport.

They don't. Refer back to my previous post. UTEP has a bigger athletic budget than UTSA. Not by much but still bigger.

My question how does UTSA have more money than UTEP??
Short answer is they don't. UTEP's athletic budget is about $3 million higher than UTSA's budget. It's what you are willing to spend money on. UTSA spends about $3 million total on men's and women's basketball while UTEP spends about $5.7 million on those 2 sports. UTEP also spends about a half a million more on football. Basically UTEP puts a lot of emphasis on basketball and UTSA does not.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

Is Utep only team in Texas that doesnt have a baseball team? I cant think of any other.

If we were to add a sport or 2 or 3, it would have to make sense in our conference or a conference we were headed to.
Bowling is an easy one, but I don't think any school near here has a team. Besides, we only have 3 bowling centers in El Paso, one being on Ft Bliss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT