ADVERTISEMENT

Still throwing 5yd pass routes every f*****g pass play

Higgins last stint here as OC was pretty bad as well. And that was under a different head coach.

Seriously, guys, I understand the default reaction when things go wrong is to throw coordinators under the bus. But do you REALLY think Higgins is doing ANYTHING without Kugler's blessing, including game planning and play calling? What I don't get is why Stoker is getting a pass so far this year. They ALL got their mulligans two years ago...

Game planning is one thing, calling the plays is another. Whet don't you get? Let me explain something to you, when you "game plan" you brainstorm how you use your personnel, plays and scheme to attack theirs. The game plan includes short, medium, AND DEEP passes. Even triple option teams have deep passes. UTEP has them too, they're in the playbook I promise. We all, myself included, thought Higgins didn't trust Leftwich enough... Maybe he's just a complete dumbass unworthy of his position. As far as Stoker this is his 2nd or 3rd year. Not his his 3rd year in his SECOND sorry as tenure.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Kudos to UTSA for popping UTEP in the mouth in 2nd half. 5 turnovers for UTEP. Well life, what do you have say now?

Aaron Jones was a huge loss, and now Miners depth at RB is thin. UTEP has not been consistent on offense tonight and that's more due to injuries. Too many new pieces on the offensive side of the ball. Miners lost time of possession tonight, that's not a good thing moving forward

Aaron Jones was a huge loss, and now Miners depth at RB is thin. UTEP has not been consistent on offense tonight and that's more due to injuries. Too many new pieces on the offensive side of the ball. Miners lost time of possession tonight, that's not a good thing moving forward

Injuries in secondary hurt UTEP. However, UTSA scored 16 in less than 3 minutes and blew 2 opportunities late in 4th. That falls on Kugler because now he was forced to throw in a passing game. His unwillingness to to implement a passing earlier when Jones was healthy falls on him.

They sucked , that's all. I the two wins they didn't play good either. They were just playing severely inferior teams, or maybe I should say teams as good as the Miners. UTSA was there to be beat but UTEP didn't or doesn't have what it takes.

We didn't even try to run the ball. The play distribution ended up 50-22, and 12 of those runs were QB runs. Does Higgins have any idea what balance is? It's either 75% run or 75% pass. Can we not get somewhere near 50-50?

We didn't need Jones to win this game, so stop making excuses.. Our QB threw 4 ints, and 2 were pick sixes. Our play calling was still like we pee wee football game.

Game planning is one thing, calling the plays is another. Whet don't you get? Let me explain something to you, when you "game plan" you brainstorm how you use your personnel, plays and scheme to attack theirs. The game plan includes short, medium, AND DEEP passes. Even triple option teams have deep passes. UTEP has them too, they're in the playbook I promise. We all, myself included, thought Higgins didn't trust Leftwich enough... Maybe he's just a complete dumbass unworthy of his position. As far as Stoker this is his 2nd or 3rd year. Not his his 3rd year in his SECOND sorry as tenure.

@Playmaker, thanks for the explanation and clearing all that offensive stuff up. Maybe somebody can use the Monday presser to ask the HC why his OC is going all rogue on him with the play calling.

As for your Stoker explanation, uh, never mind...

Higgins call the plays. Kugler as a head coach is delegator. He gives his OC and DC full autonomy.

Welcome to FBS football Kugler! Even Steelers and Boise State had a passing game when he was an assistant. He's adjusting. Give him time. He's stubborn, not stupid.

Kugler tried to rely on Aaron to much for his offense and didn't recruit a balance team. Your WR crew can't consist of mainly walkons and blue shirts. Kugler ran Aaron in the ground like a mule and this is what we have left for the season. Kugler recruiting is the cause of this happening. He better find some more D1 RBs also.

Fans are asking for balance on offense after Miners were run heavy with healthy RB's. You guys do realize UTEP is to their 3rd and 4th string RB's that I believe are true freshmen. Last nights offense is what you get when you are playing true freshmen on the D1 level. I don't understand where people feel Kugler ran Jones to the ground. When Jones got hurt he had maybe 18 carries and UTEP still in the game. It would be different if they were losing by 30 pts with 2 minutes in the game and he gets injured. Injuries is part of the sport but when your UTEP injuries hurt more because of lack of depth. UTEP was fortunate last year when it came to injuries

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Aaron had 41 touches in 6 quarters against two huge D1 teams with most of them right up the gut. Only person with more touches this year is the wildcat qb who has 5 games to his credit to Aaron 6 quarters.

Fans are asking for balance on offense after Miners were run heavy with healthy RB's. You guys do realize UTEP is to their 3rd and 4th string RB's that I believe are true freshmen. Last nights offense is what you get when you are playing true freshmen on the D1 level. I don't understand where people feel Kugler ran Jones to the ground. When Jones got hurt he had maybe 18 carries and UTEP still in the game. It would be different if they were losing by 30 pts with 2 minutes in the game and he gets injured. Injuries is part of the sport but when your UTEP injuries hurt more because of lack of depth. UTEP was fortunate last year when it came to injuries

Totally agree. Everyone knew Jones would miss games. He's missed games in all three of his seasons at UTEP. Jones could have been hurt against anyone, Tech is not known as a physical team. Jones is not a durable back. Last night they opened up the game, Metz threw it 49 times. Metz played a bad game. You cant win when your qb is under 50 percent completion and throws four picks two of which were pick sixes. He struggled to make reads all night. His inexperience showed last night in his inability to read coverages. In the backfield we have a converted db and a fullback, not a good combination. So the reality is we cant run the ball now, our opponents know this. To add to the problem we have an inexperienced qb who is struggling with accuracy and decision making.

You also have to take into consideration the "use and abuse" Jones took last year too. Yes, Jones got hurt in the 2nd game, but it all adds up over the years. Every time you look at a box score for a UTEP game you only see Jones in the offensive category. Jones is the leader in rushes, receptions, rushing yards, receiving yards. The guy is used and abused. It's all fine and dandy when he is playing, but the coaches should have back up plans when one guy generates 90% of your offense. If he isn't playing, your offense goes down the crapper. You can only blame the coaching staff for this.

Because I've SEEN this movie before! He was a shitty OC under Nord and just as bad now. A motion screen pass from your own two?! Then a safety thanks to another piss poor call with Johnson running?! I doubt Kugler called those or ANY plays.

When I mentioned Higgins being bad, someone talked about Kugler's loyalty. Loyalty is a two-way street and it doesn't look like Sean is getting a lot from his.

Fans are asking for balance on offense after Miners were run heavy with healthy RB's. You guys do realize UTEP is to their 3rd and 4th string RB's that I believe are true freshmen. Last nights offense is what you get when you are playing true freshmen on the D1 level. I don't understand where people feel Kugler ran Jones to the ground. When Jones got hurt he had maybe 18 carries and UTEP still in the game

On so many levels, I could not agree less with your post. Qualifier: I am an admitted, vetted, long-time Sean Kugler non-fan. Of all my issues with Kugler, past and present, I think his handling of the Jones kid this far in his career has been borderline criminal. Preseason, UTEP had one name - ONE - on its 85 man roster that scared an opponent. Kugler killed his golden goose through overuse and misuse. Ever hear of less is better? I'll explain in a moment, but let me first address a couple of your "facts".

First, Jones was hurt late in the second quarter with UTEP down by 3 scores at Tech. UTEP was not going to win this body-bag game if Jones ran for 400 yards, what a great opportunity to get some snaps for younger RBs. But no, it's national TV, great time for Kugler to showcase his golden goose. Second, as DAVDEV pointed out earlier, Jones had 41 touches in less than 6 quarters when he was injured, a prorated average of almost 28 touches per game. 28!. Average of seven touches per quarter! That would be a load for Earl Campbell, much less a 5'10 185 lb kid with a documented injury history who Kugler often sees fit to run between the tackles. Why? First, because he was good, real good. Second, Kugler had a certain mindset about offense (and a lot of other things) that he simply wasn't/ins'nt going to change. Third, and most prominent, Kugler wanted to make Jones the El Paso face of the UTEP football program. Time and again, several posters on this board warned about the risk of overusing Jones. And here we are.

In addition to Jones AGAIN being lost for a season, what was lost on so many was how bad Kugler's overuse of Jones retarded the growth on so many levels of this football team. You're seeing it all play out right now. Passing game not developed, Oline pass protection not developed, wide receivers (already a question mark) not developed, young running backs not developed, playing a QB this year who should have been red-shirted (familiar story?), and QBs (again, already a question mark) not being fully developed. And here we are.

Less is better? When you have exactly one - ONE - weapon that anybody fears, do NOT use him 28 times a game. You occasionally use him as a decoy. Cuts down on his wear and tear, develops other players, and diversifies your offense. Remember, Kugler has not exactly recruited a boatload of talent, you gotta coach 'em up and give 'em a chance to develop. But no. And here we are.

Bottom line, IMO Kugler's overuse of Jones has jeopardized the career of one of the best football talents this program has seen in years. Over the next seven games, we'll find out if this is guy's got a coaching bone in his body, cause this season is on the verge of a full blown mess, if it's not already.

Disagree if you must, but back it up...

I disagree. Kugler is the best coach in America. A few weeks ago he was the 5th best coach in the country and now all you city slickers think he is no bueno. He's out there recruiting the best El Paso has to offer. People in Alpine and Sul Ross St would have wanted to see Aaron Jones run 50 times a game vs the best the state has to offer.

On so many levels, I could not agree less with your post. Qualifier: I am an admitted, vetted, long-time Sean Kugler non-fan. Of all my issues with Kugler, past and present, I think his handling of the Jones kid this far in his career has been borderline criminal. Preseason, UTEP had one name - ONE - on its 85 man roster that scared an opponent. Kugler killed his golden goose through overuse and misuse. Ever hear of less is better? I'll explain in a moment, but let me first address a couple of your "facts".

First, Jones was hurt late in the second quarter with UTEP down by 3 scores at Tech. UTEP was not going to win this body-bag game if Jones ran for 400 yards, what a great opportunity to get some snaps for younger RBs. But no, it's national TV, great time for Kugler to showcase his golden goose. Second, as DAVDEV pointed out earlier, Jones had 41 touches in less than 6 quarters when he was injured, a prorated average of almost 28 touches per game. 28!. Average of seven touches per quarter! That would be a load for Earl Campbell, much less a 5'10 185 lb kid with a documented injury history who Kugler often sees fit to run between the tackles. Why? First, because he was good, real good. Second, Kugler had a certain mindset about offense (and a lot of other things) that he simply wasn't/ins'nt going to change. Third, and most prominent, Kugler wanted to make Jones the El Paso face of the UTEP football program. Time and again, several posters on this board warned about the risk of overusing Jones. And here we are.

In addition to Jones AGAIN being lost for a season, what was lost on so many was how bad Kugler's overuse of Jones retarded the growth on so many levels of this football team. You're seeing it all play out right now. Passing game not developed, Oline pass protection not developed, wide receivers (already a question mark) not developed, young running backs not developed, playing a QB this year who should have been red-shirted (familiar story?), and QBs (again, already a question mark) not being fully developed. And here we are.

Less is better? When you have exactly one - ONE - weapon that anybody fears, do NOT use him 28 times a game. You occasionally use him as a decoy. Cuts down on his wear and tear, develops other players, and diversifies your offense. Remember, Kugler has not exactly recruited a boatload of talent, you gotta coach 'em up and give 'em a chance to develop. But no. And here we are.

Bottom line, IMO Kugler's overuse of Jones has jeopardized the career of one of the best football talents this program has seen in years. Over the next seven games, we'll find out if this is guy's got a coaching bone in his body, cause this season is on the verge of a full blown mess, if it's not already.

Disagree if you must, but back it up...
When Jones was injured UTEP was down 2 scores, 31-17. UTEP's plan at that point was apparently to grind out the clock so that they remained only 2 scores down at the half. Jones was injured, UTEP didn't make the first down and Tech scored one more td before the half to lead by 3 scores. Jones has been over used and the offense has been too vanilla.

I disagree about recievers not being developed. I think White, Batson, Golden and Plinke are the best group of skill posistion players we've had in years. I hope are qb play improves so we can take advantage of their talent. Bottom line if we dont get better play at qb we wont win.

As for Jones, he got 32 carries he wasnt over used. I think knowing Jones durability issues it was a huge mistake not to groom another back. They need to play Hughes. Everybody is sensitive because jones is a local kid. He's a great guy but his lack of durability will keep him out of the league. He reminds me of Buckram, though i think Buckram was a better back unfortunately injuries derailed both their careers.

Totally agree on wasting Johnson's redshirt. Those wildcat sets lack imagination or creativity. They burned his redshirt for nothing. Now we have bigger issues at qb. You gotta figure Simpson will transfer. That leaves Johnson and Metz who are both freshman because metz grayshirted and redshirted. They're in the same class at the same posistion so you figure one of them will transfer. We need a jc qb next year. If we lose next week and this season becomes a dumpster fire it may be time to put Johnson behind center to see what he can do.

@Minerforlife, generally agree with your post, excepting the comment about Jones. Kid's in his third year, he's played one full season. And show me another featured back in college football today not from LSU averaging 28 touches per game...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT