ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl renovations

Vanderbilt University this week unveiled new sensory rooms at Memorial Gymnasium and FirstBank Stadium, the first Southeastern Conference venues to offer the accommodations.

“I am proud that Vanderbilt leads the way in creating a sensory-inclusive experience for everyone attending games and events in FirstBank Stadium, Hawkins Field and Memorial Gymnasium,” said Vanderbilt vice chancellor for athletics and university affairs and athletic director Candice Storey Lee in a statement. “Commodore Nation is strongest together, as a community that welcomes all and benefits from the diversity of our experiences. Coming together to watch Commodores compete for championships is the ultimate shared memory, and I’m grateful to Shan Foster and KultureCity for helping us to ensure all fans feel welcome and supported when they visit.”
An estimated one in six people in the United States have sensory processing needs. Examples of fellow community members who may experience sensory challenges include individuals with autism, chronic pain disorders, sensory processing disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder. Sensory sensitivities or challenges with sensory regulation can be aggravated by the overstimulation and noise frequently found at sporting events, making it difficult for these fans and their friends and family members to participate in communal experiences.
Designed by medical professionals, sensory rooms like those available in Memorial Gymnasium and FirstBank Stadium provide a quiet and safe environment for those in need. Vanderbilt’s sensory rooms will feature bean bags, light-up walls and cubes, activity panels, bubble walls and custom art pieces.

So, I heard UTEP is planning to do some upgrades to the Sun Bowl. The big master plan one is not going to happen, but there will some upgrades.

I'm not saying new lighting wouldn't be nice. Just curious... what's with your hard-on for stadium lights?
Keitha, you’re not new here, this is an equivalent to asking Hank Hill about propane!

High schools already have LED lighting, indoor bubble practice fields, etc. Hell, UT has drones making images in the air. Yet, fundraising king Senter can’t find the funds to pay for lighting!

Keitha, you’re not new here, this is an equivalent to asking Hank Hill about propane!

High schools already have LED lighting, indoor bubble practice fields, etc. Hell, UT has drones making images in the air. Yet, fundraising king Senter can’t find the funds to pay for lighting!

Its about improving the Game Day Experience for Fans and Players. There is a Laundry List of needs, but it seems like LED Lights wouldn't be too expensive.

Its about improving the Game Day Experience for Fans and Players. There is a Laundry List of needs, but it seems like LED Lights wouldn't be too expensive.
I don't remember ever being at a night game in the Sun Bowl and thinking there was something wrong with the lighting.

If there's a benefit to LED lighting, I would think maybe it has to do with being energy-efficient. So, maybe over the long-term, UTEP could save on energy costs by switching to LED lighting (how long, if ever, would it take for LED lights to pay for themselves after making the switch?).

Maybe UTEP could make an appeal to the liberals in Austin to pay for the LED lighting because it would reduce the UT system's carbon footprint on the planet erf or something.

But I don't remember ever going to a night game and thinking that I wasn't able to see what's happening on the field due to the lack of LED lighting. Other than the environmental impact, I'm not sure why they would be a priority.

Last edited:
Aside from energy costs, and I am not sure what the savings would be, I believe LED lights can be programmed and turned off and on easily. The lights at the Sun Bowl and DHC take several minutes to turn on. That is why the basketball team doesn’t have a “cool” introduction like the Chicago Bulls or whatever.

I’m not going to pay extra for a pretty light show. Who cares? Just another reason for Senter to jack up prices and not give us winning programs.

I may be wrong, but I thought you don’t go to the games. Maybe I am just getting senile in my old age.

Reactions: EPUTEP
Aside from energy costs, and I am not sure what the savings would be, I believe LED lights can be programmed and turned off and on easily. The lights at the Sun Bowl and DHC take several minutes to turn on. That is why the basketball team doesn’t have a “cool” introduction like the Chicago Bulls or whatever.

I’m not going to pay extra for a pretty light show. Who cares? Just another reason for Senter to jack up prices and not give us winning programs.
How are you going to get "winning programs" without upgrading the facilities? The lack of upgrades over the years has hurt UTEP over the years. The installation of LED lighting may not seem like a big deal, it would help with the finances. Consider the following with the four light poles at Sun Bowl: the two that are on the east end have 8 rows with 8 lights= 64x2= 128 metal halide lights. The press box side have 8 rows with 6 lights-48x2= 96 metal halide lights. It would be a great recruiting tool for the student recruits and for coaches as well.
If UTEP wanted to upgrade its field lighting, they could start with the soccer and softball fields with the season over for one while the other has until the end of the year. It would be easier to replace the poles there than the Sun Bowl because the they are situated. The athletic department could always go the Oklahoma route and retro fit (same poles with less lights).
Four rows x 8 LED= 32?
Four rows x 6 LED= 24?

I may be wrong, but I thought you don’t go to the games. Maybe I am just getting senile in my old age.

You're not wrong. He doesn't go to the games, but complains about everything involving UTEP. He lives a miserable life and probably never attended UTEP.

Unless @Dmanminer and I are wrong, I believe you stated you don't go to any games.
When did I previously state that I don’t go to “any games”?

My attendance falls inline with how the team is doing. I will attend at least 1 basketball game this year. Maybe more, could be zero. You would have no way of telling if that is true or not.

When did I previously state that I don’t go to “any games”?

My attendance falls inline with how the team is doing. I will attend at least 1 basketball game this year. Maybe more, could be zero. You would have no way of telling if that is true or not.

You mentioned it previously during the season. That's why @Dmanminer stated the same thing.

Ok, you're a bandwagon fan. Got it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT