ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
40k in attendance?

Glorious day — pictures on TV should be good.

NC ST is a very underrated team. Had bad losses to the Irish, and South Carolina but gave Clemson all they could handle. Fun team to watch when they are clicking offensively.

Their D is pretty salty, too.

Second year n a row an NFL prospect skips out on the game.
his team, and defensive unit seems to be just fine without him. Can't knock a kid who is trying to help his family by knowing he was bigger and better things ahead in the NFL. Too much of a risk to play in a low level bowl game when you're a first round type talent in my opinion.

I don’t remember his name and I’m too lazy to look it up. What happened with the kid who skipped out last year? Did his draft stock go up, down, or stayed the same?

Second year n a row an NFL prospect skips out on the game.
Unfortunately that is a trend that will continue to happen with the smaller bowls like the Sun Bowl. While I understand his reasoning, Sun Bowl fans will not be able to see a top NFL prospect play in his last college game.

I don’t think anyone here cares — it’s a game, party, beautiful day.

Damn doesn’t look good. Earlier I asked which bowl would have a larger attendance and I think we will be on the losing end.

Anyone else hear Frank Ray's rendition of the National Anthem. Maybe it was just me but it sounded like he screwed it up big time. The attendance for the Sun Bowl has also steadily declined over the last few years including this one and the weather was perfect. Not having Khalid as the Halftime performance was also a missed opportunity considering the year he has had. I think it's time for Bernie Olivas to move aside and let someone else take the reigns.

Anyone else hear Frank Ray's rendition of the National Anthem. Maybe it was just me but it sounded like he screwed it up big time. The attendance for the Sun Bowl has also steadily declined over the last few years including this one and the weather was perfect. Not having Khalid as the Halftime performance was also a missed opportunity considering the year he has had. I think it's time for Bernie Olivas to move aside and let someone else take the reigns.

Did you go to the game today?

Gee, I wonder why? Maybe because Frank Ray is the halftime show and the Committee has the "stupid El Paso will go anyway mentality"

More and more consumers are not going anymore, just "to go". It's not 1975.

Reactions: Nugget 07

Imagine if @UTEPATHLETICS ever upgrades the Sun Bowl?

This is one upgrade that should be done over the off-season in 2018:
put up a net at least on the north end of the stadium.
#liability

Imagine if @UTEPATHLETICS ever upgrades the Sun Bowl?

This is one upgrade that should be done over the off-season in 2018:
put up a net at least on the north end of the stadium.
#liability
For the life of me I don't why UTEP will not do that? Would Mr. Joe El Paso give up his Bud Light? Heck no! Then tell mijo and mija to give them back their football. It's theirs!

Frank Ray is a good singer. Too bad he messed up. I agree that it was a HUGE missed opportunity with Khalid. Anyone think he wouldn't have jumped at the chance to rep El Paso again?

This all falls back to Bernie. About a month or so ago, I was trashing Bernie and how he needs to go. I stick by that. Bernie will NEVER step aside. Why should he? He, AND HIS ENTIRE FAMILY, get to travel across the country for FREE to do a job most could sit in a cubicle in durangarito and do. He goes on Steve's show about a month or so before the selections and gives out possibilities. Hell, even shovel or trip 7s could do that.
It's under his poor leadership that our halftime shows are crap. How about the lack of promotion of the game itself? I personally haven't really cared for the game, but I have many friends that typically go. They didn't this year.
Furthermore, since the basketball tournament is tied to the sun bowl, we can blame him for the crap teams there as well.

If there was a CEO of the Sun Bowl association, he should fire Bernie. It's probably Dr. Nats.....that's the luck we have...

Frank Ray is a good singer. Too bad he messed up. I agree that it was a HUGE missed opportunity with Khalid. Anyone think he wouldn't have jumped at the chance to rep El Paso again?

This all falls back to Bernie. About a month or so ago, I was trashing Bernie and how he needs to go. I stick by that. Bernie will NEVER step aside. Why should he? He, AND HIS ENTIRE FAMILY, get to travel across the country for FREE to do a job most could sit in a cubicle in durangarito and do. He goes on Steve's show about a month or so before the selections and gives out possibilities. Hell, even shovel or trip 7s could do that.
It's under his poor leadership that our halftime shows are crap. How about the lack of promotion of the game itself? I personally haven't really cared for the game, but I have many friends that typically go. They didn't this year.
Furthermore, since the basketball tournament is tied to the sun bowl, we can blame him for the crap teams there as well.

If there was a CEO of the Sun Bowl association, he should fire Bernie. It's probably Dr. Nats.....that's the luck we have...

Goes back to the old, unofficial EP motto, "Yeah, it's good enough for us, why expect more?"

Actually, Bernie goes on SportsTalk every week and throws out possibilities for like a whole hour of the show. You're right, why would he quit? He knows 35,000 people are going to show up no matter who the halftime performer is and no matter how far the Bowl drops in the conference pecking order,

Countless bowls have passed the Sun Bowl and don't have the "great" CBS contract we have. Maybe if EP gave Bernie and the SB the middle finger one year, things would change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT