ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Prediction's

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
So after the first week, we got to see both teams and I must say, Utep looks improved, but Texas looks like Texas of old. So with that said....
Utep can't turn it over, must control the clock and get some breaks just to beat the spread. I think they keep it Semi Respectable. I wasn't overly impressed with Texas Secondary, Utep needs to take advantage of that and I think pass to set up the run.
Final Score
Longhorns 52
Utep 24

UTEP 27
UT 48

If UTEP can control the clock it will be closer.
ND missed some key tackles that could have changed
the outcome of that game...

We looked damn good on Saturday and put NMSU away by the half, but UT freshman qb looked awesome and our secondary still gets burned too many times.

UT 54
UTEP 23

Texas Austin 41
Texas El Paso 42

Kavika Johnson: 2 passing TDs, 2 rushing TDs
Aaron Jones: 2 TDs

TX started -26, now -28.5

If you are heading to DKR/ Texas Memorial Stadium on Saturday, weather.com game day forecast says:
Day: 89°, 80% chance of rain
Night: 71°, 50% chance of rain
Very humid as well, dewpoint in 70s= pedialyte, pickle juice, water

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_is_dewpoint_temperature.htm

As for the 500 ticket thing, most UTEP fans are savvy to purchasing tickets on-line without going thru their university. Cost is always too high and location not the best. I expect 5k to 6k Miner fans unless LH fans purchased all of them due to the big win over ND. The place holds 100k and the LH's did not sell out once last year. Their biggest crowd LY was 94k vs TT. Probably lots of Tech fans made the trip for that one.

UTEP - 21
UT - 48

I think the Miner D will hold UT to fewer points than ND's defense did. However, our offense is not even close to being on par with a ND offense that couldn't match Texas. They'll double up on us, + a few, is my guess.

I'm just saying if you remove any chance of being balanced, horns can load up the box, therefore killing any chance we have of being respectable.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I'm just saying if you remove any chance of being balanced, horns can load up the box, therefore killing any chance we have of being respectable.
I agree, passing will be down, but Kavika can and will pass, hopefully accurately though. He'll also run and take presaue off Jones

Forget about the prediction, I just want Jones to come out of the game in 1 piece and hopefully we go into Army relatively healthy.

I am a Horns fans (just checking in on what the Miner folks are thinking), but will be watching UTEP the next two weeks, as I graduated from Army. Its been a while since Army has had a competitive football team, so I'm interested to see how we hold up. I think UTEP's line is going to give Army fits, and present a challenge to Texas, too. It will be very interesting to see how your running game fares the next two weeks.

El Paso fans have always been gracious and classy. Hope any of y'all coming up to Austin have a good weekend!

Army game is going to be a hard fought battle. After what the USMA did to Temple on opening day - the Miners will have to be perfect for a second straight week just to be in the game.
Option football is going to give the Miner defense fits; discipline will have to be at a premium for the Miners to attain success.

Last edited:
Orangebloods staff predictions:

Alex Dunlap

Thirty-one points is too big a spread when considering the Longhorns are a young and inexperienced team facing a UTEP squad not completely devoid of weapons. Texas will get young players involved often which could lead to a few opportunities for Aaron Jones to scamper into space behind a big-bodied (if nothing else) Miners OL. Texas rolls, but not quite by 31.

Texas 52 - UTEP 27

Geoff Ketchum

I'm absolutely fascinated by this game because I want to see if Texas regresses to the mean or plays at a level that was worthy of a No. 11 ranking. It only took a game, but I'm a believer in this offense and I'm left wondering what to make of this Texas defense. Does it take a big step forward or are we going to be left wondering if Texas can win coin-flip shootouts each week? I kind of feel like we'll get an idea based on how they handle a UTEP team that scored 38 points in its opener and has the ability to score multiple touchdowns on Saturday. The line has Texas favored by 30 and I'm hovering right at the number, but a little under.

Texas 38 - UTEP 10

Dustin McComas

With its performance against Notre Dame, Texas looked like a nine-, maybe even a 10-win team. What does that kind of team do against UTEP? It opens up a 40-point lead, and the second-team players start to get a bunch of snaps beginning late in the third quarter.

Last season, FooballOutsiders.com's F/+ overall ranks placed UTEP as the No. 125, out of 128, team in the country (in case you're wondering, the New Mexico State team UTEP beat to open the 2016 season rated 118th in 2015). The only thing that stands in Texas' way this game is Texas.

How will a young Longhorn team respond to the kind of success and belief its never really felt before? We'll see. Texas might be slow out of the gates, but this truly is a game it should win in blowout fashion.

Texas 61 - UTEP 19

Anwar Richardson

Anybody trying to sell me on UTEP being a team that might be able to hang with Texas is just trying to add some sort of dramatic hook for this game. Texas has more athletes and is a superior team. Time will tell if Texas is really the 11th ranked team in the country, but for now, they should be 10 times better than UTEP.

Texas 48 - UTEP 20

Jason Suchomel

I thought UTEP had a chance to move the ball reasonably well before its QB was declared out for this game. Now the Longhorns should be able to just sell out against the run and shut the Miners down.

This one should be an easy win. The most interesting element, for me, will be to watch if Shane Buechele can build off his performance against Notre Dame.

Texas 52 - UTEP 17

How can you argue against the observations of these scribes? Very valid comments.

Oh well, stock up on the snacks and your favorite krausened or fermented or distilled beverage(s) sit back and enjoy...or not.

Orangebloods staff predictions:

Alex Dunlap

Thirty-one points is too big a spread when considering the Longhorns are a young and inexperienced team facing a UTEP squad not completely devoid of weapons. Texas will get young players involved often which could lead to a few opportunities for Aaron Jones to scamper into space behind a big-bodied (if nothing else) Miners OL. Texas rolls, but not quite by 31.

Texas 52 - UTEP 27

Geoff Ketchum

I'm absolutely fascinated by this game because I want to see if Texas regresses to the mean or plays at a level that was worthy of a No. 11 ranking. It only took a game, but I'm a believer in this offense and I'm left wondering what to make of this Texas defense. Does it take a big step forward or are we going to be left wondering if Texas can win coin-flip shootouts each week? I kind of feel like we'll get an idea based on how they handle a UTEP team that scored 38 points in its opener and has the ability to score multiple touchdowns on Saturday. The line has Texas favored by 30 and I'm hovering right at the number, but a little under.

Texas 38 - UTEP 10

Dustin McComas

With its performance against Notre Dame, Texas looked like a nine-, maybe even a 10-win team. What does that kind of team do against UTEP? It opens up a 40-point lead, and the second-team players start to get a bunch of snaps beginning late in the third quarter.

Last season, FooballOutsiders.com's F/+ overall ranks placed UTEP as the No. 125, out of 128, team in the country (in case you're wondering, the New Mexico State team UTEP beat to open the 2016 season rated 118th in 2015). The only thing that stands in Texas' way this game is Texas.

How will a young Longhorn team respond to the kind of success and belief its never really felt before? We'll see. Texas might be slow out of the gates, but this truly is a game it should win in blowout fashion.

Texas 61 - UTEP 19

Anwar Richardson

Anybody trying to sell me on UTEP being a team that might be able to hang with Texas is just trying to add some sort of dramatic hook for this game. Texas has more athletes and is a superior team. Time will tell if Texas is really the 11th ranked team in the country, but for now, they should be 10 times better than UTEP.

Texas 48 - UTEP 20

Jason Suchomel

I thought UTEP had a chance to move the ball reasonably well before its QB was declared out for this game. Now the Longhorns should be able to just sell out against the run and shut the Miners down.

This one should be an easy win. The most interesting element, for me, will be to watch if Shane Buechele can build off his performance against Notre Dame.

Texas 52 - UTEP 17
I'm ok with most of em except Dustin Mc Comas. That was a lazy mis informed evaluation. Utep is expected by everyone to be much improved, so what does last year have to do with anything especially in a year devastated by injuries. Does Texas last year, matter that they are improved this year? Obviously not, so that prediction and his basis was idiotic!

I agree, passing will be down, but Kavika can and will pass, hopefully accurately though. He'll also run and take presaue off Jones

So Kavika can and will pass.....42 yards....In addition, he ran almost as much as he passed....FOR NEGATIVE yards...

He should not be our quarterback. Then again, we don't have good options.....

Reactions: MinerFreak279
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT