ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech Prediction Thread

Dec 22, 2016
Miners opened as heavy dogs as they should, Texas Tech might f around and score 60, our linebacker depth already took a hit, but let’s hope the offense keeps improving.

Lubbock Tech 62

UTEP 31

Reactions: Kellerfox
I'm not on this one but Tech will win. Both secondaries got torched but Montana State QB was not accurate but got a little more comfy in second quarter and picked TT secondary at times like a surgeon. Tech's running game looked top tier due to Montana State horrid tackling and not plugging up holes.

Dimel needs to watch the 2009 win over Houston for inspiration because Tech runs the same thing. Houston was #12 but Buckram ran like a mad man and UTEP bent back but didn't break.

This is the best time to beat Tech. They'll get points and yardage but Hughes and new WR's need to deliver like they did on Saturday. They have no one that matches Wolf's speed and those diving catches saved drives.

I don't know what kind of offense Tech runs now since coach bro isn't there any longer, but just going by how our defense looked against HBU my guess would be:

Tech 66
UTEP 20

UTEP 41 TT 38

giphy.gif

We need to run the ball left, right and down their throats while Wolf and Cooper keep them honest. Jones needs to hit Cowing and Dawn quickly so they don't get hung out to dry. Tressel could have a big game if Canales utilizes him. We finally have a few weapons on offense.

Our defense needs some big turnovers to keep it close and put pressure on Tech. If they go up tempo, wear out our DL and get a 2-3 score lead early its gonna be a loooong night.

52-24 Tech

I don't know what kind of offense Tech runs now since coach bro isn't there any longer, but just going by how our defense looked against HBU my guess would be:

Tech 66
UTEP 20
Same offense. Only difference is their qb literally throws this gunslinger quick toss they ran several times against Montana State. (He literally throws it under the incoming DE's arms).

I actually like UTEP's chances only if their secondary shows improvement. If not, UTEP will get torched.

My initial thought is TT 49 - 17. But I would like to convince myself things are changing and the days of getting blown out are fading away.

TT 42
UTEP 24

Same offense. Only difference is their qb literally throws this gunslinger quick toss they ran several times against Montana State. (He literally throws it under the incoming DE's arms).

I actually like UTEP's chances only if their secondary shows improvement. If not, UTEP will get torched.
So D-line needs to keep their hands down after initial burst?

Darn it, no bulletin board material as Wells took the high road and was extremely complimentary towards UTEP and how he knew the UTEP staff "very well" and he, Dimel, Canales and Cox go way back. Cox coached Wells in college. This is probably the best time for UTEP to pull off a much needed huge upset. Both defenses for both teams need a lot of work, especially the secondary as both got smoked in the air by FCS schools. I can't blame the odds makers for the huge margin because UTEP needs to prove it's better than that and they didn't against HBU. Saturday is the day to do it against an old Borderland Conference foe. Dimel, local EP media and players say this team is much, much better than a year ago. As they say in Missouri, "Show me".

"LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - The Red Raiders are coming off of their first win in the Matt Wells era, and are now set to host the UTEP Miners in a night game at the Jones.

So, let's get to know the foe...

In UTEP's first game against Houston Baptist, the game was too close for comfort.

But, close only counts in horseshoes, as the Miners beat the Huskies 36-34 to pick up their first win at the Sun Bowl since Nov. 26, 2016.

Here is coach Wells early break down of the UTEP Miners, "UTEP has a coaching staff that's very veteran, some that I am very familiar with. Dana Dimel is a veteran coach that is a very good football coach, has hired very good guys around him. All three coordinators I know. Joe Rob used to be here at Texas Tech, veteran special teams guy, highly thought of around the country. Chico Canales, a good friend of mine, former Utah State quarterback, known him forever. Has done a phenomenal job throughout his career coordinating offenses, getting quarterbacks ready to play. He will no doubt have those guys ready to play. Mike Cox, veteran defensive coordinator. Coach Cox was at Utah State when I played as a junior and senior. I'm very familiar with all of them. Keith Burns, I worked for him for one year. Those guys are veterans. They'll have their guys ready to play. They're well-coached. That's a good staff Coach Dimel has put together at UTEP. Very early in the week. The analysis of them right now, really good back, 19 is a good back. Could have either one of two quarterbacks which are dual-threat guys. Very big up front on the offensive line. They're very big on the D-line up the middle. Three guys right at 300 pounds. In terms of their front seven on the defense, I think both safeties are really good players. They can come off the hash and put their hat on guys. I think they tackle well."

Heading into this game, the Miners will look to dominate in the trenches.

Last week, running back Treyvon Hughes rushed 23 times for a career-high 144 yards and two touchdowns, and UTEP pounded out 240 yards on the ground.

Their starting quarterback is Brandon Jones.

Last week, Jones threw for 268 yards, one touchdown, and one interception with a QBR ranking of 34.6 (which is good for 94th in college football).

On the defensive side of the ball, UTEP gave up 413 yards of total offense to Houston Baptist - where according to coach Wells, he sees a lot of his defense in the Miners.

"Their defensive line is big, thick, physical. Can we move them inside? Their safeties, I think they're really good up the middle. The backers, inside interior O-line, that's how you build a defense inside-out. I'd like to think the same thing about our defense. Broderick, Nick, Jordyn, Rico, Frye, Coleman. I see UTEP is being built the same way. Their players up the middle are very good and very talented. "

Texas Tech enters the game as a 34.5-point favorite, and the ESPN Power Index gives the Red Raiders a 98.1-percent chance to win.

Copyright 2019 KCBD. All rights reserved."

Darn it, no bulletin board material as Wells took the high road and was extremely complimentary towards UTEP and how he knew the UTEP staff "very well" and he, Dimel, Canales and Cox go way back. Cox coached Wells in college. This is probably the best time for UTEP to pull off a much needed huge upset. Both defenses for both teams need a lot of work, especially the secondary as both got smoked in the air by FCS schools. I can't blame the odds makers for the huge margin because UTEP needs to prove it's better than that and they didn't against HBU. Saturday is the day to do it against an old Borderland Conference foe. Dimel, local EP media and players say this team is much, much better than a year ago. As they say in Missouri, "Show me".

"LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - The Red Raiders are coming off of their first win in the Matt Wells era, and are now set to host the UTEP Miners in a night game at the Jones.

In UTEP's first game against Houston Baptist, the game was too close for comfort.

But, close only counts in horseshoes, as the Miners beat the Huskies 36-34 to pick up their first win at the Sun Bowl since Nov. 26, 2016.

Here is coach Wells early break down of the UTEP Miners, "UTEP has a coaching staff that's very veteran, some that I am very familiar with. Dana Dimel is a veteran coach that is a very good football coach, has hired very good guys around him. All three coordinators I know. Joe Rob used to be here at Texas Tech, veteran special teams guy, highly thought of around the country. Chico Canales, a good friend of mine, former Utah State quarterback, known him forever. Has done a phenomenal job throughout his career coordinating offenses, getting quarterbacks ready to play. He will no doubt have those guys ready to play. Mike Cox, veteran defensive coordinator. Coach Cox was at Utah State when I played as a junior and senior. I'm very familiar with all of them. Keith Burns, I worked for him for one year. Those guys are veterans. They'll have their guys ready to play. They're well-coached. That's a good staff Coach Dimel has put together at UTEP. Very early in the week. The analysis of them right now, really good back, 19 is a good back. Could have either one of two quarterbacks which are dual-threat guys. Very big up front on the offensive line. They're very big on the D-line up the middle. Three guys right at 300 pounds. In terms of their front seven on the defense, I think both safeties are really good players. They can come off the hash and put their hat on guys. I think they tackle well."

Last week, running back Treyvon Hughes rushed 23 times for a career-high 144 yards and two touchdowns, and UTEP pounded out 240 yards on the ground.

Last week, Jones threw for 268 yards, one touchdown, and one interception with a QBR ranking of 34.6 (which is good for 94th in college football).

On the defensive side of the ball, UTEP gave up 413 yards of total offense to Houston Baptist - where according to coach Wells, he sees a lot of his defense in the Miners.

"Their defensive line is big, thick, physical. Can we move them inside? Their safeties, I think they're really good up the middle. The backers, inside interior O-line, that's how you build a defense inside-out. I'd like to think the same thing about our defense. Broderick, Nick, Jordyn, Rico, Frye, Coleman. I see UTEP is being built the same way. Their players up the middle are very good and very talented. "

Texas Tech enters the game as a 34.5-point favorite, and the ESPN Power Index gives the Red Raiders a 98.1-percent chance to win.

We have no weaknesses!

Reactions: Dmanminer
Tech's secondary got "smoked" by MSU? We gave up 12 completions for 162 yards. MSU ended up with 289 total yards. We had 691. Not bragging. All Tech did was what was expected for that level of competition. You could even make the argument that we under performed in some areas

I'm not even saying we are going to "smoke" UTEP. Truth is, there is a reason you play the games. I have watched the game a couple of times now, and I didn't see us get anywhere near "smoked" at anything.

Last edited:
I think Utep will move the ball, but have trouble in the red zone and wont stop Texas Tech for the most part, but if we don't turn it over we stay within 24 so I'd say
TT 52
Utep 31

This is coach’s talk. He reminds me of Coach Haskins who was very complimentary of the opponents and very critical of his own team.

Reactions: minerfan_14
The bad is that since 2015 we’ve only won 11 games.

The good is that only one of those wins didn’t come against a team from Texas or New Mexico.

64-10 TTU...this is not going to be our year. Dimel needs one more recruiting class/ year of Kuglers kids to leave before we are watchable.

Reactions: minerfan_14
64-10 TTU...this is not going to be our year. Dimel needs one more recruiting class/ year of Kuglers kids to leave before we are watchable.
I wonder how many of Kugler’s recruits are still on the roster.

If you just count jrs and seniors (since Dimel has been here for two years), then 48. Red shirts were included and may skew the numbers (same with transfers)...maybe 40?
Wow! I didn’t know it was that many. I was thinking less than 20-25.

Wow! I didn’t know it was that many. I was thinking less than 20-25.
Yeah. Again, my numbers could be off since that was a simple count. This is why I am okay with giving football coaches 3-4 years to change the program based on getting “his” players in

Reactions: WestTx12
I count 46 players on the current roster that were brought in by Kugler.

I count 45 on the current roster, plus Josh Fields who is not listed, which would bring the total number up to 46.

https://utepminers.com/roster.aspx?roster=1146&path=football

Also of note, UTEP signed six 3-star high school recruits this past year(according to 247sports) and none of them played in the first game. The majority of freshman were redshirted last year and I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of this year's freshman get redshirted as well.

Last edited:

I count 45 on the current roster, plus Josh Fields who is not listed, which would bring the total number up to 46.

Also of note, UTEP signed six 3-star high school recruits this past year(according to 247sports) and none of them played in the first game. The majority of freshman were redshirted last year and I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of this year's freshman get redshirted as well.
No true freshmen starters and none on the 2-deep is a first for UTEP in the last 10 years. we usually start a bunch.

I believe that Jacob Cowing and our starting Deep Snapper(Tanner Boston) are the only two true freshmen that played on Saturday. Cowing was only listed as a 2 star, but had some top level interest at one point. I watched Boston and he did well and only had one poor snap which didn't hurt us(a low snap on an extra point).

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I believe that Jacob Cowing and our starting Deep Snapper(Tanner Boston) are the only two true freshmen that played on Saturday. Cowing was only listed as a 2 star, but had some top level interest at one point. I watched Boston and he did well and only had one poor snap which didn't hurt us(a low snap on an extra point).
I don't recognize 'deep snappers' and Cowings must be great to be on the 2-deep considering the depth and talent at the WR spot this year. BTW, how about those receivers. Actually making plays. If I'm Dimel I'm telling the QB just put it out there for them.

I don’t see Andrew Nwachukwu on the roster. Do you know what happened to him? I thought he was a nice grab last recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT