ADVERTISEMENT

Texas vs. ND: What's best for UTEP?

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
If ND destroys Texas, maybe that will demoralize Texas and give UTEP some confidence going into the game that they stand a chance. On the other hand, Texas might go into the UTEP game angry and determined to take it out on the Miners. Are the Miners up for the challenge?

Or is it better for UTEP that Texas pulls off the upset? Maybe Texas would have a letdown against UTEP after coming off such a huge win.

It's better if Texas has an easy blow out win over ND. That way, they're over-confident and possibly looking at UTEP as a cake walk, and on to their next game, which will be a tough road game versus Cal.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
If ND destroys Texas, maybe that will demoralize Texas and give UTEP some confidence going into the game that they stand a chance. On the other hand, Texas might go into the UTEP game angry and determined to take it out on the Miners. Are the Miners up for the challenge?

Or is it better for UTEP that Texas pulls off the upset? Maybe Texas would have a letdown against UTEP after coming off such a huge win.

I've seen several on this forum, and others, who think that this is a good time to get UT. I strongly disagree. Texas is going to be good this year, despite playing a frosh qb a large portion of the time. They are still a year or two out from contending for the Big12 Championship, but I would bet they finish top 3.

I think our best bet is if UT beats an overrated ND team and just completely overlooks our Miners. Otherwise this one won't even be close, imo.

[
It's better if Texas has an easy blow out win over ND. That way, they're over-confident and possibly looking at UTEP as a cake walk, and on to their next game, which will be a tough road game versus Cal.

I would say something along the lines of how great minds think alike, but mine has taken many a weekend beat downs over the last 30 years. However, I fully agree with your statement.

Reactions: miner661
Best case: Texas beats ND in double OT. Sunday game. Less time to prepare. Texas gets sky hi buzz and their fans start talking about National Championship game opponent. then we control the clock in the game and it goes down to the fourth quarter and whoever is in better shape pulls it out in the final minutes.

We're getting Texas a year or two, too late. We have our best team in awhile, but they have their best team under Strong. They'll probably finish 8-4 or 9-3. Running game may keep it close and defense will keep score down. ND game won't make a difference, Texas will be ready to play and Strong will make sure they don't overlook us. He'll point out our size on offense and defense and not to take us lightly. Score won't be as bad as Vegas predicts

Final UT 38
Utep 17

Last edited:
Agree with nattbry 100%.

Hey life, you reading this? Now, UTEP's last outing in Austin WAS a major three alarm dumpster fire of epic proportions. UTEP got an early pic six by the only db to pick off Colt twice in his career (damn I forgot his name), but it got ugly and fast after that. That was a Mike Price cluster %^&! because UTEP appeared so disorganized. No one expected a UTEP win, however, no one expected a spanking of epic proportions like that, not even Brown who appeared more embarrassed from the score because he and Price are friends. But, what do you tell the third or fourth string? Take a knee even if is 2nd and inches?

However, I do feel and expect a learning lesson after going to KSU and Arkansas. UTEP is healthy, way more experienced and deep. The UTEP line is going to be a concern for every opponent this year. Most FBS schools, even major ones, would love to have a line like UTEP coming into a new season. But UT does have some receiving weapons that could smoke UTEP db's.

UTEP 24
Horns 40

Reactions: allminer
The whorns be very good in the future. However, in the present they have some major issues. They have suffered a huge amount of attrition along the offensive line Their oline is a huge point of of concern for them. They have a big question at qb. They have a highly touted talented true fteshman qb. However, he has been unable to this point to unseat Swoopes at qb. Swoopes has been terrible at qb. The qb situation is very worrying to their fans.

On defense the big question is can their defense stop the run. There is alot of doubt on Austin that the defense can stop the run. Our oline matches up well with their front.

I will have a better feel for both teams after i see the games this weekend.The Texas Notre Dame game is hard to handicap. Notre Dame has a ton of internal problems and distractions. Both teams will play two qbs. Its a hard game to read.

As for UTEP. I want to see them play with a little swagger. They need to come and out and dominate a team they should beat. Im very excited to see our new defense, especially the secondary. Baptizing those two young corners by fire last year, is going to pay huge dividends this year.

I didn't know about the O line problem.

The problem in Austin is reality versus perception. You are correct and that is where potential match up problems can happen for this game that will shock horn fans in the stands, especially along the line. One Horn fan site stated UTEP has one of the best O lines it will face all of this year and Strong should take advantage and build on the experience. With them, that will go out one ear and out the other. They just want another 64-7 beat down. With Kug, the O line is where it all starts.

One thing not mentioned but may be later within two weeks is local El Paso players on the Miner roster who want to show that EP football has arrived and can play at the highest level in the country and I don't mean the one or two stars who make it to that level every few years. Kugler thinks many El Paso recruits can play FBS football. We will see in two weeks.

Reactions: Minerforlife
I didn't know about the O line problem.

The problem in Austin is reality versus perception. You are correct and that is where potential match up problems can happen for this game that will shock horn fans in the stands, especially along the line. One Horn fan site stated UTEP has one of the best O lines it will face all of this year and Strong should take advantage and build on the experience. With them, that will go out one ear and out the other. They just want another 64-7 beat down. With Kug, the O line is where it all starts.

One thing not mentioned but may be later within two weeks is local El Paso players on the Miner roster who want to show that EP football has arrived and can play at the highest level in the country and I don't mean the one or two stars who make it to that level every few years. Kugler thinks many El Paso recruits can play FBS football. We will see in two weeks.

If Texas loses to Notre Dame, things on Austin will get real ugly real fast for Strong. There will be blood in the water. Alumns will be calling for strong's head. There will be a flood of negative media stories. The media will paint it as the beginning of the end for strong and start speculating on his replacement. There would be a tremendous amount noise and negativity around the program. They play us on a short week it could be the perfect storm for the Miners.

Last edited:
If Texas loses to Notre Dame, things on Austin will get real ugly real fast for Strong. There will be blood in the water. Alumns will be calling for strong's head. There will be a flood of negative media stories. The media will paint it as the beginning of the end for strong and start speculating on his replacement. There would be a tremendous amount noise and negativity around the program. They play us on a short week it could be the perfect storm for the Miners.

Some of the big money wanted Strong gone immediately according to last years online publications. The OU and Baylor win kept the tide back tremendously. Win or loss to ND won't mean anything for the UTEP game. They are looking past UTEP as a "cooked, done...stick a fork in it, give some PT to the young guns" type of game. If UTEP makes it close and competitive, Strong will be the one cooked, done and with a fork in his side.

Either way, this is Kug's year to make his statement. Unlike Price who never got that marquee win during his tenure (and Lord knows he had his chances and blew it), Kugler promised mental and physical toughness that is needed late in the second half to win games, he now has his players to do it. UT and La Tech are as tough as it comes on this schedule.

Oops, that was a good win. How can I forget! There were two young cougar fans next to me at the Sun Bowl yelling and whooping and then towards the end were stunned. The look on their faces were priceless (no pun intended).

I'd take a close win over ND as the biggest benefit. A close win won't boost UT's confidence and may create a bit of leathargy with their coaching staff and players. A loss would accomplish this but a loss might force Strong to run up the score to prove (once again) that changes have been made over the previous season. I don't expect the miners to win, but I do expect them to show well. If we hang with them for 1 quarter only I think we are pretty average as a team and a 4-6 win season is in the offing, hang with them a half and we are likely bowl bound, hang with them until the 4th quarter and we may be pretty good. UT like all BCS teams have not only a talent differential over UTEP at almost every position they have depth at every position. If the Miners can score a one or two touchdowns, and hold UT to under 35 earned point via long drives, I will be happy. We give up long plays and have multiple turnovers, it's a signal to me that the same problems exist on this team as in years past. (poor team speed and tackling, average to poor play calling, and lack strength a key positions)

Texas will Pack the Box and dare us to throw. If we can't it'll be ugly if we can thing will open up and it could be interesting and make them sweat going into the 4th

Everyone will pack the box including NMSU on Saturday. Why should our opponents think otherwise? Kugler has been wanting to open up the slot receiver position but really hasn't shown anything special in spring or summer. I do expect UTEP to run the ball in Austin. UT is a deep threat now and showed it during the spring scrimmage. That's where I think they will kill UTEP.

This is a much improved Texas team. The Miners will have to play a near perfect game to keep up with this team.

Reactions: allminer
Agree with nattbry 100%.

Hey life, you reading this? Now, UTEP's last outing in Austin WAS a major three alarm dumpster fire of epic proportions. UTEP got an early pic six by the only db to pick off Colt twice in his career (damn I forgot his name), but it got ugly and fast after that. That was a Mike Price cluster %^&! because UTEP appeared so disorganized. No one expected a UTEP win, however, no one expected a spanking of epic proportions like that, not even Brown who appeared more embarrassed from the score because he and Price are friends. But, what do you tell the third or fourth string? Take a knee even if is 2nd and inches?

However, I do feel and expect a learning lesson after going to KSU and Arkansas. UTEP is healthy, way more experienced and deep. The UTEP line is going to be a concern for every opponent this year. Most FBS schools, even major ones, would love to have a line like UTEP coming into a new season. But UT does have some receiving weapons that could smoke UTEP db's.

UTEP 24
Horns 40
That Texas team went undefeated that season and played in the national championship game. You can't blame Price for that blowout. If that Texas team went 6-6 that season, then Price would have deserved criticism. This years Texas team is nowhere near that 2009 team. It would have been the same result if this years UTEP football played the 2009 Texas team.

If you had losing in a 173 overtime game that lasts until 3:00 am Tuesday morning.......

That Texas team went undefeated that season and played in the national championship game. You can't blame Price for that blowout. If that Texas team went 6-6 that season, then Price would have deserved criticism. This years Texas team is nowhere near that 2009 team. It would have been the same result if this years UTEP football played the 2009 Texas team.

They just beat a very good golden Homer team. ND running backs don't compare to Jones but UTEP is way to one dimensional. If UTEP looked more like WKU, then UTEP could make it interesting. UT is expecting a Rice type team, that is how I hope they come into it Saturday because both Rice and UTEP are going in opposite directions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT