ADVERTISEMENT

The day is here. Renovations to be announced on Friday

There are currently bowl games in the following stadiums and they aren't in the CFP:

San Francisco 49ers stadium
Tennessee Titans stadium
Carolina Panthers stadium
Jacksonville Jaguars stadiium
Houston Texans stadium
Las Vegas Raiders new $2 billion stadium
Detroit Lions stadium

How do you think the renovated Sun Bowl fits in with these?

Boring!!!!

San Francisco sucks. El Paso is way better. Too bad there’s too many “haters” here to make the Sun Bowl worthy of hosting the CFP final.

Once everyone stops being so “negative”, I think El Paso will host the Super Bowl by 2030. Anything is possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STFU. There is a difference between asking a question and working to achieve a higher standard than claiming El Paso should be hosting NYB’s. No one said we should it was simply asked if this renovations will get us closer to it.

El que no habla Dios no lo oye.

Reactions: paydirtpetetatt7
STFU. There is a difference between asking a question and working to achieve a higher standard than claiming El Paso should be hosting NYB’s. No one said we should it was simply asked if this renovations will get us closer to it.

El que no habla Dios no lo oye.

Lol omg.I cant believe were actually debating if El paso can host a BCS playoff game? Is this a Aprils Fools joke?

The joke is you keep calling them BCS bowls when in reality they ceased to exist back in 2013.

So calling them NY6 bowls makes your point more valid? How does the name change the fact that the Sun Bowl will never be one of those games?

So calling them NY6 bowls makes your point more valid? How does the name change the fact that the Sun Bowl will never be one of those games?
I’ve never claimed or said we will have one. I said it’s something to aspire for. A more doable realistic goal is to have one of the top three non NYB’s.

I hope I don’t hear a “We hope to have the best facilities in CUSA” today. It’s like saying, “I want to be the top salesman at Chato’s Auto Sales on Alameda”

Cheezus guys! Bad enough this site has dunderheads. Don't need miner fans forming a circle and firing away at each other. Had enough of that under Floyd.

You’re an a$shole. I’ve backed you up so many times against bob. Whatever dude.

What you so mad about? Im just asking. Its something El Paso can push for.Im on board now. So you think World Cup is a no chance?

In next townhall meeting maybe someone could ask him these questions.

1. With upgrades will you put a bid to host a BCS playoff game ? Senter could just ask NCAA to dump the Fiesta Bowl.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
Do you think with the upgrades Utep can maybe host World Cup ?

giphy.gif

.... and yet you get up in arms when someone asks about College Football Playoff game? This is even worse. We haven’t even hosted a USMNT game. Jesus people, you don’t go “First you upgrade the bathrooms THEN you get World Cup games.”

Last edited:
Wow I'm reading tweets from the presser, and I'm gathering that the big project Stull was pushing for before he left seems to be completely failed from what they had really really wanted. This west side of the Bowl renovation was a small part of the original master plan I saw drawn up.

This tells me Stull did not secure enough fundraising for a new south end zone facility which was the big thing, plus what they wanted to with the press box and concourse, and thus Senter reached out to GECU to fund the announced renovations today.

I mean I'm not completely hating on the face lift, it cool and all, but I'm sure Stull and others who were hoping to secure funds for this have to feel like they failed bigly (Trump voice), only reason I would ever bring up the Sun Bowl moving up the Bowl pecking order was due to the South end zone facility, it would have been a major game changer, now we just have a nice C-USA football stadium with terrible locker rooms.

Damn.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Wow I'm reading tweets from the presser, and I'm gathering that the big project Stull was pushing for before he left seems to be completely failed from what they had really really wanted. This west side of the Bowl renovation was a small part of the original master plan I saw drawn up.

This tells me Stull did not secure enough fundraising for a new south end zone facility which was the big thing, plus what they wanted to with the press box and concourse, and thus Senter reached out to GECU to fund the announced renovations today.

I mean I'm not completely hating on the face lift, it cool and all, but I'm sure Stull and others who were hoping to secure funds for this have to feel like they failed bigly (Trump voice), only reason I would ever bring up the Sun Bowl moving up the Bowl pecking order was due to the South end zone facility, it would have been a major game changer, now we just have a nice C-USA football stadium with terrible locker rooms.

Damn.
He’s only been ad for a few months and already secured funds for a $15 million face lift. Once we start winning and selling tickets he might be able to do the big $50 million project Stull wanted.

Last edited:
He’s only been as for a few months and already secured finds for a $15 million face lift. Once we start winning and selling tickets he might be able to do the big $50 million project Stull wanted.
I think that a lot of the funds that were raised were raised pre-Senter

He’s only been ad for a few months and already secured funds for a $15 million face lift. Once we start winning and selling tickets he might be able to do the big $50 million project Stull wanted.

I don't often give credit to stull but the majority of that money was secured by Stull.

Hopefully they’ll get this done by the 2019 home opener vs Houston Baptist. Improve the amenities over time. Fans won’t care as much if they see a winning product on the field.

Lol, y’all this is horrible! Very underwhelming!
An HGTV TV show could’ve done a better job. Call Joanna Gaines ASAP!

I mean it loiks cool for that area of the stadium and I like the club and banquet area. However I was hoping for more and reseating stadium wide.

Let the bitching begin! Show me the money! You guys sound like we have the money for all those face lifts! Reality sets in! Anyone have a couple million lying around for locker room renovations?!

Reactions: Cube Jack
This is a nice start. What were you guys expecting? You have a fan base that is largely absent in terms of giving, and a stadium that is falling apart. This was not going to turn The Sun Bowl into AT&T stadium. I would love for The Sun Bowl to add seating but I would imagine that would cost A TON of money. And if there are other pressing needs, ie the locker rooms then those should take precedence.

Reactions: mikesarabia
This is a nice start. What were you guys expecting? You have a fan base that is largely absent in terms of giving, and a stadium that is falling apart. This was not going to turn The Sun Bowl into AT&T stadium. I would love for The Sun Bowl to add seating but I would imagine that would cost A TON of money. And if there are other pressing needs, ie the locker rooms then those should take precedence.

Why would UTEP add seats to the Sun Bowl??? Games don’t come close to selling out and same for the Bowl game.

Why does any fan care about the locker rooms? UTEP should be focused on improving the fan experience. Locker rooms should be the lowest priority. UTEP players have the Durham Center. Who cares what the Rice players see once every 2 years?

Reactions: EPTUTEP
For all those not impressed with the renovations, how many of you actually donate money to UTEP Athletics?? Fan experience is the #1 priority and I thought Senter did a good job with the limited amount of money he has to work with for renovations.

The renovations that are going to bring FiliUtep’s and other posters dreams to life of the Sun Bowl hosting the Super Bowl, college football Championship game, World Cup games, Wrestlemania, MLB All Star game( after we redesign the Sun Bowl to accommodate baseball), and the Olypimics opening ceremonies are going to have to wait until people start donating large sums of money.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
I don't dislike the improvements at all. Just don't like the aluminum benches and was hoping for a orange hard plastic seating for a new look. I understand though the press box, concourse, bathrooms, banquet/club area etc.... was the goal. It will be nice I'm sure. With the exception of the football practice facility, our two major sports have top notch facilities.

You know this really does speak to Stull’s failures as an AD. Yes he did raise the Lion’s share of the money, but it seems like he raised it in the shadows. If Senter can keep this momentum going and if he is willing to engage the public then maybe they can raise more money in less time and we can make more improvements.

A great way to enhance the fan experience would have been to upgrade the field lighting.
- It would help the tv partners with the production (better picture)
- The lighting system is outdated
- Ask the EP Chihuahuas what it has done for them especially if you are watching the game on Milb.tv. Even though they are not using LED lighting, they are using green generation - lighting.
http://www.musco.com/light-structure-system/

I’m expecting a lot because they’re putting picnic tables? /exaggeration

But this took Tio Beto almost a decade? This?

I’m not even kidding when Joanna Gaines could’ve done a better job.

Nonetheless we got Father Jim to rectify the sins of Tio Beto. Imagine what Senter could’ve done in almost a decade!

I don't dislike the improvements at all. Just don't like the aluminum benches and was hoping for a orange hard plastic seating for a new look. I understand though the press box, concourse, bathrooms, banquet/club area etc.... was the goal. It will be nice I'm sure. With the exception of the football practice facility, our two major sports have top notch facilities.

I wonder if/when Individual seats are installed in The Sun Bowl how much of a hassle it will be. Because they seats take up more space than an aluminum bench the maximum capacity of the stadium will assuredly be reduced. So then they would have to move season ticket holders around. That could get messy. But that has to be a long term goal for the athletic department. Sitting on a bench with no back is not comfortable at all.

Why would UTEP add seats to the Sun Bowl??? Games don’t come close to selling out and same for the Bowl game.

Why does any fan care about the locker rooms? UTEP should be focused on improving the fan experience. Locker rooms should be the lowest priority. UTEP players have the Durham Center. Who cares what the Rice players see once every 2 years?

I meant adding individual seats.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT