ADVERTISEMENT

The media luncheon today...

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
should be an interesting one. What will Kugler say? He normally breaks down the last game and previews the next one. I hope he will announce that the North Texas game will be his last. Anyone think that will happen?

Unfortunately, I will say 0% chance of that happening.

He will probably say something like "these kids have fought hard all year", "we have a great group of kids coming in next year", etc.

So we heard the presser and the news that kugler isn't stepping down. Gave the same story of building the program, knowing what it takes to win in el paso, student athlete graduations have risen drastically, etc....GREAT!!!!!! I really hope we get 10k again north texas and utep gets blown out...if utep were to win I can already hear Bob Stull praise the players and coaching staff for fighting through adversity and building off the "momentum" of this game for 2017....same bullshit, new year

Reactions: UTEP05
Well, to be fair though it doesn't excite fans, student athlete graduation rate is a pretty big deal
No denying that Kugler has had a positive impact in the academics of the FB program and hopefully has a team largely built around good character young men but the bottom line for any FB coach is winning. At UTEP the bar is set too low.

My hope now rests on Dr. Natalicio telling Bob Stull to retire immediately, make Chris Park the interim AD with the understanding that he fires Kugler and forms a small committee to begin the search for a new FB coach that has proven success, ambition and ability to recruit Texas. Come on UTEP, show some damn creativity and ambition within your athletic department and quit setting expectations so damn low.

Well, to be fair though it doesn't excite fans, student athlete graduation rate is a pretty big deal

Totally agree! However winning some games comes with the package, even at small college or juco level. EPCC fired their baseball coach for not winning enough games but his graduation rate was good.

Where I, as a fan, disagree with Kugler is his philosophy towards the game and his BS of building this great crop if lineman that will help lead to wins. He is going head to head with teams who run the spread and time and time again, his team fails to control the clock with a ground game (this approach is from his lips to our ears), his O line has been inconsistent, he has done nothing to keep defenses from stacking the box, he fired a defensive coordinator because his blitz packages left DB's too many times in one and one situations but yet this def. cordinator, who runs different type of constant blitz packages, leaves our linebackers isolated or the d line has been easily pushed back and/or contained leading to open running lanes. There appears lack of discipline to cover their gaps or stay in their positions for counter plays. To put it best, the HC from Old Dominion said it best when he saw UTEP video. OD just picked up the blitz and the pickens for their (mobile) qb became more easy. Tying in with that, Kugler offensive strategy to control the clock fails if the opponent has a decent linebacking corp like Rice exposed, again, this past Saturday. Where Kugler makes himself look stupid is 1)Special teams and 2)Barney Fife type penalties. He came to El Paso espousing all the glory that will come with his highly disciplined teams on the field. The only players who have shown his type of discipline every game they play in is the Jones brothers, but they graduate and you can't put a franchise tag on them or sign them to a long term contract. Special team receivers insist on returning the ball back deep in their end zone, Juniel has been a bit of a disappointment and they put the offense behind the 8ball most of the time.

Let's not even get started on his and Stull's failure to build community involvement and attendance failure not seen since the Lee era.

Reactions: UTEP05
Absolutely no fan pays to see these kids play athletics because they are passing their classes, free education, passing your classes and graduating should be an expectation, not a card to be used when your teams suck...no excuses this "AD" needs to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT