ADVERTISEMENT

The Road to Omaha- NCAA baseball

Thanks for the update. I was wondering if Rice was going to make it. They had won 20 straight conference championships until losing in the finals of the CUSA tournament to S.Miss. this year. It is remarkable how good this conference is in baseball.

I would love baseball to return to UTEP but NOT at the new AAA ball park. When I played all that showed up were a few parents. Students won't attend if a field is not on campus. Also, I don't think UTEP would take on a non-revenue making sport. Question, would that also mean we would have to add another female team of some sort?

The new AAA park is much closer to the UTEP campus than Dudley (I am guessing that's where you played)? Being so close might entice students & locals to watch games & stick around downtown (maybe work out a bus pass plan between school & plaza). But down deep inside of me I feel there is nor ever will be interest in baseball coming from this administration.

Last edited:
Reactions: WestTxNA3
Too bad Cohen Stadium is so far away! It would be a tremendous venue for college baseball! A good recruiting tool as well along with competing in a very good baseball conference! I think of Mark Miller, Joe Pennies, Mark Bombard, Moe Modlinski, Roy Stringer, Bob Knox, Jim Brundage and a slew of very good Miner players. Baseball was on the rise from the Cohen days back then. When the sport was cancelled, our coach Bill Kinneberg went to Wyoming and was named WAC Coach of the Year. Still coaching at Utah where is still very successful. We have had a slew of local talent that has gone elsewhere to play and I am sure that there are plenty more to come! Best story I can tell was when UTEP was playing at Arizona and the fans loved making fun of Andy Cohen. He was pretty old by then and the fans would throw out a fishing lure attached to a rod in front of Andy and lead him as he walked down the left field line. :rolleyes:

I had forgotten about the lure. We were playing ASU and one of the guys put a roll of tape sticky side up so Andy would sit on it and when he went out to coach 3rd Base he had a roll of tape sticking to his butt. ASU fans almost fell out!

70+ Chihuahuas home games a year is a whole lot of competition for local baseball fans' time and money -- even when the seasons don't largely overlap.

70+ Chihuahuas home games a year is a whole lot of competition for local baseball fans' time and money -- even when the seasons don't largely overlap.

UNM, Nevada,UNLV, Fresno State, Tulane and Creighton are schools that play in cities with triple a baseball. They all are pretty successful. UTEP baseball would be successful.

Three C- USA teams have been eliminated: FL Atlantic, Louisiana Tech and Southern Miss. Rice beats LSU 10-6 for a winner goes to the super regionals at 3 p.m. MT/ 4 p.m. CT Tuesday on ESPN 3.

Reactions: UTEPy79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT