ADVERTISEMENT

Thik Bol committed to

CTF is having a helluva time landing high need players for the late signing period. Gone are the days where UTEP could nab a kid based on its bb reputation. Asking different friends around the country what they hear, if anything, it appears that the rap on Floyd has a slightly negative slant. I keep hearing the same thing, which is that a lot of the old school guys (coaches and media wise) think he's a coaching icon, and all around good guy, however the newer generation's perception of him is less than stellar. Personally, I think the more recent perception of him is hurting his ability to recruit. Our conference affiliation sure as hell doesn't help any either. Gawd, i hope the bulk of this team stays together and that we land who we need.

Reactions: Tucson_Miner
I think problem is more coaching than conference. Otherwise WKU, LaTech, UAB, ODU, Marshall would be in the same crapper.

Im gonna call you guys the Tim Floyd Hater Clan. Members are

UTEPy79
Tucson Miner
Fanaticoog

anyone else?

You have some thin skin Fili, but by all means, put me into whatever group you'd like. I actually think it's in UTEP's best interest to keep him around for AT LEAST one more year, depending on how next year goes. But since we are categorizing and grouping people, let me give this a try. I'm assuming you're in the Tim Floyd Can Do No Wrong So Let's Give Him As Many Years As He Needs To Get It Done Because He Has A Great Resume And Has Gotten It Done At Every University He's Been At Except For Here But That's Because He's Had A String Of Bad Luck Losing Players For Every Reason Under The Sun And Those That Do Stay Around Find Themselves In The Infamous CTF Doghouse For Reasons Unknown Which Gives Us Something To Speculate About To Distract Us From The Subpar Season We Are Having Yet Again Clan. No?

You have some thin skin Fili, but by all means, put me into whatever group you'd like. I actually think it's in UTEP's best interest to keep him around for AT LEAST one more year, depending on how next year goes. But since we are categorizing and grouping people, let me give this a try. I'm assuming you're in the Tim Floyd Can Do No Wrong So Let's Give Him As Many Years As He Needs To Get It Done Because He Has A Great Resume And Has Gotten It Done At Every University He's Been At Except For Here But That's Because He's Had A String Of Bad Luck Losing Players For Every Reason Under The Sun And Those That Do Stay Around Find Themselves In The Infamous CTF Doghouse For Reasons Unknown Which Gives Us Something To Speculate About To Distract Us From The Subpar Season We Are Having Yet Again Clan. No?
Great, but can you read this aloud in under 5 seconds?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I am in the wait and see mode. I said near the end of the season that I think that Floyd is going to get the program moving in the right direction. However, I also said that I didn't want to see this group broken up and rebuilt.

If Floyd signs JaCardo Hawkins, Perris Hicks, Roman Silva, and Chris Barnes. He still may give a scholarship to Kelvin Jones.

Floyd is at his scholarship limit, so the late signing period will be interesting. If he dumps guys to add a several more and we have 5-6 new guys on scholarship, I will be dissapointed. We need a coach that's going to recruit the right guys for his system and build continuity.

Even though Floyd hasnt got the team to NCAAs i dont blame him 100%. I blame Bob Stull,Dr Natalicio for not getting us in a better conference, and Britton Banowsky. Also schools like Southern miss and UTSA that dont work to bring up their RPI and play tougher OOC schedule. Thats the real problem i think. The bottom feeder teams of C-USA is making it hard to get 2 or 3 teams in the NCAAs. C-USA has a good solid 5 teams that could play with anyone. UAB last year and Middle Tennessee proved that C-USA is better than 1 bid league.

Even though Floyd hasnt got the team to NCAAs i dont blame him 100%. I blame Bob Stull,Dr Natalicio for not getting us in a better conference, and Britton Banowsky. Also schools like Southern miss and UTSA that dont work to bring up their RPI and play tougher OOC schedule. Thats the real problem i think. The bottom feeder teams of C-USA is making it hard to get 2 or 3 teams in the NCAAs. C-USA has a good solid 5 teams that could play with anyone. UAB last year and Middle Tennessee proved that C-USA is better than 1 bid league.

Its not Stull or Natalicios fault that our rpi is 215. They have made a big commitment to the program. Floyd has more resources than any coach before him. We play in a bad conference where we spend more than any other school in basketball, there is no excuse for not making the tournament in six years. CUSA has won a game in the tournament in the last two tournaments, but so has the Sunbelt. They arent getting multiple bids neither are we.

Playing in a weak conference might be a legitimate excuse during the OOC portion of the schedule. It's at least a worthy discussion point. But it does not explain why we finished behind UAB, Middle Tennessee, LA Tech, ODU, and Marshall this year. Or why we finished behind LA Tech and ODU last year. Or LA Tech, Tulsa, Middle Tennessee, and Southern Miss two years ago. In fact, since Floyd has been here, the best that he has done is tie for second in the conference, and that was with Barbee's players. You can't blame conference affiliation for all of your recruiting woes when you aren't beating schools from that same conference.

I said before the beginning of last season that I would give Floyd until the end of next season to win a conference championship or make the NCAA Tournament before calling for his head. I am sticking with that. But I did have high hopes then that the roster would be really strong next year, with most of our backcourt coming back, our young bigs growing up, and a new recruiting class coming in. Unfortunately, among our young bigs, only Winn (who was fantastic) showed us even a spark, and the recruiting class so far consists of nothing but guards, our strongest position. In order for us to be really good next year Willms has to return and has to play much better than he ever has in the past, and Kelvin Jones will have to be a stud. I hope that this happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, and by the way, the "Tim Floyd Hater Clan" is a stupid name. I'm sure that the people you placed on the list like Tim Floyd fine. I know that I do. I've cheered for him to succeed at every one of his coaching stops, and desperately want him to succeed here at UTEP. But he has not done anywhere near a good job of building a program here at UTEP. If he doesn't win next year it will be seven seasons of mediocrity. I think that's enough. Honestly, if any other coach had performed the exact same way that Floyd has during the past six seasons, fans would have lined up outside the athletic department with pitchforks and torches.

Well @nattybry had all of this insider Info, supposedly, and said that we had a good chance at landing him.

Not to beat up on Nattybry too much, but Nattybry is also the same person last year who claimed that he had stood next to both Mack Leftwich and Russell Wilson, and he said that they were the same size. When in reality anybody who has actually stood next to Leftwich knows that he is A LOT closer to 5'6" than being 5'11". And there is absolutely NO WAY that Leftwich is the "same size" as Russell Wilson.

The link is below:

"lol for the last time he's not 5'8 lol The El Paso Times is Dumb! He's 5'10 maybe 5'11 on a good day. I've met him and Russell Wilson, they're the same size." - Nattybry on 9/8/15.

https://utep.forums.rivals.com/thre...nsible-for-the-dumpster-fire.2340/#post-22146

Last edited:
I've found Nattbry's inside info to be pretty good most of the time. I'm wondering though if Bol even got an offer from us. I'm pretty sure UTEP pays a higher stipend than the Salukis. Last year we paid one of the higher stipends in all of the mid-majors surpassing some of the majors in Texas even.

I've found Nattbry's inside info to be pretty good most of the time. I'm wondering though if Bol even got an offer from us. I'm pretty sure UTEP pays a higher stipend than the Salukis. Last year we paid one of the higher stipends in all of the mid-majors surpassing some of the majors in Texas even.

As we brought him in for an official visit, I'm sure that we offered him. The total number of official visits is limited, we wouldn't waste one on a player that we weren't going to offer. There was obviously something about SIU that he liked better.

As we brought him in for an official visit, I'm sure that we offered him.

Not necessarily, we brought Victor Sanders in for a visit last year, he ran some pick-up games with the team(even made some tweets about how much he was enjoying playing with Omega), but then we chose not to offer him(possibly because of his knee or his workout). He later ended up having to go to Idaho.

It's possible that Bol showed up and only measured 6'5" or something(he is listed anywhere between 6'6" and 6'8", with most places listing him only at 6'6"), so maybe after getting him on campus, the Staff decided he was not a big enough low post solution to pair with an already undersized T Winn, therefore maybe they didn't offer? Or maybe after working him out, they decided that he was too raw or not ready enough to provide the immediate help that they need with this signing. Just a thought...

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive....rs-plans-to-play-basketball-at-texas-el-paso/

Last edited:
Not necessarily, we brought Victor Sanders in for a visit last year, he ran some pick-up games with the team(even made some tweets about how much he was enjoying playing with Omega), but then we chose not to offer him(possibly because of his knee or his workout). He later ended up having to go to Idaho.

It's possible that Bol showed up and only measured 6'5" or something(he is listed anywhere between 6'6" and 6'8", with most places listing him only at 6'6"), so maybe after getting him on campus, the Staff decided he was not a big enough low post solution to pair with an already undersized T Winn, therefore maybe they didn't offer? Or maybe after working him out, they decided that he was too raw or not ready enough to provide the immediate help that they need with this signing. Just a thought...

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive....rs-plans-to-play-basketball-at-texas-el-paso/

Maybe Floyd inspected his chest and Bol did not have an adequate amount of hair.

Actually, according to the article, we did offer Sanders. Apparently we must have rescinded the offer somewhere down the line, quite possibly because of concerns about his knee.

It is possible that we rescinded the offer to Bol. I think that it is much more likely, however, that he simply preferred SIU.

Maybe SIU showed him the James Michener Sports Illustrated story.

Miner fans constantly combine two entirely separate pieces of writing. There was an SI article that insinuated that Don Haskins and UTEP were exploiting black athletes. That article was not written by James Michener.

Michener did write that the 1966 NCAA championship was a low point in American sports, but it was not in SI. It was in his book Sports in America.

Both pieces of writing did hurt UTEP in recruiting at a time when we should have been reaping the benefits of the 66 team's accomplishments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT