ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts

UTEPfan1966

MI VIP
Apr 26, 2016
I am VERY happy that the kids won their 3rd straight game, however....

Before we start pushing our chests out and thinking they are coming together and whatnot, lets look at things objectively...

We beat 2 of the worst teams in the country....at home....in overtime....both by ONE point. A win is a win is a win, but honestly...

We did pound a UTSA team that already beat us. That's good to get a solid payback. BUT....they are NOT a good team by any stretch. They shot a pathetic 24% from the field, their worst in 4 years. And before you say our defense did it, MOST of their missed shots were open looks. They couldn't buy a bucket. They shot 2-22 from behind the arc. That's 9% when they are averaging 27% for the season. I don't think it was that we guarded that much better as it was they just couldn't make a shot.
In comparison, we shot 46% from the field including about 33% from 3s. (Haskins always said you look better when your shots go in) Look at it this way, If we miss just 5 more shots, and they make 4 more 3s, we lose. And son, that's not too far fetched. If UTSA could guard a little better, I think that happens.

My whole point is don't over react with this 3 game win streak. Enjoy it. The kids are still trying to play hard and thats always good to see....

On a different note, Floyd is still a pr*&ck. Opening tipoff we win the tip, and score an easy basket. Floyd just shakes his head in disgust. ......What happened to "I want to play Cameron more"? 4 minutes? WTF? Dude still needs to go.

Thomas has improved a lot, but he is so awkward. I really like Jones. Harris is amazing and now plays under control. I HATE the coach....

Announced attendance was about right. We had a LOT more people there than I expected. When I walked in, I thought...cool....

Anywho, let's cheer the kids on, but don't go near a cliff the next few weeks as I can honestly see another losing streak a comin....

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan

Before we start pushing our chests out and thinking they are coming together and whatnot, lets look at things objectively...

We beat 2 of the worst teams in the country....at home....in overtime....both by ONE point. A win is a win is a win, but honestly...

We did pound a UTSA team that already beat us. That's good to get a solid payback. BUT....they are NOT a good team by any stretch. They shot a pathetic 24% from the field, their worst in 4 years. And before you say our defense did it, MOST of their missed shots were open looks. They couldn't buy a bucket. They shot 2-22 from behind the arc. That's 9% when they are averaging 27% for the season. I don't think it was that we guarded that much better as it was they just couldn't make a shot.
In comparison, we shot 46% from the field including about 33% from 3s. (Haskins always said you look better when your shots go in) Look at it this way, If we miss just 5 more shots, and they make 4 more 3s, we lose. And son, that's not too far fetched. If UTSA could guard a little better, I think that happens.

My whole point is don't over react with this 3 game win streak. Enjoy it. The kids are still trying to play hard and thats always good to see....

On a different note, Floyd is still a pr*&ck. Opening tipoff we win the tip, and score an easy basket. Floyd just shakes his head in disgust. ......What happened to "I want to play Cameron more"? 4 minutes? WTF? Dude still needs to go.

Thomas has improved a lot, but he is so awkward. I really like Jones. Harris is amazing and now plays under control. I HATE the coach....

Announced attendance was about right. We had a LOT more people there than I expected. When I walked in, I thought...cool....

Anywho, let's cheer the kids on, but don't go near a cliff the next few weeks as I can honestly see another losing streak a comin....
I agree with don't get to pumped at this point, but your "IF" we had missed 5 more and they had made 4 more 3's is about the silliest statement I've ever heard. That's a huge "if".
Dude; we won by 20 points! In a close game you can live on ifs. Using your criteria; in almost every game this year if we had made 4 more 3's and our opponents had missed 5, we might be in first place. Guess that makes us pretty damn good after all.

Excellent post........now let's go sign Floyd to a 5 year extension!!!!!!

dream crusher

Great to see the Miners win 3 in a row. Let's enjoy this one and hope we get a few more wins. No doubt these kids are playing hard and deserved this win.

I totally agree with UTEPfan1966. UTSA couldn't have made a basket to save their lives. Remember UTSA scored 39 points. How many times does a team score 39 points? Not very often. The assessment is yet to come and if UTEP does great on the road then we're talking.

Last edited:
Reactions: alvinosports
I totally agree with UTEPfan1966. UTSA couldn't have made a mistake to save their lives. Remember UTSA scored 39 points. How many times does a team score 39 points? Not very often. The assessment is yet to come and if UTEP does great on the road then we're talking.

Killjoy

All I know is that some on this board predicted a double digit loss by UTEP and others liked those comments. Instead we beat them by 20 and held UTSA to its second lowest points ever scored in their entire history. Previous low was 37. I don't care what excuses you make for UTSA the fact is UTEP humiliated them.

By no means does this mean we are now a lock for the NCAA tournament. At least we are no longer the worst team in the country and we are on our way to qualifying for the CUSA tournament. I feel a lot better about the team than I did two weeks ago.

Of course we should be striving for a lot more than not being in last place and sneaking into the conference tournament. I'm riding this train wreck until it crashes.

Not at all. I am just being realistic. I already said I am happy with three straight wins and UTEPfan1966 said the same thing, BUT you have to look at the big picture. FAU is 330 and FIU is 338. UTEP is still 337. Yesterday's game was definitely an anomaly for UTSA.

If UTEP can beat the better teams in CUSA then we're talking.

Of course we should be striving for a lot more than not being in last place and sneaking into the conference tournament. I'm riding this train wreck until it crashes.

That sums it up right there. Like it or not, this season is still a train wreck, but at least it isn't as bad as before the three game winning streak.

These three teams hardly win away from home. Floyd and the gang HAD to beat them or we were staring at a 3-4 win season. From here on out I expect them to beat North Texas and So Miss at home. Any wins at home beyond those will be a bonus.

The Miners were 2.5 pt favorites to win the game. They did what they were supposed to. Lets win a game against someone we are not supposed to, before we give Floyd a 5 year extension on his contract.

Says the man that predicted a double digit loss and claimed they had "no chance." What a sad attempt to save face, pathetic actually. smh

Reactions: Cube Jack
Says the man that predicted a double digit loss and claimed they had "no chance." What a sad attempt to save face, pathetic actually. smh

Wow, really? You think I care to "save face" on this message board? Pfffttt

I did predict a blowout loss. Yep, that was me. I also remember we lost to this team already and I honestly haven't seen that much improvement since then. Have you seen our record? watch the games? I was wrong. That's cool, I usually am. :)

My whole point in the post was this. Damn near everyone on this board (naturally someone will argue I am being too general) over reacts back and forth. We barely beat 2 crap teams and blew out another crap team. It's awesome we have won anything after "the streak". I am happy/surprised we have a 3 game win streak, but let's not go over the top. Cautious enthusiasm.

And Miner1liner, utsa ONLY scored 39 points. That damn near never happens. It was NOT because we played lock down defense. They just couldn't throw it in the ocean from the side of a boat. I know, I was there. Granted, our kids played "better" defense, but sometimes teams are off more than normal. That was Saturday. It's kind of like when a team is shooting 70% from 3s and you sit and think "no way can they keep this up", but they do. Totally opposite this time. They had wide open looks and totally clanked them. So, is it wrong to wonder "if they make a few more shots, and we miss a few, we lose"? I think not. Just like I don't think it's wrong to think about the nights we might shoot 65% from the floor to only win by 2 and wonder what if we shoot "only" 50%.

Bottom line is this, we won 3 games in a row. Let's enjoy but until we start beating real teams, we aren't good and Floyd still needs to go regardless. We start a tough road swing this week. I think we will start losing again. Pray my accuracy on predictions stays correct. (this is why I don't gamble. I suck)

Enjoy your Monday, fools!
66 OUT!

Please, what an idiotic scenario. If we miss and they make more shots. What if Wilms hadn't of had crappy fouls called on him. He was eating them alive down low. Yes, UTSA couldn't buy a basket, they turned the ball over, they really couldn't get much going in the paint, not much in the way of fast breaks. You didn't watch the same game I did.....

And you probably want floyd to stay.....

I guess you didn't notice wilms with 4 fouls, jones with 3, and Thomas with 3. Crappy fouls called on wilms? Possibly. But all 3 of our inside guys? Nah.

It wasn't a scenario as much of a "could have happened"...wait...isn't that the same? Ha ha....idiotic? No. What's idiotic is jumping on the "we have fixed it" wagon after beating crap teams...and that my son was my point.

I don't think anybody believes this situation is fixed by a long shot. But people bitch when they lose and then they bitch when they win. All the team can do is try to win the games they play. If they had lost these last three games would that make some of you on this board happy? Who knows they may not win another game but the kids haven't quit. Why do we quit on them? Hate the coach all you want but support the players!

Last edited:
Well, Tim Floyd is Tim Floyd. He hasn't won anything in a long time. But it is fun to see some of our guys break out. Thomas is starting to play like he did in High School. Jones had 10 rebounds in 19 minutes. That's what we need out of that guy more than anything.

I'll take the win. I'm happy for the players.

One game at a time. Just enjoy the time together as players.

Reactions: DaMinerMan
And you probably want floyd to stay.....

I guess you didn't notice wilms with 4 fouls, jones with 3, and Thomas with 3. Crappy fouls called on wilms? Possibly. But all 3 of our inside guys? Nah.

It wasn't a scenario as much of a "could have happened"...wait...isn't that the same? Ha ha....idiotic? No. What's idiotic is jumping on the "we have fixed it" wagon after beating crap teams...and that my son was my point.

3 fouls hardly alters the game... and yes, three of the fouls on Wilms were crap! And yes two fouls in the first two and a half minutes does alter the game. I guess your reading comprehension is lacking..... never said something was fixed and no I do not want Floyd to stay. But beating someone by twenty the entire game and then stating if this might have happened is idiotic!!

The 1st post of the thread chastises those who are beating their chests, or warns us not to. Yet I've not seen one post in these last 3 games doing just that. Chill out and enjoy whatever steps this team takes forward. The most I've read is optimism that we might finish 7th and make the CUSA tournament. That's chest beating?

Reactions: jamasterj
If anybody thinks that UTEPfan1966's post has any negativity in it, then you need to read it again.

I find it funny that anybody would think this is chastising: "Before we start pushing our chests out and thinking they are coming together and whatnot, lets look at things objectively..." Either some of you grew up with parents who told you that everything you do is great and the word is full of rainbows, you don't know the definition of words, or you are just very very sensitive, or a combination of the three.

I also think it's hilarious some people think UTEPfan1966 made this thread to "save face". Really, some of you need to stop taking things so seriously.

Last edited:
But people bitch when they lose and then they bitch when they win.

Nobody is bitching that they won. I don't know where you are seeing this. Saying to "look at things objectively" is not bitching.

I would rather have a bunch of objective posts than a bunch of homer posts.

The .241 field goal percentage by UTSA was the lowest by a UTEP opponent since UAB shot 23.7 percent on Feb. 8, 2006.

If anybody was at the game they would know UTSA missed a lot of shots and a number of open shots. It was just one of those nights for them. Not taking any credit away from UTEP obviously because they played much better.

If anybody thinks that UTEPfan1966's post has any negativity in it, then you need to read it again.

I find it funny that anybody would think this is chastising: "Before we start pushing our chests out and thinking they are coming together and whatnot, lets look at things objectively..." Either some of you grew up with parents who told you that everything you do is great and the word is full of rainbows, you don't know the definition of words, or you are just very very sensitive, or a combination of the three.

I also think it's hilarious some people think UTEPfan1966 made this thread to "save face". Really, some of you need to stop taking things so seriously.

It didn't have negativity, but it did have false assumptions.

Reactions: allminer
Using your criteria; in almost every game this year if we had made 4 more 3's and our opponents had missed 5, we might be in first place. Guess that makes us pretty damn good after all.
This line is gold. I went back and checked on every game this season and under those if scenarios we would be 18-1 possible 19-0 if we beat Wake Forest in OT.

Last edited:
Musicchi05epfan, shut up...you yourself called Saturday's win a "great" victory, lol. If anything, you were the one doing some chest thumping, oddly enough, so maybe he was directing it at you. As usual, you put words in others mouth, I didn't say it was a negative post. But it was chastising, (look up the word). Again, who (besides you) called it a great victory and said anything even remotely hailing the return of Miner basketball might?. Show me.

Allminer said "shut up". He must be mad. lol Again, seriously, people need to calm down on here. If you don't agree with something, that's fine, but it's so hilarious that some people think that UTEPfan1966 was "chastising" anybody. I wonder how some of you function in "real life" where you have disagreements with others.

WOW it seems that it doesn't matter if we win, we will come up with something to put down our
team. Incredible....

Go Miners

Reactions: mikesarabia
WOW it seems that it doesn't matter if we win, we will come up with something to put down our
team. Incredible....

Go Miners

Yeah, these are certainly put downs. :rolleyes:

"I am VERY happy that the kids won their 3rd straight game"

"Thomas has improved a lot"

" I really like Jones. Harris is amazing and now plays under control."

"Announced attendance was about right. We had a LOT more people there than I expected. When I walked in, I thought...cool...."

"Anywho, let's cheer the kids on"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT