ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Floyd Show Tonight.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Here are some things that Floyd said tonight, take them for what they are worth:

Floyd said that we will have 7, possibly 8, new players next year if we can get an additional big man to sign. So apparently the plan must be that some players from this season are not going to be returning next season.

Floyd mentioned that we will possibly play in some type of summer tour(possibly in Europe), which will allow his new players to practice for 10 days in July, prior to leaving to play those summer games.

Floyd mentioned that next year we will play in the Puerto Rico Tournament. This year that tournament was moved to Florida because of the zika virus.

He still seems to be the only person in El Paso who didn't know that Vince Hunter leaving before last year was a possibility, as he mentioned again that they didn't plan on having to play last season without Vince and Matt. He even made an Isaac Hamilton reference again and also mentioned losing McSwiggin.

He complained about how bad our team was defensively last year and also complained about the new rules changes that will be happening this year, especially in the post.

He mentioned how raw Kelvin Jones is multiple times, but thinks that he can be a good player in time and help us defensively this year.

He seems to love this 2017 signing class and said that they should be announced this week. He said it will be one of the best classes that they have signed here.

He said that he has already left calls with Arizona and Texas Tech trying to set up Out of Conference Games.

Now it seems like every time Floyd talks it's nothing but excuses.

It looks like he is going to hit the reset button again next year since he is bringing in 7 to 8 new players.

It looks like Floyd is saying to be prepared for another average season yet again.

Well, I know what offers are out there so unless there's some real surprises, I don't see it being our best class. Also, I don't know how you can reset every year and win.

Reactions: UTEP05
Now it seems like every time Floyd talks it's nothing but excuses.

It looks like he is going to hit the reset button again next year since he is bringing in 7 to 8 new players.

It looks like Floyd is saying to be prepared for another average season yet again.

Heard part of it myself. I heard his boilerplate "play up to their strengths" banter. He did mention how extremely raw Jones is to work with.

With Floyd mentioning bringing in 7-8 new players for next year, we can already begin speculating who the 6 or so holdovers from this year's team will be. My guesses are below:

Willms (if healthy)
Harris
Thomas
Jones
Winn
Osborne\Cameron\Barnes\Flaggert\Touchet (only one out of this group)

Floyd is bringing in two new freshman PGs in Magee and Gilyard, so I guess his thinking is that a true freshman PG can run the team. This may prompt him to keep Barrett or sign a JC PG. No matter how you slice it, this is a major rebuild job once again.

Last edited:
Just thinking this through, who are the 7 new players for next year that he is talking about:

1.) McGee.
2.) Gilyard.
3.) Brewer.
4.) Smith.
5.) Williams.
6.) Oborne?(On Campus Transfer, not playing this year).
7.) Wade?(On Campus Prop 48, not playing this year).

Just thinking this through, who are the 7 new players for next year that he is talking about:

1.) McGee.
2.) Gilyard.
3.) Brewer.
4.) Smith.
5.) Williams.
6.) Oborne?(On Campus Transfer, not playing this year).
7.) Wade?(On Campus Prop 48, not playing this year).

I think that list looks spot on Defense. The number of new guys is a clear indication of where the staff believes this year's roster is with regard to talent level. Many on the board have a similar opinion; beyond three or four players, there is a big drop-off in talent. Floyd's approach of recruiting over should not be a shock to anyone, as he has utilized this approach for years. Most D1 coaches recruit over to some extent. The thing that is surprising to me is that Floyd has been unsuccessful with this approach while at UTEP. I do like the new group of players, and think they can have an impact. The gap I do see right away is the lack of another experienced big man (keeping in mind Willms' health, and Jones' "rawness"); and the lack of a seasoned PG on the team. That said, if the staff looks to add a couple of more new pieces to this list, we would be looking at ~9 new players. There is no way to blame Barbee for this one.

Last edited:
Well, just because they are recruited and/or committed, doesn't mean they will come here. Also, just because they come here doesn't mean they will be eligible.
Some of the guys on this year's team will most likely bail at year's end when they don't get the playing time they want or they want to be with their sweetie.... :)

Damn, I totally sound like I'm defending Floyd....ugh...

I'm sorry, but 7-8 new players is unacceptable, especially when we've damn near had that kind of turnover almost every year.

I can't understand how a seasoned coach ACTUALLY believes this is an effective way to build a program.

At this point, he needs to develope the players he has. It's embarrassingly apparent that his high risk approach to recruiting isn't going to work here...

So what does he do with the cast offs -- pull their scholarship or spot on the team after one year because he found someone better?

Reactions: USAFminersfan
So what does he do with the cast offs -- pull their scholarship or spot on the team after one year because he found someone better?

The season hasn't even started, and Floyd's already told many of them they're as good as gone. The one's who won't make it will know within a couple of weeks, when they're riding the bench...

This sounds like basic generic wallpaper. It's like when you hear the typical "we'll be ready for the game against (insert team here)".

The season hasn't even started, and Floyd's already told many of them they're as good as gone. The one's who won't make it will know within a couple of weeks, when they're riding the bench...

I hope he has the balls/decency to at least be straight with them as soon as he knows he's cutting them.

What a lousy judge of talent/character that CTF will be releasing 7 or so guys after this year. He is ALWAYS rebuilding...always.

Not trying to be a dik, but I'm honestly curious if Vegas and Purple are still on the Floyd bus in light of this disheartening info.?.

On one hand he was talking about how great it was having experienced players like Artis and Omega. Then he said he had trouble filling out the roster at the end of the signing period. Can someone please explain to Floyd we wouldn't have this problems if there wasn't so much turnover on the roster?
You would think this would be common sense to Floyd but it seems like rocket science to him.

Do you think he tells players up front they'll be replaced in one year if he can find a better player?

Do you think he tells players up front they'll be replaced in one year if he can find a better player?
no... otherwise nobody would sign here. Floyd is funny. He has no problem telling a player take a hike you have been replaced by a better player so your scholi is gone. But when players transfer on their own, he cries a river about how millennials have no loyalty and there is a transfer epidemic. Come on Stull do your damn job and pull the plug on this Floyd experiment.

I think Floyd should have already been replaced but that question does not make sense to me. Kids being recruited are savvy enough to know the score at UTEP and other schools. Even if they don't when they are first contacted they certainly know the score as soon as they interact with current players when they visit or thru social media. They are not ignorant of the situation.

Well Osborne is one of those 7or 8 players and we lose Artist so I guess only about 5 current players should be worried lol

It was a few short months ago that Coach held a press conference with a dissertation on the impact of the transfer epidemic on college basketball and the mindset of today's college basketball player.

That was in May, and now in November he has a plan to sign at least 8 when he only has 2 scholarships available. Seems contradictory that he blames the problem yet contributes to it.

Last edited:
Hmmmm didn't hear the broadcast but that's interesting.... Will any of those players be prop 48? I actually like what he has right now honestly... I like Barnes, jones , Barrett and didn't see Moore play but I liked those 3 players for sure granted I only saw they in one game

Reactions: mikesarabia
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT