ADVERTISEMENT

Time to sleep on it...

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Ok after having time to be upset and truly digest the S. Miss loss yesterday, first we have to be honest as Miner Fans. The truth is most of us had this as a Miner loss. The problem is that Army loss was not expected and especially not in that fashion. Also last nights game was not as bad as the score indicates. If we just look at the score we think, here we go again same ol Utep, but that's not what happened. It was 10-7 when the miners gave S.Miss the ball in scoring territory 2 times in row. 2nd half Utep got the fumble was going to be down only 10 as they drove to the 2 yard line when Greenlee threw a God Awful pass to S.Miss in the end zone and they returned it 100 yards. The defense didn't allow a TD in the second half only a field goal from a fumble Utep lost at they're own 4. Moral of the story is, this offense without Jones who hurt his ankle in the 1st half is terrible to say the least. So unless or until that gets fixed, they stop turning it over and having drive killing penalties, Utep will have a rough season and and probably finish about 4-8. The good news is, I don't believe its a talent problem, with the exception of the most important position QB. I hope they turn it around, the season isn't over yet, when the miners have 7 losses then I'll pack it in, not just yet!

QB depth is going to doom us. Greenlee is playing like garbage and is seems like every other throw is off his back foot. Kavika is straight up garbage. At least Metz was trying to throw the ball down field which isn't much since he wasn't faring any better.

QB depth is going to doom us. Greenlee is playing like garbage and is seems like every other throw is off his back foot. Kavika is straight up garbage. At least Metz was trying to throw the ball down field which isn't much since he wasn't faring any better.
I honestly don't think Utep can win with this offense at this level. We need something more pass oriented or at least 50/50 with a capable qb. Those interceptions were what really cost us what was a close game.

Reactions: alum95and98
I agree we need to recruit a QB. I hope the kid from Austin is the right one next year. Meanwhile Del Valles ex QB Montez beat the Oregon Ducks yesterday. If we keep recruiting EP we need to get the best of the bunch.

Good thoughts natt. I agree the defense played pretty well. If before the game you would told me we would hold USM to 358 yds of total offense, I would really like our chances to win. The defense was much improved and was still missing the best player on the team Alvin Jones.

The offense is just terrible. Still no communication along the O-line. Greenlee isnt accurate enough to be a d1 qb. The offense need to be tailored to Metz and Kavika's strengths. Both can run, both can hit quick slants and outs. Put them in the gun use tempo and utilize the short passing game and the read option. Kill them with a thousand cuts and that will open the vertical passing game. Way too much talent on this offense is not being utilized. They have uptempo packages in the offense. They practiced them on the spring and in fall. Why they havent tried them yet is baffling. We need more Wadley and Dawn in the backfield.

Even if they play the same crap offense the rest of the season, they will still win 4-5 games. The big problem is we are not progressing as a program. The growth has been stunted, and the damage to attendance is unsustainable, and damages the entire athletic department. The frustrating part is thatt we have as much talent as USM, we're just not utilizing and developing our talent well.

Last edited:
Good thoughts natt. I agree the defense played pretty well. If before the game you would told me we would hold USM to 358 yds of total offense, I would really like our chances to win. The defense was much improved and was still missing the best player on the team Alvin Jones.

The offense is just terrible. Still no communication along the O-line. Greenlee isnt accurate enough to be a d1 qb. The offense need to be tailored to Metz and Kavika's strengths. Both can run, both can hit quick slants and outs. Put them in the gun use tempo and utilize the short passing game and the read option. Kill them with a thousand cuts and that will open the vertical passing game. Way too much talent on this offense is not being utilized. They have uptempo packages in the offense. They practiced them on the spring and in fall. Why they havent tried them yet is baffling. We need more Wadley and Dawn in the backfield.

Even if they play the same crap offense the rest of the season, they will still win 4-5 games. The big problem is we are not progressing as a program. The growth has been stunted, and the damage to attendance is unsustainable, and damages the entire athletic department. The frustrating part is thatt we have as much talent as USM, we're just not utilizing and developing our talent well.
Best offensive evaluation I have read. You hit the nail on the head.

No QB with any type of sense would come here under this offense. We have to realize that we are going to get these types because good ones won't come.

Kavika's needs to be the primary receiver. He is good, has major vertical and can fight for the ball.

Greenlee is not the answer. Metz can't run as well, but Metz is more accurate, counter to what was reported at camp.

Defense has been set up to fail for the 3rd week in a row.

Plinke needs to stop holding. He had killed major offensive gains (the few UTEP has had) by his holding. The O line is not good as promoted.

Dawn needs more touches. He plays better than starters and can break tackles like Plinke when ball is in his hands.

Stull, show fans that you are a true (publicly employed) boss that answers to all, not just CC golf boosters. Going on the radio (KROD) and saying " boosters tell me blah, blah, blah" is alienating.

WTF is with all the penalties from a coach who promotes game time discipline?

FIU pulled the trigger. Stull needs to explain why he thinks FIU decision too is a bad idea? Both programs are losing a lot of money because both teams appear to be taking two steps back when moving one step forward?

Kavika's needs to be the primary receiver. He is good, has major vertical and can fight for the ball.

Greenlee is not the answer. Metz can't run as well, but Metz is more accurate, counter to what was reported at camp.

Defense has been set up to fail for the 3rd week in a row.

Plinke needs to stop holding. He had killed major offensive gains (the few UTEP has had) by his holding. The O line is not good as promoted.

Dawn needs more touches. He plays better than starters and can break tackles like Plinke when ball is in his hands.

Stull, show fans that you are a true (publicly employed) boss that answers to all, not just CC golf boosters. Going on the radio (KROD) and saying " boosters tell me blah, blah, blah" is alienating.

WTF is with all the penalties from a coach who promotes game time discipline?

FIU pulled the trigger. Stull needs to explain why he thinks FIU decision too is a bad idea? Both programs are losing a lot of money because both teams appear to be taking two steps back when moving one step forward?

Firing Kugler now would be a bad idea. There is no positive. The players were all brought here by Kugler. They would know whichever coordinator was put in as interim coach would be a lame duck. The situation would actually get worse.

If Kugler doesn't have a major turnaround and get at least six wins he will be fired. Stull is slow but he's not stupid. The athletic departments cash cow cant be hemorrhaging fans.

Metz is very fast probably 4.6 fast. At this point the best option would be to let him or Kavika run and up tempo zone read based offense. You have two dual threat qbs tailor the offense to their strengths. Stop huddling up.

This team is physically talented enough to beat at least 5 of the remaining teams that are on this weak schedule. In my opinion, anything less than a 6-6 season this year would mean that Kugler has lost his Program mentally in regards to the players confidence. Gary Nord mentally lost his Program, when he only won 2 games in his final season here, and Mike Price also mentally lost his Program in his final season when he only won 3 games. Once you lose your Program mentally, and the players lose their confidence and belief in what they are doing, then it is nearly impossible to get them back without a Coaching change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT