ADVERTISEMENT

Tweet from John Bohannon about Floyd

I can agree with that. However, the departure of England's best youth baller from UTEP from a country that stressed and coaches fundamentals at all levels vs American Calipari style organized street ball does not bode well for Floyd, IMO.

For a player whom had a tumultuous relationship with his head coach, he's staunchly coming to Floyd's defense.

Some friends were sitting next to TF table at the Rib Hut a few days ago. They heard him mentioning Menzies: "Thank gawd that son of ..... is gone. What ever happened to those knee jerk, hot headed coaches NMSU used to hire and flip off our fans? He left (NMSU) and still stole one from me dammit!"

(I'm kidding)

Bo does bring up a lot of good points and te fact that he played under Floyd lends some credence to the argument. But at the same time it's not hard to make the argument that what he's doing is not working. Every other coach post Haskins recruited ok, but they were able to coach up the kids. They kept their players for 4 years and undoubtedly that is key. Floyd has done the complete opposite and he's getting different results. So it's not hard to connect the dots.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
If I'm not mistaken, you called Floyd's program a dumpster fire yesterday on Twitter, correct Kappy?

Kappy did have a good interview with Bohannon that had lots of insight. But I don't think he's ever backed off his comments that he doesn't like what's going on at UTEP.

Bo's interview confirmed what I have always believed, Coach Floyd is just a hard ass, rules with an iron fist and with the way kids are today, soft as hell, they just don't want to put up with that kind of coaching. He's learned it from Coach Haskins and it's been said many times by former players, they hated Coach Haskins up until they graduated, then they loved him for it. Working in the education field, I see these kids coddled growing up so when they come across someone like Floyd, they're looking for a way out and I don't think Coach Floyd is gonna change anytime soon. BTW, I grew up with a wooden paddle hanging in our elementary school's office wall just to remind us to stay on track. I fell off a couple of times and I learned my lesson real quick, there was never a third time. I'm all for discipline, but I think Floyd needs to tone it down a bit if he wants to right the ship.

200w.gif

I think that is the biggest problem! The players are sooo soft these days and they know they have options!!! But come on you don't think dukes coach or calipari are hard asses? I have seen calipari about rip someone's damn head off !

True. But at the same time coaches have to adapt to get the most out of their players. Look at Tom Coughlin with The Giants, that guy was an ass and he realized he wasn't connecting and getting the most out of his players. I'm not saying to coddle them by any means but if all Floyd does is yell and bitch it's only natural that doesn't work after a while.

I think that is the biggest problem! The players are sooo soft these days and they know they have options!!! But come on you don't think dukes coach or calipari are hard asses? I have seen calipari about rip someone's damn head off !
Yeah they're hard asses, they can afford to... when you're coaching Kentucky and Duke, not so much at a mid major. I don't think they have to worry about them transferring, where are they gonna go...Vanderbilt, Oregon St., UCF...they're at one of the top basketball programs in the country. Bad analogy Mr. Fire.

How is that bad? You all are saying how Floyd can't relate to his players and I am just saying the best coaches in the country act the same way and basically the only difference is they are at power schools and conferences which limit the players options!

How is that bad? You all are saying how Floyd can't relate to his players and I am just saying the best coaches in the country act the same way and basically the only difference is they are at power schools and conferences which limit the players options!

OK genius, take a look at the thread "Tim Floyd is a joke". Look at all the transfers, quitters and players that never even made it to campus (after signing LOIs) and tell me of even one other coach in the nation who has experienced half the amount of turnover. Why the fuk do you keep defending this sorry ass coach? And to the bolded statement; no they don't all act the same way. There's a reason Floyd's name is tarnished all around the college bb landscape. He's considered by many analysts to be one of the most overrated and underperforming coaches of this era. You just keep on supporting him while this programs sinks even further into obscurity. It's not just preferable, but it's even wise to jump off a sinking ship.

Yeah they're hard asses, they can afford to... when you're coaching Kentucky and Duke, not so much at a mid major. I don't think they have to worry about them transferring, where are they gonna go...Vanderbilt, Oregon St., UCF...they're at one of the top basketball programs in the country. Bad analogy Mr. Fire.
Great response, you beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. Players at a Duke or Kentucky HAVE to put with their coaches. These players have their eyes on the NBA and the big money, so they know they need to listen and stay put. That isn't the case at UTEP, where players will quickly transfer to another school and hope it's a big name school that will get them to the NBA. The problem is a lot of kids don't want to work hard anymore, they want everything easy. Plus a lot of the really talented players can get by on their talent alone.

Reactions: jamasterj
Great response, you beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. Players at a Duke or Kentucky HAVE to put with their coaches. These players have their eyes on the NBA and the big money, so they know they need to listen and stay put. That isn't the case at UTEP, where players will quickly transfer to another school and hope it's a big name school that will get them to the NBA. The problem is a lot of kids don't want to work hard anymore, they want everything easy. Plus a lot of the really talented players can get by on their talent alone.

While I agree with the main thrust of your post, there are plenty of mid major college players who work hard. There are many mid major coaches who find the sweet spot in terms of discipline and letting kids be kids. Floyd is old school. There is no way around that. His old school approach does NOT work with today's average kid. Sure, if he could have 13 Flaggerts and Touchets in terms of solid upbringing, and therefore willingness to work hard without questioning authority, then he might get away with his outdated approach. But it's not the case. We have to keep in mind, these kids that are fleeing, are kids who's houses TF has gone into and with who's parents CTF has sat down and connected with. He chose them all. Is he that bad at judging character? I don't think so. He sells himself, because he is charming if you don't know the guy. Then his true colors come out over time on the court. His reputation is starting to precede him more and more. We truly will be getting the bottom of the barrel recruit more and more often as long as Floyd is our coach.

And why do I still support him? Because he has never failed to deliver at any college stop. Took all his teams to the dance, he is not stupid, lost the ability to coach all of a sudden

So you agree with him but not with me?? We said the same damn thing genius!

Jesus Christ. You two said no where near the same thing. I agreed with his statement, which focused on how today's player wants it all here and now, and the growing tendency to leave a situation with which they aren't receiving immediate gratification. Your point focused on the coaches. Reading comprehension is hard.

And why do I still support him? Because he has never failed to deliver at any college stop. Took all his teams to the dance, he is not stupid, lost the ability to coach all of a sudden

From an Xs and Os standpoint, you are probably right. Although even that's debatable given the offensive woes his team's faced for the first 5 years of his tenure running that 1950s style of slowing the game down to lava lamp pace.

I'll lay off you now purple. You have every right to your opinion and it's not my job to change it. I guess it just amazes me that one can continue to evaluate a coach based on his past success while much more current evidence suggests a trend in the opposite direction. To each their own.

Last edited:
He has failed to produce here. Which is all that matters. I am not sure why that is so hard for some people to see. What the hell difference does it make to UTEP that he did great at New Orleans and Iowa State? We all wanted him to be great here. It was a dream hire when it happened. It hasn't worked out.

Reactions: develman
A little off topic anymore rumors about the conference change? With everything sliding how it is a Mwc move could be just what we need...... I will definitely admit I am wrong if Floyd can't turn this ship around in the end but I hope I hear some noise from some of you if he does turn it around

Fred Hoiberg & Tim Floyd are mentioned in the same breath when discussing the Chicago Bulls. Futility is a frequently used word when describing their NBA coaching careers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT