ADVERTISEMENT

UNT OPT

People are going to remember the Trump years very differently. UTEP fans will all remember it as the four year stretch where UTEP won one conference game.
And only beat two FBS team. 2-11 RICE and 0-10 ULM.

I think this game proves how difficult it is to maintain success. UNT was rolling two years ago. Now they’re struggling to beat UTEP who’s missing the entire secondary and is on their third string qb.

We’re a lot closer to competing than we think. We just have to stop losing players. That ultimately falls back on Dimel.

Reactions: kickballpro
Despite everything, the Miners managed to score 43 points with Brownholtz.

43 points. With Brownholtz throwing 4 interceptions. That's the most points of the season for UTEP by multiple scores.

Obviously, if Dimel returns, he really needs to scour the transfer portal for starting Defensive Backs.

43 Points!

Despite everything, the Miners managed to score 43 points with Brownholtz.

43 points. With Brownholtz throwing 4 interceptions. That's the most points of the season for UTEP by multiple scores.
UNT D is that bad but take away two of those INT's and UTEP could have come out victors.

How come other teams can have 2 QB’s ready, yet UTEP has a veteran back-up who has been in the program 4 years(because he greyshirted his first year) yet he can’t come in and be effective when the game is on the line.

I am so tired of Dimel’s offense shooting itself in the foot. It never gets better with him. Our offense had three 15 yard penalties on each of first 3 offensive drives. We are so disorganized that in the second half, we actually ran an offensive play with 12 players.

Dimel’s offense went the entire year without scoring a single point on the their first drive of the first half all season. They also went the entire year without scoring a single point on the first drive of the second half all year. Additionally, Dimel’s offense only scored 3 total points in the third quarter all season. The problem was consistent enough to see that Dimel’s offense has problems.

In the 4 conference games for UTEP this season, we went into half-time: down 7, tied, down 3, and up 4. We were a competitive first half team this year, but a bad second half team.

Dimel’s team had 12 penalties for 93 yards today. Why Can Dimel not improve in this area?

Obviously, if Dimel returns, he really needs to scour the transfer portal for starting Defensive Backs.

43 Points!
I dunno. I clearly remember him saying that last year at the last game post game interview as he stated he was heading to some juco's for some defensive players but then again covid was just make its trans Atlantic flight.

How come other teams can have 2 QB’s ready, yet UTEP has a veteran back-up who has been in the program 4 years(because he greyshirted his first year) yet he can’t come in and be effective when the game is on the line.

I am so tired of Dimel’s offense shooting itself in the foot. It never gets better with him. Our offense had three 15 yard penalties on each of first 3 offensive drives. We are so disorganized that in the second half, we actually ran an offensive play with 12 players.

Dimel’s offense went the entire year without scoring a single point on the their first drive of the first half all season. They also went the entire year without scoring a single point on the first drive of the second half all year. Additionally, Dimel’s offense only scored 3 total points in the third quarter all season. The problem was consistent enough to see that Dimel’s offense has problems.

In the 4 conference games for UTEP this season, we went into half-time: down 7, tied, down 3, and up 4. We were a competitive first half team this year, but a bad second half team.

Dimel’s team had 12 penalties for 93 yards today. Why Can Dimel not improve in this area?
11 of 88 in penalties. Those are Raiders numbers.. One killed an early good drive.

Because we had four games cancelled and one game (today) postponed. It's frustrating but it's difficult to maintain game form when UTEP has multiple games in a row cancelled.

This season gets an "incomplete" grade from me. Dimel's seat should be very hot next season, though.

Because a coach has to inject life into his team. He has to ignite a fire in these guys. I’ve said this before, the cardboard cutout of Dimel is more passionate than the man himself.

Because we had four games cancelled and one game (today) postponed. It's frustrating but it's difficult to maintain game form when UTEP has multiple games in a row cancelled.

This season gets an "incomplete" grade from me. Dimel's seat should be very hot next season, though.
Senter said he will get 5. Assuming vaccination is here by then (treatment is)

Because a coach has to inject life into his team. He has to ignite a fire in these guys. I’ve said this before, the cardboard cutout of Dimel is more passionate than the man himself.
I agree. Apparently Dimel is very well respected in recruiting circles and a "players coach" but he needs to translate that into more wins.

1-0-1-? Dimel’s FBS wins by year. Does anyone really believe year four will be any better?

IMO Brownholtz did a nice job today. Thrown into the job as the starter had to cause severe butterflies. He accounted for over 300 yards running and throwing. He put up 43 points despite over 80 yards in penalties and 5 picks.
With more time he might be a better option than Harrison due to his pass/run threat. He is athletic and experience should correct his decision making.

IMO Brownholtz did a nice job today. Thrown into the job as the starter had to cause severe butterflies. He accounted for over 300 yards running and throwing. He put up 43 points despite over 80 yards in penalties and 5 picks.
With more time he might be a better option than Harrison due to his pass/run threat. He is athletic and experience should correct his decision making.
Yeah, but 4 interceptions, 3 of which were just not smart and ultimately those 4 turnovers are why Utep isn't going to a Bowl Game.

The four picks are IMO the result of his being in his first game and playing in a desperation mode; forcing something that's not there and that's where decision making will make a difference in the future.

The four picks are IMO the result of his being in his first game and playing in a desperation mode; forcing something that's not there and that's where decision making will make a difference in the future.

Agree two came after he made houdini like escapes from the pass rush and tried to make a play. One was a third and long that was a defacto punt. One was really bad went right to a linebacker makes me think someone ran a wrong route. It certainly seems like he has more upside than Hardison. We scored 43 points . You should never lose when you score over 40 points. I believe that's the first time we scored over 40 points since the 2016 finale ironically against UNT.

UTEP only completed 10 passes during the entire game, but scored 43 points. That is a weird number.

I know that we are feeling better because the team fought until the end, but the truth is that this was a 17 point game with 6 1/2 minutes remaining. UNT shut it down and basically just ran clock on it’s last two possessions, which allowed UTEP to make it close. UNT dominated the 3rd quarter and 2/3rds of the 4th quarter when the game was on the line. Had this game gone longer, I believe that UNT could have turned it on again and won comfortably.

After nearly an entire season, it was nice to see Dimel finally utilize Fields less. Hankins averaged 4.5 yards per carry. Awatt averaged 5.6 yards per carry. Fields averaged only 2.5 yards per carry and was finally given significantly less carries than Awatt. What was more annoying was seeing Fields get tackled by running into a guys shoulder. The announcers even called it “a shoulder tackle”. I don’t want to be disrespectful, but Fields is not effective at this level and that type of non productive carry is a summary of what he has done all season. Fields ended the year at 3.1 yards per carry(Hankins at 4.9 and Awatt at 4.5) and Fields lack of size and speed is the main reason why he was so unproductive. Hopefully, that weak shoulder tackle will be the last carry he gets for UTEP. It has been frustrating watching him run into a pile and go down quickly all season long.

We also really need to add a couple of bigger and faster playmaking WR’s. Those types of WR’s are all over college football and playing at all levels. We need to add a couple. Also, Dawn does some nice things, but his position really needs to be upgraded. He just has too many turnovers and drops.

I liked Breon Hayward, I would be interested to see how it would look if we moved him inside to replace Forester. Hayward and Knight inside might have the potential to be a decent inside LB pairing with more experience. But we need more speed at the outside LB.

I am just hopeful that there is some change to offensive coaching structure this off-season. The 3rd quarter issues, first drive issues, and overall production issues(we are #112 in total offense nationally) are just too glaring.

Dimel’s offense only seems to work when he can run his QB, but that doesn’t appear to work with Hardison. Or when Dimel has a running QB, he has a hard time keeping his QB’s healthy(like Kai going out at the end of last year).

Our O line did seem to improve as the year went on. Hopefully, there is some type of foundation there.

At the end of the day, I am just fearful of how many guys we might lose to the transfer portal. I already mentioned the Q Workman rumor that I heard. Dimel can not lose guys like Stewart, Praise, Moss, Cowing, etc. There is no more time for another rebuild. Being close at half time is one thing, but in my opinion, now Dimel is now down to his final year to show that he can actually start winning some conference games.

Last edited:
UTEP only completed 10 passes during the entire game, but scored 43 points. That is a weird number.

I know that we are feeling better because the team fought until the end, but the truth is that this was a 17 point game with 6 1/2 minutes remaining. UNT shut it down and basically just ran clock on it’s last two possessions, which allowed UTEP to make it close. UNT dominated the 3rd quarter and 2/3rds of the 4th quarter when the game was on the line. Had this game gone longer, I believe that UNT could have turned it on again and won comfortably.

After nearly an entire season, it was nice to see Dimel finally utilize Fields less. Hankins averaged 4.5 yards per carry. Awatt averaged 5.6 yards per carry. Fields averaged only 2.5 yards per carry and was finally given significantly less carries than Awatt. What was more annoying was seeing Fields get tackled by running into a guys shoulder. The announcers even called it “a shoulder tackle”. I don’t want to be disrespectful, but Fields is not effective at this level and that type of non productive carry is a summary of what he has done all season. Fields ended the year at 3.1 yards per carry(Hankins at 4.9 and Awatt at 4.5) and Fields lack of size and speed is the main reason why he was so unproductive. Hopefully, that weak shoulder tackle will be the last carry he gets for UTEP. It has been frustrating watching him run into a pile and fall down all season long.

We also really need to add a couple of bigger and faster playmaking WR’s. Those types of WR’s are all over college football and playing at all levels. We need to add a couple. Also, Dawn does some nice things, but his position really needs to be upgraded. He just has too many turnovers and drops.

I liked Breon Hayward, I would be interested to see how it would look if we moved him inside to replace Forester. Hayward and Knight inside might have the potential to be a decent inside LB pairing with more experience. But we need more speed at the outside LB.

I am just hopeful that there is some change to offensive coaching structure this off-season. The 3rd quarter issues, first drive issues, and overall production issues(we are #112 in total offense nationally) are just too glaring.

Dimel’s offense only seems to work when he can run his QB, but that doesn’t appear to work with Hardison. Or when Dimel has a running QB, he has a hard time keeping his QB’s healthy(like Kai going out at the end of last year).

Our O line did seem to improve as the year went on. Hopefully, there is some type of foundation there.

At the end of the day, I am just fearful of how many guys we might lose to the transfer portal. I already mentioned the Q Workman rumor that I heard. Dimel can not lose guys like Stewart, Praise, Moss, Cowing, etc. There is no more time for another rebuild. Being close at half time is one thing, but in my opinion, now Dimel is now down to his final year to show that he can actually start winning some conference games.
As for the running qb comment, Brownholtz would fit the bill. He adds that dimension to the offense and he has size, strength and should be more durable. As long as he isn't told to run up the middle. He can escape the rush but needs to learn when to throw it away.

I agree that Dimel should only have 1 more season. I also think that most schools would fire him this year. It is possible that he is about to turn this program around. We will find out next season.

UTEP would likely have won vs UNT, FIU at home this season. We should expect and demand at least 6 wins next year. In his 4th season our administration should not be content with a repeat of current results.

Reactions: axingfools1
We REALLY need a possession receiving TE. No real need to have a blocking TE and FB in at the same time on regular plays. Some new defensive backs are needed obviously. A true dual threat QB wouldn't hurt either! a guy that could run our offense against some top 100 defenses would be cool.

Offense can certainly continue to run with our stable of good RBs, but maybe add some mis-direction, edge runs (outside the tackles), bootlegs, screens and designed passes 6-12 yards down the field utilizing the area behind the LBs who are up to stop the run. No need to throw deep ALL the time. If we stick with runs inside the tackles 24/7 then we need way better players (not gonna happen in C-USA). Kugler had the same problem.

I like our front 6-7 with everybody able to come back. Maybe a few adjustments as UTEPDefense already stated. I think they played well yesterday until our offense kept turning it over and dropping passes and our defensive coaches isolated DBs on Darden.

Canales need to go like last year. This is Dimel's only hope for bringing in a new QB. I'd rather see Waters coach the QBs and try to run the offense

Canales need to go like last year. This is Dimel's only hope for bringing in a new QB. I'd rather see Waters coach the QBs and try to run the offense
But is Canales the problem when it's Dimel who calls the plays? The whole throwing deep all the time thing is on Dimel.

Why does Dimel call the plays for us? Does he not know how to delegate? Is he the type of person who doesn't trust other people to do things and so tries to do everything himself?

Reactions: picks up
If I not mistaken he took it over after the first year. He wasn’t happy with the way Canales was performing. That’s said why do you keep him as your OC?

Reactions: picks up
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT