ADVERTISEMENT

@ USM Game Thread

I think this team is improving. A calls here and there, things would be different. Next week is a must win game though. Have to win.

Dimel is like Kugler, may be a good asst or position coach. Not head coaching material.UTEP needs a young hungry guy, not someone who has a bad track record.
If UTEP loses to UTSA, I'll give up any hope for this season and I'll agree with those guys saying we should try somebody else at QB.

It’s hard listening to the post game press conferences. Dimmel sounds like a broken record saying “You take away the penalties and the mistakes and we’re in this game.”

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Some young coach who wants to prove himself. Not these coaches that don’t know the old days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust doesn’t work anymore.

I’m playing Devil’s advocate here, but if you think you’re going to get some young renegade coach who’s gonna set the world on fire, that ‘s probably wishful thinking. I think the way the game is now, a lot of up and coming coaches are getting scooped up because of the success of people like McVay, Kingsburry etc.

Given the losing nature of this program and also the fact that they don’t pay that well compared to other programs I can’t imagine high quality coaches are chomping at the bit to risk their career to try and resurrect this program. You come here, crash out and you’re on the scrap heap.

We will have to gamble on an under the radar d-2 coach. Really what do we have to lose. Another 3 years of losing? Other than Price when have we taken a gamble in football?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I’m playing Devil’s advocate here, but if you think you’re going to get some young renegade coach who’s gonna set the world on fire, that ‘s probably wishful thinking. I think the way the game is now, a lot of up and coming coaches are getting scooped up because of the success of people like McVay, Kingsburry etc.

Given the losing nature of this program and also the fact that they don’t pay that well compared to other programs I can’t imagine high quality coaches are chomping at the bit to risk their career to try and resurrect this program. You come here, crash out and you’re on the scrap heap.
Some impressive assistants interviewed for UTEP job. According to Senter, Dimel gave an energetic interview and best laid out plan based on his experience of rebuilding. Not my words but Senters (on the radio)

Some impressive assistants interviewed for UTEP job. According to Senter, Dimel gave an energetic interview and best laid out plan based on his experience of rebuilding. Not my words but Senters (on the radio)

You have to take that with a grain of salt. Best case scenario that was the truth, Dimmel crushed the interview and that was that. Worst case scenario they didn’t have a lot of good candidates and they picked the best they could.

No way an AD would say “We didn’t get the candidates we wanted, and the ones we had either priced themselves out of the job or made unreasonable demands.”

Last edited:
You have to take that with a grain of salt. Best case scenario that was the truth, Dimmel crushed the interview and that was that. Worst case scenario they didn’t have a lot of good candidates and they picked the best they could.

Or picked the guy with the most head coaching experience, thinking that this program needed a level headed, conservative, old school kind of guy.

I would imagine Senter is questioning whether or not he made a good choice.

Or picked the guy with the most head coaching experience, thinking that this program needed a level headed, conservative, old school kind of guy.

I would imagine Senter is questioning whether or not he made a good choice.

I wonder what he’s thinking. I’m sure as an AD you have to be willing to let your coaches build a program and you also have to be willing to go through growing pains.

Personally I can take the losses right now because there are signs that this team is improving. It’s unreasonable to think they could turn this team into a legitimate contender in less than 18 months.

The thing that’s a little worrying right now is the coaching, especially the play calling and game management. If they’re outgunned, they’re outgunned and I can accept that since they are trying to rebuild this program. But when youre getting two delay of game calls and you’re shooting yourself in the foot constantly that’s on the coaches.
Right now I would like to see everyone, from the HC to the players play mistake free football, and if we lose we lose. I can live with that because what good is talent if you can’t execute?

I believe there are a few successful coaches out there in lower division football or a top OF/DF coordinator that is looking for an opportunity to coach at the FBS level. UTEP has experimented with position coaches and “experienced” coaches that did not succeed at this level. I would say to wait how the season unfolds and evaluate Dimel after the season ends. If the team does not show much improvement then we need to look in a different direction. UTEP needs an up and coming coach with strong recruiting ties to Texas and Cali. I know it’s been a long time but Stull proved it can be done at UTEP. He brought along a new energy with young assistants like Andy Reid and Dirk Koeter who are now coaching in the NFL.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I wonder what he’s thinking. I’m sure as an AD you have to be willing to let your coaches build a program and you also have to be willing to go through growing pains.

Personally I can take the losses right now because there are signs that this team is improving. It’s unreasonable to think they could turn this team into a legitimate contender in less than 18 months.

The thing that’s a little worrying right now is the coaching, especially the play calling and game management. If they’re outgunned, they’re outgunned and I can accept that since they are trying to rebuild this program. But when youre getting two delay of game calls and you’re shooting yourself in the foot constantly that’s on the coaches.
Right now I would like to see everyone, from the HC to the players play mistake free football, and if we lose we lose. I can live with that because what good is talent if you can’t execute?
I agree with this 100%

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT