ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP basketball future

MinerDave

All Star
Dec 20, 2001
Let's assume this season is a lost year. Where do we go from here? Not much returning, underwhelming recruits and we dont have a coach. I realistically see a 10-win season next year. What do you all think?

The priority for the incoming coach will be to convince Smith, Wade, Osborne, and either Magee or Gilyard to stay (I don't see both Magee and and Gilyard staying). I like both of them but one of them is not going to be starting and is going to want more playing time. I think those 4 guys would give the new coach a good base to build on. Assuming the new coach can get them to stay, I feel like those 4 could get us 10-15 wins.

If 2 or more leave, I see less than 10 wins, sadly.

How soon can we hire a new coach? I know in football you had to wait till the end of the regular season.

Potential players for 2018-19:

Thomas
Touchet
Osborne
Wade
Smith
McGee
Gilyard
Royster
Martinez
Eyman
Ochieng
Highler, Rhyanes and Stephens (walkons)

Add one good scorer/SG like Smart from UNT or Cole from Howard and we are ok. Start recruiting or taking transfers for 19-20 and the new coach could be just fine.

Reactions: Prospero915
Potential players for 2018-19:

Thomas
Touchet
Osborne
Wade
Smith
McGee
Gilyard
Royster
Martinez
Eyman
Ochieng
Highler, Rhyanes and Stephens (walkons)

Add one good scorer/SG like Smart from UNT or Cole from Howard and we are ok. Start recruiting or taking transfers for 19-20 and the new coach could be just fine.

Realistically, some are going to transfer. It happens during every coaching change. Last year Rice's coach left for VCU and 4 starters transferred, 4 quality starters too

Reactions: axingfools1
Realistically, some are going to transfer. It happens during every coaching change. Last year Rice's coach left for VCU and 4 starters transferred, 4 quality starters too

Good — maybe we can beat Rice haha.

How soon can we hire a new coach? I know in football you had to wait till the end of the regular season.
We can hire a new coach tomorrow but no coach worth a damn is going to leave their job in the middle of the season.
BG was hired just before the start of the season.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The priority for the incoming coach will be to convince Smith, Wade, Osborne, and either Magee or Gilyard to stay (I don't see both Magee and and Gilyard staying). I like both of them but one of them is not going to be starting and is going to want more playing time. I think those 4 guys would give the new coach a good base to build on. Assuming the new coach can get them to stay, I feel like those 4 could get us 10-15 wins.

If 2 or more leave, I see less than 10 wins, sadly.
I agree with this assessment. Even with a few holdovers for the new coach, there is just not enough talent to compete for anything near a conference championship, or an NCAA tournament. In Wade and Osborne, I see athletic guys in the role of shooting guards, who aren't great shooters. They both show some potential, but I'm not sure how high either one's ceiling is. Really, the same can be said for Magee and Gilyard. They are good players, but I'm not sure the are more than complementary players on a good team. It is true that it is easier to turn things around in basketball, but the program as a whole next year, could be as low talent wise as BG's first year.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Anyone think Bob Cantu could get it done here? Before the bombardment of "no retreads", at least acknowledge the following.

Despite having coached under Floyd, the majority of his experience comes from elsewhere. He left Floyd of his own volition as I'm sure he was the one who realized he was on a sinking ship. Really good recruiter. Seems to connect with his players. Lots of west coast connections. Young enough to be here for a while, if he worked out.

Curious what y'all think.

I thought we were trying to get a new start. Cantu was a very big part of the Floyd underachievement era. Floyd talked him up a lot but name 1 good recruit that he brought here that contributed more than 1 year. Definitely never proved himself as an X's and O guy. What has he ever done especially here that would make anyone think he could be our head coach. He only strength seemed to be tweeting.

Reactions: unihorn
I say yes to Cantu if he is the best one out of the pool of applicants. But hiring him just based on his previous work experience at UTEP is just plain dumb if other candidates were better than him.

I thought we were trying to get a new start. Cantu was a very big part of the Floyd underachievement era. Floyd talked him up a lot but name 1 good recruit that he brought here that contributed more than 1 year. Definitely never proved himself as an X's and O guy. What has he ever done especially here that would make anyone think he could be our head coach. He only strength seemed to be tweeting.

First of all, don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on Cantu. I just know he will be in the mix. He has made it clear he wants to be head coach here.

Second, we were not privy to who Cantu brought in versus any who any other coach went out and recruited. I do know it was Cantu who found McSwiggan, who we obviously never got to see in a UTEP uniform.

Third, there is a reason that nearly every major basketball recruiting service/publication has Cantu as a top mid major assistant. Cantu was Hoop Scoop's #1 mid major coach for 2017, at least partially based on the top 10 recruiting class he helped bring into Portland. He was coachstat.net #4 mid major coach. He has consistently been in the top 20 since the early 2000s. He is worth a look, imo. Like I said, it won't bother me any if we find a fresh face and someone better, though. Just thought I'd ask because of a little "rumor" I heard through the grapevine.

I don’t know what’s going on in Portland but it hasn’t looked good the past two seasons with him as the top assistant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT