ADVERTISEMENT

Utep Bowl Chances?

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I know Utep has to win 3 more games, but how does that guarantee a Bowl Spot. CUSA has 5 bowl tie ins plus a condional bowl tie in. If Utep goes 6-6 there is still a very good chance 6 teams will have a better record than them. Contractually the bowls have to take the team with the better record. So that's great and all if we go 6-6 after such a pitiful year, but that doesn't necessarily mean we'd go Bowling.

More than likely this year (yet again), there won't be enough teams to cover all the bowl games. So, if we end up 6-6, we'll go to a bowl, contracted or not. I've even seen a site or two that has us going at 5-7.

I'm impressed with you "glass is half full" Miner fans. I know the players will play will gusto, unlike previous players who I saw quit during a live game under previous UTEP coaches. Kugler has left one hell of mess so I hope something positive happens for the players not him, his approach to head coaching at this level does not work.

As stated by many others before, UTEP's goal is to not make the NM Bowl every few years.

Reactions: UTEP05
Man it is tough to pick a side on this bowl game issue. Part of me wants us to go to a bowl game, but if we do go to a bowl game, it means Kugler will be here at least 3 more years. It will be even more sickening if we make a bowl game at 5-7, get blown out in the bowl game, and have Kugler 3 more years because Stull will say he will never find a coach who wants to coach here if he fires a coach who just went to a bowl game.

Reactions: UTEP05
At this point I feel like the best thing for this program is we lose out and hopefully Kugler is either fired, or he sticks to his word and quits. Hopefully we get a new coach who brings in some new found enthusiasm the wherewithal to not run AJ into the ground.

The new Sam's in the Northeast has UTEP outdoor captain style chairs for $6. Great price for those who follow UTEP to the NM Bowl.

Reactions: kickballpro
A little side note. Unless UTEP wins the conference championship we will always go to the New Mexico bowl. The champion picks their bowl everyone else is assigned bowls based on attendance and regional interest. The New Mexico bowl is the defacto UTEP bowl if we are bowl eligible.

At this point I feel like the best thing for this program is we lose out and hopefully Kugler is either fired, or he sticks to his word and quits. Hopefully we get a new coach who brings in some new found enthusiasm the wherewithal to not run AJ into the ground.
AJ is averaging 18 carries per game. How is that being run into the ground? Lots of players getting more carries per game than that.

A little side note. Unless UTEP wins the conference championship we will always go to the New Mexico bowl. The champion picks their bowl everyone else is assigned bowls based on attendance and regional interest. The New Mexico bowl is the defacto UTEP bowl if we are bowl eligible.

Not true, if UTEP finished 2nd or 3rd or even 4th place every year they would not be going to the same bowl every year.

That's not entirely true and a no brainer for UTEP and the nuts in Albu'cracky, so I see what you're saying; however, UTEP is not going anywhere.

But then again, this is a coach who set the bar at "Rice" level when he got to UTEP.

of course, the New Mexico Bowl probably takes into consideration Albuquerque's proximity to El Paso so that there will be a bunch of people traveling to the game; if only to take a short, easy trip before Christmas.

I understand where your coming from, but Jones hasn't been overworked this year, not sure if you've kept up?

Shameful.

These kids bust their ass and are doing everything they can to salvage the season. If you are a UTEP fan, you cheer for them. You want these kids to be rewarded for their work.

I supported Price, but in one crucial way Kugler is different: Price's teams always folded in October and November, whereas Kugler's teams have played their best ball at the end of the season. I hope they continue that trend this year. Two bowls out of three seasons would be something to build on. How could you not want that?

Because it's a false sense of improvement. While I want us to win, I don't want to barely beat crap teams and make a crap bowl. If we were improving, I would feel differently. Has Kugler beat anyone with a winning record? Any real team? Has he turned this thing around after taking over a dumpster fire?

Dumpster fire 2.0

We've been to 6 bowl games in the last 50 years. There are questions that need to be asked and answered about the staff this offseason for sure. That being said, we're not really in much of a position to be looking down our noses on going to any bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT