ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP football coordinators will not return..

Kugs will get a pass next year with two new coordinators but his seat is getting warm. Cleaning house to the extent he is doing so hints of maybe not desperation, but at least some urgency.

Definitely urgency. I know I'm beating that drum hard, but when you have kids quitting your program in mass, it's not the kids, it's your coach(es) interaction with them. After reviewing the stats, followed by player development, letting Huggins, Stoker and whomever else go is just part of the process. Kug's may be stubborn and set in his ways, but he's not stupid. He knew he needed to make changes which is why he didn't wait to do it.

He doesnt have one. He's the outlier. I should have noted that, my bad.

Whomever he hires next will be very telling about the direction of this program. Kug's clearly has a vision of how UTEP can be. Whether it's an SEC based power run game (my guess) or something else, he should be able to get a young hungry OC/QB coach that can help. I'm more interested to see how he goes defensively. Because he's a Steeler guy, I'm thinking he'd want to have someone that runs a version of the Tampa 2. If not, someone is going to have to hard sell him on the 4-2-5. My best guess is Stoker probably soured him on that one. I, personally, wouldn't use that in this conference (Tampa). But that's just me.

Last edited:
Whomever he hires next will be very telling about the direction of this program. Kug's clearly has a vision of how UTEP can be. Whether it's an SEC based power run game (my guess) or something else, he should be able to get a young hungry OC/QB coach that can help. I'm more interested to see how he goes defensively. Because he's a Steeler guy, I'm thinking he'd want to have someone that runs a version of the Tampa 2. If not, someone is going to have to to hard sell him on the 4-2-5. My best guess is Stoker probably soured him on that one. I, personally, wouldn't use that in this conference. But that's just me.

The 4-2-5 hasnt worked at UTEP. Osie Lewis tried the 4-2-5 and failed spectacularly. Stoker was a little more successful but it still put too much pressure on the dbs. I think with our current personnel the 3-4 is the best fit. Im very interested to see who Kugler brings in. Whoever it is they will have alot of talent to work with.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Kugs will get a pass next year with two new coordinators but his seat is getting warm. Cleaning house to the extent he is doing so hints of maybe not desperation, but at least some urgency.[/QUOTE

No Pass Next Year!!!! With all the players coming back and mainly Jones and what will probably be a talented transfer QB. (I know people disagree, but I'm 80% sure a new QB comes in) there's no pass next year! Still and Kugler were already prepared for this change, before the season ended.

The only way we get a transfer qb who can play right away is to get a graduate transfer. There arent many of those available. Only notable one I can think of is Trevor Knight. There will be alot of schools after him.

The only way we get a transfer qb who can play right away is to get a graduate transfer. There arent many of those available. Only notable one I can think of is Trevor Knight. There will be alot of schools after him.

Totally agree. Only way Trev picks UTEP is if Kug's brings in a dynamic OC who will throw the ball.

The 4-2-5 hasnt worked at UTEP. Osie Lewis tried the 4-2-5 and failed spectacularly. Stoker was a little more successful but it still put too much pressure on the dbs. I think with our current personnel the 3-4 is the best fit. Im very interested to see who Kugler brings in. Whoever it is they will have alot of talent to work with.

LOL. The 4-2-5 does put pressure on the DBs which is why they need to be coached up in press, transitioning and positioning (leverage). The marching orders are if you can't recruit the talent you need, you damn sure better be able to coach up the talent you get.

Maybe he won't get a pass from the fans, but I guarantee with a new OC and a new DC he will get a pass from Stull.

Maybe he won't get a pass from the fans, but I guarantee with a new OC and a new DC he will get a pass from Stull.

He wont get a pass from Stull. He would if attendance was good but with attendance down Kugler is on a much shorter leash.

Totally agree. Only way Trev picks UTEP is if Kug's brings in a dynamic OC who will throw the ball.

And we all know that ain't happening. Having watched him through HS, I can say that Knight likes to use his feet as much as his arm, if not more so. But unless Kugs changes up from the pro style run game, like someone alluded to, Knight won't even give UTEP consideration.

He wont get a pass from Stull. He would if attendance was good but with attendance down Kugler is on a much shorter leash.

Barring winning under 4 games next year, which he shouldn't with who he has coming back, Kugs will not get the axe after next season. No way, no how. Not with two new coordinators.

I'd be interested in going after someone young, that knows the ins and outs of Mike Leach's offense. Someone like Graham Harrell for example. His dad is a high school coaching legend in the state of Texas as well, couldn't hurt for recruiting.

I'd be interested in going after someone young, that knows the ins and outs of Mike Leach's offense. Someone like Graham Harrell for example. His dad is a high school coaching legend in the state of Texas as well, couldn't hurt for recruiting.

While I agree on going after someone young, I don't see Kug's going full Air Raid. I have no qualms about that whatsoever, however, he definitely needs an OC that has a vertical game component to their offense and are good with coaching QBs. Those two should be absolutes.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
I think JC is an option too. There are some quality QBS at the JC ranks, that at this point are probably more capable than what we have.

Some UTEP folks I've talked to think think Sean Kugler will be Bob Stull's last FB hire, regardless of how much additional time he gets via releasing staff. Several reasons. First, age. Stull's in his late 60s, he may not need it anymore, fire in the belly growing dim. Who knows?

Second, Stull has simply been unable to produce championships - football or basketball - in a league that some feel should be tailor-made for UTEP success. Frankly that's on HIS boss, she's obviously satisfied with UTEP's station in life, else you'd have heard/seen differently (see Rutgers yesterday, fired both HC and AD).

Third, and most important, Stull bet heavily on Kugler. With his arrogance and "committee of one" selection process, Stull went WAY out on a limb hiring a coach with zero Texas HS recruiting roots, zero HC or coordinator experience at any level, and minimal experience in dealing with college football players, programs or assistants. Other than all that, he was the obvious choice for the job. Kugler was pure and simple a nepotism hire and a gamble by Stull.

Now, if it all works, Stull looks like a genius - former player/favorite son/Stull prodigy returns home, El Paso-centric rosters, etc. But it's hardly a good sign when you're ditching coordinators and staff after three seasons at the VERY point in time when your program should be ready to blossom. New faces, systems, schemes, terminology, etc. - no matter the justification, for a ton of reasons, it's never a good thing for the players to change staff in "mid-administration".

Bottom line, if Kugler's got a coaching bone in his body, he's better get it right over the next couple of months (e.g. right staff hires, breakout recruiting class, key QB/JC adds, etc.), or both he and his AD meal ticket may well ride into the sunset on the same pony...

Last edited:
Kugler had to fired these coaches to keep his job. He will bring in new coaches to justify staying here 2 more years. With that being said he has got to bring in a spread offense to compete in this league. This NFL run game is not going to win. And the conference was down this year. I see someone with a college background and able to relate to college kids. That card I coached in the NFL has been played and wont work in the living rooms of recruits anymore.

Reactions: LaserCoog

The 4-2-5 is a good defense. TCU runs it. It's sound. Osia Lewis ran a 3-3 stack, not the 4-2-5. The coverages with a 3-4 are not different from a 4-2-5 with the exception of Double Robber. I am not sure if UTEP can recruit 2-Gap lineman which is required for the 3-4.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
The 4-2-5 is a good defense. TCU runs it. It's sound. Osia Lewis ran a 3-3 stack, not the 4-2-5. The coverages with a 3-4 are not different from a 4-2-5 with the exception of Double Robber. I am not sure if UTEP can recruit 2-Gap lineman which is required for the 3-4.

The 4-2-5 is a great defense if you can get pressure on the qb. Our problem was we couldn't get consistent pressure on the qb. When your corners are on islands of you cant pressure the qb you will give up big plays in the passing game.

Kugler had to fired these coaches to keep his job. He will bring in new coaches to justify staying here 2 more years. With that being said he has got to bring in a spread offense to compete in this league. This NFL run game is not going to win. And the conference was down this year. I see someone with a college background and able to relate to college kids. That card I coached in the NFL has been played and wont work in the living rooms of recruits anymore.

This is not about Price vs. Kugs. Both have their styles, and both had success and failures.

I don't think WE HAVE TO bring in a spread offense to compete. What we have to do is bring in a good play-caller that knows how to find an equilibrium. And it appears that that is what Kugler is doing by replacing his OC.

You got that right!

"If you can't recruit what you need, you better coach up what you got." - Me.

Kugler is in a hot spot right now i think. What coordinators would come work with a coach thats on the hot seat? No coordinator is looking for 1 year deals.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
You sure it wasn't Chip Kelly? Just sayin'....

I'm sure... Chip said if you can't recruit what you need, buy'em. lmao.

BTW, Oregon, aka Chip Kelly doesn't believe in players. They are the "It's the system over players" coaching mentality. Oregon is not, nor have they been known for developing players (common knowledge). Their system philosophy is plug and play. Frankly, I don't agree with that philosophy, but that seems to work for them.

Last edited:
Kugler is in a hot spot right now i think. What coordinators would come work with a coach thats on the hot seat? No coordinator is looking for 1 year deals.

I'm not sure what new terminology their using right now, but it would be a one, plus one. Simply put, it is essentially a two year deal. The second year is just insurance that if there is a coaching change and those assistants are released, they would still be compensated for one additional year. That's pretty much standard fare for assistants.

If next season goes south on us then Kugler will be gone. Next year sets up well for the Miners schedule wise and also experience coming back. Assuming all the injuries heal plus all the experience gained this year plus the number of returning starters ( a lot ), there is no excuse for another losing season. I would bet that Kugler knew that he had to have more balance on offense ( he has said as much ) and that he needed a new OC to get that done. Not sure why the DC is also gone but inconsistency could be a reason or maybe Stoker found another opportunity.

I like the OC at SHSU ( 50 ppg and balanced offense) and the DC at McNeese St ( allowed 10 ppg ) for the replacements.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Kugler loves to run the ball and you know when he goes up against tough strong teams like Arkansas they will be running into a brick wall I don't understand why kugler does my consider running an offense like Oregons?? They are based off the run but using the speed and edges .... That is something that can work down here!!

Reactions: TrojanMiner
I'm sure... Chip said if you can't recruit what you need, buy'em. lmao.

BTW, Oregon, aka Chip Kelly doesn't believe in players. They are the "It's the system over players" coaching mentality. Oregon is not, nor have they been known for developing players (common knowledge). Their system philosophy is plug and play. Frankly, I don't agree with that philosophy, but that seems to work for them.
Ms

I'm sorry but have you ever heard of Marcus Mariota? That's just one of many I could say

Make no mistake this teams offense will be anchored by Jones, but they have to become more balanced and Kugler will find an O Coordinator who can hopefully be more creative and not predictable. With that said, the QBs on campus are not ready to lead this team next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Leftwhich retires and starts his training as a coach. He's getting hurt too much and multiple serious concussions are piling up. Maybe we can get a package deal from D2 with an offensive Coordinator and QB transfer...

Ms

I'm sorry but have you ever heard of Marcus Mariota? That's just one of many I could say

I'd love to hear how they developed Mariota. I'm really interested to hear those just one of many names as well. I'm pretty confident for every one of yours, I'll have several. In the meantime, I'm sure you've heard Kelly speak during his time at Oregon. He talked about their system. Helfrich just last year before the game with Ohio State did the same thing; their system. More importantly, Urban Meyer was sitting next to Helfrich when he said it. Meyer said after the game that's when he knew they would beat them.

No high school coach that comes into contact with Oregon, nor 7 on 7 coach(es) or other coaches in the industry talk about Oregon "developing" their talent. They don't. That's not just me that says that, it's practically everyone. Now before you point to several Ducks in the NFL as indicators of Oregon developing talent, we can debate each and every one if you like. However, I'll readily accept the most accomplished Duck is Max Unger. He's probably one of the best centers in the league (top 10 maybe), certainly indicated by his absence from Seattle's o-line.

Now that Kelly is in the NFL, we've seen his "system over players" approach. That's not working well for him or the Eagles.

Good riddance to Higgins. He was stinking up the entire program. He was a key reason for losses this season and he should be ashamed to even show his face in El Paso. When you only have 10 yards of offense in a quarter.....you cant actually call yourself an offensive coordinator.

Remember something Kugler said. He let's his Coordinators do their job and doesn't interfere. So very likely Higgins was calling the plays he wanted until Kugler saw enough. New Coordinator will be more pass savvy still with an emphasis on run. I think Jones could thrive in the Pistol. Kavika or new running QB with a good arm would be good for that offense and with Jones, Reddix, Batson, White, etc... we'd have weapons everywhere and still be able to run 60% of the time.

TCU's Meachum pulled his name from UNT's coaching search. Looking like it may be Seth Littrell from North Carolina.

I will reply to the Oregon thing later ( don't have time at this moment). However even if it is a system why couldn't that system work here??

I will reply to the Oregon thing later ( don't have time at this moment). However even if it is a system why couldn't that system work here??

If you run a particular system, then you need players that fit that system (plug and play). It's easier if you're a high caliber program because you virtually have your pick of the litter of high caliber players. However, if you're not that type of program and you're pulling second and third level players, then you have to focus more on development.

I'm not saying UTEP couldn't run the spread, because they could. The only problem is Kug's isn't a spread type of coach. Even more, he's not Gary Patterson either. Gary, at some point a few season's ago, realized his offensive philosophy didn't fit the landscape he was in, nor the type of players he was getting. He decided to change course and bought in Crumbie and Meacham and the rest is history. Unless Kug's decides to go against his DNA, and opts for the spread (or pistol or a variation of the two), he's going to stick to his guns. Nothing's wrong with that. He just needs a OC that understands passing game concepts 100% than Higgins did.

Frankly, Kug's has gone on record as being a fan of the way Arkansas runs their program. He should take a few days and visit Ohio State (conditioning program only), Michigan/Michigan St. and Stanford for how they run their offense and their program. If he wants to mimic anyone I'd pick them. I'm sure there are some others, but all three play the type of physical football he wants to play. Why not Bama? Meh, Saban would be could for coaching techniques (debatable) but for a full frontal I'd go either Michigan and Stanford.

If you run a particular system, then you need players that fit that system (plug and play). It's easier if you're a high caliber program because you virtually have your pick of the litter of high caliber players. However, if you're not that type of program and you're pulling second and third level players, then you have to focus more on development.

I'm not saying UTEP couldn't run the spread, because they could. The only problem is Kug's isn't a spread type of coach. Even more, he's not Gary Patterson either. Gary, at some point a few season's ago, realized his offensive philosophy didn't fit the landscape he was in, nor the type of players he was getting. He decided to change course and bought in Crumbie and Meacham and the rest is history. Unless Kug's decides to go against his DNA, and opts for the spread (or pistol or a variation of the two), he's going to stick to his guns. Nothing's wrong with that. He just needs a OC that understands passing game concepts 100% than Higgins did.

Frankly, Kug's has gone on record as being a fan of the way Arkansas runs their program. He should take a few days and visit Ohio State (conditioning program only), Michigan/Michigan St. and Stanford for how they run their offense and their program. If he wants to mimic anyone I'd pick them. I'm sure there are some others, but all three play the type of physical football he wants to play. Why not Bama? Meh, Saban would be could for coaching techniques (debatable) but for a full frontal I'd go either Michigan and Stanford.

I think there is alot of anecdotal evidence that kugler wants to move to a spread offense. The biggest reason is that Kugler hasnt recruited a prostyle qb the last few years. Kavika is suited more for a spread offense as are the two qbs currently commited for next year. If Kugler was commited to the pro style offense you would think he would recruit a drop back passer, but he hasnt. Im on record saying our offense next year will look alot like dan mullen's offense at Mississippi State. I think we will run a run based spread, Kavika and Metz are equipped to run it. It wont be uptempo but it will employ Dan Mullen's spread concepts.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
I think there is alot of anecdotal evidence that kugler wants to move to a spread offense. The biggest reason is that Kugler hasnt recruited a prostyle qb the last few years. Kavika is suited more for a spread offense as are the two qbs currently commited for next year. If Kugler was commited to the pro style offense you would think he would recruit a drop back passer, but he hasnt. Im on record saying our offense next year will look alot like dan mullen's offense at Mississippi State. I think we will run a run based spread, Kavika and Metz are equipped to run it. It wont be uptempo but it will employ Dan Mullen's spread concepts.

Well, I've always thought Jones was or would be better suited in the spread or pistol. Even more, I thought the QBs would be better suited in the gun than under center. Certainly Leftwich would have benefited from the gun.

Kugler is trying to implement the pistol along with variations of a pro set is what it looks like to me for the last two years. Either way, UTEP opponents will look "Oh, Jones is in this play! 8 in the box fellas!".

Kugler is trying to implement the pistol along with variations of a pro set is what it looks like to me for the last two years. Either way, UTEP opponents will look "Oh, Jones is in this play! 8 in the box fellas!".

My biggest complaint with Kugler this year was building the offense around Jones. Everyone knew he wasnt durable and wouldnt last the season. I expect Jones role to be drastically changed next season. I expect to see him split out more and used in the back field as a third down back. If we have learned anything the past three seasons its thats jones isnt a feature back.
He can be a key piece of the offense and is definitely a weapon but he cant be the focal point of the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT