ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP football coordinators will not return..

Uteper

MI Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2002
per some posts on Twitter:

@adrian_broaddus: Breaking news: UTEP Football offensive coordinator Patrick Higgins and defensive coordinator Scott Stoker will not return next season

@adrian_broaddus Higgins and Stoker are two of five coaches that will not return to the Miners next year according to an inside source

Wow!

Kugler must be pissed to clean out 5 Coaches. Happy about Higgins, hopefully we can get someone in here who doesn't throw passes 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 13, but I would not have minded Stoker staying.

And needless to say, the 5-7 Bowl talk possibilities can end now, considering that we don't have any Coordinators.

Last edited:
Reactions: TortugaEP
If this is true, I'm not sure about Stocker unless Kugler has someone else in mind. Maybe the 4-2-5 isn't something he wants to continue with. I'm happy to see Higgins go

Maybe it was pressure from Stull. This year we had the lowest attendance since 2003. After that season Stull told Nord to fire his coordinators, he didnt and he was fired. Stull may seem happy with the status quo, but he understands economics. We cant continue averaging 22,900 in football. Next year the seven home games are a huge financial risk. This could be Stulls way of drumming up interest and excitment.

Stunned to see Stoker get the boot. He won't be out of work for long...

Maybe it was pressure from Stull. This year we had the lowest attendance since 2003. After that season Stull told Nord to fire his coordinators, he didnt and he was fired. Stull may seem happy with the status quo, but he understands economics. We cant continue averaging 22,900 in football. Next year the seven home games are a huge financial risk. This could be Stulls way of drumming up interest and excitment.

I believe the tailgating rules killed a lot of attendance. we had a large group, wives, girlfriends, boy friends, and children. most of us had tickets, but if the kids didn't want to go or just wanted to lounge and maybe go in at half timeit was a great family and friends outing. NO MORE! our group slowly stopped going as a group. probably 50% do not go anymore because of kids. when you have from 2yrs to 17yrs we could get all there at least to eat, have fun and then they could go. I know my 2 grand children (8 &10) that live with us really have more fun at the games when other children their ages are there.

The tweet states the two coordinators are not returning, but doesn't explain why. We can speculate both were fired, but what if one was fired and the other resigned? Perhaps, Stoker received a better offer elsewhere or just didn't want to remain at UTEP. Just playing devil's advocate.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Sounds like TCU's Co-OC Doug Meachum might be UNT's next HC -- the coaching carousel begins.

Last edited:
Sucks about Stoker leaving(for whatever reason) But I hope Kugs brings in some peeps that can build a winner.

what if one was fired and the other resigned? Perhaps, Stoker received a better offer elsewhere.

I believe that this is a likely scenario. Although, the original report saying that there is a total 5 Coaches is the part that makes this seem so big, especially after so little turnover during the past few years.

Coach Kugler was quoted tonight as saying that he won't make any announcements until January. But with Offices being cleaned out less than 24 hours from the final game, this has likely been planned for a while now. I'm sure him and Stull already have their new DC and OC identified. Hopefully, he will get the new Coaches in here soon so they can get started recruiting.

I believe that this is a likely scenario. Although, the original report saying that there is a total 5 Coaches is the part that makes this seem so big, especially after so little turnover during the past few years.

Coach Kugler was quoted tonight as saying that he won't make any announcements until January. But with Offices being cleaned out less than 24 hours from the final game, this has likely been planned for a while now. I'm sure him and Stull already have their new DC and OC identified. Hopefully, he will get the new Coaches in here soon so they can get started recruiting.

I hope you are right in regards to Kugler and Stull having their OC and DC identified already. I hate to see so much turnover when next year is "the year" according to everyone.

I can't imagine Stoker had another offer given that the season just ended for many of the teams. I can't imagine any school has even made a list of potential coordinator candidates, let alone interviewed and made offers. As much as I hate to see someone lose their job this was necessary.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
I hate seeing Stoker leave. I know the team was inconsistent at times but they had played very well during the last few games. With all the players coming back next year I was hoping the defense would be our strength next year. I would hate to see this team take several steps back while they learn a new defensive scheme.

Reactions: Nugget 07
Danny Mata at ABC 7 Extra just asked Bob Stull if the OC and DC were returning next year. In typical Bob Stull fashion, he told Mata to ask Kugler that question.

I hope coach Leftwich was fired too. Maybe his son will go with him...

I actually liked Stoker. bummer....

Just don't get all the love for Stoker, you guys like giving up nearly 5 touchdowns per game? This was year 3 of the resurrection. His defense, his recruits, his players. Peeling off coordinators after year 3 is nothing but a tacit assessment of the status and direction of the program by Kugler and his boss. Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do...

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
We had three *really* bad defensive games at the beginning of the year. After that stretch we only had three games where we gave up over 30 points, just two of them hitting the 5 touchdown number you put out there. The defense was decimated by injuries, especially the secondary, but after a horrific start it steadily improved.

Wow!

Kugler must be pissed to clean out 5 Coaches. Happy about Higgins, hopefully we can get someone in here who doesn't throw passes 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 13, but I would not have minded Stoker staying.

And needless to say, the 5-7 Bowl talk possibilities can end now, considering that we don't have any Coordinators.

He needed to do it. It's part of that eval I've been harping about. It was needed not only because of the direction of the offense and defense, but when you have that many kids quit the team, those are coaching related issues, not players.

Reactions: LaserCoog
If this is true, I'm not sure about Stocker unless Kugler has someone else in mind. Maybe the 4-2-5 isn't something he wants to continue with. I'm happy to see Higgins go

There is nothing wrong with the 4-2-5. The problem was Stoker's lack of scheming. You can't run the same flat defense without making adjustments for a lack of personnel or less talented personnel. Simply rotating one corner to another side, for example, isn't the adjustment he needed to make. Kugs shouldn't stop there though, but he doesn't need to. Whomever he brings in for the DC will want to bring in his own core guys. This means you can expect some more people to leave on the defensive side of the ball. Adios amigos!

Doubt it. Kugs DNA is NFL based. First, you change coordinators. Second, you fire yourself. Kugs first salvo was his coordinators and position coaches. Stull didn't have to tell him to do that.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The tweet states the two coordinators are not returning, but doesn't explain why. We can speculate both were fired, but what if one was fired and the other resigned? Perhaps, Stoker received a better offer elsewhere or just didn't want to remain at UTEP. Just playing devil's advocate.

Their record for one. Their stats are another. Developing their players is a third. I doubt Stoker received a better offer. You only get those if you produce. Injuries aside, he didn't. No tears for him or Higgins.

Agreed. The sooner the better.

Just don't get all the love for Stoker, you guys like giving up nearly 5 touchdowns per game? This was year 3 of the resurrection. His defense, his recruits, his players. Peeling off coordinators after year 3 is nothing but a tacit assessment of the status and direction of the program by Kugler and his boss. Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do...

Well said.

Well said.

Now if that's the case, it has to be that the db's failure to position themselves for the (big) pass plays. Beverly was supposed to be the stud db out of fall camp and the only one who didn't get the injury bug. However, he was burned many, many, many times. Needham is a good db but questions abound on why he wasn't is certain schemes that he excelled in or other times he was just plain lost sometimes. And the footwork! Sweet jeezus that was embarrassing sometimes because there were times they just literally tripped over their own two feet and gave up a big TD (La Tech was a glaring example). Given CUSA is all pass happy and UTEP is one of the few run first teams, Kugler needs db's to stop the "big chunk" plays and db's who can lay some wood when an opponent is at the second level.

My money for oc is on John Shoop. His offensive philosophy aligns with Kuglers. They both have an nfl background. Shoop was the oc at purdue where his son plays. Im sure Kugler is very familar with Shoop.

Bring in Mike Price as OC and Robert Rodriguez as DC! Ok Ok back to reality, I hope there are two young up and comers that can light a fire on both sides of the ball. Also, I hope they are bringing in a new special teams coordinator! Maybe Kugler can bring in some of his buddies he had at Boise or in the NFL. I think Kugler did an outstanding job late in the season with all the injures. Playing La Tech tough at home and winning on the road in November are things Price was never able to accomplish. Go Miners!!

From everything I have read, Shoop sucks. All the Purdue fans are delighted he got fired. Let's hope it's not Shoop.

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2015/...-greg-hudson-and-rubin-carter-fired-by-purdue

I hope its not Shoop. I remember when he was the oc for the bears,and he sucked. To this point Kugler has only hired coaches with connections to UTEP, Boise State or Purdue. Kugler has only hired coaches he's familiar with. Kugler's sons opinion matters to Kugler. He hired Cornell Jackson after getting a positive review from his son.

Now if that's the case, it has to be that the db's failure to position themselves for the (big) pass plays. Beverly was supposed to be the stud db out of fall camp and the only one who didn't get the injury bug. However, he was burned many, many, many times. Needham is a good db but questions abound on why he wasn't is certain schemes that he excelled in or other times he was just plain lost sometimes. And the footwork! Sweet jeezus that was embarrassing sometimes because there were times they just literally tripped over their own two feet and gave up a big TD (La Tech was a glaring example). Given CUSA is all pass happy and UTEP is one of the few run first teams, Kugler needs db's to stop the "big chunk" plays and db's who can lay some wood when an opponent is at the second level.

Stoker shot in himself in the foot, so to speak, with his failure to scheme (better) for his defense. It's one thing to leave your DBs on an island in man coverage, it's another to leave a freshman on an island without any help. No knock against Beverly, but he was getting beat in camp, so it shouldn't have been any surprise to anyone that he'd get beat in a game. That said, he gets beat badly against Arkansas and Stoker's halftime adjustments were to leave him out there, on an island. Then do it again, in large part, against Tech. Even a competent Pop Warner coach would know better than to do that back to back. Again, I have nothing against playing man coverage, but if you're going to put your balls on the table, you better know when to move them too.

As for the DBs technique, that falls on their position coach. Their footwork and transition was suspect. IMO their best DB quit. I've said before about playing those psychological games with players and it backfired. That's not a punch against the kid, that's a backhand for the coach that thought that was an appropriate strategy. If you're going to have your DBs in man coverage, they better be well schooled in press technique, transitioning, and positioning themselves against fly routes. Like you said, in pass happy CUSA, that should be a must. Unfortunately, I saw very little to zero of that this season.

I'm looking forward to seeing who Kugs brings in and how the offensive mix works next season. Glad he let them go. That house needed to be cleaned.

I hope coach Leftwich was fired too. Maybe his son will go with him...

I actually liked Stoker. bummer....
I like the leftwhich kid, he played with heart and is a fighter n did some good things. He's not a starting QB at the D1 level, but I have nothing I'll to say about the kid.

I hope its not Shoop. I remember when he was the oc for the bears,and he sucked. To this point Kugler has only hired coaches with connections to UTEP, Boise State or Purdue. Kugler has only hired coaches he's familiar with. Kugler's sons opinion matters to Kugler. He hired Cornell Jackson after getting a positive review from his son.

I wouldn't necessarily go NFL for my OC. He needs people that can relate to 18 year old's. Not every NFL coach is a college coach.

Kugs will get a pass next year with two new coordinators but his seat is getting warm. Cleaning house to the extent he is doing so hints of maybe not desperation, but at least some urgency.

Reactions: LaserCoog

What connection to UTEP, Boise, or Purdue did Stoker have?

Reactions: JeeberD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT