ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football Roster

With so many FCS schools not playing this fall there has to be at least one of them that has a capable qb that would like a shot to play at an FBS program in 2020.

With so many FCS schools not playing this fall there has to be at least one of them that has a capable qb that would like a shot to play at an FBS program in 2020.

Just to be clear, you think it’s possible for a FCS QB to transfer and be eligible to play in 2020 with the season starting in less than 2 weeks?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Just to be clear, you think it’s possible for a FCS QB to transfer and be eligible to play in 2020 with the season starting in less than 2 weeks?
Just to be clear do you want to comment on TJ or you were just waiting for me to say something? Thanks man I’m glad my comments draw your attention more than the UTEP breaking news.

Reactions: EP Maximus
Not my fault you said something ridiculous. There hasn’t been 1 player transfer from FCS to FBS since they cancelled the season, that will play this season. Maybe UTEP can sign a player that has used up all of their eligibility so they can play this season? Since we’re suggesting fake stuff now.

I’m glad you care more about my comments than UTEP news.

Fake solutions and fantasy comments are a high priority of my care level. Oh man, what are we going to do without a Freshman QB who probably chose us over FCS teams???? Our potentially successful season is totally shot now!

Fake solutions and fantasy comments are a high priority of my care level. Oh man, what are we going to do without a Freshman QB who probably chose us over FCS teams???? Our potentially successful season is totally shot now!
My bad I made a mistake thinking an fcs qb would be eligible immediately. Like I said this is a UTEP message board and my comments draw you out quicker compared to actual UTEP news. Thanks for being a fan. I’ll send you an autograph.

Dimel does look pretty pissed off when asked about whether Goodwin may transfer. It's not looking good for Dimel. If he is here year 4 he may still be looking for a QB.

I remember a tweet from Goodwin last year with the gist being "there is no honor in this business". I took that to mean that when he was recruited he was told he was the man and the reality turned out to that he was in a competition for the job. I hope he decides to stay and compete but Brownholtz better start getting reps just in case.

Canales will be the 1st to be fired (if Dimel stays) based on the sheer fact that he was a QB coach at a power 5 school before UTEP and hasn't found a serviceable QB in his tenure here. I would have fired him at the end of last year if I were Dimel.

Reactions: minerfan_14
No way to spin this as positive. Hopefully one of the guys can play. If I'm being brutally honest I would take the starting QBs from both the FCS schools on our schedule over any of our assembled group of "camp arms".

Last edited:
Reactions: JCorona
If you can’t beat out the other quarterbacks on the depth chart than it only makes sense that you won’t start. Convert any anger that you may have into energy that may make you better, rather than pouting on Twitter or threatening to transfer. I’d rather not have a guy on my team that is not mature enough to compete and accept a coach’s decision based on performance. Just my opinion and may not be popular, but shit, if you can’t start here you’re definitely not going to see a lot of playing time at another school.

If Goodwin did decide to transfer, he would be immediately eligible at an fcs school like SFA or ACU. Just sayin.

If you can’t beat out the other quarterbacks on the depth chart than it only makes sense that you won’t start. Convert any anger that you may have into energy that may make you better, rather than pouting on Twitter or threatening to transfer. I’d rather not have a guy on my team that is not mature enough to compete and accept a coach’s decision based on performance. Just my opinion and may not be popular, but shit, if you can’t start here you’re definitely not going to see a lot of playing time at another school.

I agree. I think the situation is an indictment of how poorly the qb group has been managed. We have a group of guys who other Buckholtz were JC guys who weren't signed until July after a need developed. That's not how you build a qb group. I hope Hardison plays lights out and we have diamond in the rough. However, right now the qb group is a reflection of the entire program. It's hard to find a silver lining.

In Hardison's arm, I trust. In the UTEP O line I pray. I honestly believe Hardison has the potential to be the next Brent Stockstill (MTSU) of CUSA. I said potential, calm down auto boy.

I do not expect to see Hadison scramble his way out of trouble. Based on history I do not expect to see big strides in O line performance. Kugler and Dimel have done way to much damage pumping up this most important component and for five years it has been underwhelming.

What I do expect is yeoman lunch pail work from out rb's, again. Dimel has a one two and undercut punch this year at that position. I will say, on paper, UTEP has the best rb's in CUSA, but they were redshirted and injured. Wadley has to be one of the best rb's in Texas college football. When he is healthy, he is tough to bring down.

Efficiency, efficiency, efficiency. This is where UTEPFB fails.

a) Three n out with inconsistent play calling. Canales is a Traveling Willbury assistant and he's at UTEP, still. Don't get me wrong, the man can recruit with the best of them at this level, but his play calling brings on premature baldness.

b) Zero, nada, bubkas, there ain't no there, there of a pass rush. Oregon transfer Hotchkins was anticipated to be a painful loss last year. It was a like losing the a/c unit and the furnace was stolen to boot! Last year UTEP put a "please return to owner" announcement with the police department for any UTEP player that could record a sack behind the opponent's line, tripping was included. Some JUCO's bit on the DPPP (Dimel Power Point Presentation) and media reports are promising.

That's it. Consistency, efficiency and pressure. UTEP should easily win four games if they just do that. Baby steps with Dimel, baby steps. We're not WKU or UAB.

Last edited:
Reactions: RanDaddyBinks
I remember a tweet from Goodwin last year with the gist being "there is no honor in this business". I took that to mean that when he was recruited he was told he was the man and the reality turned out to that he was in a competition for the job. I hope he decides to stay and compete but Brownholtz better start getting reps just in case.
I always wonder if that tweet had something to do with his brother.

Great post. I think everyone would agree with your assessment except for Goodwin. I guess Goodwin assumed all he had to do was show up at camp and he would be named the starter. Let Goodwin leave. If he quits on his team two weeks before the season begins because the other guy has been named the starter then you he's lacking in character and sound judgment.

Great post. I think everyone would agree with your assessment except for Goodwin. I guess Goodwin assumed all he had to do was show up at camp and he would be named the starter. Let Goodwin leave. If he quits on his team two weeks before the season begins because the other guy has been named the starter then you he's lacking in character and sound judgment.
I dont want to assume he has decided to leave yet, but yes. Why all the drama with these kids?

That’s not how today’s young people are though. They want to celebs right away and don’t want to work their way to the top. Entitled and worthless.

That’s not how today’s young people are though. They want to celebs right away and don’t want to work their way to the top. Entitled and worthless.

That's very true for a lot of young people and some of it has to do with parents telling their children they're the best at anything.

I know somebody who took out a second mortgage, works 3 jobs, and has roommates to pay off the $200k in loans to pay for her kid to go to a top film school.

The parent praised her son his whole life and he thought he was going to write a film script and be famous.

]He's now 30 with no job and is supported my his mother.

He didn't want to start from the bottom and work to the top.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

I don’t get why these kids are so quick to transfer. At the end of the day if this was about playing time there’s no shame in sitting on the bench and learning for a season or two. Do these players expect 0 competition as if their dad is the head coach? You need competition because nobody’s job should be safe and no one should feel that entitled as to believe they are above the team.

I don’t get why these kids are so quick to transfer. At the end of the day if this was about playing time there’s no shame in sitting on the bench and learning for a season or two. Do these players expect 0 competition as if their dad is the head coach? You need competition because nobody’s job should be safe and no one should feel that entitled as to believe they are above the team.
? No where does he say he’s transferring as well. NCAA opt out for COVID is here
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...hlete-well-being-scholarships-and-eligibility

• All student-athletes must be allowed to opt out of participation due to concerns about contracting COVID-19. If a college athlete chooses to opt out, that individual’s athletics scholarship commitment must be honored by the college or university.

? No where does he say he’s transferring as well. NCAA opt out for COVID is here
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...hlete-well-being-scholarships-and-eligibility

• All student-athletes must be allowed to opt out of participation due to concerns about contracting COVID-19. If a college athlete chooses to opt out, that individual’s athletics scholarship commitment must be honored by the college or university.

He has the right to opt out but the timing is a bit suspect. The other guy is ahead of me so I will just opt out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT