ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP is listed as a +48 point Underdog to OU.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
UTEP is currently a +48 point Underdog to OU at some on-line sports books.

It is the largest line currently listed for Week One. Clemson as a 40 point favorite over Kent State is the second biggest line.

At this current moment in space and time, does it really even matter what the line is?

Drive to OU, get drunk, hope no one gets seriously hurt (which I doubt because Kug typically plays vanilla football against bigger programs) and enjoy some hee haw music.

I may have to place a bet on that. Me thinks OU beats that spread by the 3rd qtr, and their second string offense will continue from there...

Kug typically plays vanilla football against smaller programs, too.

Very, very true.

What I mean is that you have coaches who come into games like this with three schools of thought: A) "I'm in it to win it". Classic David vs. Goliath approach that goes back to antiquity. B) We just don't have enough fire power on the field. However, we can win at certain positions (but we have no realistic shot to win the game). This is Coach Kugler to paraphrase his own words when UTEP went up against UT. C) "I have no real clue what I'm doing". My plays are from Madden NFL and I read a few books on Tom Landry. These are the Coach Klein's (The Waterboy) and UTEP has had their share of them.

BOLD PREDICTION

Metz leads two scoring drives, one being a FG, against OU's 3rd team and scout teamers, and the Miners pull off an exciting back door cover losing by only 40.

Kugler goes on to talk about how those drives will set the offense up for success the rest of the season, not the 10 consecutive three and outs to start the game, and the 1.2 yard per carry average on first and second downs, and say these kids fight and I love them.

GO MINERS!!!

BOLD PREDICTION

Metz leads two scoring drives, one being a FG, against OU's 3rd team and scout teamers, and the Miners pull off an exciting back door cover losing by only 40.

Kugler goes on to talk about how those drives will set the offense up for success the rest of the season, not the 10 consecutive three and outs to start the game, and the 1.2 yard per carry average on first and second downs, and say these kids fight and I love them.

GO MINERS!!!

It could certainly work out that way but I actually think the Miners will do better than this. It will not be a moral victory but I think it will be more like the Texas game last season which was 41-7. That's not good but it will be on the road vs a highly ranked team that many think will challenge for the NC. Coming back home the following week and beating Rice will be a very good thing for this team and I'm sure Coach Kugler does love his team and I'm betting that they love him as well. I'm hoping they do well this season.

It could certainly work out that way but I actually think the Miners will do better than this. It will not be a moral victory but I think it will be more like the Texas game last season which was 41-7. That's not good but it will be on the road vs a highly ranked team that many think will challenge for the NC. Coming back home the following week and beating Rice will be a very good thing for this team and I'm sure Coach Kugler does love his team and I'm betting that they love him as well. I'm hoping they do well this season.
Hope so man...

Looking back on that Texas game, I mean it was a blowout in the end, but if Alvin Jones doesn't get called for that downfield penalty on a 3rd down late in the 2Q, were down 13-7 with four minutes left until halftime with possession. Gotta hope for little victories like that, but OU is def a different beast imo...

Was there ever a decision made whether Baker Mayfield will recieve any type of suspension or not?

Not that Kyler Murray would be a much better scenario for us.

We should keep some perspective in mind about the game at OU. In 2014 OU started the season with a big 48-16 win over a pretty good La Tech team. Tech went on to win the conference west division, lost in the championship game and beat Illinois in a bowl game. So if the Miners lose big, good things will still be possible. I stress the word possible.

If the OU game is a true debacle similar to Nord's next to last year when the Miners lost at a 7-5 Kentucky team 77-17 and followed that up with a 68-0 drubbing by number 2 ranked OU, then it will be the last season for Kugler. Here's hoping he does much better than that.

The OC at Kentucky when they scored that 77 points was none other than..... you guessed it, Brent Pease. Small world.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Well, OU has a new coach and their QB has had off-field issues.... if UTEP was going to pull an upset this is the time! I'm not saying that it'll happen, but if it WERE to happen...

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Just tackle like that cop who took down Mayfield. If UTEP does that, they have an outside chance. :confused:

Reactions: Cube Jack
We know one thing for sure, with this being Mayfield's heisman season, they will throw and throw often against the Miners. We need to do something drastic to win, like the time Nevada played 7 defensive backs against Boise St. when they seemed unbeatable.

We know one thing for sure, with this being Mayfield's heisman season, they will throw and throw often against the Miners. We need to do something drastic to win, like the time Nevada played 7 defensive backs against Boise St. when they seemed unbeatable.
Didn't UTEP play 8 in pass defense for much of the game for the big upset over BYU years ago?

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
I'll take the under. I think the score will be somewhere around 55-10.

That is a realistic take, in my opinion. Despite the changes in staff, Riley has a good grasp of the way Stoops/OU rolled. He'll keep the train moving. Stranger things have happened but I give the Miners less than a minuscule chance of winning this one.

I'll take the under. I think the score will be somewhere around 55-10.

That is a realistic take, in my opinion. Despite the changes in staff, Riley has a good grasp of the way Stoops/OU rolled. He'll keep the train moving. Stranger things have happened but I give the Miners less than a minuscule chance of winning this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT