ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP @ Sam Houston State Game Thread

Congratulations to the Miners! I must admit, the taste of victory is sweeter than the bitterness of defeat. However, I can't help but feel a lingering disappointment in how the Dimel-led rebuild has unfolded. Nevertheless, let's savor this moment and look forward to the potential for even more success 😜.

Realistic View:
The Miners got to 3 wins this year that's all that was accomplished. We're better than a good FCS team and won 2 games on the road against two really bad FBS teams. Dimel had his best team in 6 years, (so he says) and didn't perform like it. Can't blame the season on injuries, because Utep was losing even when healthy. Dimel didn't build after the covid year and get better besides the following year. That year still should've been more as we were 6-1 and lost the last 5 of 6. Last year I really thought was the year, but underachieved at 5-7. This year again was billed as the year and they are looking to be a 3 win team. While last night was an entertaining game against a team with 0 wins, it wasn't impressive. I guess it's ok to let Dimel finish out the year and address his team and have time to relocate his family. However the announcement needs to be made immediately after the season.

I agree with immediately after the season for Dimel. But that begs the question of when do we get rid of Senter? Do we let him hire the next football coach? The administration should have started looking hard for a replacement for Dimel two or three weeks ago. The main question here is one of timing what to do, rather than in what we should do.

Realistic View:
The Miners got to 3 wins this year that's all that was accomplished. We're better than a good FCS team and won 2 games on the road against two really bad FBS teams. Dimel had his best team in 6 years, (so he says) and didn't perform like it. Can't blame the season on injuries, because Utep was losing even when healthy. Dimel didn't build after the covid year and get better besides the following year. That year still should've been more as we were 6-1 and lost the last 5 of 6. Last year I really thought was the year, but underachieved at 5-7. This year again was billed as the year and they are looking to be a 3 win team. While last night was an entertaining game against a team with 0 wins, it wasn't impressive. I guess it's ok to let Dimel finish out the year and address his team and have time to relocate his family. However the announcement needs to be made immediately after the season.

A Little Harsh but true.

I hope they keep winning but I think you're right on what the reality is. They have battled injuries but the more concerning part is the self redshirts like Tyrin Smith. How many chances did Dimel give this Cancer? I only see 1 scenario in which Dimel survives the season, and that's to win out. And Dimel is a great guy and its hard to root against Good People. But its pretty clear that more seasons of Dimel is not going to work out.

Terminating Dimel's contract before it expires will cost us $552,000. Considering the strong friendship between Senter and Dimel, it's unlikely he will be let go before the season concludes. UTEP should take a more decisive approach and hold their coaches to the same standards as any other football team in the nation. Six years with more than double the losses than wins is a clear indicator that it's time for a change. This decision, while tough, could provide Dimel's family with ample time to make necessary moving arrangements.

Terminating Dimel's contract before it expires will cost us $552,000. Considering the strong friendship between Senter and Dimel, it's unlikely he will be let go before the season concludes. UTEP should take a more decisive approach and hold their coaches to the same standards as any other football team in the nation. Six years with more than double the losses than wins is a clear indicator that it's time for a change. This decision, while tough, could provide Dimel's family with ample time to make necessary moving arrangements.
Good point, while I dont feel too bad for Dimel's family... They are paid handsomely... The "other" football staff members, will feel impact alot harder...

Good point, while I dont feel too bad for Dimel's family... They are paid handsomely... The "other" football staff members, will feel impact alot harder...
Yeah I thought about that last night. A mid season firing hurts them alot more. I'm ok with this being dealt with as soon as the season is over.

Yeah I thought about that last night. A mid season firing hurts them alot more. I'm ok with this being dealt with as soon as the season is over.
No it doesn’t. The football coaches aren’t McDonalds workers that stop collecting money the second they’re fired. They have contracts and would be paid out for the whole season, assuming they weren’t let go for misconduct.

You can only fire 1 or 2 coaches at max during the season. Typically their responsibilities would be passed on to another current worker, like any other job. Then, nobody is going to be hired or would take an OC job for 3 games. That money is already a sunk cost anyway.

If you get let go a few months early, when you would have been replaced anyway, that is actually BETTER for you and your family. You can start planning your next move earlier, while getting paid.

No it doesn’t. The football coaches aren’t McDonalds workers that stop collecting money the second they’re fired. They have contracts and would be paid out for the whole season, assuming they weren’t let go for misconduct.

You can only fire 1 or 2 coaches at max during the season. Typically their responsibilities would be passed on to another current worker, like any other job. Then, nobody is going to be hired or would take an OC job for 3 games. That money is already a sunk cost anyway.

If you get let go a few months early, when you would have been replaced anyway, that is actually BETTER for you and your family. You can start planning your next move earlier, while getting paid.
Well I didn't know all that, so ok Fire Em All Now!!!!! Lol 🤣

Dimel’s next move is a fishing boat and somewhere to dock it.

CUSA will play Tuesday and Wednesday games in October as long as their current media deal lasts.

Thursday and Friday games are considered normal and even P5 teams play them.

Hardison can, and that's worked for the Miners so well, the last numbers of years...
The discussion should be who's our QB next year is it McConnell or MacNamara in the battle of MCvsMAC I think Hurley will be a change of pace and get some time too. That is if they're all still there after what will be alot of changes next year. Pretty sure Hardison is done for the year, one does wonder if Mc Connell played against La Tech from the start do we win that game that was up in the air into the 4th. I like McConnell, but obviously he needs work. I'd like to see him in a different offense next year. The game plan called in the second half against SH may have won UTEP 1 or 2 more games this year and things may have looked a little different. However Dimel's hard headedness is what will have him out of a HC job at the end of the year.

.....I like McConnell, but obviously he needs work. I'd like to see him in a different offense next year....
Palmer was directly recruited by Nord with Nord promising he will be at qb. Palmer struggled under Nord's offense but flourished when Price arrived.

Reactions: MinerManiac
The discussion should be who's our QB next year is it McConnell or MacNamara in the battle of MCvsMAC I think Hurley will be a change of pace and get some time too. That is if they're all still there after what will be alot of changes next year. Pretty sure Hardison is done for the year, one does wonder if Mc Connell played against La Tech from the start do we win that game that was up in the air into the 4th. I like McConnell, but obviously he needs work. I'd like to see him in a different offense next year. The game plan called in the second half against SH may have won UTEP 1 or 2 more games this year and things may have looked a little different. However Dimel's hard headedness is what will have him out of a HC job at the end of the year.
I'd like to see Mouser or Cade. McNamara, from the limited time we've seen him, he did not look better than Cade. Otherwise, the new head coach needs to go shopping for a QB transfer.

I don’t think we saw enough of McNamara to give up on the kid. We have some games left, throw him into the mix to see if he’s got it. I liked what I saw in the limited action he has seen. He moved the ball well, made sound decisions, and comes with pedigree.

I’m not saying he’s the answer but I don’t know if he is or isn’t with the little he has played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT