ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP MBB @Marshall

These guys played very well, even Thomas. Unfortunately we're always a couple of breaks away from a win, but we definitely played hard tonight, hopefully this effort continues for the rest of the year.

Reactions: minermx07
These guys played very well, even Thomas. Unfortunately we're always a couple of breaks away from a win, but we definitely played hard tonight, hopefully this effort continues for the rest of the year.
damn to's reared their ugly head.

Turnovers and blocked shots did us in tonight.

The freshmen combined for 63 points. A new UTEP record.

Last edited:
Reactions: minermx07
It was a fun game to watch. I think they're trying to get that monkey off their back with no road wins. Can't wait for the home stand

UTEP need to completely shut down Elmore tonight. He is slowly creeping up in the CUSA record books. We need the team to do their part and make sure he doesn’t reach those records.

He needs 12 assists to overtake Stone as the #1 assist leader.

He needs 169 points to overtake Jackson as the #1 points leader.
It was a nice thought Corona!

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Have to admit I didn't really know who jon Elmore was before that game, but holy shh... kid is ridiculous. Didn't realize we had someone in the conf that was so good.

Wonder why he doesn't get more media attention.

Have to admit I didn't really know who jon Elmore was before that game, but holy shh... kid is ridiculous. Didn't realize we had someone in the conf that was so good.

Elmore was outstanding in the NCAA tourney last year, making shots from all over the court. Him and Jackson from UTSA are tremendous offensively, and tough to stop when they get hot. Two under publicized guys nationally.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Here's our biggest issue, and it parlays into next year as well.

We don't have a legit ball handler, or a guard who can get us into offense cleanly.

Put Dominic Artis on this team, and we're maybe talking about a 6th place finish or better, I'm very concerned that we don't have a suitable ball handler going forward (don't want to say true PG), these turnovers are ridiculous, as much talent that we will have next year, the fact we don't have a smooth handler, and distributor should be a concern.

However, I like what RT talked about in terms of fundamentals after the game, meaning Lathon and Hawkins will be working a lot this summer on the basics of ball handling and passing, and Kobe Magee is not a D1 guard.

Thoughts?

He does he lit it up the 1st game of the NCAA last year and almost went NBA as a JR, but stayed for his SR year. Marshall was supposed to be alot better than they are this year.

Couldn't watch the game on TV last night, as apparently beIN Sports is not on the package I currently have with Spectrum Cable. Listened to it on radio though. Despite the loss, our freshmen played very well. If they stay on the team next season, combined with the incoming talent already on scholarship, UTEP will be very fun to watch next season and the years to come.

Again, the pessimist in me continues to say, IF THE TEAM STAYS TOGETHER!

We don't have a legit ball handler, or a guard who can get us into offense cleanly.

Put Dominic Artis on this team, and we're maybe talking about a 6th place finish or better, I'm very concerned that we don't have a suitable ball handler going forward (don't want to say true PG), these turnovers are ridiculous, as much talent that we will have next year, the fact we don't have a smooth handler, and distributor should be a concern.

However, I like what RT talked about in terms of fundamentals after the game, meaning Lathon and Hawkins will be working a lot this summer on the basics of ball handling and passing, and Kobe Magee is not a D1 guard.

Thoughts?
This is my biggest concern as well Bigwood, and I have mentioned it previously. Right now, Terry seems ok with putting his faith in Lathon, and the young incoming freshman from Houston. The team could also use a knockdown shooter, and that looks to be Wenzel. I do see some simlarities between Artis and Lathon in terms of overall play, but Lathon has a ways to go in terms of running a team. Hopefully, he makes the big jump next year. You can't put a value on experience.

Thoughts?
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but did Terry really say McGee was not a D1 guard?? Either way, McGee is the obvious 1st man out IMO.

I think Lathon is our PG moving forward so he definitely needs to continue to work on his handle and ball security. He is averaging 3 assists per game and hopefully that can more than double next season.

Hawkins has been a turnover machine, but his increased scoring is compensating a bit. He must get better since he likes to attack the rim.

Gilyard has a score 1st mentality so I would like him to stay aggressive shooting 3s and driving. I think his assists can jump a little on his drives.

Zarzuela is averaging 3.5 assists per game and seems to more of a scorer on the high school level. I think his assists can jump when he has better players around him

Boum averaged 1 assist in 20 min a game last year. I think Terry will look for he and Wenzel to score off the bench

Archie handles the ball a lot in his videos and said he could see the point in bigger lineups.

I think Tarke and Stroud will be wing type players so any assists from them will be a bonus.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but did Terry really say McGee was not a D1 guard?? Either way, McGee is the obvious 1st man out IMO.

I think Lathon is our PG moving forward so he definitely needs to continue to work on his handle and ball security. He is averaging 3 assists per game and hopefully that can more than double next season.

Hawkins has been a turnover machine, but his increased scoring is compensating a bit. He must get better since he likes to attack the rim.

Gilyard has a score 1st mentality so I would like him to stay aggressive shooting 3s and driving. I think his assists can jump a little on his drives.

Zarzuela is averaging 3.5 assists per game and seems to more of a scorer on the high school level. I think his assists can jump when he has better players around him

Boum averaged 1 assist in 20 min a game last year. I think Terry will look for he and Wenzel to score off the bench

Archie handles the ball a lot in his videos and said he could see the point in bigger lineups.

I think Tarke and Stroud will be wing type players so any assists from them will be a bonus.
My bad, Terry did not say that about Magee, that is my opinion LOL my bad....

I too am concerned about the future at the point. We have an enormous level of talent for next year combining this year's frosh with the transfers. From reviewing all the videos of the transfers and incoming freshman it seems that the guards and the forwards as well are great dribble drive penetrators, but are any of them three point threats? If we can inpose perimeter scoring to supplement the obvious inside scoring plus develop a reliable point to distribute and limit the turnovers, I see greatness.
I had considered a lineup without Efe for next year and going with Williams and Tarke plus assorted guards, but how can you not start 22 points and 19 rebounds? Let the other guys do the jumping and show their athleticism.

Last edited:
From what I remember seeing Wenzel and Boum are supposed to be pretty good shooters.... what about the rest of the newcomers?? We need shooters

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT