ADVERTISEMENT

Utep only team in Texas

Houston has had a charmed path. Four games against double-digit seeds, and really should have lost to Buttgers.

(Oregon State turned out to be really good, though.)

I am just amazed how Houston grabs the offensive boards game after game. If UTEP could board like that, then it wouldn't matter so much all the shots they miss. (Houston shot like UTEP today.)

I think Baylor would be a bad matchup for Houston. But I think Houston could take Arkansas, and I think Arkansas has a (slim) chance to take Baylor.
I agree with both the “charmed path” sentiment, as well as this being the end of the road for UH. I have them bowing out to Baylor in the Final 4. Obviously BU has to get by Arkansas first.

Also am amazed at how many 2nd and 3rd chance point opportunities they “create”. They are ball hawks. It’s all hustle and desire.

Can you tell me when the last one was? 1982. That is exactly the point that is being made here.
That is why we hang onto being the only team in Texas to win in basketball, because we still have to go back almost 40 years for our last track and field success. 40 years from now, will we win another in any sport?

Sad again that we have to look back that far. I bet in 1982 they never would have believed that they would go 40 and never win another one. And if you told them that, and the state of our athletic dept now, they would think you were crazy.

Can you tell me when the last one was? 1982. That is exactly the point that is being made here.
That is why we hang onto being the only team in Texas to win in basketball, because we still have to go back almost 40 years for our last track and field success. 40 years from now, will we win another in any sport?

Sad again that we have to look back that far. I bet in 1982 they never would have believed that they would go 40 and never win another one. And if you told them that, and the state of our athletic dept now, they would think you were crazy.

Yeah and again, nobody gives a funk about T&F. If the Miners won a rifle title, would anyone care? I bet nobody here could name the rifle coach without looking it up, or the T&F coach.

Reactions: kickballpro
Defend the integrity of Sampson.

Haskins committed NCAA violations too. The Cougars have won more games in the last 3 NCAA tournaments than UTEP has in 50 years. I wish UTEP hired a coach like Sampson. We hired one of the dirtiest guys in college basketball and still couldn’t win.

Kelvin Sampson’s infraction: telephone recruiting violations between 2006-2008.

CTF’s: USC self-imposed sanctions due to Tim Floyd's illegal payments to a USC booster that had ties to former Trojan OJ Mayo.

Sampson is cleaner than Irish Spring now.

Sampson had a show cause I think?

It’s just my hunch — time will tell.

So you’d cheat to win.

God damn right. History has proven that it is an effective way to win. The cheating/cheaters are quickly forgotten, and with today’s “whiny” people, schools are punished less to not hurt the current roster.

Baylor had a coach that told players to make a kid he was paying money to, a drug dealer. Then he ended up murdered. Baylor is playing for a Final 4 spot right now. Nobody cares about that player or Dave Bliss anymore.

Nobody cares Coach Cal cheated at Memphis or UMass. He’s the coach of Kentucky.

I’ll take 4 years of glory and 2 years of “shame” if it means we won big.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Sampson had a show cause I think?

It’s just my hunch — time will tell.
Yep. For persistent telephone recruiting violations. He did cheat 15 years ago. He did his time and paid his dues. Live and learn. He was doing what damn near everyone else was doing at the time. He just got caught...multiple times. He’s clean now. I honestly don’t think he’d jeopardize his son’s job as head coach in waiting. His future job rests on Sampson running a clean program. Like you said, only time will tell though.

God damn right. History has proven that it is an effective way to win. The cheating/cheaters are quickly forgotten, and with today’s “whiny” people, schools are punished less to not hurt the current roster.

Baylor had a coach that told players to make a kid he was paying money to, a drug dealer. Then he ended up murdered. Baylor is playing for a Final 4 spot right now. Nobody cares about that player or Dave Bliss anymore.

Nobody cares Coach Cal cheated at Memphis or UMass. He’s the coach of Kentucky.

I’ll take 4 years of glory and 2 years of “shame” if it means we won big.

MBB is a dirty game, but there are shades of dirtiness.

If UTEP went full dirty, we’d be made an example of by the NCAA.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yep. For persistent telephone recruiting violations. He did cheat 15 years ago. He did his time and paid his dues. Live and learn. He was doing what damn near everyone else was doing at the time. He just got caught...multiple times. He’s clean now. I honestly don’t think he’d jeopardize his son’s job as head coach in waiting. His future job rests on Sampson running a clean program. Like you said, only time will tell though.

You say he’s squeaky clean. I’m not so sure.

If UTEP went full dirty, we’d be made an example of by the NCAA.

That’s your opinion. Again, things have changed. Recent punishments are geared towards the coaches and not the remaining players or future players. All the pundits cry and scream when the NCAA punishes a school.

Penn St covered up a fvcking child molester and the NCAA walked back the punishment because it had nothing to do with the current staff and players. Unless the school is cheating from the top down, punishment will be minimal.

That’s your opinion. Again, things have changed. Recent punishments are geared towards the coaches and not the remaining players or future players. All the pundits cry and scream when the NCAA punishes a school.

Penn St covered up a fvcking child molester and the NCAA walked back the punishment because it had nothing to do with the current staff and players. Unless the school is cheating from the top down, punishment will be minimal.

So how far would you go to win? Covering up rape? Paying players or their friends/relatives who then pay players? Pressuring professors to pass players? Cheating on tests/papers?

Anyone see that Mitchell kid putting some Timmy moves tonight on Arkansas? Haven't seen those two step up and under drives to the basket in a long time.

But Baylor is Baylor. "Lack of institutional control" means "open to interpretation" to them.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
So how far would you go to win? Covering up rape? Paying players or their friends/relatives who then pay players? Pressuring professors to pass players? Cheating on tests/papers?

No rapes. Though I believe most of us have thrown Briles name around in football.

Whatever gets us the players, I am good with.

Yes, but OU spent 3 years on probation because of his actions, as did Indiana. He did it multiple times after being banned at Indiana, and then was given a 5 year show of cause and banned from basketball for 5 years.
The problem is that the school paid for his violations for years. So, it hurt the school, and he really didn't care what his actions did to the school after the fact.

A guy like that is no way going to be clean. Houston has not had the success like this on a national level, I would say they will be under the microscope now, and lets see what comes up.

Now in saying all that, if this happened at UTEP and he made the final 4 and later the team was put on a 3 year probation, I would not care at all. UTEP is the kind of school that gets a 3 year probation when they have a .500 record. Make the probation worth it. So, do I condemn Sampson for what he is doing? No, because no one remembers the probation, everyone remembers the Final 4.

Yes, but OU spent 3 years on probation because of his actions, as did Indiana. He did it multiple times after being banned at Indiana, and then was given a 5 year show of cause and banned from basketball for 5 years.
The problem is that the school paid for his violations for years. So, it hurt the school, and he really didn't care what his actions did to the school after the fact.

A guy like that is no way going to be clean. Houston has not had the success like this on a national level, I would say they will be under the microscope now, and lets see what comes up.

Now in saying all that, if this happened at UTEP and he made the final 4 and later the team was put on a 3 year probation, I would not care at all. UTEP is the kind of school that gets a 3 year probation when they have a .500 record. Make the probation worth it. So, do I condemn Sampson for what he is doing? No, because no one remembers the probation, everyone remembers the Final 4.

He has been so under the microscope since his arrival at UH. I’m by no means suggesting I’m “in the know”, but I met a couple big money donors while my son played ball at UH, and the consensus is that he’s running clean and he’s doing so by necessity over all other reasons. Also, I chalk as much of the reason up to his son being head coach in waiting. I really don’t think he’d wanna **** that up. I’m not trying to convince you or anyone else, but I think he’s on the up and up now. To each their own tho.

Last edited:
I don't know if UH is cheating. I know they have big time donors investing heavy money and an administration that makes all the right moves. From the AD's to the coaches they hire.

Not bad, going from losing games to us in football to winning a NYB and making a Final Four run, maybe even more.

How things have changed in the last decade.

Given our luck lately, Gonzaga will get to the final game, have a Covid outbreak, and Baylor/UH will win the championship in a no contest game.

When USC takes out Gonzaga tonight, the odds of a Texas school winning will grow. I starting to think UH is a team of destiny. Their sixth trip to the final four may be the magic one.

USC is scary. I'm pounding the moneyline tonight on that game against Gonzaga. They are a terrible matchup for the Zags.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
When USC takes out Gonzaga tonight, the odds of a Texas school winning will grow. I starting to think UH is a team of destiny. Their sixth trip to the final four may be the magic one.

USC is scary. I'm pounding the moneyline tonight on that game against Gonzaga. They are a terrible matchup for the Zags.

I'm not quite ready to bet against Gonzaga but IF I was going to bet against them it would be with USC. USC is playing really well right now. Thankfully there's still time for me to get a bet in before tip-off if I decide to.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

Why do you think USC is a terrible matchup for Gonzaga?

The matchup is not a bad one for Gonzaga as they have the scorers. The second key is that everyone says Mobley is going to have a great game. That is fine, he can have one and be neutralized by an equal game by Timme who also gets 20 points and 10 rebounds per game. Gonzaga also has multiple scoring threats. If USC is going to win, they will have to almost flawless.

A money line bet may be a stretch as it gives you no room for error. USC will have to hold Gonzaga to under 70 to win. If you are confident then you should add the under to your bet if you think USC is going to win outright. No reason to not parlay that as well.

I don't think Gonzaga or Baylor make it to the second weekend. I'm high on the big ten schools. Depending how the brackets shake out there could be 2 or three big ten schools in the final four. Really like Illinois, Brad Underwood is a hell of a coach. I like Michigan they're battle tested. I feel like Iowa is going to be a tough matchup for anyone, they're built for March.

I think Houston has the best chance of any of the Texas schools to win it all. I think they will be the last Texas school standing.

I see Texas we make the deepest run of the big 12 schools. I think they make it to the elite 8.

San Diego State and Loyola have legit shots of getting to the final four.
Well, maybe you'll get one right. Because if I missed all of those predictions I wouldn't be banging the money line tonight on USC. Though, you did see Houston where they are, I would have thought they would have lost by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1
The matchup is not a bad one for Gonzaga as they have the scorers. The second key is that everyone says Mobley is going to have a great game. That is fine, he can have one and be neutralized by an equal game by Timme who also gets 20 points and 10 rebounds per game. Gonzaga also has multiple scoring threats. If USC is going to win, they will have to almost flawless.

A money line bet may be a stretch as it gives you no room for error. USC will have to hold Gonzaga to under 70 to win. If you are confident then you should add the under to your bet if you think USC is going to win outright. No reason to not parlay that as well.

I'm usually pretty decent when it comes to March Madness. This year I was off. Especially when it came to Illinois.

I have Gonzaga fatigue. It's been 20 years. I expect a choke. This may be the year but they have to prove it.

If I bet I don't bet the entire board. I bet games I can get the most value. That's why I took USC on the moneyline. The +350 is too inticing.

USC's zone defense is going to be trouble for Gonzaga. USC is long and athletic. Gonzaga shoots over 60% USC hold their opponents to under 40% shooting. USC will not let them get points in the transition.
I hear you, but I have to give Gonzaga and Mark Few the benefit of the doubt.

I hear you, but I have to give Gonzaga and Mark Few the benefit of the doubt.

I took USC and the +360 straight up. Not looking too good 10 minutes in but it's still the first half. Not saying they'll pull an Oregon State type comeback but there's time. Gonzaga looks absolutely dominant.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Wow. Gonzaga is killing it. Looks like they are going to run away with this one. I don't remember the last time I saw a team play so fast and yet under control.

Would be something really special to see UTEP play even half as well as Gonzaga but that is forever away.

I'm usually pretty decent when it comes to March Madness. This year I was off. Especially when it came to Illinois.

I have Gonzaga fatigue. It's been 20 years. I expect a choke. This may be the year but they have to prove it.

If I bet I don't bet the entire board. I bet games I can get the most value. That's why I took USC on the moneyline. The +350 is too inticing.
When you are off, you need to re-evaluate the way you handicap a game. A zone defense will not give Gonzaga any trouble. If that was why you bet USC that was your huge mistake. Taco77 on here is right in his evaluation that a strong man to man will be the only way to beat Gonzaga. Finding that matchup is the issue, but a zone is a joke for Gonzaga.

Just like I said, let Mobley have his points because he is offset by Timee, and Gonzaga has 5 players that share the scoring. They are not limited. The spread was 8.5 for a reason. And actually that was low, to get you to bet the USC side as Gonzaga was a heavy favorite.

I have Baylor, Gonzaga and Michigan in my final 4. Houston was in my Elite 8 losing to SDSU. I thought Illinois would also have a better showing, but I gave the Big 10 an ounce of credit, which I shouldn't have. Gonzaga by far was my favorite to win the whole thing as they played the toughest OOC schedule. It will take a perfect game to beat them.

Last edited:
When you are off, you need to re-evaluate the way you handicap a game. A zone defense will not give Gonzaga any trouble. If that was why you bet USC that was your huge mistake. Taco77 on here is right in his evaluation that a strong man to man will be the only way to beat Gonzaga. Finding that matchup is the issue, but a zone is a joke for Gonzaga.

Just like I said, let Mobley have his points because he is offset by Timee, and Gonzaga has 5 players that share the scoring. They are not limited. The spread was 8.5 for a reason. And actually that was low, to get you to bet the USC side as Gonzaga was a heavy favorite.

I have Baylor, Gonzaga and Michigan in my final 4. Houston was in my Elite 8 losing to SDSU. I thought Illinois would also have a better showing, but I gave the Big 10 an ounce of credit, which I shouldn't have. Gonzaga by far was my favorite to win the whole thing as they played the toughest OOC schedule. It will take a perfect game to beat them.

You win some you lose some. I was impressed by Gonzaga. Very impressive game. I new it was over when it was 19-4. SC's game is to slow it down. They don't shoot the three very well.

Honestly the only team I can see possibly beating Gonzaga is Michigan and its not a lock they'll beat UCLA. Just for a matchup I would love to see the Zags and UH match up in the title game. Give the Cougars the chance to play the role of NC State.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT