ADVERTISEMENT

Utep playing at the SAC

I think that's a legit question, I'd say it would give it small bump in attendance if that was a case. You'd get more families who are sports fans and bored, and its close instead going all the way to the west.

+1 question.

I agree good question. As a lifetime east sider I can’t give you an unbiased answer. #EastIsABeast

Attendance would get a huge boost if they served Chico's Tacos at the games. That way the west-siders could get their Chico's fix without trekking all the way to the east side!

(UTEP is barely on the west side; I think of it as on the fringe of downtown.)

El Pasoans are weird though, for East Siders anything past downtown is too far. For West siders its vice versa. Everything is too out of the way for everyone. But I do agree that parking is a nightmare. I drove by the Sun Bowl when they had the monster trucks and it looked like a disaster. If (God willing) UTEP FB gets their sh*t together parking at UTEP will be beyond awful.

Been to other towns were it’s worse. For the Seattle Sounders we had to park 3 miles away and still paid &10.00.
I don’t mind driving to utep from Lee Trevino.

Reactions: UTEP Grade
Been to other towns were it’s worse. For the Seattle Sounders we had to park 3 miles away and still paid &10.00.
I don’t mind driving to utep from Lee Trevino.

The problem is a lot of people are lazy. I park at the free parking garage right by the business building for football games and walk to the Sun Bowl. For basketball I either park at the softball field or on the street. It's not that far.

Reactions: MinerJo
El Pasoans are weird though, for East Siders anything past downtown is too far. For West siders its vice versa. Everything is too out of the way for everyone. But I do agree that parking is a nightmare. I drove by the Sun Bowl when they had the monster trucks and it looked like a disaster. If (God willing) UTEP FB gets their sh*t together parking at UTEP will be beyond awful.

UTEP had a lot less parking spaces when Price sold out the Sun Bowl and parking was fine. Some people are just too lazy to walk and want a space right in the front of the stadium.

Question

Do you think if Sun Bowl and Haskins center was in the eastside of town, Would attendance be higher, lower, or the same? If im not mistaken eastide population is higher than the westside?

The eastside wasn't the eastside until the late 1990s when the housing bonanza hit (you could buy a tract house for zero down) and the population swelled like crazy so it's a moot point IMO. SAC is a nice idea. Hope it works.

Reactions: burnme1
I've lived by Montwood for the past 15 years, but I grew up on University Ave and I considered myself a westsider until I got married. I have friends/family on both sides of town and I also work east and central. Anyway, I don't mind driving to the games or paying for parking if I have to. I'd rather have season tickets with parking, but I just couldn't keep giving to the crap show.

I doubt more people would show up if games were on the eastside. A lot of the westside fans would complain. Aside from winning, food and drinks are what El Pasoans love. Upgrade that and more will show up.

I've lived by Montwood for the past 15 years, but I grew up on University Ave and I considered myself a westsider until I got married. I have friends/family on both sides of town and I also work east and central. Anyway, I don't mind driving to the games or paying for parking if I have to. I'd rather have season tickets with parking, but I just couldn't keep giving to the crap show.

I doubt more people would show up if games were on the eastside. A lot of the westside fans would complain. Aside from winning, food and drinks are what El Pasoans love. Upgrade that and more will show up.
Add some Jerry World attractions. El Pasoans will pack the SAC for Cowboy plastic pom-poms made in China and stick up in their Cowboys living room shrine next to the Miller Lite Super Bowl XXVII Commemorative Beer Can.

UTEP had a lot less parking spaces when Price sold out the Sun Bowl and parking was fine. Some people are just too lazy to walk and want a space right in the front of the stadium.

I remember going to a UTEP/NMSU game in one of Price’s first couple of years. I want to say ‘06. And I remember taking the shuttle from the parking lot on Shuster to the stadium and people were walking and passing us because there was so much traffic. You would think if the UTEP games have that type of attendance they may eventually charge to park in all the lots.

How is parking a shit show? I always find a space very easily.

I would have signs with arrows to parking lots. Charge fans for parking. No charge for season ticket holders. Then when you pull into the lot there are flag people that point you to a space. Once the lot is filled it’s closed and you move to the next lot. All lanes going into the Sun Bowl are one way pregame and then post game they’re one way in the other direction. Like how Disneyland does it.

I am not a fan of ‘find a lot, find a space.’ I think it turns off the casual fan that is going to one game a year.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I would have signs with arrows to parking lots. Charge fans for parking. No charge for season ticket holders. Then when you pull into the lot there are flag people that point you to a space. Once the lot is filled it’s closed and you move to the next lot. All lanes going into the Sun Bowl are one way pregame and then post game they’re one way in the other direction. Like how Disneyland does it.

I am not a fan of ‘find a lot, find a space.’ I think it turns off the casual fan that is going to one game a year.
If UTEP charged for parking even fewer people will attend.

You can do one way traffic at Disneyland because there is so much traffic entering at the beginning of the day and then EVERYONE is leaving at night. Can you realistically divert all traffic before and after a game especially when people are arriving throughout the day and leaving even later because of the tailgating? And really they divert traffic on their property and not on Harbor Blvd.

I know where to park.. But if you get off on Executive and go up Sun Bowl, you're going to run into barriers and you're gonna see unused empty lots that aren't available to you. I park on the South but I get my tickets from Will Call which is on the North. The only option is a shuttle. But I know that from Trial and Error.

If you're driving down I-10, and have never been to the Sun Bowl, which exit is labeled Sun Bowl or Sun Bowl Parking. If you're coming from the East you exit the Freeway at Schuster, which street are the lots on. If you've never been, you might travel North on Sun Bowl which will lead to frustration.

If you park far south, is there any signage pointing to the Sun Bowl? Or do you just have to already know about the shuttle? I went to Guns N Roses, parked South and the only gates they opened for the event was North.

My point being is that WE go to the games and know where to go. But a few years ago I only parked at Las Palmas. Had done that for years. After the brawl, it was shut down. I go to almost every game and had no idea where to go. Luckily, I went on this board and was told about the place I park now. I can't imagine someone who goes to a Miner game the first time and doesn't already know the drill. Thats a problem when you have a declining fan base.

There is parking around UTEP, and I am not sure about enough spaces. I remember from a talk Jim Senter said they are going to look into it so if improvements can be made then they will. Personally, I never have a hard time finding a parking, maybe because where I usually park there is a usually a space. I know a lot of people complain about walking to the stadium, but if you get there and sit down the whole then why complain. Tickets are low and hopefully they change up the concession prices because it gets expensive after awhile. All of you need to stop complaining and show up and cheer the teams on no matter what. The team knows we can't have another 0-12 season, and this has positive feeling going for it right now. So believe in the change Mr. Senter and Coach Dimel are talking about, and it will not happen over night.

What's the problem with parking?
3 problems:

A) UTEP was built on the foothills of the Franklin Mountains. It's a desert hill of solid rock.
B) Because of "A", gravity comes into play.
C)If you are 50 or above, handicapped or both, "A" and "B" become a challenge.

Reactions: MinerManiac
3 problems:

A) UTEP was built on the foothills of the Franklin Mountains. It's a desert hill of solid rock.
B) Because of "A", gravity comes into play.
C)If you are 50 or above, handicapped or both, "A" and "B" become a challenge.
Parking garages are great for situations like that. An area that can only accommodated 200 cars can suddenly accommodate 800 with the proper design. Not a cheap solution but still a solution. So we can list the problems for Mr. Senter and I have confidence he will find some solutions.

They need to build another parking garage. We also need a tailgate area.
I remember a few years back we used to go out there early and have
fun, cooking, drinking and playing music. Once they restricted the tailgating
things got bad.

Go Miners...

They need to build another parking garage. We also need a tailgate area.
I remember a few years back we used to go out there early and have
fun, cooking, drinking and playing music. Once they restricted the tailgating
things got bad.

Go Miners...

You should have gone to the town hall to vocalize this to Mr. Senter! Saying it here won't do any good

You should have gone to the town hall to vocalize this to Mr. Senter! Saying it here won't do any good

You tell em Cubey! He should have gone to the QueFUX town hall and so far he would have been the only fan to bring up tailgating. I don't think anyone has brought that up before.

I think if parking wasn’t such a shit show at UTEP, attendance would be better
There are so many flat parking spots around campus that it would be easy to find space near the Sun Bowl to put up massive parking garages just for athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT