ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP/Tennessee Game Thread

Locksley's arm drives me nutz. Defense looking good but not sealing lanes.

Wadley - 7 touches. SMH!!! Needs 20 plus touches. Even with our sh!tty o line he’s averting over 4 yds per carry.

Locksley - 5 of 17 for 38 yards. Still SMH!
I rather see what Wadley/Hughes can do even if the Vols stuff the box than to see incomplete passes.

But I also see the other side of the coin if the run doesn’t work and we have Wadley 20 carries for 60 yards we are basically back to the Kugler era.

So last 2 weeks they throw Metz in the game to throw. Tenn has struggled with the passing, and perhaps maybe they should have let Metz pass some? Until he throws his pick? Lol what about Jones? Why not see what he can do in a game? 3 games in, and it feels like a kugler season already

Reactions: axingfools1
I rather see what Wadley/Hughes can do even if the Vols stuff the box than to see incomplete passes.

But I also see the other side of the coin if the run doesn’t work and we have Wadley 20 carries for 60 yards we are basically back to the Kugler era.
How about toss sweeps, misdirection, screens, wheels, slants, flats. There are all kinds of ways to use a good RB when the O-line isn't that great. Even try some option like fanatiCoog said. Our RPO run game takes tooooo long to even get started.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

Agree. But let him run until that’s the case. At this rate, 25 touches goes for over 100 yards.

I don’t know. It’s just hard to watch.

How about toss sweeps, misdirection, screens, wheels, slants, flats. There are all kinds of ways to use a good RB when the O-line isn't that great. Even try some option like fanatiCoog said. Our RPO run game takes tooooo long to even get started.
It would be a good question to ask Dimel on his show why doesn’t Canales use his rb playmakers in different running scenarios.

My guess is they don’t trust the o line to hold up, so they rather put the ball in Kai’s hands and let him either find a receiver or make something happen with his feet.

Agree. But let him run until that’s the case. At this rate, 25 touches goes for over 100 yards.

I don’t know. It’s just hard to watch.
Then it raises the question if the only reason his yards per carry average is high is due to the play calling of sparingly handing off. It’s as if Canales is trying to use reverse psychology offense. Instead of running running until hitting the big pass on play action. He wants to pass pass until finding some good runs with the defense off guard.

I agree the offense has been hard to watch since Jones went to the NFL.

On the bright side we covered. I don’t think anyone out there thought we could.

I don't think they want to run Wadley into the ground, that's the only logical explanation for his sparse snaps.

I don't think they want to run Wadley into the ground, that's the only logical explanation for his sparse snaps.

Perhaps. That would be the ONLY logical reason. Saving him for conference play. I question whether it’s logic making the decisions, though.

Reactions: develman
That might be a tangled web. Do we even know who calls the plays?

I assume it’s Canales. Maybe I’m wrong. It just doesn’t look anything like a Dimel called game. At least what I know of Dimel. I would like to know, though.

To only use Wadley 5 times is ridiculous, whether it is Canales or Dimel. It makes no sense to give so few opportunities to one of the few playmakers on the team. That said, the players still need to mame plays. That bad throw by Locksley to Wadley on the wheel route is just another example of why the team is as bad as they are.

Glad to have watched this game on SEC ESPN Channel. It's about what I expected for a team in transition, struggling, at the bottom, really nowhere to go but up. Starts next week when the Miners end their losing streak.

Reactions: utep2step
To only use Wadley 5 times is ridiculous, whether it is Canales or Dimel. It makes no sense to give so few opportunities to one of the few playmakers on the team. That said, the players still need to mame plays. That bad throw by Locksley to Wadley on the wheel route is just another example of why the team is as bad as they are.
That wheel route had 50 yards written all over it.

Cut the gawd damned stupid Raideresque penalties and now that UTEP is passing, they need to improve on increasing their percentages and they will find themselves in games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT